PDA

View Full Version : Deer there now, where will they be in October?

MichelD
04-27-2015, 09:47 AM
I spent the better part of Saturday and Sunday inspecting some of our proven bear spots with only one confirmed poop sighting. It's still too early.

During our adventure however, we came across a hillside where we encountered 11 deer before 10:00 am. All antlerless. Not even any velvet nobbies to be seen.

Anyway, I was just wondering what theories you may have about deer migration. They were not very far below the snow line grazing on new vegetation. I suspect they work their way up the valley towards the higher portion following the greening of the vegetation the spring and work their way down ahead of the snow in the fall.

So; they are there in April, where will they be in October and November?

Daybreak
04-27-2015, 06:48 PM
Mulies right?

Not necessarily. Food sources and reproduction are two driving forces in deer movement. Their diet changes with the seasons and an area that provides good feed for the spring may not provide feed for in the fall. No feed, no deer.

If deer spend time in an area during Oct and Nov there will be rubs visible from previous seasons. Find these rubs and it is a pretty safe bet there will be deer in the area come fall. If you can't find any rubs I would be moving on until you do. Sometimes the signs are found in the smallest pockets in an area that otherwise seems devoid. Just my thoughts.

Daybreak
04-27-2015, 07:34 PM
Having reread your post I realize I misinterpreted your question.

Where will they be in Oct/Nov? Definitely coming down out of the hills as the higher frosts and snow suck the nutrients out of the feed. Again, find rubs and you will find deer in those months. I find deer seem to occupy the same areas every year for each season. They will be thick in an area up high one day and within a few days they are gone. When they move it happens fast. You have to pattern them and follow them down or know where they are going to and meet them there.