PDA

View Full Version : Trophy photo tips

pupper
04-12-2007, 06:07 PM
I read this article on the pope and young web site and thought it was some great photo advice for hunters.

http://www.pope-young.org/photostips.asp

have a read and lets hope for some higher caliber trophy pictures,

after all the animal and the hunter deserve a classy pic

Justin

Will
04-13-2007, 08:57 PM
Don't forget the Number 1 Trophy Photo tip ! 8-)

If you expect a Great Trophy Pic to cherish for the years to come...never use Too Much Gun for the animal pursued...
Hard to wipe it off for the Pic :oops:
***INSERT DISGUSTING COYOTE PIC HERE !***

pupper
04-13-2007, 09:12 PM
hahhhaaa

man thats a classy pic

good memories forever:)

Rubicon500
04-13-2007, 09:21 PM
LOLOL love tha yote Picture. what ya use a friggin Cannon?

BearSniper
04-13-2007, 09:36 PM
Good article.

Regarding the Coyote, I'm not sure its in our best interests to use a 300 magnum on a Coyote, when a .22 or .223 will do.

I'm always conscious of what the anti hunting crowd will say when they see photos like that.:frown: Maybe the hunter didn't expect an exit wound such as that. But the anti hunters don't understand ballistics, and energy etc and will use info like that against us.

Just my 2 cents.

Chuck
04-13-2007, 09:43 PM
Yes I had some albums of nicely done trophy and wildlife pictures gathered over forty years and really enjoyed showing them off to anybody who came by to have a beer and bs session. Then some sob stole the whole collection some years back...I'm still not happy about whoever that ah is. I don't show off anything now and can't replace those stolen. But it sure was nice to have them while I did.

Dirty
04-13-2007, 09:56 PM
I don't think that was very good shot placement on the 'yote. You look to be 2-3" too far back for a clean kill. :lol:

pupper
04-13-2007, 10:15 PM
not to be picky but i beleive that goes against rule 15:

15. No bloody shot up animals, organs or intrails in the forums or gallery. When taking pictures of your animals please try and pull it away from the gut pile before you start taking pictures.

Hank Hunter
04-13-2007, 10:59 PM
Is this what we are promoting as responsible HUNTERS.

Will
04-14-2007, 08:40 AM
not to be picky but i beleive that goes against rule 15:

15. No bloody shot up animals, organs or intrails in the forums or gallery. When taking pictures of your animals please try and pull it away from the gut pile before you start taking pictures.
Well okay I edited it out of my Post for all the squeemish folks.

I however cannot edit out you reposting the pic in your quote though.....
Seems we're both Guilty now :lol:

Is this what we are promoting as responsible HUNTERS.
No the post was on tips for "Good Trophy Photos"
I just offered an example of what would be considered a Bad pic........:-|

pupper
04-14-2007, 10:50 AM
Well okay I edited it out of my Post for all the squeemish folks.

I however cannot edit out you reposting the pic in your quote though.....
Seems we're both Guilty now :lol:

No the post was on tips for "Good Trophy Photos"
I just offered an example of what would be considered a Bad pic........:-|

yah Will, we are both guilty now:confused: if by guilty you mean I tried to make a post that would positively effect hunters and you basically disregarded that by throwing a gory photo that went directly against what i was trying to promote and the forum rules,

then yes we are both guilty.

Will
04-14-2007, 11:05 AM
yah Will, we are both guilty now:confused: if by guilty you mean I tried to make a post that would positively effect hunters and you basically disregarded that by throwing a gory photo that went directly against what i was trying to promote and the forum rules,

then yes we are both guilty.
Oh Please ! lighten up abit.....:-|

pupper
04-14-2007, 11:21 AM
Will, If you look at my first post after your coyote I did try to make light of it.

dana
04-14-2007, 12:48 PM
Will,
Is someone trying to weasle their way into the spot of legendary shitstirrer??? Come on now, there is only room from one on this site. ;)

As for taking good pics of your animal, trophy or not, I'm all for that. Not because I care the slightest about what other people think either. I personally like having photo albums full of nice pics, not $hitty ones. My ol' man used to get the gutpile in almost every hunting picture. I'm thankful he at least carried a camera with him and we have those treasured memories, but wouldn't it be nice had he actually spent a little more time working on the trophy photo??? Over the years, I've felt I've been able to get better pics because I've taken the time to actually 'set up' the trophy photo. Sometimes that actually meant dragging the animal out of the dark hole I killed it in and getting some natural light on the subject. Other times it has meant actually sewing up the mouth on an animal. Takes less than a minute and it does give a much better pic in the end.
Here's a buck I actually sewed up the mouth on and took the 2 minutes to put his legs under him and get him posed nice. I could have taken the classic floppy mouth, deer laying on it's side with legs going every where pic, but do you think that would look as good from a photographic point of view?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/2004Buck062a.jpg

This whitey had a broken lower jaw from fighting. I set up the pic so that you can't tell by setting the head on a log.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/04Whitey2.jpg

I actually shot this bear in a dark timbered hole a few kms from where we took this pic. Not your ideal light conditions to actual show the size of the bear. A few kms up the rd I knew of this spot that would be a little more appealing for a photoshoot.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/05BB1.jpg

interceptor
04-14-2007, 01:39 PM
Dana,

GREAT pics mate,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Cheers Noel

BearSniper
04-14-2007, 01:55 PM
WOW !!!:)

Now those are trophy pictures.:)

There is definitlely a professional look about them and you can see there is no disrespect for the animal. Dana is holding each animal with pride and care.

Well done.

Its' true, taking time to set up a photo makes for success. My cousin, a good photographer, once went to a photo seminar hosted by a National geographic photographer. He said they would often take 10 minutes or more setting up the picture . No wonder they look so good.:smile:

steveo32
04-14-2007, 03:30 PM
Dana you cant bull shit the guys that you dragged those animals out your self:lol: You weigh 115 soaking wet. Awsome pics brings back some memories with the awsome typical muley you took, then said damn i just shot a dink:twisted:

steve

pupper
04-14-2007, 06:19 PM
thats exactly what Im talking about

great work Dana!!!

those are some excellent pics

horshur
04-14-2007, 06:29 PM
Dana's pics don't cut it at all-----he's in em. Got to be some mercy rule about how much uglyness can be in a pic. Frankly I think he just further pressed the stereotype home---all hunters being ugly toothless rednecks from a scene on Deliverance. I prefer Wills pic over having to look at Steves ugly mug:lol:

steel_ram
04-14-2007, 06:37 PM
One regular brown grocery bag with a couple of eye holes cut out would of made those pictures a lot less scarey. (Just kidding)

Propping up a bear head with a stick prevents a dead bear from looking like a jellatenous blob. Dont squat too far behind an animal. It's pretty obvious when the fists gripping the horns appear as big as your head.

As far as gore goes, it doesn't hurt to remind one that killing isn't pretty, as much as we may try to sanitise it. That's at least part of why some of us hunt, to take responsibility for the killing ourselves. Personally the sight of domestic cattle lined up waiting for their turn to receive a bolt to the head and enter "the valley of steel" disturbs me. Yet as that sight belongs hidden in our modern society, so do the ones of fairly chased game.

steveo32
04-14-2007, 07:50 PM
damn horsur steve hit a bad cord woth you:twisted: Or are you just jelous that he never forgets the camara:lol: You really need to start taking pics of the animals you have taken cause i am sure the guys on the site would all like to see them

steve

horshur
04-14-2007, 08:17 PM
damn horsur steve hit a bad cord woth you:twisted: Or are you just jelous that he never forgets the camara:lol: You really need to start taking pics of the animals you have taken cause i am sure the guys on the site would all like to see them

steve

Doubt it--I'm just a little better lookin than him---that's not sayin much.

How bout this one---killed by Tom lion--don't think he read any of the pope and young tips though

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y264/akdana/IMG_0149.jpg

steveo32
04-14-2007, 09:36 PM
sweet pic andy, looks like decent sized bases on that buck :sad: too bad he ended up in a kittys mouth. If you got more keep posting i have only seen a small about on the animals you have gotten from steve:lol:

how about some posts of the racks you have found over the years :)

steve

Will
04-16-2007, 09:40 PM
How bout this one---killed by Tom lion--don't think he read any of the pope and young tips though

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y264/akdana/IMG_0149.jpg
Looks like Dana made off with the Antlers though..........:lol: