PDA

View Full Version : accommodations 5-15 help asap

b.c hunter 88
04-24-2015, 09:26 PM
Hey
Well iv been so busy on site at work I have left the last details of my grizzly hunt last minute. I'm wondering if any one knows who owns the cabin on maeford lake Or know of any accommodation that way that keep me with in a hour of the Mathew valley area.
Thanks Kevin

XPEIer
04-25-2015, 03:44 AM
not certain when you are heading out, but I was on the 1300rd near Spanish Lake this week and still quite a bit of snow at 13km, so I would not be racing up to Maeford too soon. Accommodations, not much around that area other than downtown Likely.

b.c hunter 88
04-25-2015, 06:43 AM
May 18 I leave fort McMurray plan to hunt 20 to 27 area for time

swampthing
04-25-2015, 07:21 AM
Your timing is good but I think you will need to bring camp with you.

srupp
04-25-2015, 03:10 PM
Hmmm Kevin the 2 buildings on Maeford lake belong to Ghost Lake Outfitters , I believe she is using Ghost Lake as a base..however feel doubtful she would open up her cabin or bunkhouse to resident hunter but it wouldnt hurt to ask
.I believe she is out ofHinton Alberta..only met her once.
As has mentioned the weather has been back to normal wkth snow melt slowing..as we discussed once it doesnt account for but 2 weeks differe ce..the road in question has some of the highest acumulations in BC.
Hope yhe rest of your plans are going well? Several grizz tracks and 2 actual g bears spotted in caribou region

Cheers
Steven

f350ps
04-25-2015, 03:35 PM
I highly doubt she'd let ya use one of her cabins but it wouldn't hurt to ask. You can email Chris at Mountain Spirit Outfitters. Good luck, K

b.c hunter 88
04-25-2015, 06:13 PM
I spoke with Chris not there cabin is what she told me. I think we got a bit of a plan together now. How far is it from gost lake to the nearest fuel station

srupp
04-25-2015, 07:08 PM
Hmmm only 1 cabin at Maeford..and the bunkhouse..both belonged to Ghost Lake outfitters when shelly operated it and sold it to the late Betty Franks who sold the guide outfitting buisness.
Having said that Betty was one hell of a fine outfitter..butbuisness sense was not one of her strong suites..she may have had other dealings? But it was used asone of the base camps and have no reason to believe it didnt go with the buisness but dont know that as Gospel .
There is nothing else up there..
Steven

Jagermeister
04-25-2015, 07:34 PM
I thought I saw a question about the distance one would go to nearest fuel from ghost Lake. If someone is still interested, that fuel station would be Likely and its about 90-100 km via Maeford lake way.

b.c hunter 88
04-25-2015, 07:59 PM
Thanks
That answers my questions

ru rancher
04-25-2015, 09:32 PM
ya the cabins are owened by a local guy not the outfitter he also has the trap line there sorry i dont recall his name at the moment though

f350ps
04-25-2015, 10:07 PM
ya the cabins are owened by a local guy not the outfitter he also has the trap line there sorry i dont recall his name at the moment though
I was under the impression that Chris owned the Comet Creek Resort, no? K

b.c hunter 88
04-26-2015, 04:45 AM
On the up side the guides all offerd to take me hunting ......... For a stupid amount of money. $14000 tell yea shoot something then they want another fee.
I'm pretty sure I'll do fine on my own.

srupp
04-26-2015, 11:11 AM
Only trapper in there is Trapper Dave..and him having those cabins if it is the guy from Wells...hmm
Thinking back 100 % certain Betty told me she owned the cabins..oh well..

That one particular creek gets a grizzly hunter with your draw as close to certainty of success..
Once my leg is feeling better after excercise I will try the stairs and snd off that info.

Sorry for being slow..
Steven

Timbow
04-26-2015, 12:15 PM
I thought I saw a question about the distance one would go to nearest fuel from ghost Lake. If someone is still interested, that fuel station would be Likely and its about 90-100 km via Maeford lake way.
Wells is a lot closer from Ghost lake than Likely.

ACE
04-26-2015, 12:25 PM
Logged up that way years ago ..... camp on the 'Little River' .....
It was the 24th of May and I rammed my truck through a number of snowdrifts to get to Maeford and beyond to Wells .....
We hunted G-bear along Cariboo Lk.

Betty did own the cabins, but I believe she leased them out to a trapper in her 'off-season' ......

f350ps
04-26-2015, 02:33 PM
Wells is a lot closer from Ghost lake than Likely.
You are correct, it's 60km from Comet Cr. To Wells and about 90km to likely. One thing I'm positive about is that in 2009 and 2010 you could rent a cabin from Chris Franke at Comet Creek Resort. K

BCBowHunter
04-26-2015, 02:52 PM
Last time I drove that way (Summer 2013) Comet creek looked shut down and fairly ruined by Pack rats / Porkies

ru rancher
04-26-2015, 03:18 PM
Well one of my friends wants to buy the cabin from the owner and thats what he told me I have no reason to belive that he lied to me but i dont know for sure. but i do belive the guide doesnt own it

f350ps
04-26-2015, 07:16 PM
Well one of my friends wants to buy the cabin from the owner and thats what he told me I have no reason to belive that he lied to me but i dont know for sure. but i do belive the guide doesnt own it
I'm not doubting you, I'm just telling you what I know by first hand knowledge, Chris could have been leasing the property, not sure. Is your pal buying one cabin or the whole show? K

srupp
04-26-2015, 08:21 PM
Hmmm 99% Betty owned the Maeford cabin...I probably still have a key somewhere..could have been sold but dont know ...with her passing went all sorts of secrets.lol
BETTY introduced me to the new owner kf her guide area same last name as her Franks..
However that area was sold and resold many many times with always a wrinkle deep inside the sheets
Usually the snow melts out to just past Maeford lake the bridge by the old qhartz mine lots of times eadier to come in from wells .
If you find my Donny Osmond purple sweater it was used as a birthi g bed for one of her dogs it still might be a good sweater vould you sniff and check? Lol
Steven

f350ps
04-26-2015, 09:27 PM
I'm talking about Comet Creek Resort at about 57-58km in on the 3100 rd, about 5 or 6 cabins on the right hand side of the road. Betty I'm sure was long gone and living in Campbell River when these were built, but I'll find out for sure shortly. K

Drillbit
05-13-2015, 10:33 PM
It was a nice day to go for a rip so I travelled some valleys.

I was at Maeford lake today.
Still ice on a lot of it, but it won't last long.

Couldn't make it to Barkerville from Likely, hit snow just past Maeford. An ATV could go easy, I might've been able to but didn't feel like shovelling.

Cabins are in good shape, everything is locked up though.

Saw a red ford with a little jon-boat on the roof pulling a trailer, grizz hunters for sure heading up there.......if they stopped for a "parlay" I could've gave them some good tips....

Ended up going over the hump up Kangaroo Creek and came out at Maude lake. Chanced it, as I heard the bridge was out last summer and was going to bounce it, but it was good.

Had to cut a lot of blowdown though....might've been easier just to shovel.....who knows!

srupp
05-14-2015, 10:17 AM
Brings back memories..lol no purple sweater at Maetord? Lol
How deep was the snow past maeford? It usually slides right at the bridge..
Cheers
Srupp

Drillbit
05-14-2015, 12:18 PM
Brings back memories..lol no purple sweater at Maetord? Lol
How deep was the snow past maeford? It usually slides right at the bridge..
Cheers
Srupp

No sweater! Too bad

Ya there might've been a bridge at the end of the slope on the corner.....

It was past the lake a few miles, down hill grade with a RH corner at the bottom.

Snow was just over a foot deep there for 100 yards till the corner, wet and soggy and skidoo packed. After the corner who knows, I didn't walk it but it looked like I still had more climbing to do and thought I'd just hit more.

It was 5pm and I didn't feel like spending the night in my truck if I didn't make it.

srupp
05-14-2015, 12:38 PM
Good decision...however most years that bridge is the end of the rd due to snow slides...
No bear track?..they are out for sure..
Cheers steven

Drillbit
05-14-2015, 08:57 PM
Lots of bears around.

I covered a lot of country, saw more than 25 black bears. No cubs. No huge one, so no action though.

This is from Black Creek, Beaver Valley, out to Maeford and then to Quesnel over the hill by Maude lake.

Saw a decent Grizz too, but didn't get a golden ticket from Willy Wonka.

b.c hunter 88
05-15-2015, 11:00 PM
Thanks drillbit for a up date. I leave fort McMurray Sunday night I got a full 7 days to fill my grizzly tag.

Drillbit
05-17-2015, 09:08 PM
^ I guess you're already rolling now BC88

Good luck!!

srupp
05-17-2015, 10:33 PM
Hmmmm Kevins timing is pretty good so if able to be out at dark 30 am..should see some g bears..watching thermals...and wind is another thing..
My twin brother Gerald and I headed over the cariboo bridge on the Cunningham pass rd and travelled completely to the Bowron ..Barkerville T intersection..turned around and headed back..shooting a phenominal blond colored phase black bear..sun up till sun down 40 black bears in that one day on that section of rd...some may indeed been repeat sightings..but still my highest one day count..
Gerald as always made a great shot and grunted the bear out of the creek..lol by himself..
Most grizzlies in one day was 7 ..
One of the 2 oldest grizzlies and largest was harvested in that area june 2013..be.ieve it was 30 years old...still growing old and big..my best was 28 years old..
Suggested to Kevin 7 foot minimum male with a great coat.....time will tell..
Steven