PDA

View Full Version : To bear hunt or not to bear hunt in freezing temps, Region 2

caddisguy
04-24-2015, 07:05 PM
Looking at the weather... high of 13 and low of 1 where I get my forecast. This actually means -5 to 7C where I hunt. I imagine there's a few bears out, but wonder how they'll respond to this cold snap. Does it make a difference? (ie: like me, does it make them want to crawl back in bed?)

Normally I wouldn't care about my odds of success... just happy to go out and check the trailcams and enjoy being out in the bush. That said, I'm feeling a bit warn down and thoughts of all the hiking, ticks and a cold night are swaying me towards "only worth it if there's a good chance at a bear involved". It's still early... not even May. Though maybe I'll feel more energy tomorrow?

Internet, please tell me what to do. Decide for me. Thanks!!

Caribou_lou
04-24-2015, 07:14 PM
2nd weekend in May there will be bears everywhere you go. May 1st weekend there will be a few out.

Foxton Gundogs
04-24-2015, 07:16 PM
There's been a few bears got but she's still pretty brown up above. I never get serious before May

nature girl
04-24-2015, 07:21 PM
Get yourself better first. Then next weekend go all out and get yourself a bear.

cloverphil
04-24-2015, 07:24 PM
do bears get up to eat when it's still freezing outside ? I doubt it

are they up already eating shoots and sprouts, and fresh green grass ? I haven't seen any yet

have you ?

Daybreak
04-24-2015, 07:29 PM
Save your time, energy and money. It's still early and in many areas the food sources just aren't there yet. We are getting reports of bears out and about in the Okanagan but only in the residential areas that interface with the bush. These are probably a few bears that have become habituated to suburban areas and return annually. I wouldn't want one knowing it has been eating garbage like the one that visits a friends neighbourhood over the last week. I have been scouring the woods from 1600 metres to 700 metres for 3 weeks steady, open south faces, low lying riparian, power lines, gas lines...you name it. The bears are simply not out in the areas I have covered... no sign period. There may be a few out but far and few between I'm sure.

Checked a few low lying swamps today and there simply has not been enough heat to get the growth going. No skunk cabbage even showing, nettles just about to go, dandelions only below 700 metres and spotty at best. The ground is still cold in most areas so things are not growing. My areas need a week of solid warmth and sun to kick start some growth .

If my fridge was empty and it was cold out I think I'd just go back to sleep for a while like the bears.

caddisguy
04-24-2015, 07:35 PM
do bears get up to eat when it's still freezing outside ? I doubt it

are they up already eating shoots and sprouts, and fresh green grass ? I haven't seen any yet

have you ?

Only one pile of scat, one patch of greenery that looked munched (easter bunny was a suspect) and nothing on 2 of the 3 cams I checked as of two weeks ago.

caddisguy
04-24-2015, 07:46 PM
Save your time, energy and money. It's still early and in many areas the food sources just aren't there yet. We are getting reports of bears out and about in the Okanagan but only in the residential areas that interface with the bush. These are probably a few bears that have become habituated to suburban areas and return annually. I wouldn't want one knowing it has been eating garbage like the one that visits a friends neighbourhood over the last week. I have been scouring the woods from 1600 metres to 700 metres for 3 weeks steady, open south faces, low lying riparian, power lines, gas lines...you name it. The bears are simply not out in the areas I have covered... no sign period. There may be a few out but far and few between I'm sure.

Checked a few low lying swamps today and there simply has not been enough heat to get the growth going. No skunk cabbage even showing, nettles just about to go, dandelions only below 700 metres and spotty at best. The ground is still cold in most areas so things are not growing. My areas need a week of solid warmth and sun to kick start some growth .

If my fridge was empty and it was cold out I think I'd just go back to sleep for a while like the bears.

Thanks for the report! In my area the grass is doing good... a few dandelions... tons of skunk cabbage too but as of two weeks ago not much sign at all. I hit the grassy slopes first, drainages with skunk cabbage next. Just the one pile of scat and one patch of grass that looked munched on.

Thanks for all the feedback and votes!! Looks like it's leaning towards the "stay home and recharge" side of the fence. I'm giving it another 20 minutes and then the Internet's decision is final! Lol

Sorry for the lame thread--though I guess it might be useful to all with the feedback and reports coming in--but I honestly needed someone else to decide for me. It was either this or a coin toss, but a coin toss lacks useful insight.

landphil
04-24-2015, 08:11 PM
Had a look around this past weekend with no sign spotted, won't bother this weekend, the first weekend in May I'll be out looking again. I say if you don't feel like going, don't go, take it easy and relax, when you're ready, you won't be asking us.

caddisguy
04-24-2015, 08:12 PM
Done deal. Just fired up Netflix and cracked a beer. Lets keep the feedback and votes flowing for anyone else trying to decide.

Next weekend, I'll check the cams and hunt hard. It will still be a tad (week) early, but less early than it is now... and I'll be recharged running full throttle.

604ksmith
04-24-2015, 08:16 PM
I've had friends take two bears so far this year, and seen about a dozen or more others in the Prince George area. The bears are out, the grass is green, and it's always nice to get out and scout/hike even in a little drizzle.

I'd do a bit of both. No reason to get up early in the morning for spring bear, so I'd take it easy on the beer but sleep in and then consider heading out for a few hours starting at around 4pm.

M.Dean
04-24-2015, 08:33 PM
What-- What's "netflick"??? Awww, don't matter, real men are go'in to bed early,it's darn near dark out there anywho now, goi'n bear hunt'in for a couple, three hours in the morn'in, then hitt'in the Gun Show! But- But, No, you stay curled up on the couch watch'in Oprah reruns till 3 or 4 in the morn'in, and leave the "Man Stuff" to us "Men"!!! You have a good nite! I'm bett'in you wear them one piece Jammies with the hood and the things look like slippers sewed onto them, don't Ya!!! Yep, you have a real good nite!!!

Ruger10/22
04-24-2015, 08:34 PM
To hunt...bears don't shoot themselves.

caddisguy
04-24-2015, 08:54 PM
What-- What's "netflick"??? Awww, don't matter, real men are go'in to bed early,it's darn near dark out there anywho now, goi'n bear hunt'in for a couple, three hours in the morn'in, then hitt'in the Gun Show! But- But, No, you stay curled up on the couch watch'in Oprah reruns till 3 or 4 in the morn'in, and leave the "Man Stuff" to us "Men"!!! You have a good nite! I'm bett'in you wear them one piece Jammies with the hood and the things look like slippers sewed onto them, don't Ya!!! Yep, you have a real good nite!!!

You almost had me motivated through reverse psychology, but then I realized it didn't check out because we sleep naked round here. Will see how I feel tomorrow though... 604ksmith seemed pretty sound. Thanks though you cracked me up. I'm off to bed in my "jammies" thinkin bout bears and M.Dean ;-P

caddisguy
04-24-2015, 09:05 PM
And Oprah...

Salty
04-24-2015, 09:28 PM
I've probably seen 20 bears this year (a few repeats probably) not hunting just in my travels and it'll freeze pretty close to sea level tonight here. Its not too early IMO there's a lot of feed already around here anyways.

604redneck
04-25-2015, 05:30 PM
When I was home last just over a week ago fresh tracks up goudie that was it for my 2 hour outing

ajeatoo
04-25-2015, 09:10 PM
Three bears down in my area, two of them today and our temps are the same as yours. Up until late this week we've not seen much but they are really starting to appear now.

Rob Chipman
04-25-2015, 09:30 PM
Last weekend saw a bear around 4000 feet elevation near Clinton but it wasn't much higher before there was next to no new growth. Not a lot of bear sign, but lots of moose sign.

I hope to go back for the one we saw!

caddisguy
04-26-2015, 12:55 PM
How did everyone do out in Region 2 this weekend? Much sign? Bears down? Looking forward to see reports to come trickling in!

I rested up, watched pretty much every bear hunting video YouTube has to offer while touching up all my knives so they are ridicilously sharp... missing a few patches of arm hair from testing! Filled out our last couple LEH cards, caught up on some picture sorting and got all our gear ready to grab and go for next weekend.

Slight chance I *might* have forgotten to pack my license had I went this weekend... that would have been even worse than the time I forgot to take the electric motor on one of our boat trips last year.

ff89
04-26-2015, 08:51 PM
region 3, nahatlach, east anderson, kwoiek. Drove all over, hiked all over and only saw a few piles of poop

Wild one
04-27-2015, 08:10 AM
How did everyone do out in Region 2 this weekend? Much sign? Bears down? Looking forward to see reports to come trickling in!

I rested up, watched pretty much every bear hunting video YouTube has to offer while touching up all my knives so they are ridicilously sharp... missing a few patches of arm hair from testing! Filled out our last couple LEH cards, caught up on some picture sorting and got all our gear ready to grab and go for next weekend.

Slight chance I *might* have forgotten to pack my license had I went this weekend... that would have been even worse than the time I forgot to take the electric motor on one of our boat trips last year.

Will be making my first attempt this weekend but buddy has been out

He is a rookie and was in the Skagit this weekend but did not hunt last hours of light. I all ready laughed at him for missing best part of the day. He seen some sign but no bears.

The one thing he found was sad someone left some cans of salmon with holes in them in 1 location. Someone is resorting to baiting by the looks of it. No need to break the rules just give it sometime and they will be more bears out.

To any rookies getting frustrated relax the good bear hunting will be starting soon

heatherdaddy
04-27-2015, 08:47 AM
That is too funny, those cans were there 2 weeks ago also. I know exactly where you mean in the Skagit. Going to check my cam there tomorrow as I have a day off tomorrow.

caddisguy
04-27-2015, 08:57 AM
Will be making my first attempt this weekend but buddy has been out

He is a rookie and was in the Skagit this weekend but did not hunt last hours of light. I all ready laughed at him for missing best part of the day. He seen some sign but no bears.

The one thing he found was sad someone left some cans of salmon with holes in them in 1 location. Someone is resorting to baiting by the looks of it. No need to break the rules just give it sometime and they will be more bears out.

To any rookies getting frustrated relax the good bear hunting will be starting soon

I see a lot of bears in the evening as well, about an hour before sunset or very shortly after sunset. No shortage of morning or afternoon bears though. I think there just aren't enough out to make stumbling across one probable, or tracking one down simple. I'll be heading out next weekend too. Definitely early for optimal hunting, but decent chance I would imagine. If nothing next weekend, I should still be able to get out a couple times mid May to mid June at which point pretty much anywhere in Region 2 is crawling with bears and it's a gimme.

Weird about the cans of salmon. I'm surprised they would leave the evidence and an opportunity for another hunter to inadvertently catch a bear out in the open. Was it out in the open or tucked away somewhere? Hunting setup or trailcam? Did he take them out? Though I don't blame him if he didn't (wouldn't want to smell those or get pulled over with them)

Wild one
04-27-2015, 09:04 AM
That is too funny, those cans were there 2 weeks ago also. I know exactly where you mean in the Skagit. Going to check my cam there tomorrow as I have a day off tomorrow.

There is no bears in their move on stop looking :mrgreen:. My wife too a nice chocolate out of there a few years back

Honestly don't hunt there much anymore it is becoming too busy with people in general. Bears are still around just on the skittish side these days. Seen a few shady things in this area over the last 7 years

I would rather burn some extra fuel and head farther out these days less people and more bears. Only hunt local early in the spring or when I only have an afternoon now.

Wild one
04-27-2015, 09:12 AM
I see a lot of bears in the evening as well, about an hour before sunset or very shortly after sunset. No shortage of morning or afternoon bears though. I think there just aren't enough out to make stumbling across one probable, or tracking one down simple. I'll be heading out next weekend too. Definitely early for optimal hunting, but decent chance I would imagine. If nothing next weekend, I should still be able to get out a couple times mid May to mid June at which point pretty much anywhere in Region 2 is crawling with bears and it's a gimme.

Weird about the cans of salmon. I'm surprised they would leave the evidence and an opportunity for another hunter to inadvertently catch a bear out in the open. Was it out in the open or tucked away somewhere? Hunting setup or trailcam? Did he take them out? Though I don't blame him if he didn't (wouldn't want to smell those or get pulled over with them)

The Skagit is really a last 4 hours of light hunt only 1 bear out of my group has come out of that area in the last 15 years earlier in the day. Yes you can see the odd one earlier in the day but I will no longer waste my time early in the Skagit anymore.

As for the cans all I know he was pissed to see them it was a fast phone call

caddisguy
04-27-2015, 10:13 AM
The Skagit is really a last 4 hours of light hunt only 1 bear out of my group has come out of that area in the last 15 years earlier in the day. Yes you can see the odd one earlier in the day but I will no longer waste my time early in the Skagit anymore.

As for the cans all I know he was pissed to see them it was a fast phone call

My experience has been opposite, whether it's the Skagit, Jones Lake, South Cariboo, Vernon, etc. Though I have only ever seen a few significant bears in the Skagit, one was on the upper river. It was a hot summer day around noon. It was a tank, standing on all fours a few steps behind me while I was crouched down on the ground. It looked more like 2 tons from my standpoint, but in reality it was 400lbs easy. It waddled away, awkwardly, belly practically dragging. Saw another last Spring in another drainage during the afternoon. There was also a pretty respectable sow and a couple cubs one morning in August right around the 26 mile bridge.

The ones I have seen in the evening and closer to roads were mostly <200 lbs. Almost shot one last year... initially I was going to give him a pass, but he came up really close (7 yards) and looked really tastey so I gave in. Factory Winchester 30-06 round misfired and I watched my freezer contents-to-be run way.

It might depend where you hunt, whether it's an open space, near a road, river banks, timber, etc. Whenever I see a larger bear it's in thick stuff near a river or creek and nowhere near a road. I hardly ever see people hunt where I see big bears hang out. That said, I don't blame them.There are way too many ticks in there and it's hard to judge a bear and look for cubs--passed on one because of this--under those circumstances. I don't think a bear can live to be very big in the Skagit if it hangs out in the open or near roads.True that there is better bear hunting in less than an hour of highway regardless of which highway you choose and you can find one without getting yourself bloody and covered in ticks :)

Cool thing about the Skagit though is that as busy as the roads may be, I rarely ever find a sign of a human being more than 1km off any road or trail.

DeadlyGame
04-30-2015, 02:28 PM
I hunt the Skagit every so often and I always see some cracked out looking people either living or driving up that road right when it gets dark,mind you there is tonnes of normal folks enjoying the woods but it makes you wonder what the "others" are up to out there.

B-rad
04-30-2015, 02:51 PM
I'm on out skirts Kamloops (barnhartvale) and I'm already having probs with a 4 year old blackie tumbling the garbage cans for bout 2 weeks now,,,,,and I've been spotting them all round in every direction of Kamloops,,,sooo yes they are definatly out and about

caddisguy
04-30-2015, 05:56 PM
I hunt the Skagit every so often and I always see some cracked out looking people either living or driving up that road right when it gets dark,mind you there is tonnes of normal folks enjoying the woods but it makes you wonder what the "others" are up to out there.

Been hearing reports of sketchy business ranging from unattended vehicles/equipment getting shot to bears getting baited. More shot signs, garbage, crt's, mattresses and stuff lately too. Kind of going the way of Sylvestor. I wouldn't be surprised to see a no discharge within 400M law for the entire road and/or the gravel pits being off limits... i believe those are leased as it is.

So far nobody has ever messed with my stuff out there, but we did come back to the jeep once to find a guy and his gf looked like they were up to no good and they were very drunk, so drunk it turned out he actually wet himself while he was driving and they broke the muffler trying to drive down the side trail. Guy actually ran up to us "cool is that like a machine gun and reached for my rifle". My friend just about bear sprayed him. Sad part is they actually had an infant in the car. Ran into one of the park attendants later and told them about it.

That said, nothing wrong with driving there as it's getting dark though! When I head out hunting/camping/fishing anywhere I usually head out in the evening. I get out of the office around 5, home around 6-6:30, an hour for packing the jeep and last minute stuff... puts me on dirt road around 8:45pm. I'll be setting up camp with aid of headlights too which might look like pit lamping :)

caddisguy
04-30-2015, 06:22 PM
I'm on out skirts Kamloops (barnhartvale) and I'm already having probs with a 4 year old blackie tumbling the garbage cans for bout 2 weeks now,,,,,and I've been spotting them all round in every direction of Kamloops,,,sooo yes they are definatly out and about

Things should be picking up all around. I'll be checking trailcams and trying to track down a bear this weekend.

heatherdaddy
04-30-2015, 06:39 PM
Let me know how it goes out there as I have to work this weekend and will be there next weekend. I was there on Tuesday and the road was being graded then so it should be finished by Saturday.
The grader operator told me that his grader was shot up in the gravel pit just before maselpanik Rd there last weekend.
That being said I saw nothing and no sign at all, the grader operator said the only thing he saw was a couple of Lynxs back on the road to Sowerby.
I did notice some of the garbage was picked up as one of the shot up campers was gone but sadly the others are still there.

caddisguy
04-30-2015, 07:18 PM
Crappy about the grader getting shot up and the lack of bear sign. It might be a tough year for that valley with enough food at higher elevations they could be more spread out rather than condensed bear the valley bottom but I have no doubt there's some around. I'll be back Sunday at the latest with the report.

Gone_Fishin_
05-01-2015, 07:51 AM
Spent some hours in there this past weekend, TICKS TICKS TICKS!!! omg... one of my favorite areas and have some trail cams as well in very remote locations out there. Except with these little friggin ugly scary buggers i might stay out of there until summers over. Can't handle the thought of these little *******s digging into my skin. Flicked about a dozen off my pant legs in an hour hike.

Got home and found 2 crawling on my neck collar, went to get into the jeep the next day found 3 on my seats. Raided the shit outta that thing kept the doors shut for 2 days.

caddisguy
05-01-2015, 12:06 PM
Spent some hours in there this past weekend, TICKS TICKS TICKS!!! omg... one of my favorite areas and have some trail cams as well in very remote locations out there. Except with these little friggin ugly scary buggers i might stay out of there until summers over. Can't handle the thought of these little *******s digging into my skin. Flicked about a dozen off my pant legs in an hour hike.

Got home and found 2 crawling on my neck collar, went to get into the jeep the next day found 3 on my seats. Raided the shit outta that thing kept the doors shut for 2 days.

I'm in the same boat. I have 3 trailcams out there right now and 2 of them involve hiking through some brush, bushwhacking and climbing. I was bitten a few times last trip and ended up with a few crawling around the apartment. Cleaning my rifle the next day I found one in the barrel. And that was being absolutely vigilant, checking every 20 minutes, turning clothes inside out, etc. Mostly deer (black-legged ticks) but one huge dog tick. It's not the whole valley that is infested, but there's a few pockets that are just awful. Worst is when you feel one digging into your foot and another digging into your leg while you're on the highway.

Do you have a wrangler or cherokee? If you drive an older wrangler (maybe blue, green or black? its been a while since I've seen it) and you're getting ticks, I know where you have been hunting and it's awful in there. I wonder how far apart our trailcams are... you ever happen to notice a Simmons 4PM out there, or maybe a rope or two? ;-P

I've never even seen a tick in there later than July, but this year might be an exception. If I whack a bear there, I wonder how many ticks it will be carrying lol

Wild one
05-01-2015, 01:10 PM
Was in the Skagit Wensday and seen 1 small bear and the ticks are brutal in there this year.

Gone_Fishin_
05-04-2015, 08:28 AM
Do you have a wrangler or cherokee? If you drive an older wrangler (maybe blue, green or black? its been a while since I've seen it) and you're getting ticks, I know where you have been hunting and it's awful in there. I wonder how far apart our trailcams are... you ever happen to notice a Simmons 4PM out there, or maybe a rope or two? ;-P

I've never even seen a tick in there later than July, but this year might be an exception. If I whack a bear there, I wonder how many ticks it will be carrying lol[/QUOTE]

2000 Jeep TJ Grey, lifted. Or usually in buddies truck as the 4:88's in the Jeep make a slow journey on the hwy. 2000 Green GMC Sonoma.

Only ever seen one trail cam, was in a locked homemade box at the 33km area, assuming not yours as it was 5 minutes off the main road and a 3 minute walk... lol. After the bridge, left, park at creek ditch, nice little walk down grass road. I'm sure you know this exact spot as well if you spend time in there like i do. I've hiked all over and if you don't have a picture of me yet then your cams are far off any path and well hidden ! lol

i've yet to get a picture of anyone or ever had an issue with our cams, all hiking and not near any trails and a few km's from any road. Pain in the ass to get in and check, plus packing salt. Starting to get some solid locations though that are visited regularly by some nice looking deer. Hopefully they stick around come fall, and when i can actullay hike and hunt, rather then brush my legs off and panic whenever i feel anything crawling on me, lol.

Driving out the other evening felt something weird in my left pant leg then a small pinch like something bit me. Instant panic, hit the brakes, jump out and literally started stripping right in the middle of the road. As im doing the funky chicken with pants around my ankles pulling my shirt off a couple campers came around the corner in their truck, im oblivious to this and am still jumping around brushing myself off in the middle of the road. Turn around and 3 people are giving me some weird looks waiting for me to move so they can pass. They drove by real slow and looked at me like i was crazy or something, lol.

I guess i'd find it strange too if i came around a corner and a fellow had his pants around his ankles whipping his t-shirt all over himself while standing in the middle of the road.

caddisguy
05-04-2015, 10:46 AM
2000 Jeep TJ Grey, lifted. Or usually in buddies truck as the 4:88's in the Jeep make a slow journey on the hwy. 2000 Green GMC Sonoma.

Only ever seen one trail cam, was in a locked homemade box at the 33km area, assuming not yours as it was 5 minutes off the main road and a 3 minute walk... lol. After the bridge, left, park at creek ditch, nice little walk down grass road. I'm sure you know this exact spot as well if you spend time in there like i do. I've hiked all over and if you don't have a picture of me yet then your cams are far off any path and well hidden ! lol

i've yet to get a picture of anyone or ever had an issue with our cams, all hiking and not near any trails and a few km's from any road. Pain in the ass to get in and check, plus packing salt. Starting to get some solid locations though that are visited regularly by some nice looking deer. Hopefully they stick around come fall, and when i can actullay hike and hunt, rather then brush my legs off and panic whenever i feel anything crawling on me, lol.

Driving out the other evening felt something weird in my left pant leg then a small pinch like something bit me. Instant panic, hit the brakes, jump out and literally started stripping right in the middle of the road. As im doing the funky chicken with pants around my ankles pulling my shirt off a couple campers came around the corner in their truck, im oblivious to this and am still jumping around brushing myself off in the middle of the road. Turn around and 3 people are giving me some weird looks waiting for me to move so they can pass. They drove by real slow and looked at me like i was crazy or something, lol.

I guess i'd find it strange too if i came around a corner and a fellow had his pants around his ankles whipping his t-shirt all over himself while standing in the middle of the road.

Haha I know the spot you're talking about. Seems like many others do too. I might have seen your jeep up there. Though most don't venture beyond where the road was. I had a cam up in the hills there last year and that's the only place I've ever had a human on my cam. Unless you were there in August, wearing glasses and rocking and open shirt (I would too it's a bit of a climb especially in that heat) then it wasn't you. Good on that guy for not taking my cam though. He just checked it out... kind of from the side. After that I moved my cam up a lot higher... about a 45 minute bushwhack through all that nasty crap. Nice area but way too popular now... just eating lunch we had had a dozen people drive up. After we left yesterday, I went off to check another camera... came back a few hours later and some guys had it blocked off from the bottom with their truck... and it's only spring bear season!!! For that valley you always gotta have plan A, B & C.