PDA

View Full Version : MR NICE vs Kifaru Duplex?

sammy-j-peppers
04-21-2015, 08:17 AM
Is there anyone on here who has had both of these frames that can comment on them? Thanks.

goinghunting
04-21-2015, 08:47 PM
Yup ive had both and both are top notch. To be honest they are both so good it would come down to which company makes the bag you like. Both are durable and comfortable.

sammy-j-peppers
04-22-2015, 08:45 AM
Thanks GH,

is there anyone in the Kamloops/Shuswap area with a Kifaru Duplex I could try out?

Elkaddict
04-22-2015, 08:49 AM
What he said^^^. Carrying heavy loads with the MR Nice frame with a smaller bag or on the frame can be awkward without a load lift kit. The larger bags have the load lifters as part of the bag. The Kifaru frame is narrower and a wee bit lighter. It can be a bit of a challenge to lash a bulky load to as the frame is flexible and will twist if you reef your load down. Nice frame is rock solid that way. My frames are used mostly as meat haulers. I use a cargo panel on the Kifaru and I have a Longbow bag and a load sling for the MR. The Longbow is a good bag for a day pack or overnighter. The Kifaru is a Gen 1. They have made improvements to the current frames and harness. I would love to try a Nomad bag on my Kifaru frame, but from what I understand they are not 100% compatible with the old G1 frame.
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w234/V1Vr/P1040756.jpg

BgBlkDg
04-23-2015, 09:40 PM
I have two complete MR NICE rigs and among the many packs I have had/used were two Kifarus, both Gen. 1 models.

For ME, the NICE packs work much better than the Kifarus and I had some QC issues with some Kifaru gear I bought from them.

I was NOT satisfied with the CS I received from them, it was several years ago, so, I cannot comment on how they are now.

IMHO, with the exception of Dan McHale, a full custom maker, Dana Gleason has made the best packs I have ever worn in 58+ years of carrying a pack. I recently gave an original pack from Dana, to a young friend, still in good shape after 36 years of often brutal use.

I just sold one of my Dana packs to a fine gentleman here "Ferenc" and have five more, probably sell 1-2 more as I am getting up there. I always feel good about recommending MR packs but the recent policy of ending the purchase of only a bag or frame is not my idea of a sound business practice, hope they change back.

300rum700
04-23-2015, 10:02 PM
I was lucky enough to use both before I bought. Kifaru duplex carries a heavy load much better. Mystery ranch is very comfortable but doesn't take the load off your shoulders like the duplex does, you can walk pretty much vertical with a Duplex/Bikini Frame. A word of caution if you do try someone elses pack, make sure it fits and is adjusted properly before you come to a conclusion. I always thought mystery ranch was the way to go and was set on buying one then I got convinced to try a DT1, no contest it's a better frame.

PS Kifarus customer service is second to non.

BgBlkDg
04-24-2015, 04:27 AM
MR packs certainly keep the load off your shoulders, IF, correctly adjusted and fitted. This process can take some time, as with any pack and requires some patience to get just right. You also need the *lift kit* sold by an outfit in the US or MRs more recent one, if, you are a taller person.

I always have stood-walked in a correct, vertical posture using my MR packs, but, am used to adjusting packs after so many years using them. I could never quite stand erect with either of my Kifaru packs and worked with them while on the phone with their CS people.

If, anyone thinks that Kifaru CS is superior, fine, but, MR has consistently had the best CS I have ever experienced in the pack industry, other than Dan McHale. Kifaru, certainly did not meet my expectations in this and other respects.

But, WTF, would I know, I am not an *expert*, merely made my living using packs for decades.

SR80
04-24-2015, 06:39 AM
MR packs certainly keep the load off your shoulders, IF, correctly adjusted and fitted. This process can take some time, as with any pack and requires some patience to get just right. You also need the *lift kit* sold by an outfit in the US or MRs more recent one, if, you are a taller person.

I always have stood-walked in a correct, vertical posture using my MR packs, but, am used to adjusting packs after so many years using them. I could never quite stand erect with either of my Kifaru packs and worked with them while on the phone with their CS people.

If, anyone thinks that Kifaru CS is superior, fine, but, MR has consistently had the best CS I have ever experienced in the pack industry, other than Dan McHale. Kifaru, certainly did not meet my expectations in this and other respects.

But, WTF, would I know, I am not an *expert*, merely made my living using packs for decades.

Maybe your still mad about getting banned by Mr. Kifaru...."laffin"

BgBlkDg
04-24-2015, 07:02 AM
Sorry, lad, but, I bought, used, had several QC issues with and then sold all the Kifaru gear I had long before that young egomaniacal character ever worked for Smith.

That said, I had logged off RS before he banned me and was in communication with another staffer there to close out my account.

I really do not care much about such infantile behaviour, on either side of the border.....

SR80
04-24-2015, 08:33 AM
Sorry, lad, but, I bought, used, had several QC issues with and then sold all the Kifaru gear I had long before that young egomaniacal character ever worked for Smith.

That said, I had logged off RS before he banned me and was in communication with another staffer there to close out my account.

I really do not care much about such infantile behaviour, on either side of the border.....

Maybe that egomaniacal character has done something good for the company then...or you're just impossible to please...."laffin"

Rackmastr
04-24-2015, 09:36 AM
I love the Kifaru Duplex over the MR NICE....I find the Duplex way more comfortable and a better setup. Load lifters work like they should and it fits my back profile much better.

I found the MR NICE very stiff and boxy, and never really enjoyed wearing it as much as I wear my Duplex. I'm a huge MR fan and always have been, but switching to Kifaru has been the best move I've made with all the various packs and systems I've owned in the past. Duplex carries heavy loads better and more comfortable I find, and the load lifters take the load off so much nicer than the NICE frame. I think for a shorter/stalky guy the NICE frame may be the better choice, but for my back/height its Kifaru hands down.

Both carry heavy loads amazingly well. The guys at Kifaru and MR are great to deal with. I don't think you can go wrong with either. My personal opinion is Kifaru beats MR for quality, fit, and comfort. Customer service is won by Kifaru as well in my opinion, but both do a good job. Aron has been an amazing addition to Kifaru and think that he's a huge reason they are doing so well these days. Great guy to deal with! Seacat did a great job with MR as well in the same regard, growing the brand and marketing really well. Theres something to be said about having those types of guys in place.

Rob
04-24-2015, 11:17 AM
Im in Lower Nicola and have a Timberline with Duplex frame if you want to come check it out

sammy-j-peppers
04-26-2015, 08:57 AM
Im in Lower Nicola and have a Timberline with Duplex frame if you want to come check it out

Thanks Rob!

Can anyone comment on SG compared to these packs? The sky series seems like a one pack do all setup..... Bivy mode for day hunts and extended for packing plus the load shelf for meat. How is the frame and harness on the krux?