PDA

View Full Version : I need an anchor but I'm not sure what size

russm
04-17-2015, 09:16 AM
So as the title says I'm in need of an anchor but I'm not sure how heavy I need for my boat, it's a 16' sangster and I'll mostly be using it in the fraser and on lakes, also if anyone has one laying around that they might want to get rid of let me know. Thanks, Russ.

winchester284
04-17-2015, 10:11 AM
You likely need 2 anchors. On the Fraser you'd want a river anchor that weighs 30-40 lbs if you are planning on anchoring in any current. On a lake a 10-15 lb danforth anchor is likely adequate. A word of caution, if your Sangster is fiberglass, the rocky shorelines of the Fraser can be very unfriendly to fiberglass boats.

ACB
04-17-2015, 10:26 AM
If you are going to use it on the river you need a river anchor. Something like a danforth just doesn't work on the river but fine in a lake. The river anchors are heavier, they need to be because depending where you are at, the river's going up to 8-10MPH. If you are in the FV go to Cascade Supply and Marine in Chilliwack and tell them what kind of boat you got and what you are planning to do with it. They will set you up or tell you what you need. Checking the classifieds in the valley you just might find what you need.

russm
04-17-2015, 10:54 AM
You likely need 2 anchors. On the Fraser you'd want a river anchor that weighs 30-40 lbs if you are planning on anchoring in any current. On a lake a 10-15 lb danforth anchor is likely adequate. A word of caution, if your Sangster is fiberglass, the rocky shorelines of the Fraser can be very unfriendly to fiberglass boats.

Yea I already thought about that, if I beach it it'll be somewhere sandy not rocky, there's lots of river anchors on CL I think I'm just being cheap lol I've got a buddy that says he'll make me one but getting him to do anything is damn near impossible.

Foxtail
04-17-2015, 11:32 AM
A case of beer usually helps suppress laziness.

itsy bitsy xj
04-17-2015, 11:43 AM
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTYbArcCsFtp_e7BipnFDtd7ystNGcPD _CTL5r2x4q_9P9MnDs2PHUOugk (http://www.google.ca/url?url=http://www.cruise-vacation-advisor.com/cruise-terms.html&rct=j&frm=1&q=&esrc=s&sa=U&ei=6lMxVY3XCYy5oQSbtYHwDw&ved=0CCcQ9QEwCQ&usg=AFQjCNEe5LyCBtoohtRZc2NJoSNUVg0oqQ)

russm
04-17-2015, 11:44 AM
Lol he's not a drinker, some smokeables maybe but I think that's part Of the laziness.

.264winmag
04-17-2015, 07:53 PM
A 15-20# plow might work well for all situations? It's all I use in the chuck, works in mud, sand, gravel and rock with my 21.5 explorer. Even 330ft in big tides and wind she hooks up, just need lots of scope and chain especially...

scoutlt1
04-17-2015, 08:00 PM
Make sure you hook up some chain to your anchor first. That will help the anchor do what it's supposed to!

.264winmag
04-17-2015, 08:25 PM
Make sure you hook up some chain to your anchor first. That will help the anchor do what it's supposed to!
Yup, anchor is useless without lotsa chain...

Beaves84
04-17-2015, 09:19 PM
Lots of good rope, with a bouy at one end.... Lots of chain..

With the fiberglass boat I would attach the chain to the tien end of the river anchor, then use a zap strap to attach the chain to the opposite end of the anchor. This way you can pull the opposite direction on the anchor to free it when jammed. The bouy is for when you can't get it out and you need an aluminum boat to pull it out for you, or a friendly "fisherman" ;) that sets a net over your anchor.

Fibre glass is weaker than chain and good rope ..

russm
04-17-2015, 09:23 PM
How much chain would be recommended? 10 feet or so? I can get some really heavy stuff from work.

Beaves84
04-17-2015, 09:28 PM
Not heavy 3/8 but 10+ feet is suffice imo, depending on current.

Sleep Robber
04-17-2015, 09:47 PM
15 ft of chain plus 100 feet of double braided line off a 30lb river anchor works well on a 16 ft Double Eagle which is roughly the same as you've got. ;) Never had a problem, just make sure you get a river anchor that can be attached {shackeld or hammer locked} at the bottom and then attached again with a small zap strap at the top in case you hang up, this way the zap strap will eventually break free and the anchor will lift from the bottom ....seen too many lost anchors that were strictly attached to the top of the anchor.

Aluminum hull boats rule on the Fraser but Glass hulls are still fine to use, just beware of the surroundings and when your wanting to go ashore make sure to anchor out far enough that you can still wade in but not have the hull getting banged up. I'm sure you know that already though.

good luck and safe boating.

Sunzuki
04-17-2015, 10:53 PM
Cement booties?