PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Spring Bear at Den Site

skibum
04-17-2015, 08:59 AM
I was just wondering what you guys think about shooting a spring bear that is hanging out at his den sites? (probably apply to grizzly more).

The bears that are just getting going after a winter's snooze. I have seen a couple pictures of bears harvested obviously just outside of a den site on a snow covered slope - and have read about outfitters who mark den sites to check them out in the spring - I can not source this.

I would lean against trying to avoid it, But was wondering what the opinions are out there - is it unethical?

Steeleco
04-17-2015, 11:16 AM
My biggest concern would be young in there. Check them out for sure, but until your 110% sure it's a bore or dry sow I'd only be taking pictures.

Twogunns
04-17-2015, 11:51 AM
X2 on the cubs. Ethically, it's up to you. Being a meat hunter, I would wait for it to eat.

Ambush
04-17-2015, 11:59 AM
Unethical??? How could it be unethical?

Boner
04-17-2015, 12:38 PM
Steelco summed it up best.

If we want to keep our privilege of hunting grizzlies we have to take care in making sure the females and cubs are left to grow. I have yet to harvest a grizzly, but I immensely enjoy my LEH hunts when I get the opportunity. I had a chance once, but I was pretty sure it was a female, so I backed off.