PDA

View Full Version : If you can, please follow, Resident Hunter, on Twitter...

Ohwildwon
04-17-2015, 02:55 AM
I realize this should be on "open chat"....
There are only 35 followers on "@BCResidentHuntr" on twitter!
If you want to raise your voice, towards, Political Journalists, The recall,
Allocation Policy, Anti Hunters, the list goes on...
Twitter is huge for social involvement and movement, in my opinion...
The "Arab Spring" as a reference..
I myself recently joined, due to all this frustration with the allocation fiasco.
In doing so, and seeing the potential for RH's, I write this..
You do not need a smart ph, you can use your PC to join in "The Hunt"!...

Sincerely,

Mike

gutpile
04-18-2015, 10:51 AM
This form does all of that !

Ohwildwon
04-18-2015, 11:01 AM
Life is plural.
There are many forms of social media, this just being one of....
Many people are very ignorant towards hunting and conservation...
The more leaves we can turn over the better, in my opinion...

Spy
04-18-2015, 06:47 PM
Agreed great Idea :-)

Wentrot
04-18-2015, 07:38 PM
As someone who once believed social media would be beneficial, I am curious as to what it has done for us thus far? Sure it spreads our message but I haven't seen anything come of it.

In the end it seems not nearly enough care. We need protests with thousands and thousands of people in order to make any real change-and that ain't gonna happen.

Sorry, miserable lol

Whonnock Boy
04-18-2015, 07:47 PM
Honestly, resident hunters have not even scratched the surface of social media. Case in point, very few post on Thomson's, or Clark's facebook page, but a girl with a fish on BC Hunting and Fishing facebook page gets 100 likes within a day. 129 people on-line right here on HBC. If there is time to log on here, there's time to make a comment or two elsewhere. If every one of those people took less than a minute every day to post something on their wall, or comment on an article, then we would be utilizing social media. So far, non existent. It's actually kind of pathetic. :neutral:

As someone who once believed social media would be beneficial, I am curious as to what it has done for us thus far? Sure it spreads our message but I haven't seen anything come of it.
l

The Dawg
04-18-2015, 07:52 PM
Honestly, resident hunters have not even scratched the surface of social media. Case in point, very few post on Thomson's, or Clark's facebook page, but a girl with a fish on BC Hunting and Fishing facebook page gets 100 likes within a day. 129 people on-line right here on HBC. If there is time to log on here, there's time to make a comment or two elsewhere. If every one of those people took less than a minute every day to post something on their wall, or comment on an article, then we would be utilizing social media. So far, non existent. It's actually kind of pathetic. :neutral:

Agreed- I actually made a comment the other day about that

Guy posts a fish- 12 'likes', 4 "Where'd you catch it', 7- "Hold your arms out farther'

Girl posts fish - 402 likes, 27 marriage proposals.

WB nailed it again- people are apathetic.

The question is How do we change that?

If social media isnt working, whether or not its FB, Twitter, or HBC, what is the next avenue to reach thousands?

Right now, the advertising budget is 0 .

Hopefully this changes after the AGM, but until then, all we have is the free advertising.

Whonnock Boy
04-18-2015, 07:56 PM
If it has not changed yet, it most likely won't. We have encouraged, we have reminded, we have gave our reasons for doing so. It gets back to those letting others do all the work for them, and expecting results. What's the expression? Many hands make light work....

people are apathetic.

The question is How do we change that?

2chodi
04-18-2015, 07:58 PM
I wouldn't say the advertising budget has been zero - money has been provided for advertising in at least a couple of locations. My club spent a pile on ads - my perception is that the bulk mail-out to home addresses was the most effective.

Whonnock Boy
04-18-2015, 08:02 PM
Sure that's great for your club members, but what about non-hunter public support? I doubt the mail out put pressure on the Liberals either.

My club spent a pile on ads - my perception is that the bulk mail-out to home addresses was the most effective.

The Dawg
04-18-2015, 08:06 PM
I wouldn't say the advertising budget has been zero - money has been provided for advertising in at least a couple of locations. My club spent a pile on ads - my perception is that the bulk mail-out to home addresses was the most effective.

What I mean by 0 is on a mass scale- we are not able to hit the whole province of BC at one time with a paper/radio/television ad.

The only way to get the info out there quickly and efficiently is on social media

Whonnock Boy
04-18-2015, 08:10 PM
100 resident hunter shills could do a lot of damage if they utilized social media. A lot of damage! Think it's going to happen? Highly doubtful. Didn't even happen in the heat of the allocation fight, and I doubt it will happen now no matter how much we remind, ask, beg, or plead. Apathy is killing us.

The only way to get the info out there quickly and efficiently is on social media

2chodi
04-18-2015, 08:14 PM
Sure that's great for your club members, but what about non-hunter public support? I doubt the mail out put pressure on the Liberals either.

http://nprg.ca/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/NPRG-Allocation-Mail-Out.pdf

Went to every household in FSJ. Pat Pimm said he got 3X's as many letters on this issue than he did on Site C. 350 people at a public meeting. This is a liberal seat and that will not likely change, but we can influence the nomination for replacing the retiring Pimm.

Another mail-out is in the works.

Sitkaspruce
04-18-2015, 08:26 PM

It went ALL residents of FSJ, not just the club members.......not that I think there is many non-hunters up here....problem is a lot still have red and white plates and really don't care....

As for support from non-hunters.....that is hard to say as right now, people are more concerned about their jobs and making their payments than what is going on in Victoria and the rest of BC....

Social media is still very new to a lot of us old time hunters how grew up with dial up telephones and face to face meetings.....so we need to think of other ways.

What really needs to happen is to actually see the results of the new allocation and I do not see much on FB and here about how the new LEH numbers are actually changing. Yes there have been a few posts but over all, people are busy with their lives and since spring is here, bears and turkeys are the talk.

Cheers

SS

Whonnock Boy
04-18-2015, 08:29 PM
That's great to hear, and your point is taken. What about the rest of the province, and the original point of the op's? Forum users should be posting on social media, and unfortunately I have not seen that happening, or going to happen. How can we change that? It really could make a difference, and it's free!!!

http://nprg.ca/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/NPRG-Allocation-Mail-Out.pdf

Went to every household in FSJ. Pat Pimm said he got 3X's as many letters on this issue than he did on Site C. 350 people at a public meeting. This is a liberal seat and that will not likely change, but we can influence the nomination for replacing the retiring Pimm.

Another mail-out is in the works.

Whonnock Boy
04-18-2015, 08:32 PM
That is part of it, but is this not about allocated species being sold instead of residents seeing priority for them, especially at such high percentages?

What really needs to happen is to actually see the results of the new allocation

SS

2chodi
04-18-2015, 08:41 PM
I guess my main point is that I think the direct mail-out was the most effective for us and did reach hunters and non-hunters. It is expensive though. The social media campaign has a narrow audience - hunters and anti-hunters mostly. I followed the server logs for both the North Peace Rod and Gun's website and residentpriority.ca, and even though the URLs were front and centre in ads and newspaper articles (rp.ca in some major publications over the years), traffic has not been very high. There were some major spikes, but not large numbers of visits in the scheme of things. When we first launched rp.ca, there was a significant % of traffic from government IP addresses, so we did get their attention.

Whonnock Boy
04-18-2015, 08:56 PM
Christy Clark has 35,000 followers on her facebook page. Not something to sneeze at. Add in the fact that the next generation of hunters WILL be using social media a lot more than "old time hunters", and it is an avenue that should be utilized to its full potential regardless of the impact it makes right now. Every little bit helps.

The Dawg
04-18-2015, 09:03 PM
Ok, for those that are writing your MLA's, which should be ALL of you still.

Here's another tactic.

Lets drive awareness to our social media sites and get them passed around the Internal emails.

Even if you dont use twitter or Facebook, most Government officials do and will click to see what we have going on.

Simply include the following three links into your emails- cut and paste.

https://www.facebook.com/residentpriority

https://twitter.com/BCResidentHuntr

http://residentpriority.ca/

2chodi
04-18-2015, 09:14 PM
Christy Clark has 35,000 followers on her facebook page. Not something to sneeze at. Add in the fact that the next generation of hunters WILL be using social media a lot more than "old time hunters", and it is an avenue that should be utilized to its full potential regardless of the impact it makes right now. Every little bit helps.

I totally agree - I wasn't trying to discourage the use of social media.

I just sent Christy a Tweet: https://twitter.com/tuchodi/status/589642918266216448

Whonnock Boy
04-18-2015, 09:23 PM
A tweet for the twit. Good show! ;)

I just sent Christy a Tweet: https://twitter.com/tuchodi/status/589642918266216448

The Dawg
04-18-2015, 09:28 PM
A tweet for the twit. Good show! ;)

The resident hunters tweeted the twat too!

Ohwildwon
04-18-2015, 09:32 PM
Thanks all who have chimed in to get this thread going!!!!

I was getting a little bewildered there for a bit...