PDA

View Full Version : few questions first time black bear hunt nahatlach area

ff89
04-15-2015, 09:25 PM
Just so you all know this is my first hunt ever I am totally new. I don't have anyone to learn from so I am trying to figure it out as I go.
I am trying to ensure I get a good tasting bear and after scouting around the Nahatlach up too 50K a few questions came to mind. I picked this area because its close to home yet far away enough from salmon streams (i think) that I should be able to get a non-fishy bear. However I am wondering what else can I do to get the best meat as possible.
Its early in the season and if I got a bear thats been eating skunk cabbage would that effect its taste?
For meat purposes, is it better to wait later in to the spring?
Would a bear thats been eating grass by the lakes taste different than one from a high up in a cutblock?
From my research I figure its important to get the meat as cool as quick as I can. I've heard mixed things regarding this.
Is it ok too cool it in a creek?
Is it important too bone it out as much as I can or is quartered fine for the drive home?
Any tips on how to get the best tasting meat on my table are greatly appreciated.

Hanrahan
04-15-2015, 09:37 PM
I don't know much about the taste of bear meat as I don't hunt them. They won't have been eating much fish since last year though.
Keep your meat cool. Skinning it right away helps. If you're driving right home you should be fine. Only reason to bone it out as far as I'm concerned is if you're packing it out a long distance. Otherwise quartering it is perfectly fine. I've cooled deer down on hot days in a creek if I needed to. Shouldn't be a problem if you do. Just choose a nice rocky clear cold creek.

Tīɡ
04-15-2015, 09:45 PM
Since it is spring there shouldn't be any issue with the bear tasting like fish. For the most part grass is grass, so where it has been eating grass shouldn't change anything. I can't comment on it eating skunk cabbage b/c I have not had any experience with that. My buddy got a bear last spring and it's stomach was full of grass and ant larvae, it tasted stellar! Also we gutted the bear and then took it home whole after packing its gut cavity with bags of ice and there was no ill effects...the truck thermometer read 27C. You shouldn't have any issues with getting a fine tasting bear in spring and taking care of the meat.

Dre
04-15-2015, 09:47 PM
I don't like to soak meat in water, if its in garbage bags, you can cool it for a short time. IMO the best is to quarter it, put it in game bags and hang it for at least a few hours in the shade, near a creek. Air circulation is important. If you need to hit the road, bone it out and put itn in a cooler with ice under and on top. The only fishy tasting bear I've had was from the island. From Nahatlatch area should taste fine. Later in the season, they will have more fat and you don't have to add as much pork fat when you make sausages.

ACB
04-15-2015, 09:52 PM
For cooling it if you can find a bridge over a creek,you can hang the bear ,hide off, quartered off the bridge in the shade. The cool air coming down stream or up stream will cool your bear nicely. From experience it works great. DON"T PUT IT IN THE WATER.

Sofa King
04-15-2015, 09:58 PM
have you eaten bear before?
like someone said in that other thread, "well, it's bear".

ff89
04-15-2015, 10:30 PM
have you eaten bear before?
like someone said in that other thread, "well, it's bear".
yup i've had it a few times in sausages i thought it was great

t-rexer
04-15-2015, 11:16 PM
I've only harvested 3 but my family prefers it to deer even. My oldest daughter 4 loves bear pepperoni the best

two-feet
04-16-2015, 07:59 AM
I have some bear sausage that would compete with ANY other sausage. Bear meat is superior to any rutting ungulate because it is not gamey. People talk down on bear meat but then shoot a mule deer in november and try to eat that?

My buddies wife and her sister are both semi-vegetarian, animal lover types and we have them eating bear sausage too! All it took was to trick them into eating it before they knew it was bear.

albravo2
04-16-2015, 08:07 AM
If you need to bag it so submerge it in a creek, don't use garbage bags. They are not food safe because of their petroleum content.

There are big food safe bags out there but I can't think of where to buy them off the top of my head. I use the pillow case style cheesecloth bags but I have never put anything underwater to cool it.

ducktoller
04-16-2015, 12:58 PM
If you need to bag it so submerge it in a creek, don't use garbage bags. They are not food safe because of their petroleum content.

There are big food safe bags out there but I can't think of where to buy them off the top of my head. I use the pillow case style cheesecloth bags but I have never put anything underwater to cool it.

If you were to cool partially in water, it would need a place for air to escape, if the eat is still hot hot hot and sealed in a bag itll stay insulated for a little bit (especially if the water isnt super cold) and may promote some growth (just a thought).

On taht note dont out the bags in snow, same insulation effect

GotaGun
04-16-2015, 01:17 PM
Keep it out of water.
Gut it and skin asap.
it we I'll cool fast .
If you are worried hit the first gas station and put a couple ice bags in the cavity. Bag and all.I've only done this If a long drive home and really hot out.

sparkes3
04-16-2015, 05:32 PM
on really hot days i will take a cooler with ice