View Full Version : What kuiu gear do you own

leadpillproductions
04-15-2015, 11:01 AM
What kuiu gear do you own, So far ive bought ,
Icon hat: love it super light and looks breathable
Climbing belt " again looks good
Icon pro 7200 " no idea hasn't been delivered yet
Icon pro hip pockets: well built and lite
Wanting buy other gear from there but wanting to discuss with you guys on your gear besfore I bite the bullet again
on pants and their insulation line

Blockcaver
04-15-2015, 11:41 AM
Chugach rain gear, Attack pants, Spindrift jacket, Superdown hooded jacket, Guide gloves and Merino zip-neck Ts and long johns. They all work well, but the Merino wool doesn't last very long in my experience. I recommend all the other pieces for back pack hunting.

donny.brooke
04-15-2015, 11:44 AM
Bino harness
Ultra 3200, 1800
Icon pro hip pouches
load hauler adapter for pack
heavyweight marino underwear

leadpillproductions
04-15-2015, 12:05 PM
Your attack pants how are would they be for aug sheep hunt not to hot? also what about the spindrift jacket do you find you ware underclothing for the insulation or as a acual jacket , or do you find the superdown is a better option
Chugach rain gear, Attack pants, Spindrift jacket, Superdown hooded jacket, Guide gloves and Merino zip-neck Ts and long johns. They all work well, but the Merino wool doesn't last very long in my experience. I recommend all the other pieces for back pack hunting.

bcsteve
04-15-2015, 12:51 PM
Yukon jacket and Guide gloves.

huntcoop
04-15-2015, 01:26 PM
Could only afford a hat :cry:

sammy-j-peppers
04-15-2015, 06:24 PM
Yukon jacket- had leaking issues at zipper. sold it
Attack pants- are very nice pants but would not buy again until Canadian $$ goes up. not worth the extra 20%
Chugach rain gear- too light weight and fragile for constant use. tore up my pants in 1 season, jacket-sold it
Superdown pants and jacket- too thin and not very warm IMO. sold it
Merino top and bottoms- wore holes in both after one season- sold it and bought Taiga merino
Guide beanie- not warm or windproof. sold it
Neck gaitor- too tight and short. sold it
Tiburon shirt- material snagged on everything and frayed. returned to kuiu on warranty
Ball cap- faded after 1 month of wearing it. trashed it
Gaitors- too large for my small calf's. sold it
Hip pouch- zipper broke after 1 season. trashed it

Best thing about kuiu is the popularity of it and low availability of inventory I have been able to sell used torn up gear for 80-100% of cost.

After the lack of communication to the consumer about the major tent leaking issues, I don't trust buying anything else from them.

mddat
04-15-2015, 06:44 PM
Attack pants are you awesome, my favourite piece from kuiu, also have guide jacket, pants, beanie and gloves. Guide series is great for when it's a little colder out. Not the biggest fan of the guide beanie thou. Have ultra merino 145 and 210 long sleeves but probably won't buy them again. They're pilling and wearing fast. I Kinda want to try the new peloton series and the Kenai jacket but probably won't. I'll prob put my kuiu stuff for sale and go with Sitka, it's still cheaper in the long run.

604ksmith
04-15-2015, 07:20 PM
Guide Pant, Jacket and Vest
Chugach Pant and Jacket
Merino 140 long sleeve
Hats
Neck Gaiter
Guide Gloves
Belt
Foot Gaiters
Icon 7200
Icon Pro 1800
Bino Harness

So far I have been very happy with Kuiu. As mentioned above, the rain gear is somewhat fragile, but I don't treat it as normal gear and have had no issues. Kuiu also cleans up very well with respect to both blood and mud.

swampthing
04-15-2015, 07:22 PM
I am new to kuiu recently. I bought the attack pants, Chinook jacket, ball cap, bino harness, and just recently took delivery of the icon pro 5200 with hip pouches and their lightest merino longsleeve top. I like the vias pattern so all this stuff has it. It seems like good stuff but I only have a 2 day coyote hunt with it. I have plenty of Sitka stuff and love it. The kuiu stuff seems similar in quality. I am probably doing a backpack grizz hunt this spring and will give it a good workout.

digger dogger
04-15-2015, 07:33 PM
Yukon jacket- had leaking issues at zipper. sold it
Attack pants- are very nice pants but would not buy again until Canadian $$ goes up. not worth the extra 20%
Chugach rain gear- too light weight and fragile for constant use. tore up my pants in 1 season, jacket-sold it
Superdown pants and jacket- too thin and not very warm IMO. sold it
Merino top and bottoms- wore holes in both after one season- sold it and bought Taiga merino
Guide beanie- not warm or windproof. sold it
Neck gaitor- too tight and short. sold it
Tiburon shirt- material snagged on everything and frayed. returned to kuiu on warranty
Ball cap- faded after 1 month of wearing it. trashed it
Gaitors- too large for my small calf's. sold it
Hip pouch- zipper broke after 1 season. trashed it

Best thing about kuiu is the popularity of it and low availability of inventory I have been able to sell used torn up gear for 80-100% of cost.

After the lack of communication to the consumer about the major tent leaking issues, I don't trust buying anything else from them.

I have a buddy that has been sucked into kuiu.
The beanie is a joke, if i hadn't brought an extra toque on a hunt, he would have been miserable.

Nothing, other than the backpack is worth the shipping hassles.
1-2 year gear, imho.
Almost all of his kuiu clothes are either ripped, or leak.

sammy-j-peppers
04-15-2015, 08:26 PM
I have a buddy that has been sucked into kuiu.
The beanie is a joke, if i hadn't brought an extra toque on a hunt, he would have been miserable.

Nothing, other than the backpack is worth the shipping hassles.
1-2 year gear, imho.
Almost all of his kuiu clothes are either ripped, or leak.

I got sucked into the kuiu marketing for a while, but found out their stuff is no different than most the outdoor clothing already available. I do really like their attack pants, but as stated earlier not worth the extra 20% with the Canadian dollar.

leadpillproductions
04-15-2015, 08:29 PM
Do you guys like the attack pants for early sheep hunts

lorneparker1
04-15-2015, 08:30 PM
2 pair of attack pants, love them band wear them all season long. Best pant out there IMO but obvious not water proof

Spindrift. Nice insulation layer. Not made for super cold but nice under a rain jacket on your typical VI winter day

3 sets 185 and 235 Merino tops and bottoms. Wear one of tops every hunt and the bottom if its chilly.

Guide Jacket. Barely ever use it. Don't really have a use for a kind of rain jacket. lol Should sell it I guess.

Chucach rain jacket- was good for 2 seasons, could use a spray. Gets damp if its really coming down ( rain)

Summary

If its not raining I wear my attack pants pretty much exclusively.

The diversity and layering of the merino+/- spindrift + rain jacket. Keeps me comfortable and dry from 15 degrees to 0.

Overall I am very happy with my kuiu gear and have zero issues

sammy-j-peppers
04-15-2015, 08:37 PM
Do you guys like the attack pants for early sheep hunts

My last sheep hunt my attack pants stayed in my tent and I wore my rain pants the entire trip. It rained every day and I find the attacks take a long time to dry out once the dwr wears off. It was a pain in the butt packing them around without ever wearing them.

lorneparker1
04-15-2015, 08:42 PM
My last sheep hunt my attack pants stayed in my tent and I wore my rain pants the entire trip. It rained every day and I find the attacks take a long time to dry out once the dwr wears off. It was a pain in the butt packing them around without ever wearing them.

That 1 lb that rolls up to the size of a pair of socks must have been brutal! :)

Lorne

Lukeez88
04-15-2015, 08:43 PM
are the guide pants/jacket comparable to sitka's 90%? what would be better for mid-late season hunts?

BCbuckhunter
04-15-2015, 08:43 PM
Guide jacket, vest,and pants
Attack pants
Chinook jacket
Chugach rain gear
ultra merino basea layers, 125,145 top and bottom
guide and yukon pro gloves
bino harness
yukon gaiters
2013 icon frame with 1850 and 7200 bags
2015 icon pro 7200(might sell my the 2013 model)
super down jacket and pants
super down sleeping bag

I have used Kuiu for a few years now and its held up great no problems yet. I have not even ripped anything and I haven't been real easy on my gear. I have used Sitka and Under Armor. Kuiu is by far the best I have used, more durable, breathes better, far more water resistant and if it does get damp dries faster. I will continue to by Kuiu gear worth the $$$ imho.

sammy-j-peppers
04-15-2015, 08:47 PM
That 1 lb that rolls up to the size of a pair of socks must have been brutal! :)

Lorne

Yeah it was! Kuiu needs to fix this issue and offer the ultra pro attack pants version II that weigh half a pound.

Fred1
04-15-2015, 09:46 PM
145 zip bottoms
145 zip T
125 T
Attack pants
Kenai Jacket - if I had to do it again Id go with the down stuff- just cause it compresses to almost nothing
Chinook jacket
This stuff layers great, all thumbs up!!

lorneparker1
04-15-2015, 09:52 PM
Yeah it was! Kuiu needs to fix this issue and offer the ultra pro attack pants version II that weigh half a pound.

Hahahaha 10-4!~

Lorne

Seth
04-15-2015, 09:59 PM
Yukon jacket- no complaints. It's kept me absolutely dry.
Chugah pant- untested. Just recieved them
Guide jacket- no complaints
Icon hats- love them. Ultralight and they dry out in a hurry.

SR80
04-16-2015, 06:51 AM
I used to have a lot, but sold most of it. I have few things that kept that I really liked. Superdown jacket and vest, very warm for what they weight and compress down to. Also really like zip off merino long johns, being able to shed that layer without taking your boots off its a great. Went through a couple bino harnesses and a couple of their packs, yukon zipper problems all warrantable things though. Also have a 125 ultra merino t, not a huge fan as it stretches out like crazy after wearing it with a pack on it, which is what I thought was supposed to be good about the fancy ultra merino is that it isnt supposed to stretch out...had a few hats too, i dont know whats up with them, but its like they steam roll them flat and then shrink them..they suck in my opinion, worst hats ever.

BgBlkDg
04-16-2015, 07:13 AM
It seems odd that some here have had so many problems with this stuff and others just love it. I wonder why that is.

The warrantee issue is another problem as no warrantee does one any good in the mountains where only real quality of design and manufacture make an item of gear function as one requires.

I am very skeptical about the real quality of much of the backpack hunting gear that has come onto the market in the past decade or so as much of it seems to be designed for purchase but not so much for long term, practical function.

For light alpine raingear, I much prefer Westcomb Neoshell tops and REI eVent pants. NO trendy camo, which is not a problem in any case.

Blockcaver
04-16-2015, 07:57 AM
Lead pill productions, the Attack pants are my favorite alpine piece. They shed wind and moisture pretty well, drying quickly and are not too hot. Put merino under them and chugach rain pants over the top and they will keep you warm in some dang wet, windy and cold weather too. My experience is they are tough as long as you stay out of the blackberries (coast) or catclaw (AZ) with them. They don't hold up well for those uses but do in the alpine. My original pair from 2011 are finally wearing through at the pant cuffs but have seen a lot of use over 4 seasons of wear.

I like both the Superdown jacket and the spindrift primaloft insulated jacket. The hooded Superdown is warmer, packs down to 1/2 the size and weighs 2/3 of the primaloft. However it does not breath and I get very damp from sweat if I wear it when active. It is great to use on the windy ridges, around camp or to bed if your bag is a bit light for the over night temperatures. So far the down has not gotten wet and clumped like typical down for me. Primaloft is much better if you are wearing a coat when you hike as it breathes. Trade offs, but I take the Superdown when I backpack for the tiny stuffed size and extra warmth the hooded down jacket provides.

Obi-wanshinobi
04-16-2015, 12:41 PM
If anyone has some KUIU hats they want to sell let me know. Also, might be a long shot but I need a 2012/2013 Icon frame if anybody has one.

goinghunting
04-18-2015, 09:52 PM
Chugach jacket and pants
Yukon pants
Attack pants
Yukon gloves
Guide gloves
Superdown jacket and pants
7200 icon
Bino harness
Boonie hat

I like there gear and how there always striving to improve. I hate there inventory stock and with the canadian dollar theres some other good options out there but good gear in general. Bino harness, superdown hoodie and yukon pants are my favorite pieces that I own.

604ksmith
04-18-2015, 10:12 PM
It seems odd that some here have had so many problems with this stuff and others just love it. I wonder why that is.

The warrantee issue is another problem as no warrantee does one any good in the mountains where only real quality of design and manufacture make an item of gear function as one requires.

I am very skeptical about the real quality of much of the backpack hunting gear that has come onto the market in the past decade or so as much of it seems to be designed for purchase but not so much for long term, practical function.

For light alpine raingear, I much prefer Westcomb Neoshell tops and REI eVent pants. NO trendy camo, which is not a problem in any case.

I think the inconsistent quality comes from the fact Kuiu is trying to endlessly evolve. Much of their gear is still in the first, or maybe second configuration. Buying their gear is almost like buying a new model vehicle. If you buy the first year of a new design you get all the toys, but may have to endure the manufacturer working out some kinks.

From what I've heard, the quality is better in Kuiu's older items that have been around a few seasons, whereas their new products with new materials suffer the issues (bags, tents, down wear etc...)

However, I've have had no issues with quality in my Kuiu, but I'm sure that I eventually will. I guess I got lucky so far.

swampthing
04-19-2015, 08:48 AM
are the guide pants/jacket comparable to sitka's 90%? what would be better for mid-late season hunts?

No they are different. The Yukon is a waterproof system that is considerably warmer. I think the Yukon would be best for late season/snow type hunting. That said I have used my 90% for that type of hunting for years now adding raingear or layers as needed. I would like to own a set of Yukon stuff one day.

BgBlkDg
04-25-2015, 04:43 AM
Each to his own, but, I certainly would not buy gear that has all of the issues that I have read about here. There are many alternatives for gear to carry, wear and use in BC bush activities and Kuiu seems rather sketchy to me.

The scam that Hairston pulled here where some bought items labeled as made here and that were actually made in China, turned me off and the QC issues support that. I sometimes think that some, often younger hunters are led by cunning advertising and trends to buy gear that is not what the makers claim and is more costly than need be.

I spent many years where I would be alone in alpine areas, sheep country, for three months, no breaks and one heli-supply mid-season. I never found camo necessary for stalking animals to study them, lived in tiny prefab shacks so had to be careful about what I took with me and my earth coloured clothes and masking my face and hands were as effective as any camo I have used since the mid-1980s.

I would buy a medium grey Westcomb Neoshell jacket and pants over any of the trendy camo stuff made in China and my Apoc shell is 3 years old, worn a lot and still like new, real BC-made quality.