PDA

View Full Version : Saw my first of the year

itsy bitsy xj
04-14-2015, 09:31 PM
So in the early afternoon today I decided that as it was so warm an sunny I should go look for a bear. I through my basic gear in the truck and went to chilliwack river valley. First area I stopped to glass (with my new Zeiss Terra Ed) I see a beauty but he's at the top of a big hill and I have a very sore hamstring and I'm really really out of shape. So I watched him for about 15 minutes then I start trying the hill and it's killing me. I make it about 200 meters and I figure I'm 1/4 to maybe 1/3 of the way to him I still wasn't sure about the shot with my '06 and if I did hit him and he took off further up the hill I'd be f#%^ed. So I watched him slowly leave. I know some of you will say that's an easy shot but I just didn't have the confidence to pull the trigger or the strength to climb anymore. But I did see 3 Millie does on the way out.
IMG_8417.jpeg

HarryToolips
04-14-2015, 09:39 PM
It was a good decision with your condition for sure..at least you were out enjoying yourself..

Wentrot
04-14-2015, 09:44 PM
Nothin' wrong with knowing your limits

itsy bitsy xj
04-14-2015, 10:12 PM
It was a good decision with your condition for sure..at least you were out enjoying yourself..

You should of asked me how much fun I was having when my heart was beating out of my chest lol

greenhornhunter
04-15-2015, 07:33 AM
Good decision, first thing i was taught was if you aren't confident in your shot do not take it. If it took off and was injured and you couldn't recover it because of your limitations Just imagine how you would feel.

Above the Treeline
04-15-2015, 08:13 AM
Good call.

Steeleco
04-15-2015, 08:49 AM
Times like that is when you hope calling works in your favor, I've had bears run right to my feet and others show me their hind ends, and gone. Still an exciting day out, they are going to be better with the inbound weather. Go back soon and see if you can find him closer?

two-feet
04-15-2015, 11:02 AM
Many of my very best fishing and hunting memories are "the one that got away". Now you have 2 more months of hunting!

itsy bitsy xj
04-15-2015, 01:39 PM
Times like that is when you hope calling works in your favor, I've had bears run right to my feet and others show me their hind ends, and gone. Still an exciting day out, they are going to be better with the inbound weather. Go back soon and see if you can find him closer?

I tried calling but I don't have much experience calling. it did seem to make any difference. He may not of heard me.

caddisguy
04-15-2015, 02:56 PM

What do you use for calling? I tried to lure a bear out of a creek with an esterdoe call and and a fawn call (I forgot to take them out of my pack from the fall prior) It sounded like he was coming back out, but he ended up giving us the slip. Wind was not in our favour.

Steeleco
04-15-2015, 04:37 PM
I've got a rabbit in distress call that works most of the time. I called one in last year that ran like a damn horse from well over 600 yds. They hear it, but some don't give a damn. I've also by accident called out many does and boy are they pissed. In the Cariboo last Oct she was hell bent on kicking our ass, came right up to 25 yds. Was pretty cool, no damn doe tag :(

itsy bitsy xj
04-16-2015, 09:37 AM
The bear I was watching looked like maybe he had just woke up. He would get up walk around a little then lay down for a couple of minutes then up walk ten feet and sit for a few minutes. Hewas really interested in anything much