PDA

View Full Version : Tzenzaicut Lake....

scoutlt1
04-13-2015, 08:24 PM
Any feedback on hunting near this lake?

I drove around the area many years ago. Beautiful country for sure, but back then I was only looking to do some fishing and camping.

Thought about spending a week or so this fall to check things out...maybe scare up a deer or bear....I'm sure some grouse.

Not looking for any serious info, just curious.

Thanks!

LYKTOHUNT
04-13-2015, 08:45 PM
Deer is kind of tough now, sure there are some but kind of hard to find,you should find bears and guys do get moose out there, birds were pretty good last year,depending on how long it has been since you were here last you will see a lot of change due to bug kill salvage. Wolves have had a pretty good time in most all of region 5

Timbow
04-13-2015, 08:45 PM
Put in for a moose draw as well. Pretty decent for muleys and hunt towards Webster lake for whitetail. Good ruffed grouse and sharptail in the slashes. Good black bear and some consistent colour phases.

scoutlt1
04-13-2015, 08:48 PM
Deer is kind of tough now, sure there are some but kind of hard to find,you should find bears and guys do get moose out there, birds were pretty good last year,depending on how long it has been since you were here last you will see a lot of change due to bug kill salvage. Wolves have had a pretty good time in most all of region 5

Was wondering about the bug kill. It's been over 10 years since my last "visit". Wolves are the list too of course!!

scoutlt1
04-13-2015, 08:48 PM
Put in for a moose draw as well. Pretty decent for muleys and hunt towards Webster lake for whitetail. Good ruffed grouse and sharptail in the slashes. Good black bear and some consistent colour phases.

Thanks for that info!

LYKTOHUNT
04-13-2015, 08:53 PM
Was wondering about the bug kill. It's been over 10 years since my last "visit". Wolves are the list too of course!!
Then you will see a big difference

scoutlt1
04-13-2015, 09:00 PM
Then you will see a big difference

Have done a number of trips up north since then, but always blew by that area as I was heading up the Dease/Watson Lake/Ft. Nelson area. My last trip close to there was out the Nazko Hwy...like I said...over 10 years ago.

If nothing else it will be an interesting "update" for me...

Drillbit
04-13-2015, 09:01 PM
Pretty moonscaped these days.

Lots of black bears in the spring.
Lots of wolf tracks in the winter.

Not much for deer or moose anymore, used to be great tho, hunted there lots before the ATV ban.

Plus the guides/outfitters had ATV use restricted there years ago.

steel_ram
04-13-2015, 09:03 PM
Had the draw in there 10+ years ago. Put in there because of the ATV ban but the things were still around. Though it was heavily logged then we got our moose and saw bulls every day. Same with mulies yet nothing big. Trout in the lake were many but pretty small. Lots of two legged wolves in that country. It's not too far away from Quesnel.

scoutlt1
04-13-2015, 09:07 PM
Pretty moonscaped these days.

Lots of black bears in the spring.
Lots of wolf tracks in the winter.

Not much for deer or moose anymore, used to be great tho, hunted there lots before the ATV ban.

Plus the guides/outfitters had ATV use restricted there years ago.

The ATV ban sure does suck, but my son and I will be travelling light (somewhere) this fall so no quad. But still I agree....

scoutlt1
04-13-2015, 09:12 PM
Had the draw in there 10+ years ago. Put in there because of the ATV ban but the things were still around. Though it was heavily logged then we got our moose and saw bulls every day. Same with mulies yet nothing big. Trout in the lake were many but pretty small. Lots of two legged wolves in that country. It's not too far away from Quesnel.

Thanks. No moose draw yet but hoping? to get one (I'm dreaming of course! :) )

I'd be happy with some small rainbows to change things up, and understand why there'd be lots of those two legged "wolves" out there. Harder and harder to get away from those b****rds!!

really just looking for a good spot to get away from the LM.... :)

swampthing
04-14-2015, 07:16 PM
I surveyed that lake in the late 90s when I worked for ducks unlimited. I remember seeing a great bachelor herd of mulies in full velvet. I also remember seeing a black bear swimming after a mulie doe in the lake. Long time ago.

Salix
04-14-2015, 07:43 PM
It's very heavily logged in the past 5 years. Not much left for the game to hide from the wolves or the hunters in the fall. Been working in that area for years and moose numbers are significantly down. Bears are plentiful and deer can be found along the Garner/ Webster lake area to the east.

scoutlt1
04-14-2015, 07:47 PM
Sounds like it will hold some very different "scenery" this time 'round.

Still looking forward to spending some time there however.

Thanks for all the info!