PDA

View Full Version : Hunting boots

ajr5406
04-13-2015, 07:40 AM
Slowly getting kitted out for hunting season. Im planning on doing a fair amount of hiking while im hunting, so do I REALLY need fancy hunting boots, or will my standard hiking boots (above ankle) work?

604ksmith
04-13-2015, 07:46 AM
I think it really depends on three things: your foot structure, your terrain, and your backpack weight.

The higher your arch, weaker your ankle, or more problematic your knees, you'll need stronger stiffer boots. The steeper and rockier terrain, the stiffer taller boot you'll need, and the heavier your pack, you guessed it, the stiffer and taller boot you'll need.

For flat hunts in open terrain I wear anything from trail runners to 6 inch boots depending on my pack load. For hunts in steep mountainous terrain I always wear a stiff 9 inch boot regardless of pack weight.

BgBlkDg
04-13-2015, 07:47 AM
I wear regular hiking boots all day, every day and a good pair that fits correctly is the most versatile footwear for hunting that you can buy.

Most of the so-called "hunting boots" I have seen are not of as high quality as the best brands of hikers and are too heavy, IMO.

Meindl, Lova, Zamberlan, Scarpa, Hanwag, are all brands that in their heavy duty models, when FITTED properly are excellent choices and will last for many miles when maintained well.

Harv
04-13-2015, 07:53 AM
If your hunting on the coast and spend time hiking, meindl,s with caulked soles are the way to go. No more slipping on ice and steep ground

itsy bitsy xj
04-13-2015, 10:15 AM
You must buy hunting boots! After all you are going hunting, not hiking.

ajr5406
04-13-2015, 04:50 PM
You must buy hunting boots! After all you are going hunting, not hiking.

Ha ha. Good one...

Carrollizer
04-13-2015, 04:59 PM
I have grown fond of the Irish Setter - Elk Trackers. They are 12" high and have great grip on any terrain, whether it be snow or mud or rocks etc. and they're waterproof
I figured I'd get high tops since I always had bad luck with rolling ankles while hunting/hiking. Since I got these I have yet to roll an ankle

HarryToolips
04-13-2015, 08:30 PM
Love my army boots... With in soles they're comfortable, and if taken care of, ie oiled regularly etc, they will out last all the boots previously mentioned, By a Long shot I garautee it..

Brno22F
04-13-2015, 10:57 PM
If your hunting on the coast and spend time hiking, meindl,s with caulked soles are the way to go. No more slipping on ice and steep ground

One caution about caulked boots. They are really noisy when you walk on ice or on rocky ground. If stealth is important to you as a hunter, I would not recommend caulked sole boots. I have better luck on steep rocky ground with a good aggressive rubber lug sole like a Vibram.

Sylus
04-13-2015, 11:15 PM
I just got a pair of salomon quest 2's and they are great so far. Lightweight, stiff soled, aggressive tread. They have a great track record from over in the hiking world and they are a damn sight cheaper than a pair of Scarpas, Lowas or Kenetreks.

monasheemountainman
04-14-2015, 12:25 AM
I really like my scarpas. If you are hunting in the mountains in rough terrain do yourself a favour and buy good boots. Scarpa, lowa, hanwag, all good european hiking boots.

buy good stuff and never regret it.

BgBlkDg
04-14-2015, 01:54 AM
Love my army boots... With in soles they're comfortable, and if taken care of, ie oiled regularly etc, they will out last all the boots previously mentioned, By a Long shot I garautee it..

How would you know this unless you have worn and worn out all of the boots previously mentioned?

I have some boots, over 30 yrs. old, resoled twice and worn constantly for 2-3 years in forestry field work and mountaineering. I usually can get 2-3 resolings from a good pair of Euro. boots, even with the 1.25" orthopaedic lift on my right one and I have never seen an "army boot" that was not just mediocre crap....but, I may be wrong as I do not wear such boots.

BTW, to have the actual experience to substantiate your claim, you need to be over 60, I am 68 and spent decades working in wild places on foot; how old are you?

BgBlkDg
04-14-2015, 02:02 AM

I was almost killed in a fall on VI when supervising in silviculture some 35 years ago when wearing corks as they slide on rocks very easily.

There are lots of rocky areas in BCs "steep ground" and corks are not a sound choice for mountain hunting while light crampons are much superior on ice.

I consider corks a bit dangerous for hunting use, but, what do I know.

Harv
04-14-2015, 05:56 AM
T each their own, i concider not wearing them in te areas i hunt dangerous most of the time its 100% slope by the time were on the road were not hunting anymore, they are only dangerous if you dont learn how to walk in them, ive wached guys try, they spend more time worrying about what they are going to slip and fall on next than looking for deer. This is on vancouver island mind you, i dont wear them in the flat land or in sheep country but if your in steep loone shit timber country theirs no beating them

moosinaround
04-14-2015, 06:33 AM
When I was doing forestry, silviculture, timber cruising, layout etc, I had several pairs of "work" boots, all designed for different purposes. I performed most of my duties with my Scarpas. I tried many different brands of hikers, but always come back to the Scarpas. I used caulks when in the cedar and the wetter ecosystems east of PG, but for the drier flatter areas, it was Scarpas. So, I guess you know my suggestion?!!! Moosin

sausage lover
04-14-2015, 07:23 AM
I like my elk trackers for all terrains except high rocky off camber with big pack! They are super comfy but not enough support for the real rugged stuff.

.330 Dakota
04-14-2015, 07:38 AM
I have a pair of 6" Asolo's that are great in the high rocky stuff (goats) and a pair of 8" Meindls for the wet stuff

white moose
04-14-2015, 07:45 AM
Just bought a set of asolo tps 535 boots from mec. Have not used them yet, but seemed to fit well. The brother swears their a great boot, guess I'll find out. I still use my 1000 gram thinsulate elk trackers for hunting in November, they are just to warm in September. The asolos were $300

.330 Dakota
04-14-2015, 07:49 AM
Just bought a set of asolo tps 535 boots from mec. Have not used them yet, but seemed to fit well. The brother swears their a great boot, guess I'll find out. I still use my 1000 gram thinsulate elk trackers for hunting in November, they are just to warm in September. The asolos were $300

They are a great boot, you will love them. I bought mine at MEC last year, drove back to 100 Mile, and saw them on sale in Work & Play for $175.......ticked me off,,,that MEC store is a joke. Ive bought 2 pairs of boots from them now, and wont again, as both pairs were found substantially cheaper elsewhere

BRvalley
04-14-2015, 09:04 AM
I just got a pair of salomon quest 2's and they are great so far. Lightweight, stiff soled, aggressive tread. They have a great track record from over in the hiking world and they are a damn sight cheaper than a pair of Scarpas, Lowas or Kenetreks.

I have those boots, let me know if yours are waterproof...didn't get anywhere with customer service...they do get great reviews, but there a good number of reviews about not being water proof....and if you weigh more than 200 lbs, the soles suck, regardless of what insole you put in, you can feel every pebble through the boot....they are a good boot for walking the seawall imo lol

BRvalley
04-14-2015, 09:08 AM
I like my lowa boots a lot, my first pair had a shrinkage issue which is apparently common, second pair got a half size larger and they have been great to me

I tried on kenetreks also, was a close call but went with lowa....I'd to try on some hanwags next time I go shopping, but that's a long ways away

Sylus
04-14-2015, 10:02 AM
I have those boots, let me know if yours are waterproof...didn't get anywhere with customer service...they do get great reviews, but there a good number of reviews about not being water proof....and if you weigh more than 200 lbs, the soles suck, regardless of what insole you put in, you can feel every pebble through the boot....they are a good boot for walking the seawall imo lol

I sent you a PM regarding the salomons

nicktrehearne
04-14-2015, 10:18 AM
I have owned Mendls, Danners, Merrell, Scarpa, La Sportiva, Kenetrek, Zamberlan, Asolo and Irish Setters. Personally, I spend 150+ days/year hunting and hiking around the mountains / bush and with the exception of Kenetrek, I'd take a mountaineering brand/company (La Sportiva, Scarpa, Zamberlan) boot over any of the so called "hunting" boots (Mendl, Danner, Irish Setter) any day. Currently I have a pair of Kenetrek Mountain Guides and La Sportiva Nepal EVO that are my go to boots and love them. I found that I could not even get a full year out of the Mendls, Danners or Irish setters before they started falling apart....

mGudmund
04-14-2015, 10:24 AM
If you're carrying an overnight or multi-day pack you want the ankle support and sole stiffness of a backpacking boot. My recommendations would be make sure you get a boot with waterproof breathable membrane, make sure it is designed for carrying loads (if that's something you'll be doing) and make sure it fits you well. If you're experiencing any heel lift or blistering with your current boots I'd look at getting new ones; If you're planning to hike a lot, quality, proper fitting boots are a must. I would say equally important to your optics and rifle if you're hunting in the mountains. That being said if your current boots fit well and don't cause soreness then you don't need new ones.

I got a pair of mammut brecon gtx at MEC about a year ago and couldn't be happier. Four of my best friends were them too. What I like: These were my first pair of gortex lined boots and I will never go back. Waking up to dry boots despite slogging through mud or snow or walking in creeks makes multi day trips wayyy more enjoyable. They have good ankle support and a stiff sole which makes carrying a heavy load much easier. They grip well on wet surfaces including wood and rock. As someone else mentioned earlier MEC may not always have the cheapest price, however I found they are generally fairly competitive. The thing that sets them apart for me is their staff and their "rocksolid guarantee"

HarryToolips
04-14-2015, 11:47 AM
How would you know this unless you have worn and worn out all of the boots previously mentioned?

I have some boots, over 30 yrs. old, resoled twice and worn constantly for 2-3 years in forestry field work and mountaineering. I usually can get 2-3 resolings from a good pair of Euro. boots, even with the 1.25" orthopaedic lift on my right one and I have never seen an "army boot" that was not just mediocre crap....but, I may be wrong as I do not wear such boots.

BTW, to have the actual experience to substantiate your claim, you need to be over 60, I am 68 and spent decades working in wild places on foot; how old are you?

You obviously take very good care of your equipment;) Im only 32, and have seen other boots where the stitching etc was falling apart, when only a fraction of the age of an army boot...I have never had to resol mine...when in the military, you are issued boots that are 'used', thats why when you go to an army surplus, on army boots you will see written on the inside some soldier's name, along with the last 3 digits of their military service number..these boots are made to last through beatings from many soldiers, and then are given to army surplus once the military has come along with a new line of boot... they are also very comfy..

ajr5406
04-16-2015, 06:51 AM
They are a great boot, you will love them. I bought mine at MEC last year, drove back to 100 Mile, and saw them on sale in Work & Play for $175.......ticked me off,,,that MEC store is a joke. Ive bought 2 pairs of boots from them now, and wont again, as both pairs were found substantially cheaper elsewhere

MEC has an amazing return policy - I bet if you take them back with proof of cheaper prices, they will give you cash back. I bought a MEC insulated coat a few years ago and wore it all the time. I started to get some feathers poking out in different spots (I DID wear it all the time, so no wonder). I asked them how I should look after it, and the offered to give me a brand new one, without question or receipt! Hard to beat that in my view...

MRP
04-16-2015, 10:56 AM
Good old Marks Wearhouse. I've had a 10" tall pair Dakota hyper-drys for 6 years or more, still going. And Windriver 6" hyper-drys 3 years ago. When you can put boots on that feel like old slippers, go for 12k hike even though ya haven't gone for a real walk in mouths ( like I did yesterday ) and feel like you can walk for days more. That's good boots. Fancy brands and high price don't mean nothin.

The Hermit
04-17-2015, 09:23 AM
Have been wearing Asolo GTX for a long time. Just bought a pair of Scarpas and like them so far but with just a couple short jaunts about John Dean Park. Hoping to get out bear hunting this weekend so will report back later.

BgBlkDg
04-17-2015, 09:35 AM
Right now, the Italian boots being inported seem to be the best of the bunch as the German-Austrian boots have really declined in quality and the once excellent Swiss Raichles are long gone.

I have two pairs of Scarpas and one of **stitch down** Zamberlans and am VERY impressed by all of these. I require a heavier boot than most and find the traditional construction methods make superior boots which last longer.

My Meindls, the good, old German ones, would last 2 resoles and that was wearing them every day while fighting wildfire, doing silvicultural work and even using my **misery slippers** and **skinny skis**.

Most of the crap now sold as **hiking boots** is made in China and lasts a few weeks or maybe months and is not worth buying; I had a pair of Sportiva hikers disintegrate on me after one pack trip in the Chilcotin and I DO look after my gear, I used it to make my living.

Look for Zamberlan **stitch down** models south of the border, very nice boots and mine are three years old, worn daily and on the second soles,with little apparent wear to the vamps or liners.

ajr5406
08-28-2016, 09:58 AM
Right now, the Italian boots being inported seem to be the best of the bunch as the German-Austrian boots have really declined in quality and the once excellent Swiss Raichles are long gone.

I have two pairs of Scarpas and one of **stitch down** Zamberlans and am VERY impressed by all of these. I require a heavier boot than most and find the traditional construction methods make superior boots which last longer.

My Meindls, the good, old German ones, would last 2 resoles and that was wearing them every day while fighting wildfire, doing silvicultural work and even using my **misery slippers** and **skinny skis**.

Most of the crap now sold as **hiking boots** is made in China and lasts a few weeks or maybe months and is not worth buying; I had a pair of Sportiva hikers disintegrate on me after one pack trip in the Chilcotin and I DO look after my gear, I used it to make my living.

Look for Zamberlan **stitch down** models south of the border, very nice boots and mine are three years old, worn daily and on the second soles,with little apparent wear to the vamps or liners.

If you were going to buy ONE pair of good quality boots to cover most of the season for most of BC (except the north), including some out of season hiking, would you get insulated or uninsulated?

takla1
08-28-2016, 10:08 AM
I call bull S on Danners not lasting a yr.Ive been buying danners since the early 90's and I'm only on my 3rd pair.I not only use them for hunting either,they double as mt winter street footware and in the spring and summer they are used exclusively while rideing the Harley.I found if the vibram souls wear I take them into the cobbler and he re and re's a new sole for around 60.00 and there good to go for few more yrs.Never had a stitching problem with them and their water proof
best 300.00 purchase you can make in my mind

takla

takla

BgBlkDg
08-28-2016, 10:12 AM
I would never (again) buy insulated boots for any MOUNTAIN uses, as it is more difficult to get the precise fit I need and they often retain excessive moisture in the lining-insulation.

What I use is the best leather lined mountain boots I can find that fit me correctly and I regularly treat them with Obenaufs.

For cold weather, I have Schnees paks with spare liners, but, would go with Hoffmans now.

I do use the best gaiters I can find, currently MEC Kokanees, Kenetreks and OL shorties.

GoatGuy
08-28-2016, 10:13 AM
I call bull S on Danners not lasting a yr.Ive been buying danners since the early 90's and I'm only on my 3rd pair.I not only use them for hunting either,they double as mt winter street footware and in the spring and summer they are used exclusively while rideing the Harley.I found if the vibram souls wear I take them into the cobbler and he re and re's a new sole for around 60.00 and there good to go for few more yrs.Never had a stitching problem with them and their water proof
best 300.00 purchase you can make in my mind

takla

takla

Lol, wearing out a pair of danner's in one season is very doable. Put them in the same category as irish setters (had them fail at 3 weeks, danner's took a bit longer).

Scarpa still fav if you want something that can handle mountains and that will last a year or more.

BgBlkDg
08-28-2016, 10:16 AM
Scarpas are among the BEST boots I have ever worn and the pair now on my feet are going for their third soles after this season.

Italians, KNOW how to make boots.

Pemby_mess
08-28-2016, 08:57 PM
I've worn Scarpa, La Sportiva, Asolo (for one week, that brand used to suck durability wise, better now), merrell, Salewa, Salomon and Lowa. My personal preference would be the La sportiva line of light, leather Mtn boots for a mixture of durability, versatility, and comfort. Scarpa fits the same bill for those with wider or higher volume feet. My most comfortable pair of true mtn boots would be my Salewa MTN Trainers - nice lightweight full function Mtn boot. Merells fit anyone comfortably right out of the box, and are fairly inexpensive; if your just looking for a light hiker keep those in mind.

One thing that wasn't mentioned is; regardless of brand you choose, I would recommend you avoid "full shank" mountaineering boots. The sole is just too stiff for putting lots miles on. They're generally built as a specialized tool intended for spending lots of time in rigid crampons on steep or vertical ice. They provide advantages in off trail mtn terrain but at the penalty of painful days if you have to make mileage on a trail or lower angle terrain. The La sportiva Glacier and Glacier Evos are an example of a 3/4 shank and probably the most used mtn. firefighting boot - they're a good versatile choice.

If you're just going into the mtns for a weekend or two you can certainly get away with a trail runner type deal no problem, but if you have a solid season planned, get a quality pair of Italian mountain boots. In addition to the rock solid guarantee, you'll find people that invaiably know and care about what theyre doing at MEC - If I had to bet on someone finding me the right fit in a boot off the bat, thats the only place I would do it. Not that other retailers don't have qualified staff, its just really hit or miss in my experience. Its never a bad idea to ask how long they've been fitting boots for. Good luck!

Pemby_mess
08-28-2016, 09:10 PM

I'm under the impression that Raichle licensed their most popular boot design to MEC actually and are now made in Romania. My sister bought a pair for 100 bucks or something at MEC - she doesn't wear them any more, not sure why. All good advice here. You certainly seem to know your boots! lol

Dog_River
09-06-2016, 07:10 AM
This has been a great thread on boots and I have read a ton of them. Is there a good store that KNOWS how to fit boots properly in Kamloops or Prince George ??

Thanks for all your input !

Dog_River

Langleybushcrafter
09-08-2016, 05:12 PM
I wore my desert boots until they fell apart been meaning to pick up another pair best boots ever. I currently wear my wet weather boots kindly provided by the Canadian taxpayer. No need in my opinion for fancy high tech foot wear the boots our soldiers use to kick ass are more than sufficient.