PDA

View Full Version : elk call help

luger
04-12-2015, 07:37 PM
Hey I'm going on my first elk trip this year (6point only) and I want to start practicing my elk calls. I have looked into it and I think I want a cow call and a small bull call.
I hear the hoochi mamma is fantastic. Any advice or help? Dummy proof calls are preferred. Also if any one has a dummy proof doe or doe in heat calls suggestions?

Ferenc
04-12-2015, 07:59 PM
For bull elk the power bugle by Elk Inc. is a easy one to master... Works on all size bull elk..also called some cow elk in with it.... Get it now and start practising !

ruger#1
04-12-2015, 08:12 PM
Hoochie Mama And a primos bull bugle. Quaker boy makes a very nice cow call. I have all three.

.300WSMImpact!
04-12-2015, 08:25 PM
I find the less you have to call the better, call very little to none at all

Springer
04-13-2015, 03:34 AM
Three things to make you more successful..
1- Cow Elk call , mouth reeds are best but other good user friendly calls out there as well
2- Montana Decoys , their like magnets to the rutting Bull and gives him something to investigate and keep his eyes off you.
3- Scent control spray .

and of course your Rifle or Bow...have fun

hunter1947
04-13-2015, 04:51 AM
For bull elk the power bugle by Elk Inc. is a easy one to master... Works on all size bull elk..also called some cow elk in with it.... Get it now and start practising !

X2 this is what I would get for my first elk bugle also get the hoochi for cow calls get some cow cover scent as well,,good luck this fall.

BULLNUTTS
04-13-2015, 05:47 AM
With your calling abilities "up to snuff" some litlebigthings for your conciderations.1st-STUDY elk and thier behaviour;how they move,feed,and generaly carry themselves.2nd-Choose your calling very carefully!!They don't get big being stupid[as they say] and elk are no dummies.BIG HINT HERE-Sitting on a stump and calling and calling like a lost calf all day may earn you a rare "******"[very rare] bull, but more often will simply alert every bull in sound range that there is an idiot hunter.Try to get close or slightly "into" the herd before even making a sound- Then let er rip!From there try to imitate and challenge the bull,noting that you can start your replies just before he even ends his call.Its a situation every serious elk hunter dreams of and never forgets!It is then that you will be truely schooled as to the very manny sounds a rutting bull elk can make.3-Move around when calling,dont just stand or sit there there- unless your very close and get him coming in,then of course set up quikly and hide if you can while still allowing for clean shooting.Live bulls dont stay in one spot, they move about.Just like a moose can tell down to the sq yrd where your standing when you call-so can a bull elk too.If you just keep calling from that same spot.......its pretty simple to figuer out for them isnt it.4-Learn to work more than one call at once;mostly the cow calls. But again choose your calling very carefully.Often in morning one simple locator call in the prelight is all thats needed before entering a area to locate your herd-silence till then located physically.5-Sometimes you dont need to use the bull call to locate and get resonces and bull interests.Its amasing just how far a bull can hear a cow call from a hoochie!Especially if given in right locations.6-Watch your wind!!!If I did'nt say that loud enough?
There is manny technics and the very manny varried ways also very effective too in addition to these simple but effective methods but for getting schooled in elk nothing beats the elk themselves and time served. Good Luck An Good Huntin BULLNUTTS

luger
04-13-2015, 06:51 AM
Sounds great. I have heard less is better. Maybe one call every 20-30 min

bearheart
04-13-2015, 07:17 AM
If I get a reply, I move about 20 yds, read a chapter in my pocket book and call again, then move, read, call. It works for me and my calling sounds are not great, not even good. last elk came in to 35yds using that technique. Overcalling is not good.