PDA

View Full Version : Black Bear the Hard Way

Dre
04-11-2015, 06:39 PM
We planned to not waste the April long weekend and make an honest attempt to take the boat and explore some new area, all the while hunting for black bear. The weather forecast didn't look good, but we decided rain or shine Sat morning we leave to be back Monday. My buddy has been out with me several times and although successful trips, he had still not taken his first big game animal. If we got an opportunity, it would be his.

Rain it was. We got pounded at 45kph for the better part of an hour, until we reached our destination. Tied up the boat, slung the packs and up the trail we went. The rain did not let up for another 2 hours and as our packs now weighed a good deal more than when we left the boat, we were getting anxious to make camp. Easier said than done, the terrain was too rocky, uneven and steep to sleep on so on we went. Finally after 9 kms of liquid sunshine, we found a great spot to make camp. Miraculously, the rain let up and the sunshine warmed us as we set up the camp.

Much cheered up, we made quick work of camp set-up. On an equipment note, I took my BK 7 camp knife instead of my usual Kukri machete and was quite impressed with how well it worked. I would say it is a little more versatile than the machete as I can split up to 5" logs by battoning, which does not work with a machete as the blade is too thin and doesn't have a wedge action to split. Weight is almost the same, the BK 7 being a touch lighter. So much for my knife review, there was plenty of daylight left so we hit the road and went hunting.

We spent that day and the whole next day hunting hard, covering a lot of ground and wearing out the soles of our boots. We walked over 40 kms in those 2 days and the only sign of a bear was 2 faded tracks down low near the river. It was enough, that and the fact that everything was green and budding, they had to be out and about, this is Reg 2 we're talking. On the last morning, we lingered in camp a little longer and had a big breakfast before heading down with the packs.

I got up and headed to the creek 60 yds away to wash my dishes. I took 3 steps and spotted a cinnamon coloured black bear edge out of the timber right at our water hole. I crept back and told my buddy to grab his gun. He was fast, faster than I could get mine, just in case, you know. Too excited, he came out in the open a little too fast and the bear took one look at him and trotted off into the woods, no shot. We tried to spot him in the trees and I went in with the dog to see if I could get it moving, but no luck. Oh well, that's the way it goes. We packed up camp and headed down.

We checked out all the usual spots on the way down, but nothing. I even stopped telling the dog to stay behind, we were in going home mode. Sure enough, things happen when least expected and as we were approaching a turn I saw a black bear coming straight at us through the bush. Blue was on a collision course with it and I was helpless, to shout a command would spook the bear, to do nothing, well I don't know. I told my buddy to get his gun ready, but things happened fast. The bear was the first to notice Blue and it immediately turned, the movement caused Blue to notice and he took off after it, barking. My buddy ran after him and I was last, thinking that there was no chance after all that. Well, he told me that he saw it go up the steep bank, but it was very steep and we could not follow, looked big though. We looked for a bit, but nothing. Well that's our luck then, back on track to the boat.

After about 300 yds, I felt like I was being watched. I looked up the same side that the bear had gone up, but nothing. I took 2 or 3 stepps back and there it was looking straight down at us. Small ears, far apart, thick muzzle, definitely a nice boar. I called my buddy back and showed him the bear. We could see his whole upper body except the paws facing straight at us and not moving, a disapproving look on his face. He was between 2 big cedars with no obstructions in front, about 40yds. Without wasting any time, I said "Right in the centre of his chest". There was a 2 second delay and 'BANG" barked the 30-06. The 165 gr E-Tip folded him in half and he started doing cart wheels down the bank towards us. I shouted 'Get Back' to dog and man as I took a couple of steps back chambering a round of my own. He came to a stop about 8 feet from the ground wedged on a log. He was done, but still struggling a little, so I told my buddy to put another round right between the shoulders. It was all over, the bear came loose from the log and rolled right to our feet.

A beauty of a bear, 350 lbs and around 6 ft, big head, big paws, great first trophy. The work now began. Still 3kms from the boat, we had to move fast if we wanted to make it back to the launch before dark, it was 12:30pm. We hustled to the boat and emptied the packs, then back to the bear. Snapped a few picks and we started to cape and cut him up. 2 hours later we barely lifted the packs, each between 90-100lbs and headed back to the boat for the last time.

All in all we walked around 60kms in 3 days, much of it with weight. We saw lots of game, and had a very rewarding hunt. We cut it a little late, but it all worked out. Not your typical Spring bear hunt, more like a mountain muley or sheep hunt. We did not see a single other person the entire time.

http://i60.tinypic.com/2wq4h3t.jpg
http://i60.tinypic.com/mrfd4l.jpg
http://i59.tinypic.com/20jl8rb.jpg
http://i57.tinypic.com/2l96v4z.jpg
http://i61.tinypic.com/f06gqg.jpg

leadpillproductions
04-11-2015, 06:43 PM
Nice bear looks like the first one down this yr good job

The_Bear_Man
04-11-2015, 06:49 PM
Great looking bear! Sounds like a fun trip. Congrats.

Dre
04-11-2015, 06:59 PM
Thanks. This bear had more fat on him than any other spring bear I've seen. 1.5" thick along the whole back, 1/2" around the hams. Either he's been up for a while or was super fat last fall.

Timbow
04-11-2015, 06:59 PM
Nice! Thanks for the story. Good looking bear.

gmachine19
04-11-2015, 07:04 PM
Nice one! Was out looking for one too but all we saw were a few black tails.

Alfonz
04-11-2015, 07:11 PM
Thank you for the story! Well done!

ian745
04-11-2015, 07:29 PM
no weekend spent in the bush away from everyone and everything is ever a bad thing!!!, i`m jealous! awesome store and congrats on the bear!!

Everett
04-11-2015, 07:32 PM
Nice Bear glad to see the first one hit the ground

itsy bitsy xj
04-11-2015, 08:01 PM
Great story...thats a nice looking bear

Rob Chipman
04-11-2015, 08:17 PM
Nice work, good story! We're out next weekend. Hope we do as well.

Stone Sheep Steve
04-11-2015, 09:36 PM
Cool adventure and nice bear for your bud!
Grest way to wake up the body after a long winter!

congrats!!

604ksmith
04-11-2015, 09:46 PM
Great story, thanks for sharing!

HarryToolips
04-11-2015, 09:47 PM
Wicked congrats!

caddisguy
04-11-2015, 09:51 PM
Wow! Great story and great looking bear. Congrats to you and your buddy!!

landphil
04-11-2015, 10:39 PM
Good stuff, congrats! Great bear, good story, and the photos, well, lets just say they made me want to be there, even in the rain.

tuner
04-11-2015, 10:54 PM
Exciting adventure,good story.

Dre
04-11-2015, 10:54 PM
It was great to be out exploring, get the feet moving, use the gear. The bear was a bonus and the hunter was very happy.

Wild one
04-12-2015, 06:27 AM
Congrats on the early bear

ursusbait
04-12-2015, 07:17 AM
Great story. Thanks for sharing. Congratulations to your pal.

TThomsen
04-12-2015, 07:26 AM
Great story and nice bear! Little off topic but what tents did you have set up there?

pin_head
04-12-2015, 08:06 AM
Sounds like a cool hunt, thanks for the story. For a minute there I thought it was gonna be another tale of Blue fighting a bear.

Congrats to you and your partner on a tremendous start to 2015

Cheers,
Brad

ajeatoo
04-12-2015, 08:25 AM
What area of region 2 were you in that you went to by boat? Nice bear!

swampthing
04-12-2015, 08:38 AM
looks like a great weekend adventure. Good stuff.

The Hermit
04-12-2015, 08:49 AM
Alright nicely done on the hunt and story! A little motivation for the rest of us! Cheers

Dre
04-12-2015, 10:48 AM
Haha, Blue didn't have to fight, the shooting was solid and we had him covered.

Sounds like a cool hunt, thanks for the story. For a minute there I thought it was gonna be another tale of Blue fighting a bear.

Congrats to you and your partner on a tremendous start to 2015

Cheers,
Brad

jtred
04-12-2015, 10:56 AM
Great way to get a bear, makes it an adventure. I plan on a couple of weekend backpack hunts into a road closure I hunted a bunch last year. We won't be needing a boat though. Pretty cool trip you guys did.

Hammerhead
04-12-2015, 11:20 AM
Sounds like a good wknd. Congrats on the bear and thanks for the story
HH

beeker
04-12-2015, 12:13 PM
Thanks for sharing the story. What kind of dog is that?

Dre
04-12-2015, 12:17 PM
He is a Bouvier De Flanders

grizzly550
04-12-2015, 12:20 PM
Sounds like a rewarding hunt...way to go!

rifleman
04-12-2015, 04:17 PM
that's a great first bear... congrats, thanx for sharin..

Dre
04-12-2015, 06:24 PM
Those are a MSR Hubba on the left and BA Copper Spur on right, both 2 man

Great story and nice bear! Little off topic but what tents did you have set up there?