PDA

View Full Version : Spotting for Sheep from Below and look up or Up high and look down. You Pick

cas-has-cars
04-10-2015, 11:50 PM
Hey Guys
I am going on a sheep hunt for the first time and need all the advise I can muster up form the experience of the HBC Gang.
What is your favorite position for spotting from and why.
Which side of the slopes are more active during the morning, afternoon and evenings. Sunny side or shaded.
Do you spend more time looking at the tree line, meadows, or the rocky slopes.
In general I am looking for some tips on where to focus my time in the mountains and get some ideas on how to increase my odds for success.

Thanks guys any of your favorite tactics can be shared here without talking about specific locations.

cas-has-cars

Andrewh
04-11-2015, 09:46 AM
Get up high and glass down - only option!!!!!

- you will see SO many more blind hanging ledges etc from above
- find sheep trails and follow them with your glass. Sheep travel on trails over rock, follow the trails enough and you will find the sheep that made them.
- all of their predators come from below
- wind goes up as rocks heat up

I am by no means an expert but this is what I have learned from my hunting, not just the internet...

BromBones
04-11-2015, 09:57 AM
Completely depends on the terrain and what you're seeing from the get go. Some guys like to get in one good vantage point and sit on it waiting for the critters to show up. I find I see more sheep by moving through different vantage points and spending some time glassing at each. Also depends on how well you know the area. New areas mean more time exploring and getting a feel for how you need to hunt/glass.

Open, smooth slopes in wide valleys make it easier to spot critters from low elevation. Mountains with broken terrain, pockets, and small bowls up high, you're gonna have to be in a high spot to glass into them. Same goes for if you think they're hanging around the timberline, higher glassing point is usually better I think.

rifleman
04-11-2015, 09:58 AM
get up high and look down. like andrewh said find their trails, those trails lead to their food source & bedding areas. they will be feeding early in the morning then head to the high areas to lay down and chew their cud and watch over their domain. look for a food source close to water...
glass, glass, glass, glass, glass and glass some more....good luck

bighornbob
04-11-2015, 10:29 AM
All depends on the terrain. Timber and broken cliffs are best glassed from across the valley. Open areas with little brush can be glassed from the top

BHB

Wild Images
04-11-2015, 12:49 PM
Watch everything all the time, there are no better or best. Rams will show at times and in
Places that you least expect, never let your guard down and blow through an area because
You don't think there will be a ram there.

ryanb
04-11-2015, 01:16 PM
As said above sheep will be seen anywhere at times in sheep country. Glass everything... Don't pass over any spot. You will of course see everything better from a high vantage point but don't forget you need to get there first... This takes time so glass before you climb to save time from going on the wrong direction if sheep are seen from the bottom.

whitetailsheds
04-11-2015, 02:47 PM
I have taken a couple Stones from being glassed from below, stalked from below, and taken from below. After years of chasing them unsuccessfully I found there are 3 key elements to taking your first ram.....get good glass. I attribute my Swaro binos to helping. Second, rams are where you find them!! They can be anywhere. And lastly, slow down and glass some more!! I am a walker.....I'd glass for 10 minutes. Nothing there.....start walking! Slow down...wait another 20 minutes....glass some more!! You're not glassing enough if your eyes aren't hurting!!

cas-has-cars
04-11-2015, 02:53 PM
Hey Guys
There is some Great Advise Coming here, Its good to draw from experience. If anyone wants to add more along the lines of base camp and how close to set up. At what distance do the sheep start to think your a threat. Do the sheep stay in place overnight for early morning stalks if spotted late the day before. And maybe some of your thoughts on how many days you should set aside for a decent trip out for sheep I am setting aside 7 days but I am thinking I should be adding a few more days here to be safe.
What are your success rates when you did all your homework. I would think even the most experience guys would only be 25% of their trips would be meat in the freezer and mount on the wall.
Thanks again to all contributors
This can only increase my chances greatly
cas-has-cars

dbergen69
04-11-2015, 06:52 PM
I have always thought that sheep would bed in the same spot day after day so if you saw them late one day they should be bedded in the same spot to plan a stalk the next day. Last year I watched a band of rams bedded in the afternoon for about an hour at a distance of around 2 km. I did not think I had time to make a move so a planned to be in position the next day to ambush them. Early in the morning I snuck into to where I was in shooting range and waited.....and waited some more...then I waited some more...saw a grizzly and waited for the sheep....saw a couple of caribou and waited for the sheep finally at about 4:00 I had enough of waiting and left. I never did see those sheep again. The next day it snowed and it was foggy for the rest of the trip so I never got a chance to check that spot again. I am not sure what happened to the sheep. Maybe they winded me or saw me but I don't think so.

BCbillies
04-12-2015, 09:58 AM
I would go longer than 7 days. With weather and exploring new country you likely won't find any sheep till day seven. I started out doing week long trips and eventually heeded the advice of others and planned 12, 14, and 16 day hunts. On a short duration trip you will likely be tempted to take the first squeaker ram . . . not so much if you have two weeks.

Don't assume the Rams will be in the same spot as a previous year or the previous night. If you can get within shooting range before dark do your best to make it happen and cut the tag. Be prepared to spend a night or two away from camp with minimal gear.

I'd suggest reading the classic book "Sheep and Sheep Hunting" as it will only help to fuel the fire!

Ltbullken
04-12-2015, 05:34 PM
Spot from valley to determine if mountain is worth energy and time to climb. Then get in position to better judge either across or from above. We watched guys go up a mountain, walk all over the ridge and bump sheep all day. Their opening day was a bust. It looked they just went up without knowing what was there. We saw an awesome ram on that same mountain but it was in a spot they couldn't have seen it. If they'd taken time to glass it and develop a plan, it might've been a better outcome.

Sofa King
04-12-2015, 07:25 PM
I'm no sheep hunter, but all this other advice sounds pretty spot-on.
i did alright finding some today though.
https://scontent-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xta1/t31.0-8/11116482_767042973415951_2396837156250129584_o.jpg

as good as the fella in the sun is, look at the right horn on the guy at the top left.
it sweeps out pretty cool it seems.

rifleman
04-12-2015, 09:05 PM
yes it does sweep out pretty cool, beautiful ram, not enough mass to be wortyh yet... another textbook picture...awesome

HarryToolips
04-12-2015, 09:10 PM
Sofaking is that the Westside road herd? Lol I swear that spot looks familiar And I've seen Rams there before..

Sofa King
04-13-2015, 10:25 AM
yup it is, hairy.
do you have any good pics of them?
id love to see that ones horn better.

i like ltbullkens post.
do the spotting from below and pick the animal to then committ a climb to.
but, some might really like hiking and just want to get up there anyway i guess.