PDA

View Full Version : Yankee to Canuck Conversion

nuthouse22
04-09-2015, 06:03 PM
Hello Gents/Ladies!

I logged on to the forum this evening to announce my plans to move to the most beautiful place on earth (that's BC if you hadn't heard ;))! My reason(s) for leaving the Midwest USA being a 5' beauty from the Okanagan who I've been lucky enough to call my wife for the last 5.5 years. I have always been interested in hunting big game but have never had anyone to teach me anything. I've been reading as much as I can to try and figure out the techniques for hunting and scouting ever since my wife and I discussed moving up there.

I joined the forum with education in mind and figured that the crowd here would be an invaluable resource for someone like me.

However, I just found this thread: http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?116726-Typical-Yankee-arrogance!

I must say, I was a bit surprised. I've always considered Canadians to be friendly neighbors. I've made countless trips to the Okanagan and to the island and have never had a negative interaction at all.

I am still excited at the prospect of becoming a permanent resident and resident hunter. I just hope that I don't get "painted with the same brush" BgBlkDg has been sporting.

For the record I have been varmint hunting many times and have deer hunted unsuccessfully in the past. My interests are in both gun and bowhunting.

Anyway, hello all!

Fella
04-09-2015, 06:08 PM
Bgblkdog doesn't speak for all canadians. Having said that it would serve you well to get up to speed on the issues facing outdoorsmen/women in BC. It would give you an understanding on why some people are hostile. Anyways, good luck on your journey, the Okanagan is a nice place.

Whonnock Boy
04-09-2015, 06:13 PM
Welcome to the site sloth. You have joined us at a very trying time for resident hunters of BC, and as such, emotions are high and tempers short. Try not to take it to heart. ;)

Rackmastr
04-09-2015, 06:14 PM
Good luck with the move!! Okanagan is a hell of a nice area if that's where you plan on ending up.

The opportunities are endless up here and there is more hunting and fishing than a guy knows what to do with.

Few variables with work permits, visitor records while applying for CPR, sponsorship, all that fun stuff....but there is a ton of good info here and some great resources across the province!

Salty
04-09-2015, 06:15 PM
Don't judge by one guys riled up comment on the internet go with what you have learned. Welcome to BC :)

monasheemountainman
04-09-2015, 06:17 PM
I'll take you out and show you some spots when you get up here. Just shoot me a pm when you get here

scoutlt1
04-09-2015, 06:20 PM
Welcome. You sound like a good guy.

Just change that avatar. Damn....you'll give me nightmares!!! ;)

nuthouse22
04-09-2015, 07:01 PM
Thanks for the welcome!

Very kind of you to offer monasheemountainman. I will likely take you up on your offer.

The move will likely be sometime in early to mid June as I will be graduating from nursing school in mid May.

ACE
04-09-2015, 07:01 PM
I must say, I was a bit surprised. I've always considered Canadians to be friendly neighbors. I've made countless trips to the Okanagan and to the Island and have never had a negative interaction at all.

I am still excited at the prospect of becoming a permanent resident and resident hunter. I just hope that I don't get "painted with the same brush" .........

Welcome ......
You'll find this a friendly Province, and a welcoming country.
Learn the issues ...... and learn to hunt!
The 'painter' doesn't speak for me ....
:cool:

ruger#1
04-09-2015, 07:22 PM
Thanks for the welcome!

Very kind of you to offer monasheemountainman. I will likely take you up on your offer.

The move will likely be sometime in early to mid June as I will be graduating from nursing school in mid May.

You will fit in fine. Your's and Mike's avatars are creepy. Your moving to a good place for hunting.

300H&H
04-09-2015, 07:27 PM
Your welcome to tag along with me sometime.

PS...the new guy always buys Timmys in the morning ;)

dino
04-09-2015, 07:34 PM
Welcome nuthouse, for the record I had a word permit down there once and I actually found you Americans way nicer and more hospitable. Still do and like how you guys do business.
This site has a bunch of helpful guys that will help you out. Good luck in the okanogan

GoatGuy
04-09-2015, 07:40 PM
Once you figure out where you move to put a post on, I'm sure somebody in the Okanagan will help you get started.

Brez
04-09-2015, 08:02 PM
Welcome to B.C. There has been a lot of negative talk towards non-B.C.ers lately but pay them no mind. There's an emotional issue or two and people get fired up. Hopefully you will find someone to point you in the right direction when you move here. The Okanagan is a beautiful place and I wish you well there.

Whonnock Boy
04-09-2015, 08:04 PM
I hope nuthouse realizes that he is only entitled to 15-40% of his woman. The local boys get the rest. :lol:

nuthouse22
04-09-2015, 08:08 PM
Wow. Im not even sure how to reply to that other than to say that no further identifying information will be posted in this thread ;-)

tangozulu
04-09-2015, 08:23 PM
Welcome to the Greatest Place on Earth if you enjoy hunting and fishing.

Drillbit
04-09-2015, 08:27 PM
Welcome to the Greatest Place on Earth if you enjoy hunting and fishing.

I don't think he's talking about Saskatchewan, he's talking about the Okanagan, in BC.

goatdancer
04-09-2015, 09:13 PM
You're gonna hate the Okanagan. It's hotter than hell in the summertime and we are plagued with Albertans. Good luck on your move here. Hope you enjoy it. Lots to see and do.

Sofa King
04-09-2015, 09:20 PM
Kelowna's a lot cooler than Kamloops in the dead of summer.
plus, there's the lake right there to jump in.
but the "red plague", yeah, that sucks.

nuthouse, you'll love it.
but don't think that all of Canadians are like the people in Kelowna either.
don't get me wrong, there's tons of great people there, but the town as a whole has always been kinda cliquey.
you'll meet your like-minded people and won't even notice the rest.
get prepared for the Okanagan traffic woes though.
and there's tons of great hunting for almost everything right in Kelowna's backyard.

adriaticum
04-09-2015, 09:28 PM
I'm waiting for BgBlkDg to chime in lol.

chilcotin hillbilly
04-09-2015, 09:58 PM
Steve, is that you!!!!
Sounds like a hunter I had with a few questions about moving and had a wife from Kelowna.

andrewscag
04-09-2015, 10:09 PM
I'm a southern transplant too and I've never had an issue. I wouldn't worry about some internet barking. Its the internet. Someones always pissed about something. Be respectful of the land, the laws, and the people and you'll be fine.

f350ps
04-09-2015, 10:20 PM
I think before this goes any further we need a picture of your wife, how else are we gonna know she's Canadian?:) K

gutpile
04-09-2015, 10:49 PM
well you won't be panted with the same brush if you show us your 5foot beauty, I promise ! :lol:

Vladimir Poutine
04-10-2015, 07:33 AM
Welcome to the Country that has never lost a fighting war with the US.:twisted: Just remember, it's water not wadduh, you finish most sentences with eh, we don't have socialized health care, and most importantly it's all about the experience, not "gittin yer limit." We look forward to a new Canuck.

BgBlkDg
04-10-2015, 07:41 AM
I'm waiting for BgBlkDg to chime in lol.

Now, now, be a good boy, eh! ;)

Seriously, WHY would I get involved here with a Canadian lady's choice in marriage....besides, we NEED more RNs!

He, could bring up a bunch of Dressel triggers, Lapour safeties, Bartlein sporter STS barrels and Micky and Brown and Manners stocks tho'......

OKsean
04-10-2015, 07:49 AM
Welcome to Canada, and to the Okanagan, my personal stompin' grounds. Beautiful area and lots of work in the health care sector. You'll find that not everyone is as closed minded as the attitudes represented in the incendiary post you referred to earlier; such attitudes are, thankfully, a small minority here.

barry1974w
04-10-2015, 09:59 AM
Welcome to B.C. You shouldn't have a problem finding work up here once you finish nursing school. If they don't have any jobs in the okanagan, look farther north. Lots of nursing work up here, my wife gets a call to see if she wants OT almost every day she's off.

Grizzlydick
04-10-2015, 10:10 AM
like i say to my fishing buddy, "as long as you did not vote for Bush, WELCOME"

Wild one
04-10-2015, 10:18 AM
like i say to my fishing buddy, "as long as you did not vote for Bush, WELCOME"

And if you voted Obama don't even visit :)

I have met good and bad people from everywhere your actions is what is important where you were born means little

adriaticum
04-10-2015, 10:38 AM
I'm sure there is a conversion kit at Radio Shack.

Island Idiots
04-10-2015, 10:47 AM
Welcome my American Brother!
Canada Rocks!
Good luck on your adventure.
Just remember when you get that permanent resident card that it's not permanent, you have to renew every five years.:lol:

The Hermit
04-10-2015, 10:52 AM
Hey we're all cousins on this bus. Welcome.

BgBlkDg
04-10-2015, 01:10 PM
I'm sure there is a conversion kit at Radio Shack.

Gawd, I love a good sense of humour.....reminds me of a comment scrawled on the wall of the mens room in the old Hume Hotel beerparlour circa 1970, where many young Yanks, art students, NDU students and we civilized local kids hung out.

My mother made me a homosexual....a plaintive wail in those days as it was NOT cool to be gay...

Below, some wit had written....If I give her the wool, will she make me one.........

45 years later, I still chuckle a that trenchant observation on human affairs.

MB_Boy
04-10-2015, 01:38 PM
I must say, I was a bit surprised. I've always considered Canadians to be friendly neighbors. I've made countless trips to the Okanagan and to the island and have never had a negative interaction at all.

I am still excited at the prospect of becoming a permanent resident and resident hunter. I just hope that I don't get "painted with the same brush".

Don't worry.....we don't paint you all as a country of Limbaugh's or Beck's either! :wink: :mrgreen:

mike-juliet
04-10-2015, 06:29 PM
Welcome aboard nuthouse, I'm also a converted yank from Virginia that has called BC home since 2004.

andrewscag
04-10-2015, 09:57 PM
Virginia ain't Yankee ;-)

mike-juliet
04-10-2015, 11:47 PM
Virginia ain't Yankee ;-)

We sure aren't! However for the sake of the thread i kept it simple, using the term Confederate might have confused too many of you Canucks.

Foxton Gundogs
04-11-2015, 04:22 AM
Hey our beer is stronger, our football fields are longer and we have BIGGER BALLS :cool: What's not to love!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E064kb3UnU

dino
04-11-2015, 07:03 AM
We sure aren't! However for the sake of the thread i kept it simple, using the term Confederate might have confused too many of you Canucks.

i think you would be surprised at how many Canadians know more about American history than Americans. The outlaw Josey Wales taught me all about the confederates,lol.

andrewscag
04-11-2015, 01:34 PM
I learned all about Canadians from Strange Brew. It's why I came :-)

Foxtail
04-11-2015, 01:41 PM
What about Canadian Bacon... Everything you need to know about Canadians and Americans in that movie lol

ruger#1
04-11-2015, 01:47 PM
Steven Segal's America

https://youtu.be/mXx3_ykUpfY

nuthouse22
04-11-2015, 04:42 PM
I learned all about Canadians from Strange Brew. It's why I came :-)

This ^^^ x2

ruger#1
04-11-2015, 04:54 PM
Real Canadians live in the Sunnyvale trailer park.

andrewscag
04-11-2015, 06:52 PM
Brewmeister smith > Lahey