PDA

View Full Version : dragon lake

whiteraven
04-09-2015, 01:46 PM
Has anybody heard that the fisheries is going to posion dragon lake in Quenel

BigfishCanada
04-09-2015, 02:11 PM
Welll they have no choice, assholes droppin goldfish and whatever else, 3years it will be back all good

f350ps
04-09-2015, 02:18 PM
Has anybody heard that the fisheries is going to posion dragon lake in Quenel
I heard that it's loaded with koi fish but I never heard that they were going to poison it. What I don't understand is why poison it and lose all those monster Bows, why not just raise the limit and fish it out,then poison it? K

BigfishCanada
04-09-2015, 02:53 PM
They bleach the lake, then re stock then following winter year it will be good again. Fishing for goldfish will not kill, then risks other lakes and streams around for contamination

Timbow
04-09-2015, 02:58 PM
I heard that it's loaded with koi fish but I never heard that they were going to poison it. What I don't understand is why poison it and lose all those monster Bows, why not just raise the limit and fish it out,then poison it? K

Not sure about upping the limit as most fish are released because of poor table fare. It is nice to know that the local ospreys have been noticed of catching these fish as I would imagine they are easy to see from up above.

pretty sad that these evasive fish are protected from any type of fishing derby to help deal with them. The lake was poisoned once before and maybe it's time again.

Stone Sheep Steve
04-09-2015, 03:02 PM
They use rotenone. Costly but very effective.

http://stopstocking.cowyafs.org/outreach/BC%20Invasive%20Fish%20Steve%20Maricle.pdf

BigfishCanada
04-09-2015, 03:04 PM
They also need to educate the public with have zero tolerance with serious fines of illegal stocking, or uneducated people releasing pets. I mean SERIOUS fines

BCbuckhunter
04-09-2015, 03:11 PM
I have heard people say that they are going to kill it off, BUT it makes no sense to kill it off. Fisheries collects 1.5 million eggs a year to stock one third of the provinces lakes. Killing it off would have a big ripple effect. As of yet I have not seen a gold fish. I believe they school up near a spring creek in the south end but not 100%.

BigfishCanada
04-09-2015, 03:20 PM
Ive seen pics, and killing lakes is the right scientific way not my "want or personal need way" (The lake can be good again within 2 years, even a good fishery year 1)various pics are posted online of gold fish from Dragon, its now a problem

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/quesnel-dragon-lake-trout-endangered-by-koi-infestation-1.2945523

TPK
04-09-2015, 03:32 PM
No, they will not be using rotenone or any other poison at Dragon Lake. They have settled on netting the koi with the understanding it will be an ongoing treatment as they will never net them all, it will just keep them in check.

The Dawg
04-09-2015, 03:36 PM
There was one guy on the radio about a month ago saying it might be an idea to kill it off.

There's been nothing official

ACB
04-09-2015, 11:19 PM
What the real problem is we have a lot of IDIOT ice fishers that believe that using red sided shiners, goldfish, or what ever guppy type fish they can find to use for bait on fish that only eat invertebrates and insects and illegally transport them and release them into are lakes. Unless there are Blackwaters or Jerrards there isn't going to be anything other than a few loons or kingfishers to eat them. What has to happen is that someone has to stop these Idiots or maybe educate them, who knows. As it stands these idiots are costing alot of money and effort to try and correct their ignorance.

The Dawg
04-09-2015, 11:24 PM
What the real problem is we have a lot of IDIOT ice fishers that believe that using red sided shiners, goldfish, or what ever guppy type fish they can find to use for bait on fish that only eat invertebrates and insects and illegally transport them and release them into are lakes. Unless there are Blackwaters or Jerrards there isn't going to be anything other than a few loons or kingfishers to eat them. What has to happen is that someone has to stop these Idiots or maybe educate them, who knows. As it stands these idiots are costing alot of money and effort to try and correct their ignorance.

Exactly

Too many people release aquarium fish that have outgrown a tank into waterways as well.

I grew up across the street from Central Park in Burnaby, and it went from fishing catfish, to catching goldfish, turtles, and tons of other 'exotic' fish.

Hell, there was even a snakehead a couple years ago.

Sofa King
04-10-2015, 11:20 AM
the problem is that bc feels that every piece of water has to have rainbows in it.
and as soon as theres any other species around, poison is the answer.
i always find it funny how they say perch are an invasive species and need to be eradicated, yet they put a catch limit on them.

Stone Sheep Steve
04-10-2015, 11:28 AM
the problem is that bc feels that every piece of water has to have rainbows in it.
and as soon as theres any other species around, poison is the answer.
i always find it funny how they say perch are an invasive species and need to be eradicated, yet they put a catch limit on them.

That's been brought up before. There should be no catch limit on perch.

Drillbit
04-10-2015, 12:15 PM
Are the goldfish "schedule C" so to speak out of Dragon?

Are people that catch them letting them go?

Timbow
04-10-2015, 07:19 PM

Dragon Lake is stocked with the black water strain. Has been for a long time.

Stone Sheep Steve
04-10-2015, 08:42 PM

It turns outFraser valley strains like to eat perch. Even surprised the experts. Maybe they'll eat fat slow less prickley goldfish???

butcher
04-13-2015, 10:37 PM
They are not going to poison it. Period.

Jagermeister
04-14-2015, 01:05 AM
Originally, when Dragon was "purified" back in the '60s, Gerrard rainbow were stocked in the lake.
In the late '70s, the Quesnel Rod & Gun Club undertook a stream enhancement project and constructed gravel and wood spawning platforms on the Dragon Creek inflow. The little no name creek that flows in at the extreme southern extremity of the lake also had trout attempting to spawn in that waterway. In following years, fry traps were set on the two creeks and fry counts were conducted to determine spawning success. There was limited success due to the constant siltation of the beds. This siltation was the result of the cattle entering the creek upstream unabated and stirring up copious amounts of mud which carried downstream and settled once it became slower moving in the spawning beds. Eventually, there became far too many fish trying to spawn in the very limited creeks and fisheries decided to embark on capturing and "milking" the fish for hatchery rearing.
I don't remember exactly when, but sometime in the '90s, the Tzenzaicut (Fish) Lake strain was introduced. These smaller fish were more aerobatic and exciting with their tail walking antics. Much easier to haul in than the Gerrards which stayed sunk like a log and torpedoed around until they tired.
About 2002 I discovered some red sided shiners in the lake. I contacted the F&W branch in Williams Lake and they requested some specimens which were duly provided. The consensus was that the shiners most likely entered from the Quesnel River via a period of low/slack water flow in lower Dragon Creek. This occurrence most likely happened when the outlet gate on the lake was opened and forgotten on the spring freshet release.
The Blackwater strain are a predator fish, more like to eat other smaller fish and were likely introduced with this in mind.
Should the lake be poisoned? One has to consider the population density differentials of the unwanted to the wanted. If there is an abundance of unwanted, then perhaps poison the lake. The downside is that it is a brood lake and will be lost for several years before recovery. It will also affect the salamanders that frequent that waterway too and they seem to be on a decline in that waterway.

butcher
04-14-2015, 07:37 AM
The lake will not be poisoned. It would destroy the stocking program.