PDA

View Full Version : Bum ankle hunting help!

ajeatoo
04-07-2015, 11:02 PM
Hi,

Mods please move I this is not the correct forum.

I'm sure I'm not the first with this stupid annoying problem, I want to know what you all have found that works for a bad ankle while hiking? I was hit by a car travelling at 80kms/hr several years ago, broke a bunch of bones, tore a bunch of ligaments, several surgeries later and here I am. So my main issue is my ankle, I tore the ligament badly so I roll over very easily and will drop like a sack of potatoes. I have an axis brace since I have re-injured this many times over the years but I am still trying to find my sweet spot with regards to hunting/hiking. I think I need to get some boots that are tall and more stiff, plus a rigid brace?

Thinking to to go to physio to have them recommend a good brace for this if there is any such thing. Just wondered if any of you have found something that works well? This is my first year hunting, joining my husband. Have gone through all the courses and I'm ready to go... Ankle not so much. 😒

itsy bitsy xj
04-07-2015, 11:12 PM
I have a "AIR-CAST" brace for my ankle and with it I never roll my ankle now. I do find my ankle gets very sore from not being able to move so its kind of a waste.

Big Hoss
04-07-2015, 11:19 PM
Sprained my ankle severely a few winters ago and got a brace from a pharmacy. Can't remember the brand of it but it was hard plastic lined with air pillows that you adjusted the pressure with a straw and a band thAt went under your heal then you velcroed around your ankle. It was about a foot long so I found it gave good support to stop from rolling over the ankle

Tīɡ
04-07-2015, 11:19 PM
My thoughts....your one tough individual to do battle with a car at 80kph! Ok onto my possible fixes. Ever tried taping it? I used to do this when playing basketball and nursing a weak ankle, its amazing the support that just tape (when done right) can give you. You can find lots of how-to's online. Also an "Air-cast" brace might be worth a look, I had a buddy use one for his ankle and he loved it. As well I ALWAYS recommend high-top boots, I have hiked extensively before I started hunting and a high-top boot with good rigid support is definitely where it's at. That's my 2 cents, hope you find something that works for you!

adriaticum
04-07-2015, 11:22 PM
Good stiff pair of boots with good ankle support.
Even wading boots.

Ohwildwon
04-07-2015, 11:50 PM
Try on a pair of Scarpa or Zamberlane backpacking boots...
MEC has them:-)

ajeatoo
04-08-2015, 12:28 AM
Cool thanks for thr tips! I used to tape my ankle all the time for the first fee years after the accident, it is great when done right. Wonder if it would be good in addition to a brace? I haven't thought about taping, good idea Tig.

Thanks Tig! I did battle with a Volkswagen rabbit, took out the windshield, bent up the fender and hood so I feel I did damage back hahaha!! I did have an air cast, I'm sure it's around here somewhere lol. Next time I'm heading out I will maybe try taping with the air cast. The only thing I hated about the air cast is how bulky it is, however I'll take that over a messed up ankle in the boonies!!

Ohwildone I've never heard of those, will look into that for sure! I need a good pair of boots, I'm currently using my Cat work boots that I've had for years which are nice and tall, but are getting worn out in the tread. Felt like I was wearing skiis today in some parts on the snow lol. We own a construction company so I typically am I the office at my desk, therefore my cats have lasted me for some time :wink:

Thanks is fort the tips!!! I'll take everything and anything I can get!

BULLNUTTS
04-08-2015, 05:49 AM
i HAVE BROKEN BOTH MY ANKLES - MY RT ONE MORE THAN CAN COUNT.PLUS MY FEET BEEN STEPPED ON BY HORSES SO MUCH THE DOCS CANT TELL WHICH ARE FRACTURES AND WHERE ALL THE BONE CHIPS ARE FROM ON XRAYS NOW.THE TAPPING AND STIFF BOOTS IS PROBLY BEST HELP THEN OF COURSE A DECIDEDLY STRONG EFFORT ON YOUR PART TO TAKE THE TIME TO ALWAYS PLACE YOUR FOOT RIGHT,DONT ATTEMPT WHAT YOU CAN'T DO ,JUST PROTECT THE INJURY BY MODIFYING YOUR WAY OF DOING THINGS. Good Huntin BULLNUTTS

Fisher-Dude
04-08-2015, 06:45 AM
Go to a podiatrist or orthotist. They know what works best for this kind of condition.

Physiotherapists can help you build strength in your ankle, but the foot guys will get you fitted with the correct braces or orthotics to help you walk properly.

After surgery for a talar fracture, physio helped me strengthen my ankle, but the orthotist got me walking pain free with the proper orthotics.

bc_buckshot
04-08-2015, 06:55 AM
Take fish oil. It helped with joints and tendons

ncurrie
04-08-2015, 07:00 AM
I sprained my ankle really bad before I was to leave on my bison hunt, I thought it was never going to heal, ever. The only time it didn't hurt was when I wore my mendels and I taped it. My son has also had his Achilles lengthened and had tendon transfers in his left foot his orthotic brace works really well that is shaped for his foot, you could get one made to fit you and slip it into your boots. Don't cheap out, it's not worth it in the long run.

Everett
04-08-2015, 07:24 AM
A stiff mountaineering boot and proper orthopedic insoles and tape as necessary should fix your problem.

Deadshot
04-08-2015, 07:27 AM
If you wear the brace all the time, it'll never get the work it needs to strengthen. Go to physio as mentioned & get a strengthening program going. If your hunting with your hubby, have him come in to physio & learn how to tape up an ankle properly. Don't cheap out on boots.

hardnocks
04-08-2015, 07:50 AM
I have hurt my ankles many times working on steep side hills . A physio gave me some exercises to shorten the ligaments worked good for me.

Sofa King
04-08-2015, 09:18 AM
sounds like a good enough excuse to be piggy-backed as much as possible.

GoatGuy
04-08-2015, 11:21 AM
Sweedo brace, scarpas and vitamin I (ibuprofen). Broke both ankles.

Tīɡ
04-08-2015, 12:15 PM
Cool thanks for thr tips! I used to tape my ankle all the time for the first fee years after the accident, it is great when done right. Wonder if it would be good in addition to a brace? I haven't thought about taping, good idea Tig.

Thanks Tig! I did battle with a Volkswagen rabbit, took out the windshield, bent up the fender and hood so I feel I did damage back hahaha!! I did have an air cast, I'm sure it's around here somewhere lol. Next time I'm heading out I will maybe try taping with the air cast. The only thing I hated about the air cast is how bulky it is, however I'll take that over a messed up ankle in the boonies!!

Ohwildone I've never heard of those, will look into that for sure! I need a good pair of boots, I'm currently using my Cat work boots that I've had for years which are nice and tall, but are getting worn out in the tread. Felt like I was wearing skiis today in some parts on the snow lol. We own a construction company so I typically am I the office at my desk, therefore my cats have lasted me for some time :wink:

Thanks is fort the tips!!! I'll take everything and anything I can get!

Gee sounds like you really did some damage!

Foxton Gundogs
04-08-2015, 12:54 PM
I have a badly healed broken right ankle If I am doing any walking in rough country I tale my ankle and use a staff. Couldn't find exactly how my SM Dr. showed me but if you combine the 2 videos and wear a good boot you will get by. And as stated know your limitations and stay with in them. Oh yah and horses help a LOT lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ySkXxXCYbg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sRtN-gngn0

Timberjack
04-08-2015, 07:02 PM
A mountain bike will take you a long way quietly on logging roads. Might be a start to reduce some of the stress on your ankle..

TJ

ajeatoo
04-08-2015, 10:59 PM
Thanks for all of your help! I dug out my aircast today, didn't have time to tape up my ankle since we ended up having a half day available and so jumped at the opportunity. So headed out with the aircast and my cat boots. Worked pretty good, I think I definitley need to tape my ankle but the aircast is definitley better than the axis brace in that I can flex up and down more which is much better for hiking obviously.

I do have orthotics which I wear in my boots. And yes Tig I did go through s bit of crud with the accident. Spent 6 weeks in physio 6 hrs a day 7 days per week followed by twice per week sessions for several months. Had trouble learning to walk again and then frozen shoulder from my compound shoulder and arm break. I have some pretty big scars and people tend to be taken aback but I could care less. Doesn't bother me, a 1"x7" scar on my shoulder is something I am not ashamed of!! Big whoop many people in this world have suffered far far worse. It just means I need to spend more time with this finicky body of mine to get things right.

Sofa King, HAHAHA I have actually had to take advantage of that a few times I am not ashamed to admit. At 5'5" I simply cannot cross some creeks that my 6'2" husband can in a leap! He has been known to ask several times now "you can't reach that far in one step??" Ummm No. Welcome to the short legged world.

Goatguy never heard of sweedos or scarpas will have a look see, vitamin I... I have a very close relationship with ;)

GoatGuy
04-09-2015, 07:48 AM
Here ya go:

http://www.swedeo.com/anklelok.htm