PDA

View Full Version : Broken Bear Spray

604ksmith
04-06-2015, 05:43 PM
Hey Everyone,

I went out this weekend and had a bit of a scary incident with bear spray, so I thought I'd share.

After spending the better part of Saturday scouting Black Bear areas South East of PG and South of Vanderhoof (no bear, or bear sign), I decided to get some shooting in. I found nice open area and started to setup. Leaving my guns locked in their cases, I make sure to bring my bear spray with me while I walk through this field to setup some targets.

While 200 yards from my truck (range finder told me so) I knelt down between two target worthy stumps. After a few moments of struggling to get my staple gun to stick to these less than enthusiastic stumps, I heard an eruption of of high pitched squeals and breaking branches to my left. I instantly jumped to my feet, grabbed my bear spray and starred in that direction. I couldn't see anything, but I could tell something big had caught something small and it wasn't going well.

I figured I was maybe 75 yards away (50 yards of which was open field), and I knew I needed to get out of there. As soon as I left my things, bear spray in hand, and started to walk backwards to my truck all sound stopped. I thought, whatever that was it was over with now, and whatever large animal was in the bush was now probably listening to me walking away. I couldn't help it, but I was snapping branches every 2nd step or so walking through this fire scorched field.

I get about 10 yards away, and all of sudden the bushes erupt again and all I hear is branches breaking, and lots of them. My gut sank. If I wasn't scared before, I was now. I was certain a bear was going to charge through the brush and run the 60 or so yards towards me. But, I was wrong.

Out came a mature Moose! Full speed and straight towards me.

It's eyes were bulging and looked like they were going to pop out of it's head. After about 25 yards, which seems like three steps, it locks up it's front legs and slides to a stop. We're about 30-40 yards apart, in the middle of a field, and still about 150 yards from my truck. After a very tense few seconds of stillness, I decide to take a step back. As I do, the Moose takes a step forward. I stop again, and wait. This Moose is clearly angry, but seems hesitant at the same time. I try to take another step and it lunges forward a few gallops. I'm now within 15 yards of a very angry Moose, and decide to spray some bear spray. Ziiiip! I flick the safety clip off the trigger and press down in a series of three bursts. NOTHING! NOTHING! NOTHING!

Again, my gut sinks! Here I am, now standing in an open field 10-15 yards from a Moose, and my bear spray won't spray. Now my heart rate goes crazy and I'm freaking out. At least, internally. Externally, I'm standing as still as I can and probably white as a ghost. I have no idea what to do. Luckily, I think the Moose feels the same way or else I'd be getting trampled on by now.

I know I shouldn't bend down, but I don't know what else to do. So while keeping my eyes on the Moose, I bend down and pick up a baseball bat sized piece of deadfall. The Moose grunts, and flinches its head, but doesn't move. Standing back up again, I figure my only option is to walk backwards and hope I don't get charged. If I do, all I have is a piece of wood and a defective can of bear spray to defend myself. But again, as soon as I take a step, so does the Moose. It never gets closer, but keeps to this approximate 10 yard distance. I'm completely intimidated, I can feel the power of it's breathing. Everything about this situation seems like it's a split second away from chaos and I'll be on the losing end. But we keep on pacing each other back towards my truck.

I then remember, I have my truck keys in my pocket. I armpit the stick, move the broken can of bear spray into my left hand, and fumble for my keys with my right. However, as luck would have it I know my key fob is running on an old battery and my distance to unlock the truck has been getting shorter and shorter this last week. I try to set off my panic alarm, but no dice, I'm still 100 yards away.

Each step I take, the Moose follows, and I try my key fob one more time. This must go on for 10 seconds, but from the amount of concentration I have in this moment, it easily feels like a minute or two. Finally, once I'm about 50 yards from the truck my alarm goes off. The Moose's eyes pop out of it's head again, and it darts left and runs off in the opposite direction of the initial squealing. I turn around, sprint to my truck and jump in. I think I hit the horn about 5 or 6 times just for good measure. I then just sit there, not really thinking of anything, and not really doing anything. Just sitting. After this weird sort of "haze" wears off, I grab my bear spray and try to figure out what the hell is wrong with it.

After a minute or two of inspecting the bear spray, I figure out that some part of the trigger mechanism broke. Either during my initial press, or sometime earlier last season while the safety clip was still on and it was in my pocket. It felt like a spray bottle that you go to press and it simply squeezes all the way in with no force. A lever inside must have snapped. Also, it was only after the fact on the drive home I realized I was actively trying to spray bear spray within my truck with the windows rolled up...

Once I get a bit of courage, and I'm certain the Moose is gone, I get out of my truck and load my shotgun full of slugs. I then head back through the field and without walking into the bush but standing right at it's edge, I can now see there's a dead Coyote balled up right about where I heard all the commotion. I figure it must have spooked the Moose and gotten trampled on, it had obvious signs of broken hips and shoulders. I guess I was in the wrong place at the wrong time and my movement away from the attack made the Moose figure I was a 2nd Coyote and needed to be trampled too. Luckily, I didn't end up with the same fate.

Lessons learned?

1) I will always carry two forms of defence while in the bush (spray + gun, spray + knife, ect...)
2) Moose really are as scary as all those stories I keep hearing about
3) I will buy a new can of bear spray each season...and test the trigger for tension before each trip!

Thanks,
Kevin

Fred1
04-06-2015, 05:46 PM
Keep extra gonch in the truck too....

goatdancer
04-06-2015, 05:53 PM
It's bear spray. Obviously not intended for moose............

BRvalley
04-06-2015, 05:58 PM
little excitement is good for ya, keeps the ticker strong lol

did the bear spray freeze in your truck over winter? they say to replace if they have been frozen

sky-gunner
04-06-2015, 06:00 PM
Intence man. Very intence. But the party that made me laugh was the attempt at making the bear spray work inside your truck with windows rolled up. Glad it all worked out.

ruger#1
04-06-2015, 06:02 PM
Intence man. Very intence. But the party that made me laugh was the attempt at making the bear spray work inside your truck with windows rolled up. Glad it all worked out.

That would of been the worst air freshener ever.

rocksteady
04-06-2015, 06:02 PM
Bear spray has a best before date, like a fire extinguisher....

Read what the expiration date says. If it's before today,replace it. If it's after today, shake the snot out of it once in a while

604ksmith
04-06-2015, 06:03 PM
little excitement is good for ya, keeps the ticker strong lol

did the bear spray freeze in your truck over winter? they say to replace if they have been frozen

I never thought of that, but it probably did at some point. I did hunt a few days when the weather was -10 or colder this past season. Another good reason to spend the $50 on a new can each year.

604ksmith
04-06-2015, 06:05 PM
Bear spray has a best before date, like a fire extinguisher....

Read what the expiration date says. If it's before today,replace it. If it's after today, shake the snot out of it once in a while

I checked the best before, it's Dec 2015 so it should have been ok. I think the issue was more with the trigger than the aerosol itself. But thanks for the tip, I'll remember to shake my cans from now on.

ruger#1
04-06-2015, 06:07 PM
I have a can here with the holster. Should be worth money. EXP 0898. Antique. Maybe I will sell it to Jon Crietion, He likes pepper.

604ksmith
04-06-2015, 06:10 PM
I have a can here with the holster. Should be worth money. EXP 0898. Antique. Maybe I will sell it to Jon Crietion, He likes pepper.

1998! Get rid of that thing! It probably tastes like sriracha sauce now!

rifleman
04-06-2015, 06:20 PM
wow sounds like a hell of an adrenaline rush, glad ya made it out alive...

itsy bitsy xj
04-06-2015, 06:46 PM
glad to hear you're ok. I was wait/expecting to hear you say you played with the trigger in the truck and it started spraying.
That would have really sucked. I know a guy that did that with pepper spray in the cab of an excavator

landphil
04-06-2015, 07:18 PM
Glad you didn't get all moosed-up. We had a standoff for 1/2 hour last fall with a cow moose after my buddy filled his calf draw - was a bit intense even with two of us, with 2 rifles. Won't be applying for any calf draws myself after that unpleasant experience. Mano a mooso would not be fun either.

sky-gunner
04-06-2015, 07:22 PM
Glad you didn't get all moosed-up. We had a standoff for 1/2 hour last fall with a cow moose after my buddy filled his calf draw - was a bit intense even with two of us, with 2 rifles. Won't be applying for any calf draws myself after that unpleasant experience. Mano a mooso would not be fun either.

My aunt used to work for conservation, when i was a small kid, she brought over a orphaned deer fawn she was raising to releas. Anyway long story short, i kept fing with this fawn, i was told a few times to stop, didnt listen and got the living shit kicked outta me by said fawn lol. Now i was young so the hoofing im sure is worse in my mind than it was in real life, but from that day forward, i knew, fighting wild animals wasnt for me hahaha. Stand offs with moose, hellllll nooooo.

blackford
04-06-2015, 07:53 PM
I don't think I will ever have this problem. The moose usually run away from me.... Sometimes so quick I don't even get to see them..

in all seriousness ... I always have a firearm ready, willing and able.

tigrr
04-06-2015, 08:19 PM
Buy a lottery ticket mister LUCKY..
Moose put the run on small grizzly when the calf gets tired running away from it.

srupp
04-06-2015, 08:19 PM
Glad it all worked out well..have had a few close calls with moose..powerful animals..and yes thought the can woul work..in the truck cab..
Steven

Tīɡ
04-06-2015, 09:35 PM
Crazy story! Glad it all worked out in the end!

Jagermeister
04-06-2015, 09:58 PM
.........and a darkness came upon the earth........luckily it was in his shorts.

Paulyman
04-06-2015, 10:28 PM
No offense, but I think you should change your thread title to, I dirtied me underwear.

walnutz
04-06-2015, 11:38 PM
Jeez I can't imagine. Glad it turned out ok

caddisguy
04-07-2015, 07:42 AM
Wow! Moose definitely thought you were part of the coyote pack. Only standoff I ever had with a moose was from the jeep. Pretty sure he thought the jeep wanted to knock up his cows. Even with a vehicle, a bunch of guns, bear spray and air horns it still has butt pucker factor especially with a soft top. They seem like very dumb animals, but I respect any critter that outweighs me 20:1.

Good lesson about bear spray. Mine are so old I can't read the expiration and have probably been frozen a few dozen times. Time to replace. I have a number of older cans too... maybe 5-10 years old. Was never sure how to dispose of them? Someone once told me dig a hole in the ground and empty them... must be a better way though?

604ksmith
04-07-2015, 08:02 AM
Wow! Moose definitely thought you were part of the coyote pack. Only standoff I ever had with a moose was from the jeep. Pretty sure he thought the jeep wanted to knock up his cows. Even with a vehicle, a bunch of guns, bear spray and air horns it still has butt pucker factor especially with a soft top. They seem like very dumb animals, but I respect any critter that outweighs me 20:1.

Good lesson about bear spray. Mine are so old I can't read the expiration and have probably been frozen a few dozen times. Time to replace. I have a number of older cans too... maybe 5-10 years old. Was never sure how to dispose of them? Someone once told me dig a hole in the ground and empty them... must be a better way though?

I believe you can take them back to Wholesale Sports, Cabelas, Mountain Equipment Coop ect... and they'll dispose of them for you.

Although, I can't imagine them being terribly bad for the environment. I would probably just go out in your backyard and spray it empty and let April showers wash it away. Make sure to keep the dog indoors for a few hours though.

caddisguy
04-07-2015, 08:48 AM
I believe you can take them back to Wholesale Sports, Cabelas, Mountain Equipment Coop ect... and they'll dispose of them for you.

Although, I can't imagine them being terribly bad for the environment. I would probably just go out in your backyard and spray it empty and let April showers wash it away. Make sure to keep the dog indoors for a few hours though.

I'll check with Wholesale... it was actually a guy there who suggested discharging it into a hole, but that was many years ago heheh

Backyard method would work if I had one. I wouldn't do it if I lived in Poco or Lynn Valley though. One thing found out is that bear spray attracts bears very quickly. I had a little mishap and got some on my gear and susequently my hands and eyes. Though not direct, it still sucks when your eyes are burning and a bear comes out on the river bank to see what smells so delicious. Coupled with the squacking of a cheap fly reel, he seemed certain there was a duck in distress and it was pre-marinated with pepper. After standing up and getting a good sniff and my speaking to him like a puppy dog he was pretty confused and wandered off.

Lastcar
04-07-2015, 06:23 PM
I've seen others suggest an expired can is your chance to practice spraying it. Get a feel for how it sprays, range, accuracy etc.

Makes sense, your first time being with an animal bearing down is probably not ideal. Logically one should find an area a long ways from any other people where there is no risk of exposing others to any drift.

Mine doesn't expire for awhile yet. But it certainly has been frozen a few times. Guess I'll get a chance to practice with it.

.330 Dakota
04-07-2015, 07:11 PM
I always have 2 cans when working

caddisguy
04-08-2015, 07:50 AM
I've seen others suggest an expired can is your chance to practice spraying it. Get a feel for how it sprays, range, accuracy etc.

Good advice. I have only sprayed bear spear once (my second or third can) to see what it was like and how the wind would affect it. I was surprised that it actually has a decent force/kick and the majority of will stay on course in the wind... would definitely avoid spraying it into wind if possible though. Even a little indirect contact (get some on gear, touch gear, rinse hands, rub face/eyes) and it's hard to keep your eyes open for more than a couple seconds here and there for the next 30 mins. Not something you need with a bear around and trying to hike out possibly injured. Hold breath no matter which way you spray for 10-15 seconds too. Breathing it is pretty incapacitating.