PDA

View Full Version : Chehalis FSR Bear Hunting

chrscott
04-06-2015, 11:41 AM
Was out on Chehalis FSR yesterday looking for my first bear (first bear ever), but didn't see anything.

I spoke with one guy who said he saw one, and a few others who had not seen anything.

I didn't see any bears or any sign. I was looking for patches of grass, but about the only green I saw was young evergreens, and fresh buds on trees. Things still looked a little brown in general. Bugs got pretty bad in the evening though.

I was out hiking about 5 cut blocks, and their perimeters. I was focusing mainly on areas south of Chehalis lake.

Wondering if I am a couple weeks too early?

Should I head a little further north?

Should I be doing more bush wacking?

Any advice appreciated for a first time bear hunter.

Yes I have read all the bear threads on this site. ;-)

Thanks,
Chris

Fella
04-06-2015, 11:56 AM
Be patient, most years it takes a couple weeks at least for the action to start up. I've hunted Chehalis before when I lived in Chilliwack and it's hunted pretty hard especially on long weekends so any bears that are moving around up there will likely stay away from the roads.

ElectricDyck
04-06-2015, 12:02 PM
Were you wearing a flourescent orange hat? I was doing some glassing on the south east side with the spotter in between checking targets for my kids and didn't see any bears but did see a guy in a south west side cut block walking around...I wasn't hunting but kept my eyes open for sign but only saw elk and deer sign...

chrscott
04-06-2015, 12:41 PM
Hahaha, yes that was me in the fluorescent hat ElectricDyck. I guess it is doing it's job! :-)

Fella, thanks for the info. I think I will head back there a few more times in the coming weeks. Maybe I will head further north up the FSR, and try to get off the beaten path and away from the crowds. There were lots of people out there. Seemed to get quieter as I got further north.

Is there a food source/habitat I should be looking for in the bush? My understanding was to focus on grass on south facing cut-blocks, late afternoon/evening.

Any more tips or advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Chris

Timbow
04-06-2015, 02:37 PM
I have had luck finding bears for the wrong reasons close to water early in the season. Wrong reasons meaning forest related work. I believe their systems need to be flushed while coming out of hibernation. I would quite often find that black plug resembling the first crap of the season.

ElectricDyck
04-06-2015, 03:29 PM
Hahaha, yes that was me in the fluorescent hat ElectricDyck. I guess it is doing it's job! :-)

Fella, thanks for the info. I think I will head back there a few more times in the coming weeks. Maybe I will head further north up the FSR, and try to get off the beaten path and away from the crowds. There were lots of people out there. Seemed to get quieter as I got further north.

Is there a food source/habitat I should be looking for in the bush? My understanding was to focus on grass on south facing cut-blocks, late afternoon/evening.

Any more tips or advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Chris

Yeah too funny..

In all my driving and exploring that area in the last 10 years I've only ever seen 2 bears and they were closer to the north end. I've seen decent amounts of sign (crap every 50 yards or so) up wilson lake, and the old washed out road that used to be the trail to statlu lake. It's not that the bears aren't there I think there are just so many other people to share the sightings with...

chrscott
04-07-2015, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the tip ElectricDyck (that sounds a little funny...), I will be sure to check out those areas on my next outing!

GotaGun
04-07-2015, 11:09 AM
Went for a short cruise up there Saturday.
Was full of hunters .

Wentrot
04-07-2015, 12:42 PM
I've seen much more activity going up Harrison way. Bit farther but better and more area IMO.

chrscott
04-07-2015, 01:20 PM
Thanks Wentrot, are you talking about the East side of Harrison?

Wentrot
04-07-2015, 01:24 PM
Thanks Wentrot, are you talking about the East side of Harrison?

Yes sir. Have only seen the odd crap this year but always enjoyed the trips up there last year. I am putting money on this current burst of sun getting things fired up....early yes, however every day out has the chance of being "the day"!

SuperYeti
04-07-2015, 04:14 PM
Yes sir. Have only seen the odd crap this year but always enjoyed the trips up there last year. I am putting money on this current burst of sun getting things fired up....early yes, however every day out has the chance of being "the day"!

I was up all the way up to clear creek hot springs and back, and a bunch of the slashes on the right side on East Harrison FSR on Sunday and Monday, didn't see any sign, but did see a doe and her fawn. There was a TON of traffic up there on Sunday.

chrscott
04-08-2015, 08:13 AM
Thanks for the info guys.

One last question... Is it worth heading out in the rain? My understanding is that bears prefer sunny weather.

I am thinking there might be less hunting pressure out there, if the weather isn't so nice.

Wild one
04-08-2015, 08:49 AM
Thanks for the info guys.

One last question... Is it worth heading out in the rain? My understanding is that bears prefer sunny weather.

I am thinking there might be less hunting pressure out there, if the weather isn't so nice.

Once hot spring weather kicks in the coolers cloudy days or light rain are better than sunny. Remember in the spring bears still have there winter coat.

I can't see wearing a black winter coat being comfortable on hot sunny days

Buck
04-08-2015, 09:21 AM
Heading up for a ride to Wilson lake today.If nothing else i will get some great pics.

Buck
04-09-2015, 09:01 PM
No bear sign yet and i was up high and low.Bad washout up Wilson lake road so did not get far up there.

Dre
04-11-2015, 10:44 PM
I never see bears in the rain, never seen one shot in the rain either. They don't like to get wet, but right after a rain, when the sun is coming out, they move.

Wild one
04-12-2015, 06:18 AM
I never see bears in the rain, never seen one shot in the rain either. They don't like to get wet, but right after a rain, when the sun is coming out, they move.

Seen and shot bears in the rain

Heavy rain yes they seem to hunker down but if they waited for rain to stop in coastal areas to come out and feed they would be really skinny

Dre
04-12-2015, 10:56 AM
You're right, they wouldn't be doing too well on the coast if they waited for the rain to stop. I guess I just haven't seen them.

Seen and shot bears in the rain

Heavy rain yes they seem to hunker down but if they waited for rain to stop in coastal areas to come out and feed they would be really skinny

Taylor329
04-15-2015, 08:57 PM
I know that there are bears west of harrison, a few big ones too. There are a few roads that have been deactivated in the last few years, no vehicle traffic at all. Hike those roads, you can be surprised at what's around the corner..