PDA

View Full Version : How do you define trophy hunting?

alcesgigantes
04-05-2015, 09:28 AM
I've seen lots of stories in the news lately that use the term 'trophy hunting', yet it seems to me that the term can have lots of different definitions depending who you ask. How would you define trophy hunting? Or is it a term that should even be used?

Moose63
04-05-2015, 09:37 AM
Meat in the freezer....

keoke
04-05-2015, 09:41 AM
What ever animal you are happy with taking, be a spike fork or a giant

Caveman
04-05-2015, 09:46 AM
Trophy Hunting, taking only a memento, the horns, hide, or claws, not the meat and everything else useful. All hunting can be called Trophy Hunting, because of the experience, regardless of the size. Being selective, looking for a mature, exceptional specimen, in my view is not trophy hunting if everything is used, and retrieved.

swampthing
04-05-2015, 10:06 AM
I find the trophy is in the adventure. I have turned down an animal because there was no adventure in it, only to shoot a smaller specimen later the same day because there was some "adventure" in it like a long pack out, a great shot or something memorable. I have never really been a meat hunter. Its just a great by product of searching for "adventure"!

.300WSMImpact!
stupid post, lets not attack other hunters for how they choose to hunt

Sleep Robber
For me, I hunt for the meat, besides, the horns never did taste too good. Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate a nice rack, whether it's hanging on the wall or saying "look at these, their DD's".

If I end up knocking something down that has a rack big enough to make book, then I guess I have a trophy.... but I couldn't care or less, it's all about being out there enjoying myself, and the excellent tasting meat for my family and I to enjoy.

klondikemike
04-05-2015, 10:17 AM
Sometimes the trophy can be in the hunt itself. The place you went, the people you went with, the level of skill and endurance to be there. Although its nice to show your friends the pics you took along the way while chewing away on the jerky or sausages that became part of the hunt.

boxhitch
04-05-2015, 10:27 AM
All hunting can be called Trophy Hunting,any time there is competitiveness , even on a personal level , there can be a trophy involved.
Bringing home the meat vs. being skunked , bagging a larger buck than previously , keeping a reminder of the experience , finding an entry into a record book , all can be trophies.
Its a stupid term to attach to hunting , usually in a derogatory context by those that have their noses in the air . they don't get it.

"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted...If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it. What he is after is having to win it, to conquer the surly brute through his own effort and skill with all the extras that this carries with it: the immersion in the countryside, the healthfulness of the exercise, the distraction from his job.
Jose Ortega y Gasset, Meditations on Hunting.

Caveman
04-05-2015, 10:28 AM
Maybe the question should have been the of the definition of "Trophy Hunting" as viewed from a non-hunter. "Trophy Hunting" is frowned on in many views and anyone that doesn't take the first legal animal he/she encounters could be called a Trophy Hunter. A "Successful" hunt is one where you have a great time experience, with family or friends and possibly top it off with some great table fair. Again, being selective doesn't make you a Trophy Hunter, providing a mount on the wall is not the ultimate goal, without using the meat, but allows you to spend more time, doing something you truly enjoy and in a lot of cases, an animal may not even be harvested, but you have still achieved what you set out to do.

Surrey Boy
04-05-2015, 10:38 AM
I think it's a trophy, or ceremonial/cultural hunt if it's not done for subsistence. My great-grandparents hunted because that was the only meat they could afford. I hunt for meat, but it's trophy meat and pride is the ultimate motive.

Sport fishermen don't waste fish, and sometimes they mount their trophies, but it's all done for the fun of the experience and a photo of them and their fish.

I fail to see the difference between sport fishing and trophy hunting.

Blainer
04-05-2015, 11:46 AM
Sometimes the trophy can be in the hunt itself. The place you went, the people you went with, the level of skill and endurance to be there. Although its nice to show your friends the pics you took along the way while chewing away on the jerky or sausages that became part of the hunt.Good response

Wild one
04-05-2015, 11:53 AM
The term trophy hunting has been made a bad word by the media because they define it as hunting only for heads.

This is why if you ask hunters if they are a meat hunter or trophy hunter almost all will tell you they are a meat hunter.

When in reality hunters hunt for many reasons and yes to many meat is part of it and I would even say most will take the first legal animal on majority of hunts

But there is a large portion of hunters who at times apply for draws with trophy in mind, are selective on some species, take a few days or a trip to look for mister big. A lot of these hunter target any legal animal most hunts but at times they are more selective if it is B&C/P&Y, personal best, or what they think represents a nice bull/ram/billy/buck.

This is easy to see with the high odds that come with most sheep LEH and the numbers that apply for grizz.

I personally hate the label of "meat hunter" and "trophy hunter" because I would say most are a combination of both. This is like saying you are either a big game or small game hunter when most dabble in both even if it is just taking grouse for camp meat.

I reality in BC I would say for the most part we have hunting and hunters.

Need to ditch these BS labels as they are no help to hunters as a whole. Easy to turn around to BC hunters and say well majority only hunt for meat so species like grizz/sheep don't need to be hunted as many deem this a trophy hunt.

Fred1
04-05-2015, 12:18 PM
"Trophy hunting" is a shit term. Apparently I have been on dozens and dozens of "Trophy Hunts" and not one of them has ended in the same way, but not one of them has ended in failure of a great hunt! I have guys go home with no game saying that was the best hunt they have ever been on! I have had a guy go home with an incredible 58" moose with the most impressive eye guards ever seen by man and say he wanted a better moose. I had two guys completely love their 10 day moose hunt where absolutely everything and anything constantly went wrong and they double teamed a spike fork bull (4, 338's do some damage... geez...). I watched a fella with failing health cry when his son whacked his first moose (a cow non the less!) I drove 17hrs to meet four other guys to shoot 5 cow elk - what a blast that weekend was! Last year I shot all three of my deer tags in 2.5 hrs - that was a great day! (mule deer doe draw;) ). Geez I don't even have a rack on a wall?! Some great pics and great memories though. So what is a trophy hunt? I dunno? But I sure like the hunts where people have a great time and thoroughly enjoy the experience! What is it to you?

warnniklz
04-05-2015, 12:22 PM
My thoughts
http://goatsmoker.blog.com/?p=4

Wild one
04-05-2015, 12:27 PM
"Trophy hunting" is a shit term. Apparently I have been on dozens and dozens of "Trophy Hunts" and not one of them has ended in the same way, but not one of them has ended in failure of a great hunt! I have guys go home with no game saying that was the best hunt they have ever been on! I have had a guy go home with an incredible 58" moose with the most impressive eye guards ever seen by man and say he wanted a better moose. I had two guys completely love their 10 day moose hunt where absolutely everything and anything constantly went wrong and they double teamed a spike fork bull (4, 338's do some damage... geez...). I watched a fella with failing health cry when his son whacked his first moose (a cow non the less!) I drove 17hrs to meet four other guys to shoot 5 cow elk - what a blast that weekend was! Last year I shot all three of my deer tags in 2.5 hrs - that was a great day! (mule deer doe draw;) ). Geez I don't even have a rack on a wall?! Some great pics and great memories though. So what is a trophy hunt? I dunno? But I sure like the hunts where people have a great time and thoroughly enjoy the experience! What is it to you?

I would say more times than not the experience of the hunt is more important than taking an animal to many. Big reason why many keep going hunting even though not all hunts end with an animal on the ground

This a big reason in my opinion we really look at the hunt it self instead of the what ones goals in regards to what they are looking to take for an animal

Sofa King
04-05-2015, 03:37 PM
well, i view "trophy hunting" as hunting for a new ornament for the wall.
people who go out mainly for the size of the rack/head/etc and dont really care about the animal as a food harvest.
guys who travel to other countries/continents to hunt that exotic animal.
that is my interpretation/view of it.

however, to a degree, ive become somewhat of a trophy hunter in a way.
i pass on many, many legal deer during a season, even numerous nice 4points, all because i am searching for a particular deer.
and that deer is sometimes even a lesser buck, but its one ive had encounters with and am wanting "him".

Barracuda
04-05-2015, 03:41 PM
I think it's a trophy, or ceremonial/cultural hunt if it's not done for subsistence. My great-grandparents hunted because that was the only meat they could afford. I hunt for meat, but it's trophy meat and pride is the ultimate motive.

Sport fishermen don't waste fish, and sometimes they mount their trophies, but it's all done for the fun of the experience and a photo of them and their fish.

I fail to see the difference between sport fishing and trophy hunting.

I would say this is the vast majority of hunters .

Spy
04-05-2015, 04:02 PM
Trophy Hunting, taking only a memento, the horns, hide, or claws, not the meat and everything else useful. All hunting can be called Trophy Hunting, because of the experience, regardless of the size. Being selective, looking for a mature, exceptional specimen, in my view is not trophy hunting if everything is used, and retrieved.
X 2 That is trophy hunting in a nutshell bang on caveman I could not have said it any better!

Surrey Boy
04-05-2015, 04:56 PM
I would say this is the vast majority of hunters .

Hence it grieves me to see recreational hunters denounce other recreational hunters. We're all in the same boat, even if you're on a different deck.

ratherbefishin
04-06-2015, 08:26 PM
To all anti hunters,all hunting is 'trophy hunting',they do not recognise any other reason to hunt,such a putting healthy hormone free meat on the table..The same people always talk about 'high powered rifles with telescopic sights 'what do they want me to use,a 'low powered rifle' so the animal could escape wounded and die a slow lingering death? But there is no point in trying to use logic on someone not equipped to understand it....

M.Dean
04-07-2015, 05:40 AM
A "Trophy" is something that's presented to you in honor of you doing your very best, and for coming in first if others are involved. Years ago the word "Trophy" had a different meaning, mainly in the sport of hunting. If you went hunting and shot a monster of a buck, everyone would say "Man Bob, that's a real nice buck! It's a "Trophy" for sure! Back then everyone knew you wanted the meat as much as you wanted the horns, so the word "Trophy" and hunting went hand in hand. But, not any more! People who've never hunted in there lives, and have never tasted deer or moose, elk or bear simply hate the fact we kill and eat animals. And, it wasn't that long ago "Trophy" became a dirty word, the anti hunting groups connected the two words, putting them both on the "We'll wash your mouth out with soap" list!!! It matters not to a anti hunter type person if your buck makes the B&C list, if they see a picture of you kneeling beside your downed animal with a grin on your face, well, your nothing but a bloody "Trophy Hunter", aren't you??? Seems to me, the more times we hear that dirty little word on TV or the radio or in the news papers, more people join these very misguided anti hunting groups! And, God willing, if I do live long enough to shoot a record book "Trophy" Buck, the anti hunting groups can put the picture of me kneeling beside my B&C buck with a massive grin on my face on there posters, I really wouldn't give a crap! If this world did go for a shit, and we had to rely on our hunting skills to survive, and in our camp we had a juicy little deer roasting over the hot embers of the fire, when a group of starving anti hunters smelled that indescribable aroma, you honesty think there going to spew out anti hunting slogans, or grab a knife and cut off a good portion and eat like a pack of wolves??? They'd be in your next picture with you and your downed buck, with a big grin on there face!!!

ratherbefishin
04-07-2015, 06:06 AM
What I would like to know is do these self professed animal rights people boil their drinking water to at least humainly euthanize the millions of microscopic animals in their water bottles or do they eat them alive?
And before they dismiss this argument as 'rediculous',since when is size got anything to do with morality? Just because protazoa are very small does that mean they don't have rights too? And if they claim you can't see protazoa, and therefore it's ok to eat them,by the same arguement it's ok to eat a beefsteak if you're blindfolded?....same arguement.....

I demand the government immediately ban all trophy hunting of the wild Protozoa

ruger#1
04-07-2015, 06:13 AM
A "Trophy" is something that's presented to you in honor of you doing your very best, and for coming in first if others are involved. Years ago the word "Trophy" had a different meaning, mainly in the sport of hunting. If you went hunting and shot a monster of a buck, everyone would say "Man Bob, that's a real nice buck! It's a "Trophy" for sure! Back then everyone knew you wanted the meat as much as you wanted the horns, so the word "Trophy" and hunting went hand in hand. But, not any more! People who've never hunted in there lives, and have never tasted deer or moose, elk or bear simply hate the fact we kill and eat animals. And, it wasn't that long ago "Trophy" became a dirty word, the anti hunting groups connected the two words, putting them both on the "We'll wash your mouth out with soap" list!!! It matters not to a anti hunter type person if your buck makes the B&C list, if they see a picture of you kneeling beside your downed animal with a grin on your face, well, your nothing but a bloody "Trophy Hunter", aren't you??? Seems to me, the more times we hear that dirty little word on TV or the radio or in the news papers, more people join these very misguided anti hunting groups! And, God willing, if I do live long enough to shoot a record book "Trophy" Buck, the anti hunting groups can put the picture of me kneeling beside my B&C buck with a massive grin on my face on there posters, I really wouldn't give a crap! If this world did go for a shit, and we had to rely on our hunting skills to survive, and in our camp we had a juicy little deer roasting over the hot embers of the fire, when a group of starving anti hunters smelled that indescribable aroma, you honesty think there going to spew out anti hunting slogans, or grab a knife and cut off a good portion and eat like a pack of wolves??? They'd be in your next picture with you and your downed buck, with a big grin on there face!!!
Nice one Dean Martin.

M.Dean
04-07-2015, 07:20 AM
Nice one Dean Martin. Why thank you! Wrote that one "Before" I took my Prescription Drugs this morning!

:grin:

alcesgigantes
04-08-2015, 11:08 PM
I've been trying to respond to this post since the first day, but keep getting error messages (always fun after typing a bunch!). Here goes again...

I think the issue that bothers me most is how the media uses the term 'trophy hunting' without defining it. Everyone who reads the story will have their own definition (as we've seen with this post/poll). I think everyone has their own methods and reasons for how and why they hunt, so I don't feel the term is that helpful.

I think many non-hunters (not all non-hunters are 'antis') don't understand, at a very basic level, what it means to be a hunter and the media doesn't help much usually. Being new to the forum it's encouraging to see ethical, thoughtful hunters on here.

Ohwildwon
04-08-2015, 11:18 PM
What I would like to know is do these self professed animal rights people boil their drinking water to at least humainly euthanize the millions of microscopic animals in their water bottles or do they eat them alive?
And before they dismiss this argument as 'rediculous',since when is size got anything to do with morality? Just because protazoa are very small does that mean they don't have rights too? And if they claim you can't see protazoa, and therefore it's ok to eat them,by the same arguement it's ok to eat a beefsteak if you're blindfolded?....same arguement.....

I demand the government immediately ban all trophy hunting of the wild Protozoa

Yea!! And what about killin all those fruits and vegetables?

Mulehahn
04-08-2015, 11:26 PM
To me this asking 2 very different questions. The definition of "trophy hunting" is the killing of an animal and the removal of the hide, antlers, horns, or claws only for the express purposely of having an item to display. A trophy! That is why there is no denying the grizzly hunt is a "trophy hunt." The original poll is asking what constitutes a trophy to a hunter, and is usually the reason they hunt. That is up to each individual to decide. I have zero problem with trophy hunting. They are usually the most selective and dedicated. I hunt for the meat. First legal animal I see I usually take.