PDA

View Full Version : another cape question

Dale
04-09-2007, 11:10 AM
how long will a cape last if left on the animal? just wondering if its ok to take an animal and then say backpack it out that day and straight into a freezer.

boxhitch
04-09-2007, 12:34 PM
I guess you could pack it out whole.......??
Cooling it quick is essential, much faster off of the carcass. Critters have been retrieved the next day after a kill, and have been ok.

GoatGuy
04-09-2007, 01:22 PM
I guess you could pack it out whole.......??
Cooling it quick is essential, much faster off of the carcass. Critters have been retrieved the next day after a kill, and have been ok.

X2 - quite a few animals left til the next day to cape and salt, no problems.

mainland hunter
04-09-2007, 01:43 PM
freezing it is ok but dont wrap the head into the rest of the cape or hide. those hides hold the cold out pretty good and can take quite a bit longer to cool down even in the freezer which can cause spoilage

BearSniper
04-09-2007, 02:50 PM
Cape on question.

Hmmmmmmm. I was thinking of the hunting we did last September in the warmth near Tulameen and Helmer Lake.

Got a small 2 point for the youth season late in the day and took the time to skin it out and try to do as good a flesh job as possible.

I've always learned/practiced that you should get the cape off asap. It's true you can leave it on and retreive the animal next day, but I think this is in the case of colder weather say in November.

I dunno. I've always skinned the animal when they're fresh.....it just seems to come off much smoother and with no complications. With a very sharp knife and a partner, you can cut right down the membrane line and peel the cape away from the membrane surrounding the meat. I think there's more of a stretch with the hide than when its a day old.

just my 2 cents:smile:

mark
04-09-2007, 05:59 PM
Ive left the hide on for a couple days before skinning or caping, no problems, as long as the animal cools and stays cool!

steveo32
04-09-2007, 07:35 PM
hey dale if this is a northern trip just make chris take care of it:twisted: But i knwo up north we take the cape off as soon as possiable cause they are paying alot of money to have a good looking head for the wall and i dont want to be blamed for a ruined cape.

steve

Dale
04-09-2007, 09:00 PM
think chris would do it for me. i've done a couple deer and a moose but not sure about doing a ram. i guess its the same but i'm not sure how to split the lips and eyes and turn the ears. i normally just take the cape off and let the taxi do the rest.

steveo32
04-09-2007, 09:11 PM
Haha i am sure chris would love to do it :twisted: he has so much free time now that he does not guide as often anymore :lol: Will you be up north working the park again this year? P.S. if you get lucky and hammer on be sure to stop by and let us drool over him

steve

Dale
04-10-2007, 12:50 PM
yeah i'm on my way back up there within a few weeks. should be a good time. I was hoping to get in on a little horse back riding this year. i went once last year with out senior ranger on chris's horses but i would like to do some more and learn some more about riding, packing etc. when are you up there, i'm guessing middle of July or so?

DALE

steveo32
04-10-2007, 08:09 PM
Hey dale good guess:lol: I am suppose to be up there july 15th this year to shoe horses so we can get out for sheep before we have to go back to work :mad: I am sure chris and thor will let you take a few horses out again, also i think we are gonna have 3 new wranglers to teach packing so i am sure if you talk to chris he will let you in on that also

steve

Dale
04-11-2007, 12:37 PM
sounds wicked to me!! see ya soon!