PDA

View Full Version : Spring Bear - hunting location ideas?

MikeRogers
04-03-2015, 07:26 PM
Having spent the day just south of Whistler looking for a spring bear with no luck I was considering changing locations for tomorrows hunt. I know peoples key spots are closely guarded secrets and in no way am I asking for specifics but if anyone has an area that they think might be more productive then up the sea to sky highway I am all ears.

604ksmith
04-03-2015, 07:28 PM
I would head north and get past Pemberton. I used to see quite a few bears around the Birken area.

Also, hunting anywhere near Whistler will likely be problematic with too many people and pets around.

MikeRogers
04-03-2015, 07:32 PM
Thanks for the advice, always appreciated.

rides bike to work
04-03-2015, 07:35 PM
It's still very early even though bears are out you chance of seeing one will be way better closer to may so getting to know your country is the key to the game right now.Stick out your spot and find the nooks and crannies and expand your knowledge. I'm sure there is bears in the area your looking as coastal bc is plain old bear country just gotta be in the right place at the right time.If you find some poop look close around it there might be a bunch if poops.this time of year they are eating grass and pooping out the winter plug.Find the sign and it will be game on.

Rupert Retired
04-03-2015, 07:43 PM
Depends on what you want, meat or a trophy. Meat is pretty easy, there are a lot of bears in BC. Check out green grasses and shrubs for spring bears, the grass that bears are using are usually cropped down like a lawn-mower. Bears usually come out in the afternoon, so that is best if you have found a spot that is being used. Also, they seem to love to crap on roads, if you find a lot of poop in a concentrated area, then there is probably a bear working that area, so you need to figure out a vantage point and wait in the afternoon. Anyway, good luck, hope you smoke a good one!

natebavis
04-03-2015, 08:16 PM
Rutherford north fsr 20 min past whistler usually yields me or one of my pals a bear every year. Nothing massive, few years ago we took 2 average bears mid day 18 degrees 1/2 hr apart in June. never get em this early as usually snowed in until may...ish.

Nate

aggiehunter
04-03-2015, 11:45 PM
try BC.......

dhog
04-04-2015, 07:19 AM
Take the ferry to lanfdale drive down to Mcnair creek by the pulp mill always lots of bears, you can also hunt the rainy river valley just dont tell them at the gate house your hunting some idiot shot up the relay station for the dam control now they wont let firearms pass on thyre property

Wild one
04-04-2015, 07:24 AM
Odds are there is nothing wrong with your location but instead you're timing is off.

If you really want to try for early bears try down low.

Myself I am just going to wait for conditions improve and more bears are out and about.

shortrange
04-04-2015, 07:46 AM
Odds are there is nothing wrong with your location but instead you're timing is off.

If you really want to early bears try down low.

Myself I am just going to wait for conditions improve and more bears are out early.

That's what I think too after my Friday hunting trip. I hit a few spots around Princeton, Merrit, etc., to check them out and saw no bear sign. Plenty of mule deer. It was snowing so much on the Coquihalla I turned back and headed home instead of driving to Clearwater. Way too early now. South Island is an option but this weekend the ferry lineups are epic. Maybe next week...Waited all winter for the spring bear hunt. Have to wait a bit longer.

Ruger10/22
04-05-2015, 12:48 PM
I think we just need to hang in there and return to our scouted locations in May. Things don't seem to be starting as early as predicted. I spent April 3 and 4 hiking around the Elaho River area and saw no signs. We all know black bears are out there somewhere. Soon they will start moving around. And like others I saw a lot of deer. And a snake. I saw one snake.

ruger#1
04-05-2015, 01:11 PM
Bears are out. I just came back from the farm. Lots of spots where the bears were eating grass. Seen a nice fat blacktail.

ducktoller
04-05-2015, 04:23 PM
Soo river is alright, might be lots of active logging still