PDA

View Full Version : Pitt Marsh for bass

mcmullmar
04-03-2015, 06:01 PM
Has anyone fished there for bass lately? Any tips you are willing to share

Thank you

Foxtail
04-03-2015, 09:48 PM
Never caught bass there. Caught them in Noel Booth Park in Langley and years ago in the pond at TWU

Wild one
04-04-2015, 07:14 AM
Water still needs to warm up they are lethargic in cool water

If you really want to go out this time of year use slow presentations rubber lizards and worms scented would be best. Or even a fly rod with large wollybuggers.

When it warms up spinnerbaits, minnow baits, and top water frogs can be added to the mix.

Focus on structure weeds, logs, trees, and anything else they can hide near.

Pete
04-04-2015, 07:17 AM
When did Bass get introduced to Pitt Marsh??

Wild one
04-04-2015, 07:33 AM
When did Bass get introduced to Pitt Marsh??

I have known of them for almost 20 years in Pitt so I assume a lot longer than that.

Bass have been in the lower mainland a long time first 1 I caught was 22 years ago. But since then it seems the bucket bergaide has moved them to a crap load of different areas.

Not good but they are not going away now and you even find the odd 1 in the Fraser. I don't promote the illegal stocking but might as well enjoy fishing them.

Fisheries has been trying to remove them for a long time but it is my understanding this will not continue as it is an expensive loosing battle

Ranger95
04-04-2015, 08:43 AM
Has anyone fished there for bass lately? Any tips you are willing to share

Thank you

Summertime, five weight fly rod - floating line and a popper!

explosive surface action at its best.

Derp
04-04-2015, 08:45 AM
deer lake in burnaby is full of them also

ruger#1
04-04-2015, 08:47 AM
Caught them back in the 80s Judson Lake at the south end of Clearbrook road in Abbotsford. They were also in Laxton lake. I used a bobber with a 1 1/2 foot leader. Jiggled the bobber around for action. A big dew worm works. Biggest bass was 16 inches.

Wild one
04-04-2015, 08:56 AM
Caught them back in the 80s Judson Lake at the south end of Clearbrook road in Abbotsford. They were also in Laxton lake. I used a bobber with a 1 1/2 foot leader. Jiggled the bobber around for action. A big dew worm works. Biggest bass was 16 inches.

Don't know if it is true but some say these 2 lakes is where it started

ruger#1
04-04-2015, 09:00 AM
Judson is half on the American side. Another way they could get spread around is if some fertilized eggs are stuck on diving ducks legs, And then transported to different lakes. There are also bass in the Nicomen Slough and the other sloughs on Nicomen Island. Never seen any perch.

Wild one
04-04-2015, 09:22 AM
Judson is half on the American side. Another way they could get spread around is if some fertilized eggs are stuck on diving ducks legs, And then transported to different lakes. There are also bass in the Nicomen Slough and the other sloughs on Nicomen Island. Never seen any perch.

Any slough linked to the Fraser holds possibility. Seen 1 caught on a spinning glow on queens bar in the fraser a long time ago and have picked up 3 bass in back channels in the Fraser targeting trout. Caught them at the mouth of the Stave and Hatzic lake was the first place I caught a bass in the lower mainland. They are in the Fraser system but do not seem to thrive in the faster water.

With the amount of time they have been around I am not shocked at all when I hear of them caught in any system that links to the Fraser.

I would say people moving them is a big part of them spreading into other waters. Watched them turn up in a lot of closed systems as well. Also seems whoever does this is moving sunfish at the same time. Guessing as a food source but it seems if I find a sunfish or bass the other is there as well

They are here to stay now might as well enjoy them is what I figure

ruger#1
04-04-2015, 09:29 AM
Lots of crappie in those systems.

Wild one
04-04-2015, 09:48 AM
Lots of crappie in those systems.

I think crappie were here first and been here a lot longer.

Who knows what the hell will show up in the lower mainland waters next because it seems like people don't think about the impact it can have. They only think would it be cool if this was here.

One thing I have noticed with bass they lay a beating on pike minnow harder then anything else I have noticed. Don't know what the impact will be from this but I can't help but think the stinky pike minnow might naturally be here for a reason.

ruger#1
04-04-2015, 11:43 AM
Just came back from the Dewdney slough. A few fish jumping close to the mouth.

yamadirt 426
04-04-2015, 03:58 PM
Fisheries stocked bass years and years ago. I've caught pumpkinseed last year in a slough in Ladner. Thought and bass have commingled on the island for years together. Same lake.

ruger#1
04-04-2015, 04:17 PM
Largemouth, Were introduced into B.C. In 1916

Smallmouth In 1901

Wild one
04-04-2015, 04:39 PM
Fisheries stocked bass years and years ago. I've caught pumpkinseed last year in a slough in Ladner. Thought and bass have commingled on the island for years together. Same lake.

Largemouth were not stocked in reg 2 but yes other area were stocked

walks with deer
04-07-2015, 07:37 PM
Go in the slough by pitt meadows airport.
Right were the slough meets the fraser... never seen so many bass.

BRvalley
04-10-2015, 11:39 AM
what size bass are you finding?

I love bass fishing, think I need to check this out soon

Wild one
04-10-2015, 11:52 AM
what size bass are you finding?

I love bass fishing, think I need to check this out soon

Depending on where I am fishing but there is some big ones around but don't expect them every trip. Personal best is around 9lbs have caught lots in the 3-5lb range. Some areas a big one is 2lbs and some areas this is average.

barklee
04-20-2015, 11:48 AM
Amazing bass fishing around and there is a lower mainland club and a club in the Okanagan. Fish have been biting hard for a couple weeks now.
here is a link to our club
http://okanaganbass.ca/

knighthunter
04-20-2015, 03:12 PM
Go in the slough by pitt meadows airport.
Right were the slough meets the fraser... never seen so many bass.

Is this largemouth or smallmouth or both.

Wentrot
04-20-2015, 04:07 PM
Is this largemouth or smallmouth or both.

Largemouth

walks with deer
04-21-2015, 06:02 PM
Went rot is correct.

I just use worms with my kids.easy fishing.

knighthunter
04-21-2015, 09:33 PM
I've caught tons of smallmouth back on the prairie's as they are stocked in several lakes near where I lived but no largemouth back there.

Sofa King
05-09-2015, 09:38 PM
stocked from where?