PDA

View Full Version : what is consider baiting for bears ?

gutpile
04-03-2015, 05:18 PM
So if i see a bear feeding on slide kill or any kind of kill site
Would that make it illegal to take that bear ?

Rhyno
04-03-2015, 05:25 PM
I don't see that as any different than if you shot a bear in the fall feeding in huckleberries. I say legal.

BRrooster
04-03-2015, 05:33 PM
You could argue , that if you knew it was there and checked it out once in a while............illegal.

Rhyno
04-03-2015, 05:34 PM
You could argue , that if you knew it was there and checked it out once in a while............illegal.
So is it illegal to hunt bear feeding on berries then?

Ozone
04-03-2015, 05:38 PM
So is it illegal to hunt bear feeding on berries then?
If you planted the berries, then yes.

Shooter
04-03-2015, 06:18 PM
I have gone back many times to other peoples gut piles checking. Would be nice to have some clarification for sure. I always took it as personally and purposely setting out stuff out.

That would be considered baiting. If you know a carcass is there then it is considered baiting. This was asked of a CO previously.

Rackmastr
04-03-2015, 06:22 PM
I personally wouldn't be checking gut piles or hunting a kill site if I found it. Have heard enough in the past about people having issues and being charged with it that its not worth it to me to go down that road.

Seek clarification from the C/O service though, not HBC is your best bet.

gutpile
04-03-2015, 06:56 PM
I see this as a really stupid law , why should we not kill bears that are feeding on kill
sites ? It really makes it safe to take thus bears out that are feeding during the day time .
Second , theres no shortage of bears especially blackbears.
In some places the gun shot is a dinner bell and thus bears should be
taking out if you have a tag , who wants to stumble on a bear feeding on a kill .
This law needs to be changed !

Ambush
04-03-2015, 07:00 PM
This gets beat to death every spring and it always ends the same. Dozens of opinions from "who cares" to having bacon on your breath being illegal. It will go back and forth, round and round, till there is only about two guys left trading insults.

You will not get your answer here. I could post the truth here , but I don't really feel like dealing with the inevitable shit storm that a few would create as they look for the devil under every rock.

Get your answer here.

Stephen.MacIver@gov.bc.ca

You will have to keep narrowing the parameters to get a complete answer.

bighornbob
04-03-2015, 07:56 PM
It says in the regs, illegal to use part of an animal for bait. Doesn't specify if it's havested or found.

Gateholio
04-03-2015, 08:15 PM
Last time this came up I believe the answer from the CO office was that if you had "previous knowledge" of the gutpile/carcass and you shot a bear off of it, it would be considered baiting.

Myself, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Lots of bears out there, all over the place.