PDA

View Full Version : Kelowna Spring bear

Heffernan89
04-02-2015, 12:07 PM
Hey has anyone seen any signs of bear, was out all day yesterday pounding ground and was surprised that I didn't see much sign (really any sign to be honest)......any advice will help I checked out a lot of please I can pm them to you if you want.....

Stone Sheep Steve
04-02-2015, 12:21 PM
No. They are all still sleeping......

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-136725-101-.htm#136725

Heffernan89
04-02-2015, 12:40 PM
LOL I know their out just trying to figure out where the little buggers are...

Heffernan89
04-02-2015, 12:40 PM
I have no problem doing all the work, just trying to save my gas bill by coming on here that all

The Dawg
04-02-2015, 12:42 PM
Its the first day of the season.....relax...they are out there

GoatGuy
04-02-2015, 12:50 PM
Looks like West Kelowna, look for garbage cans.......

Try low elevation south facing slopes.

bc_buckshot
04-02-2015, 12:56 PM
If your trying to save your gas bill, then hunting isnt the best choice. There out forsure, like he said its early and they arnt gonna be out in full force like its may.

Moe.JKU
04-02-2015, 12:56 PM
Save gas by hiking old deativated roads, or sitting in a nice vantage point, grab a tin of cope and glass some hillsides.

boxhitch
04-02-2015, 06:15 PM
Look for a food source and monitor til there is fresh sign .........then the bears are out

dave_fras
04-04-2015, 06:43 AM
Hey man..ive been out looking for sheds all over. Ive only a came across one pile of crap!. Ive heard of 2 low down in summerland

Liveforthehunt
04-04-2015, 07:07 AM
Save gas by waiting a couple more weeks. Will be easier to find they are all in town right now saw a couple yesterday ;)

Amphibious
04-05-2015, 06:40 AM
Lots of spring bear in the Okanagan, they'll be out soon, but I don't even bother until may. walk Deactivated roads. Look for spots without tire tracks and you'll find them.

Stone Sheep Steve
04-05-2015, 07:23 AM
Went out last evening. Saw 40 mulies, 6 Whities and zero bears. Lots of green out there.

batman66
04-05-2015, 07:46 PM
they will be out shortly along the roads eating the green grass, soon after they will go back into the woods in search of newborn bambies

GrizzlyAdams
04-06-2015, 09:22 AM
was out yesterday, just south of beaverdell looking for turkeys, and saw a couple decent bears. south facing slopes munchin on grass.

Heffernan89
04-08-2015, 03:26 PM
Hey guys thank for the tips, saw my first sign of bears the other day but still not much of them yet. I usually hike but I am exploring areas new to me so I am just trying to pound the ground. I agree with waiting a bit, am not taken it seriously yet but would like to have an area scouted out. My intention of this post was to simply talk to people about how much sign they where out their, not to complain about gas or anything like that ...just to clarify.. this is my first bear hunt and my great grandfather (who use to guide) is not able to communicate the best to me this last year due to he's age (94). I would like nothing more to bring him some bear meat and share the story with him. I also am new to Kelowna (1.5yrs) and still haven't been able to find decent hunting buddy so instead of talking everyone ear off that doesn't hunt I come on here to get my fix.

wish everyone the best of luck on the spring season

OKsean
04-09-2015, 08:11 AM
Lots of good hunting to be had in the Kelowna area. Bear main FSR (naturally) off of Westside road is a good place to start. Enough roads branch off there to keep a guy busy for a long time. Hard part is finding areas that are not overrun by other humans.

Stone Sheep Steve
04-09-2015, 08:22 AM
Lots of good hunting to be had in the Kelowna area. Bear main FSR (naturally) off of Westside road is a good place to start. Enough roads branch off there to keep a guy busy for a long time. Hard part is finding areas that are not overrun by other humans.

Yes, with the early melt the motor bikers are out in full-force.

unclebuck
04-12-2015, 09:18 AM
my m8 saw a couple nice black bears up Postill the other day.

palmer
04-12-2015, 09:28 AM
have seen two bears in the last couple of days...its starting

Surrey Boy
04-12-2015, 09:36 AM
I have no problem doing all the work, just trying to save my gas bill by coming on here that all

That's a fair consideration, and we're here to help. There're more than enough bears for everyone.

Heffernan89
04-12-2015, 07:47 PM
glad to hear they are starting to show them self more..... Ill probably go out wed and see if it time to get serious about it.....

Surrey Boy
04-16-2015, 09:40 AM
Went up to Oyama Lake yesterday, didn't see any bear sign. Was there to fish, not hunt though. Didn't catch any fish either.

Surrey Boy
04-16-2015, 06:19 PM
Took Philpotts Road to Ideal Lake, checked out Grizzly and Houda lakes. Caught a few small dollies, nothing worth keeping. Saw two piles and some tracks across the snow, no bears.

GoatGuy
04-16-2015, 09:53 PM
Took Philpotts Road to Ideal Lake, checked out Grizzly and Houda lakes. Caught a few small dollies, nothing worth keeping. Saw two piles and some tracks across the snow, no bears.

Dollies???

You mean brook trout?

boxhitch
04-16-2015, 09:54 PM
Maybe he means cougars

Dannybuoy
04-17-2015, 08:12 AM

Hmm I know most of the lakes up that way and haven't heard of Houda Lake or lakes with dollies in that area ?
Also I was up there yesterday to catch dinner (rainbow trout)... no bear sign ... still lots of snow

OKsean
04-17-2015, 08:41 AM
Those are most likely brook trout, dollies and brookies are both good eating fish though!

Liveforthehunt
04-17-2015, 08:53 AM
Grizzly... I don't even think there is brookies in there just bows lol I am very familiar with the area and the majority of the lakes as well don't think one lake up there has anything else in it ? Time to get out your fishing regs and study your fish "surrey boy" ;)

Surrey Boy
04-17-2015, 09:05 AM
Good thing I didn't keep any. They were pale without a rainbow on the side, I assumed it was Dolly Varden. Very small, hence the catch and release. My mistake.

Surrey Boy
04-17-2015, 09:09 AM
Looking through the regulations, they may have been brook trout.

Fisher-Dude
04-17-2015, 09:19 AM
I can't think of one lake on the Aberdeen Plateau with brookies.

Most likely they were 'bows. Lots of triploids that are green back/silver sides in that area.

Liveforthehunt
04-17-2015, 09:40 AM
I can't think of one lake on the Aberdeen Plateau with brookies.

Most likely they were 'bows. Lots of triploids that are green back/silver sides in that area.

Lots of triploids? Really ? Why don't they get as big as the gardom triploids out of curiosity . I know alot of lakes up here with spawning grounds that reproduce. Can anyone answer this ? I know the majority of the lakes up there are pretty shallow could this be a variable ?

Stone Sheep Steve
04-17-2015, 10:45 AM
Best to check here for stocking reports.
http://www.gofishbc.com/fish-stocking-reports.aspx

Liveforthehunt
04-17-2015, 10:52 AM
Best to check here for stocking reports.
http://www.gofishbc.com/fish-stocking-reports.aspx

Very cool thanks

Fisher-Dude
04-17-2015, 10:56 AM
Lots of triploids? Really ? Why don't they get as big as the gardom triploids out of curiosity . I know alot of lakes up here with spawning grounds that reproduce. Can anyone answer this ? I know the majority of the lakes up there are pretty shallow could this be a variable ?

It's the feed availability that primarily determines the size (and the pH, etc). And, of course, that's related to the fish population, too. A small population will generally have bigger fish.

Put and take lakes like those on the Plateau tend to be stocked more heavily for family fisheries. And, since most of those lakes are drawn down for water supplies, the littoral areas along the shores just don't produce the feed to grow big rainbows.

Liveforthehunt
04-17-2015, 12:29 PM
Makes sense good input off topic not to hijack the thread but all valid points there a couple up there with some pigs I'm sure your aware just a little harder to get there.