PDA

View Full Version : black bear hunting opening

chrismcd
04-01-2015, 09:20 PM
is black bear hunting usually up and running opening day?
ive never done it or looked for bear till last fall so this is first spring.
ive been hiking around areas that are greening up and have seen no sign.
everything i read say mays more productive but its open so i thought id try it out today in a diferent area then ive been hiking, still no sign.

should i wait it out and trade my gun for my dog until may or i see sign? i know my dog would like that, she was sad when i left today without her.:sad:

Fella
04-01-2015, 09:28 PM
is black bear hunting usually up and running opening day?
ive never done it or looked for bear till last fall so this is first spring.
ive been hiking around areas that are greening up and have seen no sign.
everything i read say mays more productive but its open so i thought id try it out today in a diferent area then ive been hiking, still no sign.

should i wait it out and trade my gun for my dog until may or i see sign? i know my dog would like that, she was sad when i left today without her.:sad:

depends where you are located. We had an unusually warm winter across most of the province so in the southern areas bears may be out and about. Here on the south island there have been bears spotted almost a month ago. Last year I didn't see as much as a turd until towards the end of April.

Dre
04-01-2015, 09:31 PM
Why trade the dog for the gun, take both. My dog goes bananas when he sees a gun case. We hunt together. April opener is far less productive, however this year spring came early and you never know. If you did get a bear this early, the coat would be nice, no rubs yet. Not much sign in early April, but they are there. I'm heading out, work the kinks out of the boots, and spend some time in the bush.

Boner
04-01-2015, 09:35 PM
I went out in the bush today. Seen sweet f all, but I had a good time all the same.

chrismcd
04-01-2015, 09:43 PM
i thought id leave her because she stomps through the bush like to rotty she is, and hates loud noises. she wont leave my side when she hears guns. might not be the worst things. do many people bring there hounds bear hunting?

shortrange
04-01-2015, 09:53 PM
depends where you are located. We had an unusually warm winter across most of the province so in the southern areas bears may be out and about. Here on the south island there have been bears spotted almost a month ago. Last year I didn't see as much as a turd until towards the end of April.

I was planning on hunting in the southern part of the Island this weekend, but with all the folks crowding the ferries I would have to swim across...I hear it is greening up nicely around Clearwater. Anyone up there see bear sign?

bc_buckshot
04-01-2015, 09:56 PM
Bears are out. Saw 3 nice size bears today. Almost pulled the trigger but decided to watch them feed and quietly leave without them knowing. Too early in the season to cut the tag. In a couple more days it might be a diffrent outcome

rides bike to work
04-01-2015, 10:13 PM
This guy was up and moving last week
http://i60.tinypic.com/30b3b5t.jpg

rgn5hunt
04-01-2015, 10:21 PM
I was planning on hunting in the southern part of the Island this weekend, but with all the folks crowding the ferries I would have to swim across...I hear it is greening up nicely around Clearwater. Anyone up there see bear sign?
My friend was repairing his fence near 100 Mile House and he did see fresh tracks in a muddy spot.

Junorr500
04-01-2015, 10:47 PM

Looks very grizzlyish to me.

itsy bitsy xj
04-01-2015, 11:15 PM

Thats what I was thinking

monasheemountainman
04-01-2015, 11:28 PM
Uhhhh ya that's a fat looking grizz. Where was that?

jtred
04-02-2015, 05:14 PM
Just got home from a 2 1/2 week holiday in Germany and was pleased to see the amount of green grass on the verge and in the ditches here in the Creston valley. With the mild winter and somewhat earlier spring it might be worth heading out and checking lower elevation south facing slopes. I am planning on getting a couple of loads of firewood anyhow this weekend so I might has well have the rifle along. Maybe head out early and see what the turkeys are up to as well.

olympia
04-02-2015, 05:26 PM
Yeah I was thinking the same, he looks pretty fat fat for a spring bear

Sarge789
04-02-2015, 05:29 PM

My thoughts as well

edit: we're all on the same page

j270wsm
04-02-2015, 05:56 PM

Probably at the zoo. way too fat to have just woke up

rides bike to work
04-02-2015, 09:30 PM
http://i57.tinypic.com/2zfkbp2.jpg

then he took a nap

monasheemountainman
04-02-2015, 10:20 PM
Grouse mtn grizz?

Liveforthehunt
04-02-2015, 10:38 PM
Lol zoo grizz .... rides bike to work .... being from the LML you must be downtown van :evil:

Ohwildwon
04-02-2015, 10:53 PM
Vancouver Game Farm, oops, Zoological Centre.

Any month of the year!

Rhyno
04-03-2015, 07:23 AM
i thought id leave her because she stomps through the bush like to rotty she is, and hates loud noises. she wont leave my side when she hears guns. might not be the worst things. do many people bring there hounds bear hunting?
Lots of guys do in Cranbrook, every other truck has a box in the back full of them!