PDA

View Full Version : Spring Bear Meat

SavageShooter
04-09-2007, 09:20 AM
Good day,

I plan on trying for my first spring bear this year. I was wondering when is the best time to harvest for the meat.

Are they ok now so early on in the year, and I assume somewhat thin.

Or is best to wait until May when they have had sometime to fatten up?

THanks.

Marc
04-09-2007, 12:29 PM
The funny thing is I've read a bear comes out of hibernation with about 90% of the fat he went in with. Bears will actually lose their fat in the spring running around trying to find food. I've shot a bear in June and it had no fat on him what so ever. He was lean as can be. That being said I would think that a bear that was shot later in the spring after he's been feeding on lush greens would tast better then a bear that was shot just comming out of the den, especially if it was feeding on fish all fall.

Marc.

HighCountry
04-09-2007, 05:47 PM
For me I like to harvest my bear in the spring not much fate on the meat.

mark
04-09-2007, 06:28 PM
The biggest bear ive ever shot was in early june, he had tons of fat on him, like 4 inches thick! Good eating too! Bears are mostly good for hams or sausage IMO!

willyqbc
04-10-2007, 12:26 AM
after a bear comes out of the den it needs a little time to drop its "plug" and get its digestive system working again. Once it's up and feeding on the fresh greens it will be great eating!

Chris

dave_fras
04-10-2007, 07:30 AM
im all about the bear jerky!...salty and dry!

Bigbear
04-10-2007, 09:39 AM
My son Jess Likes spring Bear Because of the less Fat, But I like a Fall bear because all summer they have been eating Berrys, grass, roots. The meat is more tender, and the Hamms are just sooo good:). A spring bear, the meat can be quite stringy, and because they eat alot of critters to begin with. I dont realy care for it. In spring they are a biggest Killers of Calf moose and Cow calfs, trying to replenish there energy and fat stores.

Mr. Dean
04-10-2007, 10:39 AM
Are they ok now so early on in the year, and I assume somewhat thin. I also have been advised that Bears don't lose that much weight over hibernation. If he denned up healthy and fat, he'll come out healthy and 'somewhat' fat and that they use these reserves for locating food sources early in the spring and tending to cub's, in the case of a female.

Or is best to wait until May when they have had sometime to fatten up?

From my research:

Bears metabolisms shut down completely (for the most part) when in hibernation. This includes bowell and urinary functions. Because of this, their bodies store up on toxins. It would be my guess, that because of these toxins, meat quality would fair better if they were permitted to roam for a while and feed for a bit, allowing for things to get back to normal, before taking one for meat.

Don't accept this post as fact. It is only a surmation of what I have read up on... I'm waiting for another month.

Phil
04-10-2007, 11:38 AM
When is the best time to get a bear for its hide and meat so you can get the best of both?

Mr. Dean
04-10-2007, 03:53 PM
Here's what I found from members.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=9766

Bigbear
04-10-2007, 10:47 PM
By the Middle to the end of May they start to Rub quite abit. The fur also gets pretty sparse in the Arm pit area. Me personaly the Hide and meat is better in Sept.:lol:

SavageShooter
04-11-2007, 08:36 AM
Here in the Kootenays spring has come quite early, but things haven't really greened up yet.

I guess I will wait till early May, and wait for the big clover patches to grow and be eaten.

THanks guys.

BANG!
04-11-2007, 08:42 AM
I drove the Coquihala at the weekend and noticed that the grass was lush and thick from about half way down to the valley floor / Hope turnoff.

It was green enough for me to plan sneaking off this Saturday for another peek at the bears.

beeker
04-11-2007, 09:23 AM
From my research:

Bears metabolisms shut down completely (for the most part) when in hibernation. This includes bowell and urinary functions. Because of this, their bodies store up on toxins. It would be my guess, that because of these toxins, meat quality would fair better if they were permitted to roam for a while and feed for a bit, allowing for things to get back to normal, before taking one for meat.

Don't accept this post as fact. It is only a surmation of what I have read up on... I'm waiting for another month.

seems logical.... I'd believe that

3kills
04-11-2007, 04:42 PM
around town its greening up nicely i havent seen the bush yet but i heard there is no fresh greens for them yet....still lots of snow up higher too...