PDA

View Full Version : Bringing a young dog to the river

Sarge789
04-01-2015, 06:10 PM
One of my hobbies is fishing and I'm hoping to bring my young dog to the river so we don't have to leave him behind.

hes 9 months and a smart pup. As a baby though he loves to run around and explore. I would bring him to a stream if it were any kind of busy, but the lady and I want to be able to have him hang with us.

his recall is pretty good but you never know.. Good river areas for fishing aren't too strong of current but there's rapids around. He loves the water and I wouldn't want him to get swept up. Not sure if he has the brain not to get wrapped up in that yet.

anyone have any experience in this? I saw a guy last time by the river with his dog and be said he just brought her out as soon as possible and she's been a beauty. Different breed though, as ours is a black lab.

suggestions are appreciated!

Sarge

BearStump
04-01-2015, 07:45 PM
Bring a blanket for the backseat of the truck.
My brothers yellow lab rolls furiously in every dead fish carcass she finds on the bank.

russm
04-01-2015, 07:58 PM
Keep it tied up or atleast have good control of it, not saying your dog would but I've had someone's dog come down the beach and go through my stuff and eat my lunch while the owner was sauntering behind it yelling at it, I'm all for bringing your pooch out with you( mine goes pretty much anywhere I can bring it) I'm just no a fan of the impolite dogs that get away with whatever their owner lets them do. Maybe try getting a 50 foot or so rope/leash so it's got room to explore but it's not roaming free getting into trouble

04-01-2015, 08:13 PM
Sarge,
if you can control him all should be good. If your taking him to the Vedder, and he's a real people dog, some can get pissed as it can be a crowded place. Also if steel hunting, he may want to run around or swim right where steelies tend to lay, you need to be able to control him for sure. I take mine from time to time but he listens, most of the time haha.
He loves getting out and i like taking him too.
CT

Big Lew
04-01-2015, 08:24 PM
You say your dog loves the water, but can it swim well?
I ask because dogs, even water dogs such as labs, have to learn to
swim confidently before allowing them to go into rivers or areas that
can confuse or impede them. A young dog just beginning to swim can
quickly panic under those circumstances and head out rather than back
to you or shore. They will also tire very quickly because of them thrashing
about.
Also, as russm mentioned, if there is others nearby, it is better to keep him
contained because young dogs, especially friendly labs, want to investigate
and say hello to everything and everyone. Some people do not like that,
especially if a dog comes over and starts pissing on their stuff. I have seen
punch-ups because of a dog pissing on a coat hanging on a chair or the side of a tent.

Wild one
04-01-2015, 08:33 PM
I don't recommend it on busy salmon location unless the dog listens well or is on a leash. Some guys are not friendly about dogs. Also if it is an area guys are fishing with roe keep close eye on your dog I have seen a dog take a baited hook and it is not good.

If you are going to locations that are not busy I say bring the dog just respect others you come across.

Sarge789
04-02-2015, 10:16 AM
You say your dog loves the water, but can it swim well?
I ask because dogs, even water dogs such as labs, have to learn to
swim confidently before allowing them to go into rivers or areas that
can confuse or impede them. A young dog just beginning to swim can
quickly panic under those circumstances and head out rather than back
to you or shore. They will also tire very quickly because of them thrashing
about.
Also, as russm mentioned, if there is others nearby, it is better to keep him
contained because young dogs, especially friendly labs, want to investigate
and say hello to everything and everyone. Some people do not like that,
especially if a dog comes over and starts pissing on their stuff. I have seen
punch-ups because of a dog pissing on a coat hanging on a chair or the side of a tent.

thats a good point. He is a good swimmer but at only 9 months I'd question his confidence and ability under pressure. Based off of comments I'd say tethering him with a long line from training would be the best bet. Not only to avoid a river rescue or hook removal (barbless at least!) but to keep him out of the holding water as curly pointed out!

adriaticum
04-02-2015, 10:29 AM
You certainly don't want him to be in the water where you and others are fishing.
If he is people and dog friendly your only real challenge is control and keeping an eye on him to make sure he doesn't stray away after a scent of some sort.
Bring a long leash and tie him off to a rock in the beginning will help the dog stick around.
And yes watching that he doesn't roll in stuff and/or swallow hooks with bait is also a big one.

cmac
04-02-2015, 11:08 AM
Depends on the dog. My youngest dog goes everywhere with me, fishing hunting you name it. She has been out to the bar on the fraser in the middle of sockeye season and is great. She has a great recall and listens very well. My older dog isn't allowed near the river during fishing season, she is a total weight chaser and drives me and every one else nuts. Try your dog out and see how it goes it might work and it might not.

Angus
04-02-2015, 12:15 PM
Sounds kinda young to be bringing to the river, but it all depends on what river and who else is around. If there's room on the bank with no one around, I say go for it.

But if your gonna be around other fishermen, or others using the river, it's a must that his recall, sit and stay are excellent, or you're gonna piss off a bunch of people.

You also have to consider the dog's safety: what's the river like? Is there lots of debris around? Any chance of the pup ingesting old gear or bait, or getting an old hook stuck in him.

I'm speaking from experience. I have a lab, and when he was young like yours, I've taken him fishing. They are a handful. You could end up spending half your time chasing him around, or get all pissed off if he's tied up and whining and barking. Either way it could wreck your enjoyment of the day.

gmcgilli66
04-07-2015, 07:53 PM
Spring freshet approaches. Water will be at its' wildest over the next few months. Keep your dog from harm.

Big Lew
04-07-2015, 08:49 PM
Spring freshet approaches. Water will be at its' wildest over the next few months. Keep your dog from harm.
Yes, with the water much faster and getting higher, it's very easy for a dog to get swept into flooded
shoreline bush and branches. I almost had a dog get hopelessly tangled in that type of scenario.....
it's an awful feeling watching helplessly as your dog struggles and you can't get to him to help.
Fortunately my dog listened and obeyed my coaching.