PDA

View Full Version : Mule deer softness?

Black Bird
04-01-2015, 03:24 PM
Hi folks,

Not sure that this is the right forum to post this in, but I have a question regarding a section of mule deer meat being a little too tender. I have been butchering my deer for a number of years at home and it has gone well. If anything, earlier on, I was ending up with meat that was a little too rubbery (not aging it properly). I harvested a mule deer last fall, and, while the backstraps are all gone and were absolutely fantastic, I had a roast that I could have cut with a spoon it was so soft. The meat was not off, just the consistency was approaching that of a pate. I cook my meat to medium rare or rare. The short of it is that my daughters were very happy, but both my wife and I were looking at our plates a little sideways. So, things different from my previous butchering experience:

1) This is the first mule deer I have ever worked with (I hunt Columbian black tail)
2) The deer hung in tempratures that got below 0C. I had probably 2 or 3 days where it went to -6C while hanging.
3) This deer tumbled about 100m down a pretty steep slope (but not too rocky) before coming to a rest. I don't believe the meat was bruised, but I can't dismiss that if someone knows better.

I will pull another roast out soon to check, but I am just wondering if anyone has come across a situation where some of the meat they have butchered has turned out normal, and at least another part of the same animal has ended up being very 'mushy'?

Cheers,
BB

BRvalley
04-01-2015, 04:22 PM
look up wet aging vs dry aging

guessing vacuum sealed?

Stone Sheep Steve
04-01-2015, 05:48 PM
Never had an issue with deer meat being too soft but have found that sheep meat doesn't hold up in the freezer. It almost turns to jelly and you can easily push your fork through it. My daughter is an absolute carnivore and she agrees with me.

M.Dean
04-02-2015, 07:53 PM
My guess would be it's steamed, not cooked? Lots of times it really helps to let the roast "Set" for 10 minutes or so before cutting it, seen that on a cooking show!!! That allows the meat to set up so it cuts nicely, and keeps it from going "Mushie"! That could be the problem?

j270wsm
04-02-2015, 09:08 PM
Friend of mine doesn't age his meat in a cooler. He puts it directly into the freezer for 1.5-2 months. Then thaws it enough to butcher and re freezes it. Says its supposed to be the same as hanging it in a cooler for ~ 20 days. Apparently his dad has done it that way for 50yrs and never had any issues with their meat.

Don't know why your roast was mushy......???