PDA

View Full Version : New hunter needs advice on where to go for mule deer

Nad
04-01-2015, 03:13 PM
I recently got my licence and firearms and am planning a fall hunting trip. I appreciate advice on where to go for mule deer within 3 hours or so from Vancouver.

monasheemountainman
04-01-2015, 03:21 PM
Vancouver island

itsy bitsy xj
04-01-2015, 03:54 PM
Head up the Coq

plumberjustin
04-01-2015, 04:00 PM
Lots of deer all over this fine province. Pick an area in the backroads mapbook and explore all summer. By fall you'll know your area. I would suggest headin to Kamloops, Cache Creek or anywhere in between.

bigredchev
04-01-2015, 04:27 PM
princeton is always a good bet. use you boots not the skinny pedal

04-01-2015, 04:36 PM
Boston Bar, Hope Skagit, Merritt, Cache Crick a bit further , Princeton. Go Bear hunting thins spring and have a look.

Have fun good luck

CT

Bugle M In
04-01-2015, 05:15 PM
merit.............

The Hermit
04-01-2015, 05:19 PM
Vancouver island

LOL He is only kidding about Vancouver Island... very few little tiny black tailed deer left on the rock... best head to the Okanagan! Lots of white tail there too!

Sarge789
04-01-2015, 05:48 PM
There's lots of areas for mule. Best to go off what some of these folks say and then google earth the area. Research your species environments and look for those features. We went to Christian valley last year and it was a nice area to hunt. Thompson region is pretty high pressure but you might get some luck around merit if you go early.

Next time you see someone post a thread like this comment what you've learned and the cycle of education goes on to the next wave of hunters.

good luck

monasheemountainman
04-01-2015, 05:53 PM
LOL He is only kidding about Vancouver Island... very few little tiny black tailed deer left on the rock... best head to the Okanagan! Lots of white tail there too!
Haha ya ok i was and the op is welcome here what's one more coastal cowboy cruising around not shooting any deer!!! Hahaha

OutWest
04-01-2015, 06:24 PM

But Aggie says the whitetail doe season killed them off?

Wild one
04-01-2015, 08:25 PM
Head east or north east of Vancouver for 3 hrs and you will be in mule deer country. Something to consider limiting your self to 3 hrs is the pressure can be higher in many areas this close to Vancouver do to the large population of people in the lower mainland.

Your drive time will get you to Princeton, Boston bar, and south of the summit on hwy 5. All 3 are well known heavily hunted areas yes you can get a deer in any of these locations but you will have lots of company

RadHimself
04-02-2015, 08:07 AM
my home range is 3-12.....

pretty entertaining seeing these lower mainlanders rolling around in their trucks wearing $12-1500 worth of sitka gear.

use your tools, google earth, backroads map book. Find an area that looks promising. take a weekend and go exploring on foot with a camera a hatchet and some flagging tape. Mark places u like with gps if u have one... Of u dont, gotta use ur grandpas gps... Bthe tape and hatchet.

explore, dont let yourself miss out on the best part of hunting.... Being outside

quarterman
04-04-2015, 01:24 PM
anywhere but not in your living room. Get out and start exploring