PDA

View Full Version : How quiet does an arrow fly?

mgnm300
04-01-2015, 02:52 PM
Ever wonder how quiet an arrow flies? I think you'll be surprised just as i was. Could explain why an animal might jump sometimes before being hit.
Just an observation.
Hoping to bag me a turkey and a bear this spring with the bow.

https://youtu.be/h-86LgbWyF8

J_T
04-01-2015, 02:58 PM
Yup, keep your distances short if your target has ears, eyes and a brain.

Brez
04-01-2015, 03:18 PM
Yup, keep your distances short if your target has ears, eyes and a brain.
......or long. Years ago, we found that at 45 - 50dys, the deer weren't spooked by the sound and would often stand there. I've had deer jump my arrow at less that 20 yds. - got the deer had turned 180 degrees and I didn't see it. Only realized it after retrieving the deer. By the way, it's not the arrow noise that spooks animals

The Hermit
04-01-2015, 05:23 PM
Those arrows were pretty quiet actually. They had field point on them. Arrows with broad heads are ALOT louder.

Ambush
04-01-2015, 07:52 PM
I believe Brez has the other side of the coin. Deer seem to be the worst "duckers". I find that most animals, and deer in particular, have a zone. If they detect or even suspect something within that zone, they are gone! Instinct kicks in. Outside of that zone, they become alert and ready to take flight but are more apt to check it out before taking off. Essentially trading instinct for thought process. For deer, I personally think the ideal range is about thirty yards.

And it is the noise of the bow that triggers them, not the sound of the arrow coming.

Wild one
04-01-2015, 08:38 PM
I believe Brez has the other side of the coin. Deer seem to be the worst "duckers". I find that most animals, and deer in particular, have a zone. If they detect or even suspect something within that zone, they are gone! Instinct kicks in. Outside of that zone, they become alert and ready to take flight but are more apt to check it out before taking off. Essentially trading instinct for thought process. For deer, I personally think the ideal range is about thirty yards.

And it is the noise of the bow that triggers them, not the sound of the arrow coming.

I agree with what you say only thing I will add is if the deer is alert they will react at any distance in my opinion. If the deer is calm before the shot some will stand still in shock if you miss unless your arrow hits a rock or tree.

aggiehunter
04-01-2015, 08:41 PM
even thought I didn't believe it I took video of a wt dropping from my arrow at 11 yards...clean miss....

Sofa King
04-01-2015, 10:05 PM
is it true that deer usually duck the shot?

and yeah, it's the noise from the bow that scares them.
that bow seemed fairly quiet when the camera was right beside him.
but it sounded crazy loud when the camera was behind the target, where the deer would be.
hmmm.

greybark
04-01-2015, 10:47 PM
Usually Deer in particular White Tailed deer will react to frequencies of Modern bows by instintively crouching to jump out and away in the instintive flight sequence . T
However the different frequencies of Traditional bow being not as sharp or emphatic causes the Deer to suddenly spin around on their hind legs and flee along the so called safe path just used .
Having said that the newer Modern bows are very quite and the plastic vanes are very quite but string noise prevails , The Trad bows on the other hand can also be very quite but the feathered arrows along with that string noise are very noisy .
I suspect the high frequency of the string itself swiching through the air may be the main culprit .
Cheers.

For Sofa King , Deer dont duck the arrow but at a loud to them threatoning noise instintivley crouch to initiate the first jumping motion of flight . Timing of the fast Compound launched arrow luckly coinsides with that crouch . Uaually the slower launched Trad arrow has a lesser noise impact and Deer will just spin back on their hind legs to go back to the safe route behind them . This arrow slices thru the air where their vitails were . LOL

Pete
04-02-2015, 05:08 AM
Not so much the noise of the arrow flight but rather the sound of the string on release. The speed of sound is more that double the speed of your arrow!

mgnm300
04-02-2015, 07:18 AM
All interesting answers, but i have wondered that deer do have a keen sense of hearing and yes they might hear the release of the bow but they hear twigs snapping all the time,think they jump at every little sound or run if it,s too close or it might sound unnatural?
Or do you think they might be reacting if they hear something coming right at them,i.e. the arrow pushing the air in flight?

J_T
04-02-2015, 07:23 AM
All interesting answers, but i have wondered that deer do have a keen sense of hearing and yes they might hear the release of the bow but they hear twigs snapping all the time,think they jump at every little sound or run if it,s too close or it might sound unnatural?
Or do you think they might be reacting if they hear something coming right at them,i.e. the arrow pushing the air in flight?
As Greybark says, depending on your set up, there is risk to different noises. A traditional bow, might have larger feathers and they make noise in flight. A compound makes most of the noise on release.
But, at close range, those WT's hear your shoulder clunk when you draw back, your heart beat if you have your mouth open and see your eyes blink if they have an eye in your direction. That's what makes it all so worthwhile.

I do agree with the comment that under 25 yards is different than over 25 yards.

Aim low....

Ron.C
04-02-2015, 07:46 AM
Agree that your bow and gear will most likely produce more noise that can spoil the opportunity than your arrow with a compound. If you want to know what your arrow sounds like "albeit with with human ears", throw a video camera about 10 inches under a target and take a shot at 10, 15, 20 yards. It may give you some appreciation of how loud your bow/gear actually is.

Brez
04-02-2015, 07:53 AM
Usually Deer in particular White Tailed deer will react to frequencies of Modern bows by instintively crouching to jump out and away in the instintive flight sequence . T
However the different frequencies of Traditional bow being not as sharp or emphatic causes the Deer to suddenly spin around on their hind legs and flee along the so called safe path just used .
Having said that the newer Modern bows are very quite and the plastic vanes are very quite but string noise prevails , The Trad bows on the other hand can also be very quite but the feathered arrows along with that string noise are very noisy .
I suspect the high frequency of the string itself swiching through the air may be the main culprit .
Cheers.

For Sofa King , Deer dont duck the arrow but at a loud to them threatoning noise instintivley crouch to initiate the first jumping motion of flight . Timing of the fast Compound launched arrow luckly coinsides with that crouch . Uaually the slower launched Trad arrow has a lesser noise impact and Deer will just spin back on their hind legs to go back to the safe route behind them . This arrow slices thru the air where their vitails were . LOL

you nailed it, Greybark.
The sound a bow makes, especially a compound is unusual to the deer/animals and that is why they spook. It's not like a twig breaking. Think about how you will wake up in the middle of the night because of an unusual noise in or around the house. You have become accustomed to the normal noises - furnace, refrigerator, sirens, etc., - but a creaking floor will awaken you from a dead sleep because it's unusual.

tomahawk
04-02-2015, 08:27 AM
More sound concerns with the arrow release noise from the bow then the arrow itself.

Wild one
04-02-2015, 08:30 AM
One I believe many over look is the movement and sound of the hunter drawing the bow(clothing and arrow sliding on the rest). In my opinion This has the ability to get the deers attention before the arrows is released giving extra time to trigger the flight response.

In the end deer ducking an arrow is a proven possibility and have experienced it once myself. In my opinion bowhunters just need to keep to the simple principle of bowhunting that has been around for along time.

Try to make your shot when the animal is head down or facing away as it helps cut down the animals reaction time. Anytime you let your arrow go at an alert deer that knows you are there ducking/move is a possibility no matter the distance and the noise level of your bow/arrow.

J_T
04-02-2015, 11:53 AM
Agree that your bow and gear will most likely produce more noise that can spoil the opportunity than your arrow with a compound. If you want to know what your arrow sounds like "albeit with with human ears", throw a video camera about 10 inches under a target and take a shot at 10, 15, 20 yards. It may give you some appreciation of how loud your bow/gear actually is.
Actually, the best way I found to hear how much noise an arrow makes was to lay in a ditch in front of the target while my brother shot arrows in to the target. You can hear them coming.

Wild one
04-02-2015, 12:31 PM
Actually, the best way I found to hear how much noise an arrow makes was to lay in a ditch in front of the target while my brother shot arrows in to the target. You can hear them coming.

Don't sit up

I am sorry JT but I just had one of those hold my beer and watch this visions run through my head

Awishanew
04-02-2015, 12:38 PM
I have put my video camera under the target at 20yds. The bow was surprisingly quiet but you definetly hear the arrow coming at the target. That was with a selfbow.

The Hermit
04-03-2015, 11:41 PM
Stand 2/3 the way to the target and 30' off to the side and have someone shoot your bow... you hear the bow but you will definitely hear an arrow with a broadhead on it! I couldn't believe how loud they can be.

greybark
04-04-2015, 09:29 AM
Feathers are mostly responsible for the "incoming noise" . Banana cut is loudest followed by Shield and then Parabolic .
I have reduced my feathers from 5 to 4 in with no loss of arrow control , slight less drop at further distances and (not confirmed) less arrow noise ....( have to get J_T in a ditch and Bill behind a tree) LOL
Going to low profile may further reduce flight noise but at risk of quick arrow stabilization
Cheers

aggiehunter
04-04-2015, 10:45 PM
Hey Greybark/pinwheeler...I doubt any of those critters heard your arrow.....