PDA

View Full Version : Kuiu gear attack pants vs guide pants / jackets

leadpillproductions
03-31-2015, 10:16 PM
Like to here from guys what they figure would be a better gear set up for aug sheep hunt , I like the idea of Tiburon set up but im only going to be taking a one camo set up . And I fear the Tiburon stuff not enough if weather is crappy

teelt
03-31-2015, 10:46 PM
Hey. I own Sitka ascent pants and love them. They are a little warm but i have beat them and they are still great. I do like on kuiu's pants the hip zips which is on the tiburon and the attack. I would go with the attack pants over the tiburon as the tiburon are just too breathable for me in a mountain hunt. I have the tiburon shorts and their great but I'd rather something a little more protective from wind and weather while being in the mountains. Just my two cents.

Also so if you want to check out awesome wet weather gear. Even though it's a little heavy check out Swazi gear. Made in New Zealand. Buddy of mine swears by it and I know lots with it. I'll be looking at getting the Tahr jacket.

604ksmith
03-31-2015, 10:46 PM
I don't own the Tiburon gear, but I have quite a bit of Kuiu including the guide and chugach line-ups. I would certainly opt for the guide.

While it's not a summer weight material by any means, it's also not unbearable. With all the air vents open, I was able to withstand 30 degree mid-summer scouting trips while wearing a 9 inch boot, guide pants, and their 140 weight long sleeve with no issues. What grief the guide pants may give you during the heat of the day, it will more than make up for during your early mornings and late nights. Also, while the guide series isn't waterproof, it will get you through a decent rain on your way to finding cover. It's my go to option for any weather. It's not the best for any one climate, but it will handle all climates within reason. I think the Tiburon is only for wishful thinkers.

mddat
04-01-2015, 05:12 AM
I have both the guide and attacks and would definitely go with the attacks. Best pant I have ever owned. I think the guides might be too warm. A good base layer under the attacks would be plenty if it got cold.

Stone Sheep Steve
04-01-2015, 05:13 AM
I use attacks for early season sheep hunts. Would no want to go with anything heavier. Add a pair of long johns if it gets cold. I also pack a pair of lightweight zip off pants for when it get hot. They weigh next-to-nothing.

leadpillproductions
04-01-2015, 05:34 AM
What are you using for a jacket when u sheep hunt early
I use attacks for early season sheep hunts. Would no want to go with anything heavier. Add a pair of long johns if it gets cold. I also pack a pair of lightweight zip off pants for when it get hot. They weigh next-to-nothing.

BiG Boar
04-01-2015, 06:19 AM
the guide line is a waste of money in my opinion. I own the guide and the attack, I hardly use the guide.

SR80
04-01-2015, 06:41 AM
yah definitely don't take guide pants on an august sheep hunt....way too warm. You'll come back with cut offs!

300rum700
04-01-2015, 06:41 AM
I have both attack and Tiburon pants, I run a little on the hot side so even for a late September sheep hunt I still take the Tiburons. I take on any given hunt Chugach rain gear, Guide Jacket, super down top and bottom and Merino top and bottom, the only thing that changes is the amount of base layers I take.

swampthing
04-01-2015, 06:43 AM
I have a couple days in my new attacks and they seem pretty versatile.

leadpillproductions
04-02-2015, 10:51 PM
I like the tiburons just with the wind up top of mnts might be to lite , think ill go with the attack set up

Stone Sheep Steve
04-03-2015, 06:23 AM
I like the tiburons just with the wind up top of mnts might be to lite , think ill go with the attack set up

If they made thiburons with zip-offs I'd consider them as my second pair to take on a backpack trip.

SR80
04-03-2015, 07:17 AM
Or just spend a few more bucks and get sitka timberlines...way better pant..:grin:

Rackmastr
04-03-2015, 08:12 AM
For an early season hunt I end up taking two pairs....sounds funny but what I do is bring a pair of 'all-around' mountain pants that can handle the bulk of the hunt. I also end up wearing a pair (and find myself wearing them often) of lightweight zip-off pants so I have a pair of shorts with the ability to have pants as well. I aim for something nice and light so it doesn't take up room and yet still gives me flexibility of having pants along.

The Attack pants from KUIU are nice, as are MEC Ferrata, Sitka Ascent or Mountain Pants, Arcteryx, or the First-Light Kababs (sp?)

GrizzlyAdams
04-06-2015, 11:38 AM
I have both attack and Tiburon pants, I run a little on the hot side so even for a late September sheep hunt I still take the Tiburons. I take on any given hunt Chugach rain gear, Guide Jacket, super down top and bottom and Merino top and bottom, the only thing that changes is the amount of base layers I take.

I'm with you on this one