PDA

View Full Version : Versa Max why not?

Cdn-Redneck
03-31-2015, 07:29 PM
I originally posted this in the gun talk section but nobody wanted to talk about it there so I will repost it here. I have been looking at a versa max lately, I know the early runs of this gun had some issues but apparently the latest one have been very good. I am most interested in the "waterfowl pro" model. I have read thru a lot of the thread on shotgun world. Who has them and how have they been. It would be a waterfowl only gun. Buddies hunt with A400's and they are nice and may just go that way when the time comes. Just looking at another option the things they dislike about their guns are different on the versamax. Currently shooting a Benelli supernova which I like but now want a quality semi auto.

pnbrock
03-31-2015, 07:38 PM
keep the supernova we need the extra guy to increase our bag limit.the last thing we want is you hitting ducks.

Cdn-Redneck
03-31-2015, 07:45 PM
Just trying to keep up. Then I can make 3 crappy shots instead of 2.

Foxton Gundogs
03-31-2015, 09:08 PM
I originally posted this in the gun talk section but nobody wanted to talk about it there so I will repost it here. I have been looking at a versa max lately, I know the early runs of this gun had some issues but apparently the latest one have been very good. I am most interested in the "waterfowl pro" model. I have read thru a lot of the thread on shotgun world. Who has them and how have they been. It would be a waterfowl only gun. Buddies hunt with A400's and they are nice and may just go that way when the time comes. Just looking at another option the things they dislike about their guns are different on the versamax. Currently shooting a Benelli supernova which I like but now want a quality semi auto.

A300 Xrtrema with KO or Winchester SXIII($1200 range) stay far away from Remington S/As

Tīɡ
03-31-2015, 09:30 PM
A300 Xrtrema with KO or Winchester SXIII($1200 range) stay far away from Remington S/As

Was considering a versa max a while ago too, why do you say to stay away from the remmy semi-autos?

Dutch Ppoacher
03-31-2015, 09:49 PM
I read all that info from the past as well and heard the new has improved. Not much of a following in my area for them. One on gun nutz for +\- 750$ if i remember correct.
Can always buy a used gun and try it. Sell it for the same price if its not your thing!

Curtis

keoke
03-31-2015, 09:57 PM
They are heavy by todays standard for a semi shoty.

Foxton Gundogs
04-01-2015, 08:12 AM
Was considering a versa max a while ago too, why do you say to stay away from the remmy semi-autos?
I have known 3 guys who shoot them they have been back for warranty more than they have been in the field, one fellow traded his in after 4 trips to the warranty depot(up to 4 months turn around) before he got a box of shells fired. Both my self and several partners use Beretta Xtrema 391s and A300(be sure to get the 3.5" with KO) we are HARD on shotguns shooting cases of shells in a season in all conditions salt water to desert, rain shine -20 and snow. I know of 1 failure in all that time and believe we don't baby our guns. The A400 is a good gun but I have had reports of the in stock recoil system pinching cheeks if the gun is not mounted right and the A300 gives you every bit as good a shotgun for $600 less. In the end buy what you want but guns in the shop don't kill birds in the marsh.

Ranger95
04-01-2015, 08:52 AM
SBEII - I know a guy in Saskatchewan who has put more shot through his SBEII in five years, than most water fowlers would in two lifetimes, and he has never had a problem with it - apart from replacing the firing pin because he plain wore it out!

Inertia! - Inertia guns keep you shooting - when the gas stops blowing others back!

Foxton Gundogs
04-01-2015, 09:13 AM
"Inertia! - Inertia guns keep you shooting - when the gas stops blowing others back!"

Good one R95, I almost forgot it was April 1st Lol :wink:
Well we have 2 SBEs in our group and both have been in for warrantee and still do not cycle all shells well. I can say out Berretta's take a licking and keep on ticking. Fowl and I shoots LOTS in all weather and none of our Berettas have every let us down, filled with mud, dust, snow or water. I am not saying SBEs aren't good guns (If I couldn't have a Beretta or a SX2or3 I'd own one)but I assure you the Gas system in Berettas do not fail and the inertia system is not the end all and the be all.

Ranger95
04-01-2015, 09:23 AM
"Inertia! - Inertia guns keep you shooting - when the gas stops blowing others back!"

Good one R95, I almost forgot it was April 1st Lol :wink:
Well we have 2 SBEs in our group and both have been in for warrantee and still do not cycle all shells well. I can say out Berretta's take a licking and keep on ticking. Fowl and I shoots LOTS in all weather and none of our Berettas have every let us down, filled with mud, dust, snow or water. I am not saying SBEs aren't good guns (If I couldn't have a Beretta or a SX2or3 I'd own one)but I assure you the Gas system in Berettas do not fail and the inertia system is not the end all and the be all.

Want to to sell those SBE's Jim? I know somebody who is looking for a "lefty" if you have it.

widger
04-01-2015, 09:26 AM
I hunt in Sask every fall and we put through a couple of cases each through our guns. One of the guys bought a Versa Max last year and had nothing but trouble with that gun. He did mention that it had already been into Remington once before the trip and it was still giving him trouble. Now granted this is just one gun in one hunting situation, but in the last 12 years the only guns that have given our group trouble seem to all have been Remington's. The first year I went I took two Remington's and sure enough the ejector pin on my 11-87 flew off into the snow. Single shot only! As soon as I got home I purchased a new Beretta Xtrema 391 and have not had any issues. Most of our group uses Beretta's and issues are rare. Good guns but if given the choice I would probably steer clear of Remington's.

Foxton Gundogs
04-01-2015, 09:34 AM
They are not mine just a couple of guys who shoot in our circle. Neither are left handed though but next time they get a hangup, I'll give them your number. Probably wont have to wait to long once the new season starts lmao

Ranger95
04-01-2015, 10:13 AM
They are not mine just a couple of guys who shoot in our circle. Neither are left handed though but next time they get a hangup, I'll give them your number. Probably wont have to wait to long once the new season starts lmao

Thats great Jim - send them my way please - everyone we shoot with use either - SBE11's or Browning A5's (or one of the other inertia guns), so we will welcome for those two into our group - might even trade you some of the old "gas stinkers" with their "O rings" and things, if you want.

Foxton Gundogs
04-01-2015, 10:24 AM
Oh I. sure if they sell they will be looking for new Berettas I think they will have learned their lessons lol

FirePower
04-01-2015, 11:03 AM
I hunt in Sask every fall and we put through a couple of cases each through our guns. One of the guys bought a Versa Max last year and had nothing but trouble with that gun. He did mention that it had already been into Remington once before the trip and it was still giving him trouble. Now granted this is just one gun in one hunting situation, but in the last 12 years the only guns that have given our group trouble seem to all have been Remington's. The first year I went I took two Remington's and sure enough the ejector pin on my 11-87 flew off into the snow. Single shot only! As soon as I got home I purchased a new Beretta Xtrema 391 and have not had any issues. Most of our group uses Beretta's and issues are rare. Good guns but if given the choice I would probably steer clear of Remington's.

I must concur whole heartedly, I am a strong believer in the adage "Those that can shoot a Baretta, those that can't berate them" :mrgreen:

Cdn-Redneck
04-01-2015, 03:30 PM
I guess I will have to rethink this idea. I know the A400 works I have seen them and have fired a couple shots. From what I had read the newest versamax was reliable. I have kind of narrowed my choice down to these two. The A400 has always been in front just trying to here some different opinions.

Dutch Ppoacher
04-01-2015, 10:33 PM
I do believe the SBE2 and the A400 are nice semi's but i wouldn't pass by a browning. Maxus and silver hunters are great guns aswell. There are problems with every gun manufacture but when you get a good one keep it clean and shoot it shoot it shoot it!

curtis

Foxton Gundogs
04-02-2015, 08:40 AM
I shoot a Browing Gold 10 and it works great, same action and system as the Winchester SX2/3, another good gun in the same $ range as the A300 Xtreema. I own(d) and shot all 3 but given my choice for reliability and ease of shooting I would take a 391 or A300 Xtreema hands down

fowl language
04-02-2015, 04:13 PM
I will put my stamp of approval behind the extrema 2 or the super x 3 I in no way are saying other guns do not shoot as well, just my experience...fowl

lorneparker1
04-02-2015, 04:31 PM
For what its worth. i bought my first semi ever this year half way through the a season, a Browning silver and put 2 cases through it and never had a single issue

f350ps
04-03-2015, 12:28 AM
I haven't shot near as much as most of the legends but I've learned a few things over the years, all guns will have problems, the ones with the most moving parts will have more than guns with less! Pretty simple concept really, autos will give ya more grief than pumps and pumps more than break actions! I switched to an auto for punt shooting about 5 years ago and have had a couple problems whereas I shot 870's for about 35 years and rarely had a problem. K

field marshal
04-05-2015, 01:04 PM
Get yourself a Franchi Affinity. Grandson has been using his for 3 yrs. more than a thousand rounds thru it with no issues.
P.S. He is not easy on equipment!!!!!!-----Cheers----Field Marshal.

Dutch Ppoacher
04-06-2015, 11:09 AM
There are used browning, beretta's and benelli's on gunnutz everyday or wk, confirm your price point and buy one. You'll probably be happy with what ever you end up with.
If your a warranty kind of guy buy a new one, but i have found most shops are hesitant to help you once its been fired!

Cdn-Redneck
04-06-2015, 11:18 AM
There are used browning, beretta's and benelli's on gunnutz everyday or wk, confirm your price point and buy one. You'll probably be happy with what ever you end up with.
If your a warranty kind of guy buy a new one, but i have found most shops are hesitant to help you once its been fired!
This will be the route I probably go, kind of like to have a warranty just have to see the price difference. A lot of stuff on CGN guys ask near new prices.

Foxton Gundogs
04-07-2015, 11:51 AM
There was a good looking camo 391 Xtreema II on there a week or so ago for $1200. Better gun than the A400 with a few more 'options' than the A300, I would have grabbed it if I was looking for another Waterfowl gun

Cdn-Redneck
04-07-2015, 04:51 PM
I seen it I think it sold. The guy originally wanted $1700 if it is the one I am thinking. Still a dollar short yet.

Dutch Ppoacher
04-07-2015, 09:41 PM
Just dont rush, watch prices for a while, get a feeling for a fair average used price and offer accordinly. Some ppl think they are selling gold but some are!
If there's less then a case of trap threw a gun it will still be like new! Minus tax's to a couple hundred buck if fair for next to new.
Older beat up guns you got to get a feel for.

Cdn-Redneck
04-08-2015, 06:52 PM
I am in no hurry. I have some side jobs that will go towards it hopefully in a couple months I will have my poop in a group.

riflebuilder
04-08-2015, 07:10 PM
i shoot an older 11-87 Remie and have put thousands of rounds threw it with out a problem. Not sure about the new onea
s but pretty happy with what I have.

t

wingmaster
04-25-2015, 08:03 PM
Extrema 2 just up on CGN for $1150. Should be a good but for anyone looking

FirePower
04-26-2015, 07:37 PM
I just enquired it does not have Kick-off, you can buy an A300 Xtreema for that price new.

wingmaster
04-26-2015, 10:03 PM
A300extrema=/=a391xtrema2

no aqua coating finish and last I looked I couldn't find an a300xtrema below 1300$. It's gone up quite a bit since last summer.

This ones cheaper than the one foxton suggested picking up a few posts back. someone will be more than pleased to pick it up. Just thought I'd let guys around here have a shot at it as these don't tend to stick around long.

FirePower
04-27-2015, 08:44 AM
A300extrema=/=a391xtrema2

no aqua coating finish and last I looked I couldn't find an a300xtrema below 1300$. It's gone up quite a bit since last summer.

This ones cheaper than the one foxton suggested picking up a few posts back. someone will be more than pleased to pick it up. Just thought I'd let guys around here have a shot at it as these don't tend to stick around long.
But as I stated no Kickoff which is over $400 Canadian to install. A friend of mine picked up an A300 Xtreema with Kickoff from Wholesale Sport at the end of the season for just under $1200. In my opinion so called Aqua Coating is just a ploy. If you take care of your guns there is really no need for it, we shot wood stocks and blued barrels for years and those who maintained theirs had no issues. The Kick Off feature on the other hand is much more valuable, and had the 391 you speak of had it I would be in full agreement with you.

Foxton Gundogs
04-27-2015, 10:29 AM

I actually had a deal pending on this shotgun until I learned there was no kickoff. I agree with FP that the aquacoat is just window dressing. I have a A300 and a 391 both Xtreemas with KO, believe it when I say there is not much difference between the 2 and the kickoff is definitely a must for serious waterfowlers. I would definitely go for a new A300 Xtreema with KO over a used 391 without.

ACB
04-29-2015, 11:40 AM
I have a 3' 12ga. vinci and a 20ga. Beretta A400 explor both are great shotguns. The Berreta A400 weighs just over 5lbs. no problem packing it all day in the coulees of southern Alta. for upland birds never jammed. The Vinci 's never refused a shotgun shell either but I learned my lesson with the Inertia system with a Stoeger 2000 12ga. When I first got it just like everybody else I had to shoot it. Went and shot some clays with target loads. They will try to tell you that the Inertia spring doesn't have memory but that's the only thing that can explain that after 4-5 boxes of target loads it wouldn't cycle heavy loads, became a single shot. After many Emails with Stoeger finally they sent me a new Inertia spring. Put 5-6 boxes of heavy loads Kents, Feds, Rems, Wins, the only ones it didn't like were Scores but thats OK the Vinci eats them and spits them out with no problem so I didn't waste my money on the Scores. So You SBE11 guys if you are having a problem with them not cycling bug Benelli for a new Inertia spring could solve cycling problems. As for 3.5" compared to 3" you just have to suck them in a little closer with either your calling or decoying so you don't need 3.5" with kickoff. The guns and the shells are cheaper in 3" and the birds are just as dead.

Foxton Gundogs
04-30-2015, 01:48 PM
Score shells are the new "Cheap Reds" they pattern great in most guns and no one I know has any cycling problems from Berettas through Benellis, Winchester, Browning, Weatherby and Stoeger, that's not to say a particular gun can't have issues but I have yet to see any. As for 3.5", if you have it you don't have to use it but it's pretty hard to use it when you don't. We like it for late season Kevlar feathered birds. We load so our first 2 shots are 3" with a 3.5" as our 3rd shot. That way when that hard hit bird is beating a path out of Dodge, that 3rd Hail Mary shot can make all the difference in the world between a bird in the bag and one that dies on the marsh someplace. Now Kickoff IMO is a must for serious waterfowlers especially those with any kind of shoulder issues. If you shoot the odd weekend and are young and tough then maybe you don't "need" it but I can tell you when you shoot multiple days week in and week out through our long season it's a must for sure, comfort is the key to a long and happy waterfowl "career".

Cdn-Redneck
04-30-2015, 03:30 PM
3.5" is a must for me. Went brant hunting this year and they are a tough bird and they land where they want in your decoys which may be on the edge of. 3" range so you need the extra poop in those cases as well this year we had some Canada's passing by needed 3.5" to reach them, they had no interest in our duck decoys, they were passing by.

FirePower
04-30-2015, 04:24 PM
3 and 1/2 inch shells are not an excuse to sky bust, if you ca not kill them with 3 inch you really shouldn't be shooting at them with 3 and 1/2 inch. Just my oppinion.

Ranger95
05-02-2015, 09:56 AM
It has been said that one picture is worth a thousand words....

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b535/privateaffair/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-05/2165FD7B-EEFD-4F57-8653-791840D278FE_zpsnjxy6ppy.jpg (http://s1290.photobucket.com/user/privateaffair/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-05/2165FD7B-EEFD-4F57-8653-791840D278FE_zpsnjxy6ppy.jpg.html)

Well try two pictures.........

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b535/privateaffair/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-05/CA019B94-3C7D-42D9-8D46-DF59C237272D_zpswuggs4nr.jpg (http://s1290.photobucket.com/user/privateaffair/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-05/CA019B94-3C7D-42D9-8D46-DF59C237272D_zpswuggs4nr.jpg.html)

Foxton Gundogs
05-02-2015, 02:47 PM
Or 5 lol. Brought to you courtesy of Xtrema 2 and Score shot shells.
http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n499/FoxtonGundogs/Hunting%202014/OK20Falls20Sun.jpg (http://s1136.photobucket.com/user/FoxtonGundogs/media/Hunting%202014/OK20Falls20Sun.jpg.html)
http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n499/FoxtonGundogs/Hunting%202014/608e8661-b678-4a3a-a5b1-f590c933da05.jpg (http://s1136.photobucket.com/user/FoxtonGundogs/media/Hunting%202014/608e8661-b678-4a3a-a5b1-f590c933da05.jpg.html)
http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n499/FoxtonGundogs/hunting%202013/9d046cf0-6729-45b8-8465-e68b4dea247b.jpg (http://s1136.photobucket.com/user/FoxtonGundogs/media/hunting%202013/9d046cf0-6729-45b8-8465-e68b4dea247b.jpg.html)
http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n499/FoxtonGundogs/hunting%202013/569.jpg (http://s1136.photobucket.com/user/FoxtonGundogs/media/hunting%202013/569.jpg.html)
http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n499/FoxtonGundogs/1a3.jpg (http://s1136.photobucket.com/user/FoxtonGundogs/media/1a3.jpg.html)

Andrewh
05-03-2015, 09:32 PM
3.5" is a must for me. Went brant hunting this year and they are a tough bird and they land where they want in your decoys which may be on the edge of. 3" range so you need the extra poop in those cases as well this year we had some Canada's passing by needed 3.5" to reach them, they had no interest in our duck decoys, they were passing by.

As far as I know 3" and 3.5" that have the same muzzle velocity will have the same effective range provided you are shooting the same weight pellets.

3.5" just have more pellets for guys that can't shoot straight:-P

Cdn-Redneck
08-14-2015, 03:29 PM
Hurry up opening day. I picked up an A400 and need to go shoot it.

Lone Goat Creek
09-15-2015, 04:40 PM
I bought the Versa Max Waterfowler Pro, and my buddy bought the A400 ... I guess we'll find out, but I hope we all made the right decision :-)

Cdn-Redneck
09-15-2015, 07:55 PM
Looking forward to hearing the comparison

Foxton Gundogs
09-15-2015, 10:24 PM

No need to wait Beretta hands down

LeverActionJunkie
09-17-2015, 08:04 AM
I bought the Versa Max Waterfowler Pro, and my buddy bought the A400 ... I guess we'll find out, but I hope we all made the right decision :-)

Where did you find your waterfowl pro? Was it local? I've been looking and don't see many close by.

bukwild
09-17-2015, 08:42 AM
I have had the waterfowler for two years now and have not had a single issue.

Foxton Gundogs
09-17-2015, 09:42 AM
On a recent goose hunt one of our crew spent more time unjamming his than he did shooting it. He's in the market for a Beretta now.

Lozzie
09-18-2015, 11:04 PM
I'm rocking Benelli, wouldn't call myself a pro waterfowler by any stretch but I never had a problem with the Nova and when a buddy needed to unload his Vinci I just couldn't say no. I just wait until the old guys are done shooting then knock them birds down at 60 yards so they know who's bird it is. Had no troubles with Benelli.

okas
10-29-2015, 09:40 PM
versa max rem.. there is a 900$ one and a1500$ one ... if looking used... i bought a used 1500$ the other day for 800 like new . to bad i get shoulder surgery in Nov...

32-40win
11-07-2015, 03:29 PM
Read enough waterfowling stuff and you will see issues with all the guns, no matter what the brand. SBE's have to be run fairly dry in colder weather, a Wolff spring set is the way to go once the original gives up. One fella in our group had trouble with the ejector retaining pin bending and breaking on his Extrema. He also has a Super Vinci, says he doesn't shoot it as well as the Beretta. Me, I have an SBEII, no issues with it, but, have switched to using SXS's instead for 98% of my shooting. The SBE only comes out when snows are circling and hanging in the wind, in the later AM period. The 3" in the SXS works well otherwise. The bulk of what I have seen would suggest that in the basement level guns the Stoger M3000 & 3500 work well, the Franchi, the Weatherby PA-08 also does. The old Stoeger M2000 and 2500(?) were apparently pretty bad, same stuff for the later 1187's, and even the 870's. Maxus and SX3 are another price point gun that for the most part work pretty well from what I have seen. The new A5 is perhaps a bit new, to really get a good picture on it yet. The one constant seems to be that people like the recoil reduction of the gas-ops over the inertia guns, which puts Beretta and Browning/Win/Rem in the running in that regard for a lot of people.
Can't really be a fair judge of that part of it, as recoil from 1-3/8oz 3-1/2's out of the Benelli doesn't bother me, didn't with an 870 I had either. I shoot 3" 1-1/4oz out of my SXS without a recoil pad, wood buttplate, no issues.

Cdn-Redneck
11-07-2015, 03:48 PM
I ended up getting an A400 and so far it has been great. Out today in the pouring rain it was muddy and it just kept on shooting. I cleaned it up and ready to go again.

180grainer
11-07-2015, 04:54 PM
Haven't seriously hunted waterfowl in about 20 years. But it sure seems a lot of guys won't use anything but semi's. Back in the day they were rare to see. Whatever happened to the side by side or pump guns anyway. Generally more reliable and cheaper to buy. I have a number of shotguns but only two semi's and both are Remington 48s.

ZacNap
11-07-2015, 09:32 PM
side by sides can rarely handle steel and semis are just way to cool

180grainer
11-07-2015, 10:19 PM
side by sides can rarely handle steel and semis are just way to cool
Why wouldn't a side by side work? All you need to do is ream the choke out to Mod or Imp from my understanding. And surely you can get a newer one already made for steel. I don't know I've never looked.

Dutch
11-07-2015, 11:44 PM
Recoil is the key semis (well the newer ones) lesson recoil so there is less muzzle jump therefore easier to track on the second shot, like the 20g of old it is really physics , nothing wrong with o/u or side by side ,pumps all what your endeavouring to accomplish ,I want to kill more waterfowl ,I do it best with a semi , plus I can shoot 2 boxes and not feel it as much ..

Lone Goat Creek
02-13-2016, 04:23 PM

So the duck season is long since finished around here, and thought I'd get back to this one. To recap, my buddy and I started the season with two brand new shotguns, mine was a Remington VersaMax Waterfowler Pro, and his a Beretta A300 Xtrema. Mine worked will all loads, even mixed loads, at all times, in all conditions. His did not. He had FTEs and FTFs at times. At one point he had his Beretta in pieces in the blind trying to figure it out. In fairness, it was raining that day, complete downpour, and I did see him poking some decoys around the water with mis muzzle. Also, I always clean my gun, while he generally does not. So, there's that. But, we both bought the waterfowler models so we wouldn't particularly have to worry about the conditions we were putting them through. In conclusion, VersaMax worked flawlessly, Beretta A300 did not ... BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE! Before all the Beretta lovers get bent out of shape, I will say the following : He absolutely loves his Beretta and wouldn't trade it for my VersaMax. In fact, he didn't even want to try the VersaMax, he just caressed his Beretta, and whispered sweet nothings to it. Myself, I really liked the feel of his Beretta, and really enjoyed shooting it. I like trying as many guns as I am allowed too :p And, in trying his, I was certainly convinced to reach out and touch some more Berettas, they seem to fit me well, and it could be argued that I shot it better, but I prefer slightly shorter barrels, and his Beretta was a couple inches shorter than mine, which could have made that difference ... So, in actual conclusion, VersaMax performed flawlessly, no issues, love it; but, his Beretta had a great feel, fit me nicely, and was enjoyable to shoot. Maybe just don't poke your decoys around the water with your Beretta's muzzle and hopefully it won't have any FTEs or FTFs :p ... both great guns!

Lone Goat Creek
02-13-2016, 04:27 PM
Where did you find your waterfowl pro? Was it local? I've been looking and don't see many close by.

Sorry, didn't see this earlier, so hopefully you were able to find yourself one! But, for whatever it's worth, I found my VersaMax Waterfowler Pro at reliablegun.com in Vancouver.

Lone Goat Creek
02-13-2016, 04:32 PM
No need to wait Beretta hands down

Not so fast, see above :-)

Foxton Gundogs
02-13-2016, 07:55 PM
I did I was trying to save the poor guy some heartache :roll: