PDA

View Full Version : Goose control

Faw
03-31-2015, 10:24 AM
http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-136444-3-.htm#136444
Am I missing something here? Why not extend the hunting season?

skibum
03-31-2015, 11:37 AM
Not as easy as just extending the season. Have to make sure that the season does not hit the different migratory populations of Canada's that are not doing that well. The resident Canada's are the problem.

Interesting about how they did not migrate because they did not have parents to teach them

SPEYMAN
03-31-2015, 11:44 AM
Don't remember any transplants in the Comox Valley or Campbell River estuary. The geese here seem to have the same desire. They don't like to migrate.

yamadirt 426
03-31-2015, 11:58 AM
why would they leave ?

Foxton Gundogs
03-31-2015, 12:01 PM
Addling seems to make people 'feel better' the truth is that the birds will simply lay a new clutch of eggs if the first batch do not hatch. Seasons are set federally allowing so may days for hunting, and the geese soon learn where is safe to be. When towns/cities have basically 'anti' hunting policies they have goose trouble, just look at Richmond as a prime example.

" Interesting about how they did not migrate because they did not have parents to teach them"
That theory holds as much water as a sieve. Geese are social critters and will band with other flocks and 'learn' from them. The truth is the weather is less harsh food supply is good, they are not being shot at so as Yammie says "Why would they leave"

Stone Sheep Steve
03-31-2015, 12:12 PM
http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-136444-3-.htm#136444
Am I missing something here? Why not extend the hunting season?

What about city geese that don't like to frequent places where you can shoot them??

Faw
03-31-2015, 04:09 PM
I don't know. I'm pretty green with all of this but where I live (Penticton) there are so many awesome places to hunt birds where you aren't allowed to. It seems silly.

Crazy_Farmer
03-31-2015, 04:13 PM
That's the number one issue everywhere for geese. Open up the no shoot zones and you wouldnt have these problems. Any good hunters worth anything could knock em around until the number dropped or they moved. But no shoot zones mean sanctuary.

boxhitch
03-31-2015, 04:53 PM
Addling seems to make people 'feel better' the truth is that the birds will simply lay a new clutch of eggs if the first batch do not hatch. That is why there is a follow-up protocol .
The program works and is used all over Canada and the U.S.

Foxton Gundogs
03-31-2015, 05:45 PM
That is why there is a follow-up protocol .
The program works and is used all over Canada and the U.S.

Yah it works very well as evident by the 'declining' Goose population. It's like charging Hell with a bucket of water the only good it does is for public perception. Open the no shooting areas, kill geese they figure out it's not safe and move on plain simple and effective.

BTF
03-31-2015, 09:39 PM
Not to mention all the hand feeding that goes on, why would they migrate, introduced here- fed here. friggin' no shooting areas! More addling required......?

SPEYMAN
03-31-2015, 10:20 PM
Man screws with nature and some educated fool has a theory. Isn't science wonderfull. It is also why 30 year olds live with their parents.

Big Lew
04-01-2015, 06:48 AM
I understand the concept that introduced geese aren't programmed to migrate, but
what about the ducks? Many urban and city areas have healthy permanent year round
residents now-a-days which wasn't the norm many years ago. Most birds and animals
learn by example, and when there's little predation or hunting to keep their numbers
in check, what do you expect?

Faw
04-01-2015, 08:26 AM
What do I expect? More opportunities to eat duck.

Stone Sheep Steve
04-01-2015, 09:32 AM
I think they should just encourage us to kill them any way possible. A bag of bread and a 9-iron would certainly work wonders.

SSS

358mag
04-01-2015, 09:35 AM
i think they should just encourage us to kill them any way possible. A bag of bread and a 9-iron would certainly work wonders.

Sss
fore ........

Stone Sheep Steve
04-01-2015, 12:12 PM
fore ........

Or a pair of long handled hedge clippers.......