PDA

View Full Version : Yet another pack threadpike

mad_mallard
03-30-2015, 07:24 PM
I know !
Another pack thread,Just what we need to see !!!!

But it in all seriousness I figured I needed to put it out there anyways. For the past few years I have been running a MR Crewcab. It's been a solid bag with more organization than I need and totally bombproof !

HOWEVER, I've always felt it to be a bit "busy" almost to much in the way of pockets etc.
With that in mind, wanting something somewhat simpler and perhaps with better "lift" .
To that end I just about pulled the trigger on a metcalf.
Like many others my goal is to have a good quality pack that's not overkill to run as a larger daypack yet come out heavy. Hence the Crewcab/metcalf school of thought.
I have yet to overnight out of my Crewcab but I do like to have the ability to spike out for a couple days if necessary.So whatever route I end up going here I want to have that capability.

Now I feel that it may be prudent to look at the "other" brands that we in the hunting world rave about. I have read enough online to make my eyes burn ,talked to whom I am able.
Now it's time to turn to the HBC community.
Is there anybody out there on south Vancouver island with ANY of the "other" popular hunting packs like kifaru or maybe someone actually has a metcalf or even a( sneeze,sneeze-cough,cough ) kuiu.
OR any other solid pack that would be willing to show it off in person.

If anybody would be willing to meet in person and show off their pack please shoot me a PM and I would be happy to arrange a meeting!

Thanks in advance-Mike

troutseeker
03-31-2015, 02:39 AM
Get a 6500 bag for your MR frame and be done with your search.

SR80
03-31-2015, 06:44 AM
Check out the kifaru mountain rambler...or even stone glacier is sweet too.

decker9
03-31-2015, 08:07 AM
I'm a long ways away sorry I can't be of more help, but imo, the DT line sounds just like what you need lol. I own a DT1 and it synchs down small for a day pack, yet opens up to 7200 ci for long hauls. There's only 4 pockets on the bag, 2 side and 2 front, I wouldent say it's the best for "organizing" your gear, but if you like to stuff most of your gear into one big bag, then it may be something to look at. As for comfort, it's a Cadillac of backpacks, although iv never tried any other hi end packs, once I threw this one on, there was no need to try another.

Rob
03-31-2015, 08:10 AM
My Kifaru Timberline with Duplex will be here in a couple weeks, if your up this way send me a PM. I used a Dragonfly for the last few years and felt I needed to upgrade.

Rackmastr
03-31-2015, 08:48 AM
Wish I could help ya.....with a NICE frame I'd suggest the 6500 bag as a starting point.

That said, a Kifaru DT1 is a hell of a pack and worth looking at. The DT2 could fit your needs a bit better being a bit smaller for a daypack, etc.

stoneguide
03-31-2015, 09:26 AM
Love my Kuiu. Been an awesome pack with some hard use. And close to a 5lb savings just in the pack to the MR.

mad_mallard
03-31-2015, 06:18 PM
I do appreciate the comments thus far.
I have strongly considered the MR 6500,Just seems to be a bit much for my purposes.Im usually day hiking for mulies and blacktails.
So my most common use is packing a fully deboned deer plus the headgear.with my day gear,enough stuff for overnight if need be and ocaisionally spotter and tripod.
The crewcab worked well overall just had more pockets and complicated than I need. The reason I went MR originally was the "Bombproof" factor,that it certainly is.
However I want to be open to Other brands/models as well. Just would be nice to see something else in hand for comparison is all.

So,again if anybody on south van Isle has a pack that I may be interested in seeing Let me know. !

bc_buckshot
03-31-2015, 06:41 PM
Alps commander pack and frame

swampthing
03-31-2015, 06:49 PM
Love my Kuiu. Been an awesome pack with some hard use. And close to a 5lb savings just in the pack to the MR.

I just bought a kuiu 5200 pro. I only have 2 days hiking with 35lb in it so far. The suspension system seems awesome so far. I ran the eberlestock dragonfly for years and love that pack buts its heavy and when the load is near 100lbs its not real comfortable. I absolutely love the layout and the gun scabbard though.

Rob
03-31-2015, 07:21 PM
I just bought a kuiu 5200 pro. I only have 2 days hiking with 35lb in it so far. The suspension system seems awesome so far. I ran the eberlestock dragonfly for years and love that pack buts its heavy and when the load is near 100lbs its not real comfortable. I absolutely love the layout and the gun scabbard though.

lol, found the same thing with my dragonfly, had to hunch way to forward to compensate for the extra weight packing a sheep off the mountain.

Lastcar
03-31-2015, 07:26 PM
I do appreciate the comments thus far.
I have strongly considered the MR 6500,Just seems to be a bit much for my purposes.Im usually day hiking for mulies and blacktails.
So my most common use is packing a fully deboned deer plus the headgear.with my day gear,enough stuff for overnight if need be and ocaisionally spotter and tripod.
The crewcab worked well overall just had more pockets and complicated than I need. The reason I went MR originally was the "Bombproof" factor,that it certainly is.
However I want to be open to Other brands/models as well. Just would be nice to see something else in hand for comparison is all.

So,again if anybody on south van Isle has a pack that I may be interested in seeing Let me know. !

Likely of little help but if you are coming to Vancouver for anything let me know. You can give my Stone Glacier Sky Archer 6200 a go. But having gone through only slightly less packs than SR80 I am confident in saying either SG or Kifaru is a safe bet. If for some reason I decide to try another brand that'll be it.

Went from Mystery Ranch to KUIU to Stone Glacier. Suffice to say the middle stop was a short one.

mad_mallard
03-31-2015, 08:03 PM
Am appreciating those offers guys,Just don't cross the pond to often.ecxept hunting season of course!
like I said sure a fan of MR durability that's the reason I hesitate when discussing Kuiu. Haven actually seen a kifaru and went with MR originally because I saw one first hand.

Quite willing to hear what other packs pros and cons are. Just because there is so much online doesn't mean there's no more to hear.

300rum700
03-31-2015, 08:57 PM
The big thing your going to notice going from a Mystery Ranch to a Kifaru is how much the Kifaru takes the load off your shoulders and transfers it to your hips. Both the Bikini and Duplex have a wide, comfy waist belt that holds the weight and allows you to walk upright which cases a lot less fatigue. Mystery Ranch has done a good job at making heavy loads comfortable but you still have to compensate for heavy loads by leaning forward, a lot. I used both, same load, same hike and had both packs fitted to Me and the difference was night and day, I stopped halfway through and empty the water bladder I used for weight when I hiked with the MR. There was no point putting up with anymore unnecessary pain I knew what I was ordering. Kifaru is made of the same 500 D cordura as MR and craftsmanship is as good or better. One big note is if you do end up seeing or using someone else pack is make sure it's fitted to you, even if the guy looks like your size make sure shoulder harness length, load lifter angles are correct and you have the right belt size otherwise your not getting a proper feel for any pack. YouTube has good instruction on how to properly for most all packs.

stoneguide
03-31-2015, 08:59 PM
I tried to test it some this season

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/10690288_10152506191087772_54812154363976804_n.jpg

stoneguide
03-31-2015, 09:00 PM
They say the frames break easy so ive tortured mine.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/11043119_10152872156467772_5979873089683540486_n.j pg

stoneguide
03-31-2015, 09:03 PM
Tested the load shelf packing elk quarters and antlers.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/10525751_10152447847707772_5497517303256672051_n.j pg

stoneguide
03-31-2015, 09:05 PM
Though a bou might test it well.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/10653763_10152506193117772_4707496875967483894_n.j pg

stoneguide
03-31-2015, 09:09 PM
Dont even notice it on your back as a day pack.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/11082617_10152912871922772_7406429658942599735_n.j pg

leadpillproductions
03-31-2015, 09:09 PM
I just bit the bullet and ordered the icon 7200

stoneguide
03-31-2015, 09:13 PM
I just bit the bullet and ordered the icon 7200

Cant wait to see that first critter in it!!!

todbartell
03-31-2015, 10:12 PM
I have a MR CrewCab, really like it. It's been my day pack for the last few years with no complaints. I don't find the organization layout of the pack complicated. Lots of hype about the Metcalf so I picked up a used one in good shape, should be here in a couple days. We'll see how it is!

SR80
04-01-2015, 06:49 AM
Mystery Ranch is releasing their new packs i think this week or the next...supposed to be some lighter weight packs coming from them

2tins
04-01-2015, 10:01 AM
I use the 6500 to get ALL my gear up the river for 7-10 days. Food, clothes bullets, sleeping bag, everything. When I set up my tent I leave all my gear there that I don't need for hunting and use the compression straps to make the bag smaller. If and when I have to pack out quarters, I've got the big bag ready to go. And for those who say the MR packs are too heavy.......it's time to hit the gym. The 6500 is the best in the business.

Timberjack
04-03-2015, 06:35 PM
Geez - all this talk about MR, KUIU, SG, etc and no one has mentioned an Arcteryx... I run the bora, and it's been fantastic hauling big loads and after years of use it looks as new... Am I missing something with a mountaineering internal frame pack??

TJ

BgBlkDg
04-03-2015, 07:21 PM
I carried my first pack in 1956, have owned many and used many others since, worked in the industry and could usually afford any gear I wanted.

NOBODY makes a superior pack in quality to Dana Gleason, his MR packs are simply the best production packs I have ever carried.

That said, if YOU find another brand better FOR YOU, then that is the way to go.

One point here, if you are leaning forward with 75-100 lb. loads, the pack is NOT fitting YOU correctly and it is VERY hard on your body.

I stand erect with my training load, until 2012, of 90 lbs in my MR NICE packs and my older Dana Design-Bozeman made Shortbed Terraframes. I am now pretty crippled and packing is probably done for me, but, I will try this week at the local track/bleachers to see IF I can work up to a decent load.

For those who want THE BEST, go to Dan McHale in Seattle and be ready to pay about twice what an MR, etc. will cost you.

stoneguide
04-03-2015, 08:00 PM
Alot of the issue with leaning isnt pack adjustment or quality of pack(a small portion at times can be). Most of it can be associated with core strength of the individual wearing the pack. A guy not used to carrying 80lbs and isnt in shape to do so will tend to lean more as the weight gets heavier or day gets longer. Load lifters and such for sure needs to be adjusted properly as well as strap heights and waist belts but conditioning more than anything reflects on a person's stance. An ill fitted pack tends to reflect more on sore hips, shoulders and shoulder fatigue.

stoneguide
04-03-2015, 08:02 PM
Life size stone cape, horns all deboned meat and day gear. 110lbs+ low quality pack in most guys minds.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSCF0643.jpg

stoneguide
04-03-2015, 08:03 PM
Another full ram in same pack.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSCF0538.jpg

stoneguide
04-03-2015, 08:06 PM
Pack Junkie!!! LOL

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSCF0394.jpg

stoneguide
04-03-2015, 08:11 PM
Best heavy load pack I ever had. But was basically a no name pack. Had an amazing main bag load lifting shelf so you could keep your heavy objects in the middle of your pack against your mid back and not squish everything and sink to the bottom. Packed alot of loads with her before a horse wreck claimed its life.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSCF0829.jpg

stoneguide
04-03-2015, 08:14 PM
Had smatter days than back packing moose LOL

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSCF1405.JPG

stoneguide
04-03-2015, 08:18 PM
Never leave home with out the best rain cover you can get too!! Jus day gear in this load but can make for a super crappy trip if stuff gets wet!!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSCF0481.jpg

stoneguide
04-03-2015, 08:20 PM
One more for tonight lol

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSCN1160.JPG

Bear Brawler
04-03-2015, 08:48 PM
Great photos stoneguide! I too love my Kuiu bags, Icon 6000 and Ultra 3000. Both do very well for my needs.

RiverRunner
04-04-2015, 07:46 AM
Anyways... Back on topic. You want a day/overnight pack that's load haul capable. You already have one but find it a little uncomfortable due to its shorter frame and low load lifters.
How about if you could extend those lifters?...
I say save some cash and pick up a longbow bag for your NICE frame. It's super streamlined and not cluttered. Then check out these guys and the accessories they make.
http://ovinnovations.com/collections/nice-frame-accessories
The lift kit for the NICE frame changed everything for me.
get the power pulls too... You'll thank me.

...and you shouldn't have too much trouble selling just the crew cab bag here to help offset costs.

rifleman
04-04-2015, 08:06 AM
Get a 6500 bag for your MR frame and be done with your search.

best advice for sure....

Buck
04-04-2015, 08:10 AM
Anyways... Back on topic. You want a day/overnight pack that's load haul capable. You already have one but find it a little uncomfortable due to its shorter frame and low load lifters.
How about if you could extend those lifters?...
I say save some cash and pick up a longbow bag for your NICE frame. It's super streamlined and not cluttered. Then check out these guys and the accessories they make.
http://ovinnovations.com/collections/nice-frame-accessories
The lift kit for the NICE frame changed everything for me.
get the power pulls too... You'll thank me.

...and you shouldn't have too much trouble selling just the crew cab bag here to help offset costs.

Good advise i put the power pulls on my Kodiak big help with the belt.Improving the load lifters would make a big difference for your crewcab setup.

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
04-04-2015, 08:54 PM
Another pack Thread .. im in the market for a new pack . anyone have something they think i will be interested in pm .

BgBlkDg
04-04-2015, 09:26 PM
The comments concerning fitness and conditioning are correct, obviously, however, fit in a pack is very important, almost as much as with footwear and this becomes more so as a given individual ages. One CAN bull his way through some pretty rugged situations when young and strong, but, the more experience you gain, the more you will age and eventually weaken, everyone does, as Muhammed Ali, so sadly demonstrates in his public appearances.

When I was young, I used to deliberately apply for and was offered some of the most remote BCFS fire L/Os in BC; we had 165 L/Os then and things in 1965 were just a "bit" more primitive than is now the case as we did not have packs except issue Trapper Nelson No.3 packboards.

I used to pack fill 10gal. steel milk cans of water to my L/Os, on one of these and this would weigh about 140 lbs. at least. EVERY bit of my seasonal supplies came up the mountain on those torture racks, food, lamp gas, wood, water, whatever. I very soon learned that bullheaded determination, youth and growing up in the mountains would get me though, but, by age 21, I had my first Camp Trails frame pack imported and have never looked back.

I have always found that some packs work better for certain body types and fit is crucial for real comfort, especially when one uses his pack(s) every day for several months on end.

In any event, it is money well spent to buy a really good pack and have it fitted correctly, not as easy a task with some as it might seem. Fortunately, the major makers have websites with detailed instructions and are happy to help on the phone as well.

JCP
07-04-2015, 02:47 PM
Stone glacier packs are supposed to be very good

.30-06 camsavbc
07-23-2015, 08:48 PM
Geez - all this talk about MR, KUIU, SG, etc and no one has mentioned an Arcteryx... I run the bora, and it's been fantastic hauling big loads and after years of use it looks as new... Am I missing something with a mountaineering internal frame pack??

TJ
I also have used a Arcteryx Bora day pack that I gave to my son which he now uses for hunting. I have used a Serratus Condor for my backpacking days and now use it for hunting but I am also looking for a new pack that I can take the tent and sleeping bag out at camp and day trip with an external frame for meat hauling. The difference is the internal frame packs are not meant to carry 100lbs of meat. My Serratus sags with extra weight (over 40 lbs) and after all these years with it (20+) it is time to upgrade.

.30-06 camsavbc
11-03-2015, 10:10 PM
I have finally upgraded to a Badlands 2200 hunting pack for day trips. I haven't hauled any meat out with it yet but so far this pack is quiet and very comfortable. The zippers and pulls are large enough to use with my gloves on and no water has penetrated this pack. I bought this one at Cabelas in Nanaimo.

Banjo
11-03-2015, 10:23 PM
If you're in vancouver or langley you can check out my kifaru with the highcamp bag. I have lots of the accessories like the gun bearer and grab-it. High-camp is a big bag with no pockets (mine is 140L with pockets and lid..but the lid is 1000ci so it act like a pocket for the stuff u want handy)

SR80
11-04-2015, 07:55 AM
Placed my order for the new Kifaru tahr bag yesterday. 3400 CI day pack.

Andrewh
11-04-2015, 09:39 AM
Packed 5 big game animals with my SG 6200 so far this year, love it.