Wentrot
03-29-2015, 10:27 PM
So long langley wholesale sports

xcaribooer
03-29-2015, 11:08 PM
best news ive heard all day, right on

Lastcar
03-29-2015, 11:17 PM
Where does this leave the Bass Pro in Tsawwassen?

That location is perplexing. But I figured maybe it'll be a destination trip. For a store like that maybe guys would make the trip from all over...but this kinda kills that.

Assuming all things Cabelas and Bass Pro being equal. Which I'd say they are not. But enough of a difference?

adriaticum
03-29-2015, 11:19 PM
Weird, suddenly we have this influx of foreign outdoor stores.
I don't think this is going to be good for the local shops.

Ovis17
03-29-2015, 11:20 PM
Hope it happens but I'm not holding my breath.

xcaribooer
03-29-2015, 11:27 PM
I think cabelas in abby and nainamo , wss in Langley and bass pro in tsawwassen are all far enough apart to not hurt each others business, its still less of these stores compared to Edmonton where they all seem to do ok

Bugle M In
03-30-2015, 01:19 AM
hopefully Bass Pro and Cabelas has lots of stuff in stock!!??
WSS biggest problem was just that...no stock or little of it.

hunter fisher
03-30-2015, 06:42 AM
abby cabelas: 70k square feet

tsaw bass pro: 145k square feet

yay for tsawwassen

notyalc
03-30-2015, 06:47 AM
Hopefully it works out and we get it! Would love to see a big "closing down sale" sign infront of wholesale sports!

saskbooknut
03-30-2015, 07:01 AM
You will live to regret the passing of Wholesale Sports, imperfect as it is. Competition is good for the consumer, and Cabelas is just another retailer.

digger dogger
03-30-2015, 07:01 AM
Abbotsford seems more logical than twatson.
The folks that take the ferry to horshoe bay can pass by cabelas, or take the longer ferry to tsawwassen and go to bass pro.
If cabelas is close to HWY#1 they'll clean up, and get tons of bizniz as islanders and city folk head into the interior or up north, hunting.

I hope this aint another billshit thread, and the valley is getting a cabelas store.

Cdn-Redneck
03-30-2015, 08:08 AM
I heard this rumour over the weekend as well I believe it is at hwy 1 and McCallum rd. the person who mentioned it to me is a business owner in the area. There is a land clearing being done on the NE corner there.

Getbent
03-30-2015, 08:09 AM
It is coming for sure and is right off the highway at McCallum exit...
heard it in a development meeting...the whole mall is supposed to be a "Man Mall"...

Cdn-Redneck
03-30-2015, 08:14 AM
Found this from abbotsford fish and game website for a public hearing

Cabela’s has entered into a subject lease agreement with the developers of a 16 acre property located at the corner of Highway 1 and McCallum Rd. in Abbotsford. Their intention is to build and operate a 70,000 sq. ft. store which would be part of a larger 140,000 sq. ft. retail commercial project. In order to accomplish this, a re-zoning of the property and a change to the Official Community Plan will be required.

If the membership of Abbotsford Fish and Game Club would like to voice their opinion, there will be a public information meeting and a public hearing in front of Abbotsford Council. The public information meeting will be held on April 2, 2015 at Alexander Elementary School, 2250 Lobban Rd., Abbotsford, V2S 2W1, between 6 and 7 pm. The public hearing will be announced once Abbotsford Council has given first reading to the re-zoning by-law.

Foxton Gundogs
03-30-2015, 08:23 AM
You will live to regret the passing of Wholesale Sports, imperfect as it is. Competition is good for the consumer, and Cabelas is just another retailer.

We heard all this when Cabalas came to Nanaimo. WSS is doing fine. #1 Every one expects Cabalas to be like the US stores FLASH it's not, just compare the US and Canadian on line stores. #2 If there enough business for both here on the Island so it will be in the LML, what we found here is Cabalas is more expensive than WSS and their selection on some things sucks, between the two we have 1 fairly passable store. Here, I spend most of my $ at WSS, they have been better than excellent to the BCWF's New Hunter Boot Camp and for that they have my loyalty. Celebrate the arrival of Cabalas for what it is, one more link in the chain to give LMLders most options and better supply but don't expect it to be the end all and be all.

LupieHunter
03-30-2015, 08:41 AM
Based on the customer service, or lack there of I should say at the Langey WSS, I don't think they will last very long once Bass Pro and Cabelas open.

rides bike to work
03-30-2015, 09:17 AM
Ill still buy my gear at my local Chilliwack dart and tackle.They actually have a clue about what hunting and fishing is and treat me good. But will bring the kids to cabelas to walk around and look at the cool taxidermy and displays.

russm
03-30-2015, 09:23 AM
Wss has blown it with enough customers in the Langley location that even if cabelas or bass pro is a little more expensive people probably won't mind going else where if they have what they need, in the time it takes me to fight through traffic from my place in surrey to get to wss I can be on the highway and in abbotsford, people in the valley are nicer to deal with anyway.

ruger#1
03-30-2015, 09:52 AM
Weird, suddenly we have this influx of foreign outdoor stores.
I don't think this is going to be good for the local shops.

Lets hope they don't end up like The Future Shop. Or that other store.

ajr5406
03-30-2015, 09:57 AM
Its going to be good for the consumer - lets hope we see some sales! I think the market and geography is big enough for WSS, Cabelas and BP, there certainly isnt a shortage of people buying stuff everyday at these places. Would be nice to see some price competition too.

Tough for the local businesses though...

bcsteve
03-30-2015, 10:14 AM
Anybody heard of the proposed opening date?

Cdn-Redneck
03-30-2015, 10:40 AM
Nothing about it on cabelas website yet. Has to get city approval. I would think better part of a year anyways.

Mulehahn
03-30-2015, 10:56 AM
This isn't the first time it has been proposed. About 6 years ago? Cabelas was taking bids on constructing a store at that mall at the new mall by Mt. Lehman. I know the person who was designing the HVAC system for it. Never happened. I think this one will though given the location and the time passed I am sure they are more prepared now.

Ride Red
03-30-2015, 11:10 AM
More competition for consumers and wholesale won't be going anywhere. I look forward to being able to do a round on a Saturday from Cabelas, to Wholesale and then Basspro. Now, just have to figure out where we're going for dinner on the way home.

RINO
03-30-2015, 11:57 AM
More competition for consumers and wholesale won't be going anywhere. I look forward to being able to do a round on a Saturday from Cabelas, to Wholesale and then Basspro. Now, just have to figure out where we're going for dinner on the way home.

Uncle Bucks..
http://youtu.be/Kaf0LFzlIUU

Keta1969
03-30-2015, 12:33 PM
They are both over rated IMHO. If I'm looking for re loading supplies my local store has more stock than both the Naniamo stores. Same for ammo. Was in them both on Sat. and didn't buy a thing as they had zip on their selves. Feels better to shop local as well.

jeff341
03-30-2015, 01:19 PM
Since I work on the same block as this new proposed Cabela's....... I think I'll be stopping in pretty regularly.

I'd be pretty happy to have anyone of these stores open in abbotsford....there really isn't much in town.... Or Chilliwack for that matter.

BearStump
03-30-2015, 03:11 PM
I like to keep my shopping local as well but sometimes what I want just isn't available at my local shop.
Cabella's, Wholesale, AND Bass Pro?? yaaay! Cant wait for price matching.............

ROY-alty33
03-30-2015, 05:12 PM
Maybe one of them might have a box of factory 325wsm.

scoutlt1
03-30-2015, 05:44 PM
Having a bit of "inside info" with the guys doing the land clearing and construction. It sounds like a done deal (but ya never know!)...

I think it's a perfect spot for Cabela's. Tons of people passing by there on their way on a hunting/fishing trip. Bass Pro will catch people coming from the island, but few from Vancouver, North shore, Burnaby, etc. will be passing by there. And with traffic these days, it's almost as quick to head out on Hwy 1 from Van. for a shopping trip, rather than out the 99, through the tunnel, etc. etc.... (except for that dumbass toll on the Port Mann)...

So they need to make sure there's a Timmie's in that mall, a gas station that a guy hauling a trailer can get into easily, a burger joint, and of course a cold beer store.

Throw a free sani-dump into the mix and it's a license to print money I'm thinking!!

mikeboehm
03-30-2015, 05:55 PM
Hwy 17 and your at Bass Pro from Langley in less than 25 minutes

shadowhunter
03-30-2015, 06:08 PM
Ill still buy my gear at my local Chilliwack dart and tackle.They actually have a clue about what hunting and fishing is and treat me good. But will bring the kids to cabelas to walk around and look at the cool taxidermy and displays.
This ^ I support my local hunting and fishing stores. Keep the money in the community people! Not some foreigners pocket!

sausage lover
03-30-2015, 06:31 PM
Good people at Dart and Tackle! Prices are just as good for most items and it doesn't feel like wallmart lol!

Wentrot
03-30-2015, 06:35 PM
I love how hypocritical people are-I would bet money most if not all the "I only support the little guy" folks will be in the new Cabelas and bass pro within a week of opening.

ruger#1
03-30-2015, 06:37 PM
I love how hypocritical people are-I would bet money most if not all the "I only support the little guy" folks will be in the new Cabelas and bass pro within a week of opening.

I bet they all shop Wal Mart.

keoke
03-30-2015, 07:01 PM
Maybe no sales will smarten up. A friend went to purchase a scope and rifle, asked to have the scope mounted and the clerk said we dont mount scopes on the weekend due to staffing, someone else might need help at the counter. My friend told him he just lost a $1500 sale and walked out.

Red arch
03-30-2015, 08:40 PM

Well personally, I drive out from Aldergrove to Dart and Tackle anytime I need archery supplies, and I also head out to Fred's, Michael and Young, Hatch Match'r and or Sea run if I am in the area.
I have been a few times to the Cabela's down in Lacey. Only thing they beat the guys above on is square footage and disciplines. Selection on the other hand....

Only time I buy stuff from WSS is if I am in Kamloops (only option for decent fly fishing stuff outside of SA fly lines) or I am nearby and need a simple tool that isn't expensive.

Salty
03-30-2015, 08:51 PM
We heard all this when Cabalas came to Nanaimo. WSS is doing fine. .

Since Cabelas opened any time I've gone there I've gone to Wholesale as well I don't get down much and they're only like 10 minutes apart. I agree haven't seen WSS dead ever I think they'll both prosper. And if that can happen in little old Nanaimo I SAF don't think a new Cabelas in the big smoke will hurt any existing stores either. Hunting is cool again new people are getting in to it its a strong market IMO its all good.

papaken
03-30-2015, 09:27 PM
I for one will be happy to have a Cabelas in Abbotsford. We have a great archery shop here in Abbotsford and I have had good service at Chilliwack, but the local outdoor shop I won't go into as I have heard them lie to customers. Cabelas will just give us even more selection and I look forward to the Bass Pro opening in Tsawwassen for the same reason. Competition is good and I quite enjoy browsing the different stores checking for deals.

xcaribooer
03-31-2015, 09:12 AM
I think the only way small outdoor shops can survive is by offering something that the mega stores can not. For fishing a place like Searun tackle in coquitlam should always survive because they offer high end products, service and knowledge that the cabelas, WSS and bass pro cant. As far as small hunting/gun shops im not too sure about their futures. What can they offer that you cant get at the big stores? maybe some specialty firearms besides the run of the mill rems and Winchesters? I think one thing the little guys could do is offer more gunsmithing, it seems there is a real lack of gunsmith options in the lower mainland.
in the big picture though its gotta be bleak for the small shops, there are not a lot of corner hardware stores left any more with home depots and rona's in every area.

r106
03-31-2015, 09:38 AM
Wanstalls and Chilliwack Dart & Tackle will survive this, they have strong support from locals. And there the only stores worth keeping in the fraser valley. I think its awesome cabelas is coming.

Hub sports is f-cked. But most say it was after Roger sold it.

Wentrot
03-31-2015, 10:10 AM
Wanstalls and Chilliwack Dart & Tackle will survive this, they have strong support from locals. And there the only stores worth keeping in the fraser valley. I think its awesome cabelas is coming.

Hub sports is f-cked. But most say it was after Roger sold it.

Indeed-I have a feeling this may be the death blow for hubs. Hopefully not but I cant see how they will survive.

Bugle M In
03-31-2015, 12:13 PM
the smaller shops will just have to make sure that what they do best...they now do even better!
Offer competitive pricing, keep ammo in stock and go that extra bit for the customer...IMO.
Some things they will not be able to supply, but than again, they never did in the first place.
It good for everyone.
It will be nice to have the locations now for clothing and specialty items for sure.
Guns, scopes and ammo, well the little guys can compete if they want to...that is up to them.

xcaribooer
03-31-2015, 01:23 PM
nothing on the cabelas Canada website about abbotsford yet

LYKTOHUNT
03-31-2015, 02:17 PM
Question regarding The Bass Pro on the reserve, what is the business relationship between the Indians and Bass pro, Is there not concern about Bass pro leasing land from the band and is the band a partner in the business

Bugle M In
03-31-2015, 02:46 PM
Question regarding The Bass Pro on the reserve, what is the business relationship between the Indians and Bass pro, Is there not concern about Bass pro leasing land from the band and is the band a partner in the business
Doesn't matter to me...
I'd rather have private businesses handing them money, than me handing it over to them from my tax dollars.
More of this should be done like this, so all of us no longer need to pay them thru government funding....

skibum
03-31-2015, 04:02 PM

I am sure the band is flattered by your concern for their well being, but probably really do really care what you think how they run their business on reserve.

Foxtail
03-31-2015, 04:57 PM
I believe the Tsawassen band is one of the wealthiest in Canada.

LYKTOHUNT
03-31-2015, 05:31 PM
I am sure the band is flattered by your concern for their well being, but probably really do really care what you think how they run their business on reserve.
I am not in the least concerned about the band and am sure they could not care less how I feel,however getting back to my question/curiosity,because it is on a reserve (and maybe some legal types or people in the know ) can answer whether the same tax laws or lease laws apply to reserve land as compared to off reserve land for example does Bass Pro gain an advantage on taxes by setting up shop on a reserve,will there be the same lease conditions/protection laws in place compared to off reserve land?

ruger#1
03-31-2015, 05:36 PM
I believe the Tsawassen band is one of the wealthiest in Canada.

The Ossoyoss band is. They are building Race track. I think it is $40,000 to join and they are full up. A prison. They have golf courses, Winery, Resorts.

scoutlt1
03-31-2015, 05:44 PM
Once I knew BPS was setting up shop on the reserve, I knew I'd never shop there.

I will never buy or eat a native caught fish either....but that's just me....

scoutlt1
03-31-2015, 05:50 PM
The Ossoyoss band is. They are building Race track. I think it is $40,000 to join and they are full up. A prison. They have golf courses, Winery, Resorts.

When I was growing up in the late sixties/early seventies my parents had (still have) property on the west side (north end) of the lake. We used to look across at the only "true" desert in Canada. The "position" of the natives then was that it had to protected at all costs.
Lots of housing going up there now, and more vineyards than desert.
Maybe money has something to do with it.
Does my post have anything to do with "Cabela's coming to abby"?
Nope! sorry! :)

ruger#1
03-31-2015, 05:56 PM
When I was growing up in the late sixties/early seventies my parents had (still have) property on the west side (north end) of the lake. We used to look across at the only "true" desert in Canada. The "position" of the natives then was that it had to protected at all costs.
Lots of housing going up there now, and more vineyards than desert.
Maybe money has something to do with it.
Does my post have anything to do with "Cabela's coming to abby"?
Nope! sorry! :)

That is why they changed their position on the National Park. They ruined the desert.

papaken
03-31-2015, 06:34 PM
Cabelas coming to Abbotsford becomes lets bash Indians for trying to encourage businesses on reserve. Sometimes this forum is sad. If Abbotsford doesn't want Cabelas I hope they offer it to Sumas First Nation. Then I wouldn't have to compete with some of the racist folks for sales at Bass Pro or Cabelas. As for not eating Native caught fish you may as well quit eating salmon because lots of the commercial catch is done by First Nations fishermen all up and down the coast as well as the Fraser River.

LYKTOHUNT
03-31-2015, 06:54 PM
Cabelas coming to Abbotsford becomes lets bash Indians for trying to encourage businesses on reserve. Sometimes this forum is sad. If Abbotsford doesn't want Cabelas I hope they offer it to Sumas First Nation. Then I wouldn't have to compete with some of the racist folks for sales at Bass Pro or Cabelas. As for not eating Native caught fish you may as well quit eating salmon because lots of the commercial catch is done by First Nations fishermen all up and down the coast as well as the Fraser River.
If you are referring to my posts you are correct I did hijack the thread, for that I apologize my questions would best of been in open chat, however is wanting a business to open with one ethnic group over another not racist, maybe someone could answer my original questions in open chat

kishman
03-31-2015, 10:27 PM
That's great news, that location is about 6 blocks from my place. I'm gonna need a second job..........

Laurp99
03-31-2015, 11:54 PM
I'll be happy if it happens! We're about 10 minutes away from April Fools. 8-)

Cdn-Redneck
04-06-2015, 10:49 AM
The announcement is on their website now.

http://www.cabelas.ca/news/53/cabelas-explores-possibility-of-an-abbotsford-british-columbia-canada-location

kennyg826
04-06-2015, 11:20 AM
I like it. Competition is healthy.

ducktoller
04-06-2015, 11:53 AM

This, if a band does nothing they are lazy and too dependant. If a band economizes their land and becomes more self sufficient they get criticized.
It's a razor thin veil over the bigotry amongst some of HBCs members.

M.Dean
04-06-2015, 01:48 PM
Question regarding The Bass Pro on the reserve, what is the business relationship between the Indians and Bass pro, Is there not concern about Bass pro leasing land from the band and is the band a partner in the business The Indian Band in Kamloops leases to hundreds and hundreds of different type business's, I very likely doubt they own part or have any interests in them. If you rent or lease your house to some crack head gang banger, does this mean your dealing crack or wired to heron??? Didn't think so! But, mind you, if a guy rented, or leased his house to half a dozen hot, attractive young ladies, then found out they were running a Brothel, think a guy would be trying to make "Deals" around "Rent" day??? Are Bull Frogs water proof!!!

Phreddy
04-11-2015, 08:29 PM
Good on you rides bike to work. The small stores are often very competetive on most items and the service is always better. They have lived in the area and know their stuff unlike a lot of the staff at the big box places.

scoutlt1
04-11-2015, 08:39 PM
Just wanted to pass this on....

A friend bought me an "on-line" Cabela's gift card for Christmas. Had some issues with it that were no fault of Cabela's.
I had a few e-mails back and forth with them, called them a couple of times. Every e-mail was answered promptly, when I called I got through to someone right away, the issues were resolved immediately and by staff that were helpful and courteous.

Not what I'm "used to" from most of the bigger retailers.....