PDA

View Full Version : 2015 west coast salmon fishing predictions?

.264winmag
03-29-2015, 08:17 PM
Getting excited for fishing season, will be on 2/2 week schedule so hoping to get some good fishing in!
Anyone hear the 2015 west coast chinook fishing predictions?

edg
03-30-2015, 06:21 AM
I am going to Nootka Sound July 27 for a week and catching a 50lb spring! My prediction! :)

Rhyno
03-30-2015, 06:23 AM
Going to Tofino in July so hopefully good!

tinhorse
03-30-2015, 06:59 AM
Last I read was wcvi is lower than last year for Chinook and coho. WC North is supposed to be good for Chinook and coho.

.264winmag
03-30-2015, 07:25 AM
I am going to Nootka Sound July 27 for a week and catching a 50lb spring! My prediction! :)
Yesssss! Hope you do, I've been chasing that 50#er for 25 years:)

.264winmag
03-30-2015, 07:29 AM
Last I read was wcvi is lower than last year for Chinook and coho. WC North is supposed to be good for Chinook and coho.
Any age class mentioned? Last year was thick with 3 year olds, most I've ever seen. Gladly trade a bunch of them for some 4/5+ year olds!

Brez
03-30-2015, 07:34 AM
heading to Kyuquot third week of Aug. Sounds like the chinook may be down but the halies are up. Hope to get out for some tuna!

pnbrock
03-30-2015, 07:42 AM
been searching my whole life for a #50 .be another year at ukee can't wait!!

MB_Boy
03-30-2015, 08:40 AM
heading to Kyuquot third week of Aug. Sounds like the chinook may be down but the halies are up. Hope to get out for some tuna!

I am there the second week.....will be sure to post.

Did tuna out of Tofino 2 years ago.....salmon fishing is dull after going for tooners. :tongue:

.264winmag
03-30-2015, 09:11 AM
I am there the second week.....will be sure to post.

Did tuna out of Tofino 2 years ago.....salmon fishing is dull after going for tooners. :tongue:
You're not salmon fishin at Ferrier then:)

pin_head
03-30-2015, 10:57 AM

That place is as close as I've felt to being in the charlotte's since my brief career guiding out of Nader harbor. Maybe even better some days.

Brad

.264winmag
03-30-2015, 11:15 AM
That place is as close as I've felt to being in the charlotte's since my brief career guiding out of Nader harbor. Maybe even better some days.

Brad
Had many guests that fished the Charlottes say the same thing, except there is still a good chance to break 50#+ up there...
Place never ceases to amaze! Was something else 15-20 years ago, if it wasn't 30# you didn't get the net out. Still good numbers but not the size. My ashes will be spread at magic rock:)

MB_Boy
03-30-2015, 11:49 AM

I have fished there.....have you fished for tuna? :-P :tongue: I'd take it over Ferrer.

.264winmag
03-30-2015, 12:11 PM
Got first albacore tuna trip booked outta Westport this August. Pretty excited, but from the footage I've seen it's just not quite the same as hooking 20+ springs on a morning bite:) Sure like canned tuna though!

.264winmag
03-31-2015, 04:35 PM
Heard 1 million chinooks predicted to return to Columbia this year, should make for some decent fishin!

.264winmag
03-31-2015, 07:06 PM
http://www.columbian.com/news/2015/mar/04/monster-fall-chinook-return-expected-columbia-rive/

Piperdown
04-01-2015, 05:56 AM
Any age class mentioned? Last year was thick with 3 year olds, most I've ever seen. Gladly trade a bunch of them for some 4/5+ year olds!

Well get used to years of 3 year olds, that is all they are milking out of the Columbia system, cookie cutter low to mid teens.

Gr8 white hunter
04-01-2015, 06:21 AM
There won't be much out there DFO raised the quota for the guides.

.264winmag
04-01-2015, 10:35 AM
Well get used to years of 3 year olds, that is all they are milking out of the Columbia system, cookie cutter low to mid teens.
Sure seems that way doesn't it!

.264winmag
04-01-2015, 10:48 AM
Bahahaha that's awesome!

Sofa King
04-01-2015, 12:17 PM
hey guys, there are no shitty days salmon fishing.
landing a good one is simply a bonus.
we had a whopper on this past season in nootka.
got it right to the back of the boat then it bent the hook and was off.

something I heard, and makes a lot of sense, is that those really big ones that are finally landed, were probably caught one or two times earlier and partially played out and it's on their second or third return in that the lucky guy that hooks them up gets to land them.

bigdogeh
04-01-2015, 01:29 PM

hehe, no, not yet anyways... but the proportion of quota given to commercial and FN is way out of line with the way it should be... the resident fisherman is again being unfairly allocated and regulated. the guides if they choose, can also buy into the halibut quota debacle and big $$$ trumps the little guy again... maybe just a matter of time when guides get a larger portion of the share or regulations favouring them over the average resident fisherman... wouldn't put it past either political parties (federal and provincial) and nothing they do now suprises me at this point.... they're seemingly blinded by $$$ and greed and keeping they're special interest and corporate friends happy...

MB_Boy
04-01-2015, 01:39 PM
Got first albacore tuna trip booked outta Westport this August. Pretty excited, but from the footage I've seen it's just not quite the same as hooking 20+ springs on a morning bite:) Sure like canned tuna though!

Do they jig for them or troll? The "hunt" is awesome out there in the blue water ~60 miles out; cool marine life and getting them on the troll is fun as you wait to double, triple or quad up. All hell breaks out with a few on running and fighting like crazy....clearing lines, bullets torpedoing down once they're hooked. Then the back of a 30' Sportfisher looks like a mass murder happened. :shock:

I would HIGHLY recommend smoking some loins....SO good! We didn't can any....just smoked a bunch of loins and then packed a bunch of loins up for cooking in nice portions.

.264winmag
04-01-2015, 06:43 PM
I guess they troll till you get into em then do a 'bait stop', everyone dangles a live 'chovy and hook a bunch. Repeat till there's 220 fish in the hold. Go home with 20 each, definitely try some smoked too! Big fan of smoked canned as well.
http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h325/Doubleheader2/fishin/6D05A8F8-4E9D-4715-B835-CFB28902F6A1.png (http://s1104.photobucket.com/user/Doubleheader2/media/fishin/6D05A8F8-4E9D-4715-B835-CFB28902F6A1.png.html)

.264winmag
04-01-2015, 06:49 PM

something I heard, and makes a lot of sense, is that those really big ones that are finally landed, were probably caught one or two times earlier and partially played out and it's on their second or third return in that the lucky guy that hooks them up gets to land them.

Still some good fish from the Conuma every year for sure!
There are always feeder springs mixed in with the spawners offshore especially. Bonked a 40# off the hwy a few years ago and it was immature, big ole chrome buck. Woulda been a 50#er the next year!

dougan
04-01-2015, 07:29 PM
They will all be radio active

dougan
04-01-2015, 07:31 PM

Nope just never let your flasher leave the water with big ones untill it near dead

.264winmag
04-01-2015, 08:24 PM
Nope just never let your flasher leave the water with big ones untill it near dead
Take the flasher right off if you want to catch bigger fish...

pin_head
04-01-2015, 08:43 PM
Take the flasher right off if you want to catch bigger fish...

This! In-line flasher is nothing but trouble, I much prefer running dummies off the cannon ball or even a daisy chain when things get real fancy.

Brad

bigdogeh
04-01-2015, 08:57 PM
looking forward to a few trips this year also... prob hit nootka and esperanza and maybe winter harbour. have to get up to Rupert soon also. here's a vid a friend of mine made of a trip we took the summerof 2013 to Bamfield... thought he did a pretty good job of putting it together... have to get out for tuna one of these days. I have the boat for it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRdnmKqVcIU

.264winmag
04-01-2015, 09:07 PM
Video won't play?

Love the dummy flasher offshore, big plug and big spoon. Not as productive overall but better fish and nicer fight. Same on the kelp, no dummy needed just a piece of meat at a med/slow troll, quality fish but not the quantity in my experience...

.264winmag
04-02-2015, 07:21 PM
hehe, no, not yet anyways... but the proportion of quota given to commercial and FN is way out of line with the way it should be... the resident fisherman is again being unfairly allocated and regulated. the guides if they choose, can also buy into the halibut quota debacle and big $$$ trumps the little guy again... maybe just a matter of time when guides get a larger portion of the share or regulations favouring them over the average resident fisherman... wouldn't put it past either political parties (federal and provincial) and nothing they do now suprises me at this point.... they're seemingly blinded by $$$ and greed and keeping they're special interest and corporate friends happy...
That's what really grinds my gears, it has less to do with conservation than $. Waste of my time and fuel to run offshore for 1 lousy chicken, should still be 2/day 2 possession at least. Don't mind the slot size so much as the 1/day bs...

bigdogeh
04-02-2015, 07:54 PM
that youtube vid of mine won't play? strange, it plays for me when I click on it...

REMINGTON JIM
04-02-2015, 08:25 PM
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/P10002991.JPG

I need to get some more of this SOON ! ;) RJ

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/P1000332.JPG

.264winmag
04-02-2015, 09:27 PM
Beauties! Charlottes? Only two springs for the trip? Always wanted to do a trip up there:)

REMINGTON JIM
04-02-2015, 09:34 PM
Beauties! Charlottes? Only two springs for the trip? Always wanted to do a trip up there:)

Yup ! HIPPA :smile: Caught a ton or so of Springs - Cohos - Best fishing EVER :D

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/P1000346.JPG

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/P1000310.JPG

.264winmag
04-02-2015, 09:50 PM
I need to get up there to catch my 50#er!!!

pin_head
04-02-2015, 10:22 PM
This thread makes me question why my queen Charlotte career was so short. Nice nookies Jim!

Brad

fowl language
04-03-2015, 08:21 AM
it must be going to be a good year for the fraser river runs as dfo is allowing a native gillnet fishery in the river today .i believe this is the earliest opening I can remember which would be about 50 years I would say. it used to open on the 15 of april before for commercial...fowl

bard
04-05-2015, 09:14 AM
I'm heading to the west side of QCI. Camp on the beach. Shit in the bush kind of deal. 12 mie run out to great fishing grounds. A little further to freeman and hippa. Going at the beginning of July. If this interests anyone let me know. Don't have a buddy boat this year so it's nice to have a friendly boat close by to help get on the fish or if shit happens. The ferry is a little pricy but since you don't pay for accommodations or resteraunts it isn't too bad of price.

.264winmag
04-05-2015, 09:20 PM
I'm heading to the west side of QCI. Camp on the beach. Shit in the bush kind of deal. 12 mie run out to great fishing grounds. A little further to freeman and hippa. Going at the beginning of July. If this interests anyone let me know. Don't have a buddy boat this year so it's nice to have a friendly boat close by to help get on the fish or if shit happens. The ferry is a little pricy but since you don't pay for accommodations or resteraunts it isn't too bad of price.
Sounds like a blast! Wish I could make it but I'm all booked up in Tahsis already. Tight lines and be safe!

REMINGTON JIM
04-05-2015, 09:21 PM

Are you going to run out of Reynolds sound - have you being there before ? RJ

bard
04-06-2015, 05:45 AM
Yes rennell sound. Went last yr for the first time. Unreal fishing and beautiful area. Had a major breakdown second day though so we have some unfinished business with some slabs.

They shut the road into the old launch though. A buddy boat and zodiac would make the logistics a lot easier.

REMINGTON JIM
04-06-2015, 08:14 PM
Yes rennell sound. Went last yr for the first time. Unreal fishing and beautiful area. Had a major breakdown second day though so we have some unfinished business with some slabs.

They shut the road into the old launch though. A buddy boat and zodiac would make the logistics a lot easier.

Yes its very NICE there i have being there MANY times - you can get some Springs and Cohos out around Conehead and Nice Hali's over in Tartu or Seal inlets ! Freeman Rock can have some nice springs there too but sometimes some BIG water too ! Good Luck and Have a GREAT Safe trip ! :biggrin: RJ

.264winmag
05-11-2015, 10:00 AM
Springs are getting hammered around the island last week or so! The straight has been really good with some nice size fish coming in. Many are hatchery (cr) from what I hear. Anyone else have these reports?

mr eagle
05-15-2015, 06:49 PM
Yes been a very good year for springs. Personally know of 3 over 30 (tyees) from the inside so far this year.

.264winmag
05-15-2015, 09:15 PM
Yes been a very good year for springs. Personally know of 3 over 30 (tyees) from the inside so far this year.
That's good to hear! Can't wait to get out mid June.

The Dawg
05-15-2015, 09:27 PM
Just got back last weekend from Uke.

Limited out on hali, ling, and spring for 2 of us in less than 6 hours.

.264winmag
05-15-2015, 09:36 PM
Deadly Dawg! Any size on the springs offshore?

The Dawg
05-15-2015, 09:41 PM
Deadly Dawg! Any size on the springs offshore?

Nothing huge- 10-12- biggest might have just touched 14 or so

.264winmag
05-16-2015, 04:00 AM
Beauties for the canning jars!

MB_Boy
05-16-2015, 07:57 AM
The Hump (Bowen) had a good run but Thrasher has been pretty good in the last week to 10 days. Best eating salmon....oh man.

.264winmag
05-16-2015, 08:36 AM
The Hump (Bowen) had a good run but Thrasher has been pretty good in the last week to 10 days. Best eating salmon....oh man.
By far the best table fare salmon, better than sockeye in IMO! Hope there's lotsa teeners left in June:)

MB_Boy
05-16-2015, 08:56 AM
By far the best table fare salmon, better than sockeye in IMO! Hope there's lotsa teeners left in June:)

Agree 150%. We've caught whites, marbled and a few reds that were darker than sockeye.....I feel bad freezing some. We make sure we get a feed or two of fresh and family and friends also get some freshies....so frickin good!