PDA

View Full Version : Garmin Rino - charge in the backcountry?

dog812
03-29-2015, 10:56 AM
Hey has anyone used a battery pack to charge the lithium ion batteries for their Rino's? I have the AA battery pack, but 4 AA only last one day on 2w.. i am looking for a single battery pack that will charge the battery mulitple times. And still allow me to use 5w..
contemplating the goal zero sherpa 50..
This will be for a 2 week fly in hunt.

Wagonmaster
03-29-2015, 11:53 AM
Hoping people with experience will contribute to this post. I have had a Lowrance Expedition C with a map card for several years. Works very well even in heavy cover. My only beef is that the screen is very difficult to read outside, especially on a sunny day. If I give the power button a double push it brightens but that is a hassle. Runs on two double A's that last quite a long time, especially if you turn it off after establishing your starting point as a waypoint to return to. Easy to carry extra batteries. If on a week long trip, I don't want to have to fire up the generator to recharge a battery pack and often there isn't a lot of driving time to recharge in the truck. Was thinking of buying a new Garmin as the screens are supposed to be easy to read. Considering the 64, 64s, 64st's or the rhinos. Much appreciate some input.

Crawfy42
03-29-2015, 01:00 PM
I have the Sherpa 50. It works really well. Charging iphone and video camera batteries and we took it on an 8 day fly in trip last fall. For this upcoming season I got the nomad 13 solar panel and inverter to go with it so we can charge the satellite phone if we need it. Just charge the Sherpa 50 before you leave from your house and you should be good for charging small devices on a week long trip.

martyonthewater
03-29-2015, 01:43 PM
I've got the Rhino 530 hcx. The alkaline AA spare battery pack is of very little use as anything other than an emergency backup for intermittent use. Won't even power radio option. Pre charging spare batteries is really the only way to go. That and a car charger.
Just my .02 cents

dog812
03-29-2015, 05:12 PM
Thus will be a 2 week fly in hunt.
Does the sherpa work with the Garmin rino?