PDA

View Full Version : Butchering book?

walnutz
03-26-2015, 10:25 AM
Decided this season if all goes well im going to start doing my own home butchering on smaller game. Wondering what book is the best for all around information on doing this. Deer will be about the largest animal i would consider doing myself. Cheers

Craddosk
03-26-2015, 10:53 AM
For larger game such as a deer, I would recommend Cut It, Gut It, Cook It. As for smaller game, I've found Youtube to be very informative.

03-26-2015, 11:42 AM
I dont know how a book will help.... unless it is very animal specific... Butchering is kinda something you just go and do and learn by fire.... The BBQ fire that is....
It isnt hard to see what will turn into a nice roast and what will turn into a nice steak..... and what is stew......

Some of the things i learned will never be in a book..... like,, once the animal is and cleaned immeadiatly cut rib meat out,Tenderloin out, flank off and shin meat. place ina glass bowl in fridge to age ( our deer hang in the garage )
This way you dont loose it when the animal dries out.

Make sure you set aside alot of time too,,, i stare at stuff sometimes deciding what im going to do.
but always remember..... when you butcher, there is no "Wrong" way. you are doing it for you, so if you mess up so what it is free.... you know all the threads guys put out " I think my butcher stole meat" you dont need to worry about that!
you cant steal what you own.... you will never question how clean the operation is,, because you did it!
just do it

BearStump
03-26-2015, 12:17 PM
Butchering your own is great. Tons of videos on you tube that will get yas going. You have the option to be as clean or fast as you want to be. I usually take my time and trim ALL of the silverskin and fat from every cut of meat, even the burger to an extent. Makes a big difference in the taste on your dinner plate. I never realized just how much garbage goes into your typical ground from a butcher untill I saw it done by a few "pro's" on youtube. Sure they can take a deer from hanging to cut in 20 minutes, but I prefer to take my time when butchering and NOT have to trim up every roast and steak I've got before I cook it.

BRvalley
03-26-2015, 12:37 PM
you tube, lots of you tube

you can get a decent meat grinder for $100-150

03-26-2015, 12:37 PM
Good thing about a full trim like Bearstump is talking about is,, if you "Trim it at the time of cooking" you loose the trim bits. If you trim it at butchering the trim bits can go to burger... not the silver stuff though!
i toss all my grindable trim into a bowl for the grinder

Gone_Fishin_
03-26-2015, 01:06 PM
YouTube will be your friend here. I've always butchered anything on my own. Was never taught or shown how to do it just started cutting and leaned from experience. I don't know all the fancy names for cuts of meat and such, to me a steak is a steak. Some may be tougher than others but still tastes like steak to me. I never bring anything to a butcher unless it is for some good sausages or something I don't know how to make. Even then when I bring it in I have already de-boned, trimmed up everything and cut into small chunks ready for the grinder. Saves huge on cost.

Youtube be has a bunch of great videos on most game you'll encounter. Right down to squirrels if your up for it.
I highly suggest to anyone who brings their whole deer in to the butcher, to bring it home and try one for yourself. I enjoy doing it and feel more accomplished from taking the animal from the field right to the freezer by myself. When I give someone a steak and they say it was one of the best they've ever had it makes me feel good knowing that came from me vs paying for a cut and wrap. (A cost I don't understand when it is easier than field dressing IMO)

metalface
03-26-2015, 01:27 PM
Rinella's got a book on the topic comin out in Aug fwiw

http://m.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-complete-guide-to-hunting-butchering-and-cooking-wild-game-steven-rinella/1119221314?ean=9780812994063

swampthing
03-26-2015, 01:36 PM
Decided this season if all goes well im going to start doing my own home butchering on smaller game. Wondering what book is the best for all around information on doing this. Deer will be about the largest animal i would consider doing myself. Cheers

I am like you with a book, rather than a computer. I have been doing my own meat for about 15 years and have been self taught. I have been a backpack guy so I heard about "de-boning". My first goat looked like bacon strips when I was done, cut it into way too many pieces. I have gotten considerably better at the task. Once your home and empty out your game bags it pretty easy to separate muscle groups to make roasts or steaks. Those are the only 2 cuts I make and couldn't tell you what kind of cut they are. My "scrap" or burger/sausage meat is very carefully trimmed and is always awesome. Buy a vacuum sealer for all the boring work .

butcher
03-26-2015, 01:38 PM
I'd be happy to offer lessons to anyone hunting in Clearwater in the fall. I don't but her professionally any more but have cut and wrapped a couple thousand deer. Buddy has a really nice meat shop at his house which I use all the time in return for doing his meat cutting.
Contrary to popular opinion knowing the proper cuts is fairly important as it makes the job way easier. I can bone out, cut and wrap a deer in about an hour and do a good job.

moosinaround
03-26-2015, 02:03 PM
I watch youtube vids on meat cutting. I have done a few deer, and a couple moose, and every animal I get a bit better. Still cannot get it as nice as my Swiss meat cutter, and I havent tried to make sausage yet. moosin

ajr5406
03-26-2015, 03:03 PM
I took a course with Eat Wild on butchery for hunters. It was really good and very informative. Basically 4 hours in a butcher shop in Van - half the time butchering a pig the "professional" way, and the other half butchering a pig as though you were in the field and killed an animal. I learned a lot and it was a great opportunity to actually practice on an animal supervised so you can ask questions as you make cuts etc.

As I dont really know many other hunters, it was the right decision for me, but an easier way would be just to watch an experience hunter do it and get your hands dirty.

Here is the course I did: http://www.eatwild.ca/butchering-workshop/

Steeleco
03-26-2015, 07:10 PM
I've got "deer processing 101" and "wild game processing" on DVD all you need to do is come get them to borrow for a spell. Send me a PM and we can hook up. If you come to pub night next week I'll trade you for a pint !!

walnutz
03-26-2015, 09:44 PM
Awesome steeleco that's sounds like a fair deal to me! I will send you a message and arrange it. Cheers and thanks everyone for the input.

drbb
03-26-2015, 10:29 PM
Basic butchering of livestock & game
John Mettler
Storey Publishing

scott_karana
03-27-2015, 10:25 AM
Found this last night, from the Yukon hunter education program. (Nearly an hour long! Sweet)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faNqIfQBUnU

sobirch
03-27-2015, 10:58 AM
here's a good link with photos.
https://shootingtime.com/deer-hunting-tips/butchering-deer/

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
03-27-2015, 11:09 PM
Buy a good meat saw.. save you a headache later . .