PDA

View Full Version : lowa boots

untilthelastbeat
03-25-2015, 06:53 PM
Saw them in a store the other day and just saw a commercial for them on wildtv. I'm in the market for good boots for sheep hunting but good enough to keep me warm in early dec deer hunting aswel. Anybody have anything to say about them?

Rackmastr
03-25-2015, 06:57 PM
If you want ones that will keep you a bit warmer in late season, take a look at the Hunter Extreme GTX.

I have the Lowa Tibet GTX and the Hunter Extreme GTX. Lowa makes an excellent boot. I've owned a bunch of brands but been wearing Lowa for several years now and simply cant find anything better for my feet.

604ksmith
03-25-2015, 07:00 PM
I have the Lowa Hunter Extreme GTX and absolutely love them. They're incredibly comfortable, 100% waterproof, and quite durable. I will definitely be buying another pair.

I should add I have a moderately narrow foot, and they fit great.

srupp
03-25-2015, 07:00 PM
Hmmm sheephunteralb has these as his sponsors?
One of this years dall sheephunters was here a vouple days and he was breaking in a new pair of kenetrecks..seemed light and well built..
Srupp

untilthelastbeat
03-25-2015, 07:02 PM
Thanks rackmastr. Have you done much hiking into the alpine with them?

mddat
03-25-2015, 08:44 PM
I have a pair of the tibets, only used them 4 times doing some shed hunting so far, they seem like a very well made boot, but my feet hate them. They felt comfortable in store but not out on the trails, probably gonna sell them and look for something else. The quality is definitely there thou.

lorneparker1
03-25-2015, 08:59 PM
I have a pair of the tibets, only used them 4 times doing some shed hunting so far, they seem like a very well made boot, but my feet hate them. They felt comfortable in store but not out on the trails, probably gonna sell them and look for something else. The quality is definitely there thou.

How many kms do you have them? Also do you have insoles?I own tibets as well and I was in 40 km or so of pure hell before they broke into the best boot ive ever owned.

Lorne

spear
03-25-2015, 09:15 PM
Lowa Tibet GTX look no further
Best boots i've ever owned, right outta the box

mddat
03-25-2015, 09:24 PM
How many kms do you have them? Also do you have insoles?I own tibets as well and I was in 40 km or so of pure hell before they broke into the best boot ive ever owned.

Lorne

I'd say only about 20k on them, haven't tried a different insole either. Maybe there just not broke in enough yet, I figured after 20km they should start to feel better but they still hurt.

Tīɡ
03-25-2015, 09:34 PM
I'd say only about 20k on them, haven't tried a different insole either. Maybe there just not broke in enough yet, I figured after 20km they should start to feel better but they still hurt.

I had a pair of north face hikers that took nearly 70kms before they started feeling good, after that they started to feel amazing! so you should still give the boots more time to break in.

decker9
03-25-2015, 09:42 PM
I have the hunter extreme gtx, love the boots up until late sept, mine are like walking in/on ice cubes once the ground freezes.

lorneparker1
03-25-2015, 09:58 PM

Get your self some superfeet green insoles and another 20 k on those boots before you give up on them!

blaker_99
03-25-2015, 10:02 PM
I have been kickin the crap out of my tibet GTX and they are dudable from wetlands to alpine they grab good in wet and dry. I cycle two pairs through but these boots broke in in about 20-30km mark. The rubber toe could come up higher it's just prone to peel back where it ends but mine have only minor peel and still keep my feet dry. Have probably 200+ km on them each and are both year and bit old still have another solid year left in them.

untilthelastbeat
03-25-2015, 10:31 PM
Anyone else have cold weather experience in them? I'm not really interested in paying 450 bucks for a boot I cant wear all year.

Rackmastr
03-26-2015, 07:58 AM
Thanks rackmastr. Have you done much hiking into the alpine with them?

Yes, I've worn out a couple pairs over the past 6-8 years hunting sheep, goats, grizz, elk, etc. Worn in all conditions and hunted over a few provinces and states. They perform flawlessly.

Ive worn them into December and some late season sheep and deer hunts, but I will say they aren't meant for 'winter' use IMO. Its hard to find a boot that will do 'year round' use and be as good in the summer as it will in the dead of winter without having colder feet. I've worn mine cat hunting and also in an Aug sheep hunt, but I also have a pair of 'winter' mountain boots for when the temps really drop.

untilthelastbeat
03-26-2015, 08:18 AM
Alrighty thanks again guys

Kopper
03-26-2015, 08:32 AM
Bought a pair of tibets last year. Only put a few km on before I hit the alpine. Funny part was we were taping up my dad's feet (he wears me meindl's) and not mine! Got them late summer at wholesale during one of their crazy sales, something like $260 after tax vs $419 for the sticker price. I did wear them thru deer season as well.... my feet really only got cold once it got into the double digit negatives and I sat around. Love the boot, would recommend a more insulated pair for all around use.

GoatGuy
03-26-2015, 11:47 AM
Mine shrunk after a couple weeks of use - they are now too small.

Rather unfortunate and as I understand it was a semi-common problem.

No help on the warranty front either.

BRvalley
03-26-2015, 11:58 AM
my first pair shrunk, customer service basically said somehow my fault for not properly cleaning and drying the boots...

regardless I bought the Tibet high ankle version in a half size larger and am very happy with them...being a half size larger also more heavy sock options so I did wear them November deer hunting, but not the first choice for sitting in a blind all day

doubled
03-26-2015, 01:00 PM
I have the Lowa Hunter Extreme GTX and absolutely love them. They're incredibly comfortable, 100% waterproof, and quite durable. I will definitely be buying another pair.

I have these as well and love them. Used them in all year with no issues. Feet were the only thing that I did not have problems with last year. Can't say I walk on the roads much but were awesome in December.
DD

Rocko
03-26-2015, 03:48 PM
Had the Tibets. Very comfortable, but the quality on my pair was questionable. The leather began ripping after the first tour. The rubber armor around the shoe got off. Customer service wouldn't take them back. Had to kick them in the bucket after 3 years. Had Meindl for 10 year's with the same amount of usage without problems. Right now I'm wearing Hanwag which seem to be even sturdier.

ryanb
03-26-2015, 03:49 PM
Mine shrunk as well. Never treated them any different than any other boot I've had and never had that problem before or since with different brands. I won't give Lowa any more of my money. Besides that problem they were lacking in padding and not very comfortable at all. Tibet gtx.

Duk Dog
03-26-2015, 04:04 PM
Been wearing the Tibet GTX for years and in all seasons. I also have the Lowa Bighorn Hunter which is insulated for later season stuff. As a general rule my feet run quite warm though so I've been comfortable in colder weather with just my Tibets.

Iltasyuko
03-28-2015, 01:11 PM
Have the Hunter GTX - high quality, fit great, no shrinkage.

wiggy
04-05-2015, 10:44 AM
Owned pretty well all of them. Had some great meindls limmers danners Hanwags but now all I hike in is lowas. Haven't put the miles on in the last few years from having children but things are about to change.
Good year I would put over a 100 days in hiking. Still looking for the dream lol.
I use the tibet gtx the most and then switch into the extremes for the bigger stuff
dont be scared to go a bit bigger extra insole when warm and then extra sock when cold. I've worn out good boots in less then 2 years. Keep them greased anything leather will shrink if you let it dry out. Cheers happy toes