PDA

View Full Version : Oops,well-intentioned, but tragically fatal, supplemental feeding by local residents.

Mountain Hunter
03-24-2015, 10:08 PM
A little late in the winter season, but a heads up as this has likely happened all across deer winter range here in BC & AB as well.

http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Newsroom/2015/deer-deaths-032315.html

itsy bitsy xj
03-24-2015, 10:20 PM
Your link leads to nothing

Mountain Hunter
03-24-2015, 10:25 PM
Well, Ooops for that as well. Try this:

http://www.wmur.com/escape-outside/12-deer-found-dead-in-south-hampton-after-being-fed-by-residents/31981324

Let me know if these keep going to dead end sites... thanks

Sofa King
03-24-2015, 10:27 PM
you really think it's a common occurrence around here?
why?
I've never, ever seen any deer-feeding through the winter.
and these winters the last couple years, its been pretty damn easy on the deer.

Mountain Hunter
03-24-2015, 10:45 PM
I didn't say it was common, but it has / and will happen in the future. Just some insight on supplemental feeding of deer and possible bad outcomes (when it happens suddenly their guts can't cope).

I guess when I said "all across" that may have sounded common but I meant it could happen from Fort St John to Cranbrook to Williams Lake to Kelowna...and other places in Alberta, wherever deer roam and we may feed them. Yes, the last couple winters have been mild...especially this one.

Sofa King
03-24-2015, 10:53 PM
I could see more-so, the city deer like in the koots and on the island this happening to.
bottom line is leave nature alone.
survival of the fittest.
if they can't feed themselves, then they aren't strong enough to survive.

and if it does happen with those city deer, the CO's should be acting with some enforcement.
but, usually a blind-eye is turned and nobody gets punished.

RadHimself
03-25-2015, 03:48 PM
..... another hippy.... great

lemme guess, salt licks, alphalfa cubes... anyhting along those likes that might be used as "bait" are killing the deer were trying to lure in.....

yet SUMHOW the ones living on or near large ranches... eating the same things the cows do.... dont die although they might contract a few awsome diseases

dragonslayer
03-25-2015, 04:09 PM
Cannot get on either site? Still does not equate to us in BC

gamehunter6o
03-25-2015, 06:10 PM
Feeding deer rapidly spread TB in Michigan and could well aid the spread of CWD in elk in Alberta.

Cordillera
03-25-2015, 07:08 PM
One of the big problems with well intentioned feeding is people provide hay or other forage late in the winter when the deers stomach has changed and can't digest it. They die with a full belly.

boxhitch
03-25-2015, 09:15 PM
B.C. gov. has a fact sheet on feeding ungulates .
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/wld/wldfact.html

REMINGTON JIM
03-25-2015, 11:02 PM
..... another hippy.... great

lemme guess, salt licks, alphalfa cubes... anyhting along those likes that might be used as "bait" are killing the deer were trying to lure in.....

yet SUMHOW the ones living on or near large ranches... eating the same things the cows do.... dont die although they might contract a few awsome diseases

Are you JELVIS's brother ? just wondering ! :confused: RJ