PDA

View Full Version : Info on 15hp Outboards

Cyrus
03-24-2015, 09:08 PM
If there is one thing the internet doesn't
actually have a lot of info on it is info on portable outboards. I have a wc-12
Lund with 9.9 Honda 4 stroke (sold the other day) which has been very reliable.
The Lund is a heavy wide boat and the 9.9 just will not get it onto plane when I
want to get off the big water.... The boat is rated for a 15hp and a call made
to a Lund dealer confirmed this applies to 4 strokes. I want to upgrade to a 15
(4 stroke) and narrowed it down to a Honda or Yamaha. The Yamaha does not have a
manual choke which kind of scares me as it is something I like to control. Also
it is 7 lbs heavier than the Honda....The Yamaha is currently about $300 cheaper
with rebates on sale price...Does anyone here have any real world experience
with some of the newer Yamaha's or Honda's? I do some lake trout fishing in the
hot months and hope with a trolling plate added it will go just as slow as my
9.9. If someone has any info about either motor I would like to hear it thanks!

Cyrus
03-24-2015, 09:09 PM
just hoping I can get it down to a slow trolling speed with the trolling plate...it worked very well for my 9.9. The Yamaha 15hp looks huge!

Daybreak
03-24-2015, 09:15 PM
I'm sure they are both a reliable motor. I run a 9.9 horsepower Honda and the only issue I've had in 6 years is the ignition module failed. Sealed unit, replacement only. I would caution you about the weight of a 15 horse 4 stroke. As long as you don't have to take it on and off by yourself too often it would probably manageable. They aren't light and I'm no spring chicken either so moving them around becomes a pain.

Cyrus
03-24-2015, 09:19 PM
..sorry should of added I trailer this boat...so no carrying around of the motor..

mikeboehm
03-24-2015, 09:22 PM
im a honda fan but i would look at Suzuki. lighter fuel injected and 6 year warranty. you can probably get it right down to desired trolling speed without a plate

http://www.suzuki.ca/?q=en/node/586

Cyrus
03-24-2015, 09:24 PM
im a honda fan but i would look at Suzuki. lighter fuel injected and 6 year warranty. you can probably get it right down to desired trolling speed without a plate

a little out of my price range...but have heard good reviews..

mikeboehm
03-24-2015, 09:30 PM
i just looked there cheaper than the hondas. right now there from $2970

itsy bitsy xj
03-24-2015, 09:34 PM
I had a 15hp Honda 4 stroke about 8 years ago. It was super heavy! but I could idle it down and troll with it on my 12 footer. super reliable but very heavy! Did I mention its very F@#king heavy hangin' off the back of my boat on the trailer

Edzzed
03-24-2015, 09:54 PM
I had an 8hp Honda 4 stroke which also had trouble getting on plane. I have a 12 ft Princecraft Ungava with a wide beam. The 4 stroke motors are heavy, Plain and simple. The further back you add any weight (you too) the harder it is to get on plain. Putting a 5 gallon tank at the bow can help but my solution was a 9.9 Yamaha 2 stroke. Much lighter and I can go on hp restricted lakes. Mind you I considered a 15hp with 9.9 engine cover. Still I went with 9.9. Fuel consumption is more than the 8hp Honda but hey 5 gallons will take me a very long way. And I have no trouble getting on plane, I have had people comment that not much of my boat is in the water at speed. It will do 34 kms per hour (gps)

Cyrus
03-24-2015, 10:01 PM
my 9.9 just could not get me on plane..Lunds are a very heavy boat compared to most out there though. I only fish big lakes with this boat and don't need to worry about the 10 hp restriciton

Cyrus
03-24-2015, 10:01 PM
I had a 15hp Honda 4 stroke about 8 years ago. It was super heavy! but I could idle it down and troll with it on my 12 footer. super reliable but very heavy! Did I mention its very F@#king heavy hangin' off the back of my boat on the trailer

did it cause some damage??

itsy bitsy xj
03-24-2015, 10:18 PM
no but I only had it for about a year and then got rid of it for a 15hp 2 stroke

srupp
03-25-2015, 12:24 AM
Hmmmm have a 9.9 honda 4 stroke...on a 12 foot lund..just use a extension and sit further forward for the tiller when ai want to jet on plane...also changed out to work pitch prop faster up on plane..love the combo sips fuel..will get up on plane, purrs idles down when I want it..atv, lawnmower, outboard, generator all Honda lawnmower is 22 years old ..thats my experience..
Steven

Sunzuki
03-25-2015, 10:46 AM
I'd go Yamaha. Two sitting here. One 30 and a newly acquired 20. Both two strokes.
I find the 30 on the back of my old big 14' Lund a tad brisk for real slow trolling. I put a bigger
wheel on and turned back the idle a tad. Passable.
The 20 I'm hoping will work so I can unload the 30 and the 8hp Johnson.
The 8 is great for the smaller lakes and is like a 4hp on the back of a 12'.
I bring a couple 5 gallon buckets with lids.
Fill with water and stick up front. Empty when done. Boulder in each so they
don't blow out the boat.

If I bought new, it would be a Yamaha and a two stroke wouldn't hurt my feelings.
Both my Yamahas have a hook under the hood for hooking a sling too.
Either use the chain block or forking lift to move them around.

ACB
03-25-2015, 10:53 AM
Have you ever had a look at the Evinrude E-Tec. They are very quite, I think the 15 horse is the smallest they make in E-Tec's. Too big to put on a plane just like any other 15 horse, but it's lighter than any 4 stroke just as quite,Fuel injected and they say less emissions than any 4 stroke. A buddy of mine has one in the 75 horse that he use's on the Fraser. I was super impressed by how quite it was, the fuel economy and had 2 stroke power. I had a 15 horse Yamaha on my 17ft. Double Eagle as a kicker it was too heavy and not enough power when you wanted it, my old smokey 15 horse Evinrude seahorse had more power. Worth a look.

Barracuda
03-25-2015, 01:32 PM
Its a myth that the two strokes are way lighter then the new four strokes

evenrude 15 is 114 lbs http://www.evinrude.com/en-au/engines/portable_engines/15r4

Honda 15 is 103 lbs http://marine.honda.ca/portables/BF15/specifications

Yamaha 15 is 111 lbs http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/details.php?model=4323&group=OB&catId=82#ts

Mercury 15 is 115 lbs https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/ca/engines/outboard/fourstroke/15-20-hp/#specifications

6.5x55
03-25-2015, 01:47 PM
my 2009 yamaha 15 2 stroke is 89 lbs that's why I chose it over the 4 stroke back then . Unfortunately I think that was the last year they were made. It has been an excellent motor , no problems.Might be an idea to look out for a good used 2 stroke.

Barracuda
03-25-2015, 02:13 PM
you can still get the twostrokes over seas

http://tohatsu.com.au/content/m15d2
http://www.yamaha-motor.com.au/products/marine-outboard/2-stroke-portable/11-15f

It used to be the 9.9 and the 15hp shared the same block but nowadays the 15hp and the 20hp share the same block hence the heavier weights of all of them .

in the the 9.9 Yamaha is 87 lbs Merc is 84lbs Honda is 93lbs and Evinrude is 81.5lbs so as you can see not a huge difference in weight between the 2stroke and four stroke .

.264winmag
03-25-2015, 04:07 PM
Ran a 15hp four stroke Yamaha as a trolling motor on a 23.5 ft fiberform for a couple weeks. Pushed that boat around fine, never missed a beat. The owner of the boat ran that kicker on his charter boat for over ten years with no issues. Tough to beat that. I know all I'd run for a kicker is a 9.9 yamaha 4stroke, you can't kill them if you do proper maintenance, 15hp should last forever too.

mikeboehm
03-25-2015, 04:33 PM
Its a myth that the two strokes are way lighter then the new four strokes

evenrude 15 is 114 lbs http://www.evinrude.com/en-au/engine...e_engines/15r4 (http://www.evinrude.com/en-au/engines/portable_engines/15r4)

Honda 15 is 103 lbs http://marine.honda.ca/portables/BF15/specifications

Yamaha 15 is 111 lbs http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/...OB&catId=82#ts (http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/details.php?model=4323&group=OB&catId=82#ts)

Mercury 15 is 115 lbs https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/ca/...specifications (https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/ca/engines/outboard/fourstroke/15-20-hp/#specifications)

You forgot Suzuki 15 is 97lbs http://www.suzuki.ca/?q=en/node/586

mikeboehm
03-25-2015, 04:37 PM
I bought a 2014 mercury 9.9hp shortshaft last year. pretty happy with it, it sips fuel and its quiet. 2 reasons i bought it over honda> price and 5 year warranty. suzuki has a 6 year warranty included. yamaha you have to pay for the warranty

Sitkaspruce
03-25-2015, 07:56 PM
I just bought an 8hp Tohatsu 4 stroke at 80 lb. They make all Mercs under 30 hp, all Nissans and have just signed a deal with Honda.

It was $800-$1000 cheaper than competitive motors and the lightest of all of them, plus comes with a 5 year warranty.

Check them out as they have great following in commercial use in the world.

Cheers

SS

Cyrus
03-25-2015, 08:07 PM
anyone have experience with suzuki. they are an efi which is only one in its class. the weight also has me interested...

Ozone
03-25-2015, 09:51 PM
We run Yamahas at work, great motors. Used to run Hondas but switched to Yamahas about 3 years ago. I have not heard a complaint yet. I will not get in a boat if it only has Suzukis on it.

BigfishCanada
03-25-2015, 09:54 PM
all the lakes in my area are 9.9 restricted, if they werent id get a 25hp

.264winmag
03-25-2015, 10:37 PM
I bought a 2014 mercury 9.9hp shortshaft last year. pretty happy with it, it sips fuel and its quiet. 2 reasons i bought it over honda> price and 5 year warranty. suzuki has a 6 year warranty included. yamaha you have to pay for the warranty
No need to buy warrantee with a Yamaha, good thing merc comes with it cause you'll need it!

RambleOn
03-25-2015, 10:51 PM
All Yamaha's for me. Have run 8, 9.9 and 15hp. All amazing. My 8 runs all day on the chuck. Leg and engine oil comes out clean at the end of the season. Have had Honda and Tohatsu. Both are good brands.

REMINGTON JIM
03-25-2015, 10:55 PM

YEA you NEED a long warranty with them Mercs etc ! YAMAHA not so much ! LOL RJ

Sunzuki
03-26-2015, 07:28 AM
Yamaha charges for their warranty for good reason.
They are telling you to keep your funds.
You don't need the warranty.

Gone_Fishin_
03-26-2015, 08:03 AM
all the lakes in my area are 9.9 restricted, if they werent id get a 25hp

Now sure about the newer engines... When i was younger my dad just ordered the upgraded carb kit for our Johnson 9.9 which turned it into a 15hp, since it had 9.9 decals on it and was stamped 9.9 never had an issues on any local lakes, but did get some looks when i'd pass guys with there 9.9 and i'd have more gear and people in the boat... lol.

Now own a 2006 Yamaha 9.9, starts with a half a pull, idles super low and is really quiet. I now use it for trolling on lakes. Gave up charging batteries and using the electric. We now either troll in reverse using the transom to slow us down a bit, or drag around a 5 gallon bucket with a hole in the bottom (drift sock) to slow us down that little extra when needed.

Jagermeister
03-26-2015, 08:58 AM
Don't worry about no choke on the Yamaha. It's just like your car. When it starts, it's high idle for a few minutes and then it settles right down. Go for electric start and charging because you're wanting to run depth finder so your going to need a battery. Might as well keep it topped up as you troll along.

mikeboehm
03-28-2015, 07:15 AM
The fact that u have to buy a warranty is not a good selling point. The warranty is your for protection. Yamaha and Hondas are awesome motors, that doesn't guarantee you won't have a problem. I'd rather have a warranty included than have to buy it extra.

r106
03-28-2015, 08:14 AM
The fact that u have to buy a warranty is not a good selling point. The warranty is your for protection. Yamaha and Hondas are awesome motors, that doesn't guarantee you won't have a problem. I'd rather have a warranty included than have to buy it extra.

There is no such thing as a free warranty, you always buy it. Just most of the time the mark up for it is included in the price

mikeboehm
03-28-2015, 08:18 AM
it doesn't really look like it if you're by Suzuki's or mercury. the prices are way lower than Yamaha and Honda

REMINGTON JIM
03-28-2015, 08:21 AM
I have 15 HP Yamaha on a G3 14 ft Yamaha boat - speed - performance is great and the Yamaha is flawless running - 100-1 mix with SYN oil ! RJ

BromBones
03-28-2015, 09:10 AM
I just bought an 8hp Tohatsu 4 stroke at 80 lb. They make all Mercs under 30 hp, all Nissans and have just signed a deal with Honda.

It was $800-$1000 cheaper than competitive motors and the lightest of all of them, plus comes with a 5 year warranty.

Check them out as they have great following in commercial use in the world.

Cheers

SS

x2 on the Tohatsu. Guys seem to think they're a Jap knock off but today if you buy a Merc, Nissan, and now I hear Evinrude, 30 hp and under it's made by Tohatsu. 5 yr warranty.

I have a new 20hp 4 stroke on my 16ft Naden and it's excellent. The 15 hp is the same motor, just restricted. 114 lbs for the base model with no power options which is what I have, manual start & manual choke. Fuel economy is crazy good - with 2 guys & a dog, gear for the day it literally sips fuel. Also has no trouble getting on step with 4 guys & gear, they have good torque.

You can order online at onlineoutboards.ca, they will ship all Tohatsu engines up to 20hp. Free shipping. They come with a fuel tank & lines all rigged, just add oil & do your break in. I think with their reputation & cost it's worth a hard look.

.264winmag
03-28-2015, 11:03 AM
Yamaha, I've ran the 9.9 for ten years on my guide boat. It's a 2001 that I came off another guide boat that buddy bought used from a dealership trade in lol. I've put thousands upon thousands of hours on it, let alone what was put on it prior. They are the best and well worth the extra money warranty or no warranty. They must have some warranty even if it's not extended? You realize the kind of maintenance you need to have done by the dealership for them to honor the extended warranty too? Been through it with a 175DF Suzuki, using 1 litre of oil/day still under warranty. Tore apart and rings were stuck in pistons. Junk rings, ended up not honouring warranty cause I missed a 200hr tune up/check. It's a scam trust me, dealerships just want your money. $20,000 motor and had to pay for rebuild after three seasons. Go ahead and purchase cause of warranty, but you won't be getting the best...

One Shot
03-28-2015, 09:32 PM
Go to your Mercury dealer. I believe that the 9.9 and 15 have the same bore and stroke, the difference is in the carb. There is a carb upgrade kit for the 9.9 to make a 15hp.

Stump
03-28-2015, 10:22 PM
I also have the 12 wc lund and a 2 stroke Yamaha 9.9 . I changed the reed valve assembly now its a 15 horse but still shows every thing as a 9.9. cheers

Cyrus
03-29-2015, 09:21 AM
have it narrowed down to Yamaha Honda and Suzuki. I am concerned about Yamaha's overall weight on the back of a 12ft and maybe the giant prop size which may troll to fast even with a plate. Honda is right in the middle of the weight dept but expensive and none around to look at it seems. They are also the most expensive. Suzuki at 97 lbs and efi has me interested but there sale ended and will have to see what if anything comes up. Of course with efi breakdown issues become harder to fix on the water. Just want to make sure I get the right one as I don't want a $3000 pile of junk...

Buck
03-29-2015, 10:20 AM
I only use my outboard for getting me to and from my destination and use an electric motor for trolling.I find 4 strokes to big and heavy so i use a 2 stroke smaller and lots of zip.15 2 stroke would move that boat along well.

mikeboehm
03-29-2015, 10:40 AM
I use my 4 stroke 9.9hp mercury for everything. Its super quiet. I don't use an electric motor. By the time you add the weight of an electric motor and battery plus the weight of a 2 stroke your way heavier that a 4 stroke