PDA

View Full Version : Need help for the road information into 7-37

alaska98
03-24-2015, 09:08 PM
Hi everybody, I got a spring Grizzly draw in 7-37. ang plan to go there in May. The question is My partner and me do not know the road status Up the Finlay FSR from Mackenzie along the west side of Williston Lake to Tsay Keh Dene. Today we heard from one cowboy work in north farm," the First Nations there do not allow hunters driving into 737, they block the road." Is that true? and how do we should do? anybody can help to give the information? Thanks.

604ksmith
03-24-2015, 09:35 PM
I've heard similar stories of road blockages, vehicle vandalism ect...it's a low percentage, but still something I would have a plan for.

I'd say the best thing is to try and speak to an elder or Chief in the area and let them know you're intentions are to be respectful of their area, beliefs and any other reasonable demands they MAY have of you. Also, letting them know you're not truck hunting or looking for just any bear helps (from what I hear). If he gives you clearance, you are usually good to go.

With that said, I still wouldn't push my luck or take a nice truck just in case. It is what it is.

alaska98
03-24-2015, 10:29 PM
I've heard similar stories of road blockages, vehicle vandalism ect...it's a low percentage, but still something I would have a plan for.

I'd say the best thing is to try and speak to an elder or Chief in the area and let them know you're intentions are to be respectful of their area, beliefs and any other reasonable demands they MAY have of you. Also, letting them know you're not truck hunting or looking for just any bear helps (from what I hear). If he gives you clearance, you are usually good to go.

With that said, I still wouldn't push my luck or take a nice truck just in case. It is what it is.
Thank you, brother, for telling me so much. and what "other reasonable demands" they may usually have of hunters?

604ksmith
03-25-2015, 08:02 AM
Sometimes they ask to inspect your harvest, and possibly share. With a grizzly, I would say thats more of a concern. If I were you I would pack out some of the better cuts of meat and offer them up. Overall, hunting grizzly solely for the hide is one of their biggest pet-peeves.

BRvalley
03-25-2015, 08:13 AM
How would you go about tracking down an elder or chief in the area?

StuBrown
03-25-2015, 09:03 AM
Their Band office is in Prince George. I believe this is the number. 250-562-8882.

StuBrown
03-25-2015, 09:04 AM
Their website. http://tsaykeh.com/

StuBrown
03-25-2015, 09:06 AM
I guess I should check further before just posting a bunch. There is a place to contact and fill in a form on the website if you are hunting there.

canadiancon
03-25-2015, 06:44 PM
Have made a few trips up that way, even stopping in the reserve and getting fuel, never had any problems with natives, Never called ahead either.

alaska98
03-25-2015, 07:15 PM
Have made a few trips up that way, even stopping in the reserve and getting fuel, never had any problems with natives, Never called ahead either.
Great! Thanks for telling me this. and where to get fuel near 737 ?

ducktoller
03-25-2015, 07:41 PM

Im sure enough antagonism happens both ways that simply the courtesy goes far.

moosinaround
03-25-2015, 08:14 PM
Great! Thanks for telling me this. and where to get fuel near 737 ?
When I was working up there, I always carried cash, no interact or credit cards! I bartered a bit up there too, my air pump to use for a sat phone call, spare gas, for some loaves of bread. Like Swampthing has said, take all that you will need with you, rely on yourself, and stay to yourself. If you have to wander in to the reserve, respect speed limits, try to be as humble as you would anywhere else. I have bought fuel at the reserve, but it is a cash business! Moosin

moosinaround
03-25-2015, 08:16 PM
Sometimes they ask to inspect your harvest, and possibly share. With a grizzly, I would say thats more of a concern. If I were you I would pack out some of the better cuts of meat and offer them up. Overall, hunting grizzly solely for the hide is one of their biggest pet-peeves.
When I asked an Elder for permission for camping with my work crew, he was actually fleshing a nice silver tip grizz he had shot while brushing and weeding that day. Made more with the hide than he did brushing that day!! Moosin

scoutlt1
03-25-2015, 08:32 PM
It amazes me what people have come to take for granted and be "ok" with.

I need to go on-line and fill out a "Resident Hunter Check-in Form" on some stupid website so I can apparently comply with some native agreement, hope my truck doesn't get vandalised, need to "offer up" part of my legal kill, only carry cash, talk to some old people first, who's head offices are in PG, so I don't offend some kind of native traditions and beliefs??

F**k that. It makes me want to make a point of heading up that way, to hunt whatever the hell I can, and hope the f**k I come across a so-called "roadblock".

This whole thing is getting so f***ing stupid and out of hand...

I've just about had it.

moosinaround
03-25-2015, 08:53 PM
It amazes me what people have come to take for granted and be "ok" with.

I need to go on-line and fill out a "Resident Hunter Check-in Form" on some stupid website so I can apparently comply with some native agreement, hope my truck doesn't get vandalised, need to "offer up" part of my legal kill, only carry cash, talk to some old people first, who's head offices are in PG, so I don't offend some kind of native traditions and beliefs??

F**k that. It makes me want to make a point of heading up that way, to hunt whatever the hell I can, and hope the f**k I come across a so-called "roadblock".

This whole thing is getting so f***ing stupid and out of hand...

I've just about had it.

Seriously, do it! That would be some funny $hit on the news!

scoutlt1
03-25-2015, 09:08 PM
Would be the same useless "reporting" that we've been fed for a long time.
I doubt it would be "funny" though....

Trigger Happy
03-26-2015, 01:34 AM
I'm also from Mackenzie and drew a grizz tag. I've talked to a lot of people regarding that area 7-38,7-37. I also dont want to check in and let them know I'm in the area either. Been told to camp off main roads, small fire not to allow smoke signals, put up signs saying no booze and video surveillance, they will loot your truck and burn it. If walking around, empty your vehicle and hide your shit in camo rubbermaids and stash it in the bush. Have heard of armed standoffs but will shoot for my life if someone blocks me or tries to pull me over, they still scalp us white boys up there. Also don't use your radio because a lot of the residents have them in their homes and not their vehicles which gives them your location. We have a right to hunt there and sharing your meat is BS. Bring a few spare tires. Chances of blowing a few tires is the norm up there, fuel up tank and gas cans at 7/11 in Mackenzie and can fuel up at Manson creek on your way back. Their open Tues to Sat 9-9 pm. You can call Vic and has propane also. I'm going up mid April to check the roads and run off. Will take pics and post here. Any questions just send me a pm

alaska98
03-26-2015, 09:37 PM
I'm also from Mackenzie and drew a grizz tag. I've talked to a lot of people regarding that area 7-38,7-37. I also dont want to check in and let them know I'm in the area either. Been told to camp off main roads, small fire not to allow smoke signals, put up signs saying no booze and video surveillance, they will loot your truck and burn it. If walking around, empty your vehicle and hide your shit in camo rubbermaids and stash it in the bush. Have heard of armed standoffs but will shoot for my life if someone blocks me or tries to pull me over, they still scalp us white boys up there. Also don't use your radio because a lot of the residents have them in their homes and not their vehicles which gives them your location. We have a right to hunt there and sharing your meat is BS. Bring a few spare tires. Chances of blowing a few tires is the norm up there, fuel up tank and gas cans at 7/11 in Mackenzie and can fuel up at Manson creek on your way back. Their open Tues to Sat 9-9 pm. You can call Vic and has propane also. I'm going up mid April to check the roads and run off. Will take pics and post here. Any questions just send me a pm
Thanks for telling me so much useful things. I will send you some pm for more questions.