PDA

View Full Version : preserving a cape??

Dale
04-07-2007, 05:36 PM
when its hot outside what is the best way to preserve your cape? salt?

Gateholio
04-07-2007, 05:46 PM
salt and lots of it

srupp
04-07-2007, 06:55 PM
also know how to turn the ears and split the lips....get as much fat and blood off and lots of salt..

Steven

BearSniper
04-07-2007, 07:21 PM
Salt,

Lots and lots of salt. Noniodized. I get it at Costco in the 20 lb bags for about
$4 bucks.

Spread it 2 inches (10cm) thick. If you cover all of it the flies don't have a chance.

Salt will keep it indefinitely until you taxidermy it or whatever.

good luck

mikek blacktail
04-07-2007, 07:42 PM
put it in a cooler if yah have one

Sitkaspruce
04-07-2007, 08:16 PM
Flesh your cape as best you can, turn the ears, split the lips and then cover it on salt. Roll it up and put it in a game bag so it drains. Take it out the next day and shake off all the salt, then re apply another heavy dose of salt, roll it up and put it in a double bag. If it has lots of fat and you do not flesh it, repeat the above again once more and then put it in a bag. Make sure that you get rid of as much moisture as you can. If you are near home, forget the salt, just flesh it, turn the ears, split the lips and freeze it, do not apply salt and most important, do not tell the better half that she has a cape of a dead animal in her freezer:lol:

You can talk to your Taxidermist to help you learn how to turn the ears and split the lips.

lip_ripper00
04-07-2007, 09:25 PM
how long will a cape last in the freezer? I have one thats been in since last spring :redface:. I have been wondering if its still salvageable.

boxhitch
04-07-2007, 09:58 PM
Good reply, Sitka.
Avoid getting blood on the hair, as is reasonable. It will stain, and cannot be bleached like Dalls or Goats.
Don't overlook splitting the nose and eyes.
No need for excess salt. Find the wet spots when changing salt, and rub more into these worst spots.
Be careful to get the salt right out to the edges, which may roll and be overlooked.
Flys are not an issue as eggs will die due to salt.
After 48 hrs, cape can be hung to drip/air dry, so you don't have to pack the water out too. Avoid direct sunlight.

Gamebuster
04-07-2007, 10:44 PM
On a backpack hunt, how much salt do you fellas pack in? Or how much is needed per cape?

StoneChaser
04-08-2007, 12:01 AM
On a backpack hunt, how much salt do you fellas pack in? Or how much is needed per cape?

3 lbs will do a great job on a sheep cape....

BearSniper
04-08-2007, 06:46 AM
Hey Sitkaspruce,

I liked your answer.:smile:

A deep freeze is the best option if you can get it there quickly.

But may I add a friendly amendment ?

Unless you want world war three, (when the wife finds out your game kill hide is next to her special pastry shells or strawberry swirl), get a used deep freeze of your own in the buy & sell and put it in the garage.

I think a few of us here might get shoved into the deep freeze by our significant others if they found out whats in the bag.:evil: I know its strange that she won't mind if packaged deer or moose steaks are in the deep freeze, but tell her its a fur and she'll go ballistic:mad:

Just my 2 cents.

Sitkaspruce
04-08-2007, 09:24 AM
how long will a cape last in the freezer? I have one thats been in since last spring :redface:. I have been wondering if its still salvageable.

Lip_ripper00

Your cape should be ok. I would get it to a taxidermist though as you will get freezer burn on the ears, nose and around the edges. If you cannot afford the get what you want mounted right away, at least get the cape tanned or ask your taxidermist if you can make payments. Most will take at least a year to complete a mount and during that time you can make payments of a few dollars when you can. It makes it a lot easier when it is done to just go pay it off what little you owe and pick it up.

Jimbo
04-08-2007, 12:14 PM
I've been told it's not a good idea to freeze a salted hide. Any thoughts on this ??

Shop Lord
04-08-2007, 12:44 PM
You should do one or the other; not both.

elkguide
04-08-2007, 10:04 PM
I've been told it's not a good idea to freeze a salted hide. Any thoughts on this ?? There is nothing wrong with freezing a salted cape or hide as long as it is sealed well. I had a salted Elk cape in my freezer for almost 3 years before I could afford to have it mounted...it was fine........also most people forget to split the nose and eye lids.....very important........