PDA

View Full Version : new hunter asking for bear advice

greenhornhunter
03-24-2015, 10:06 AM
Hey everyone, i am as green as they come. I have a few friends who hunt and i want to plan a spring bear hunt. I was thinking somewhere close to the fraser valley. Was kind of thinking the chilliwack lake area. Any recommendations? Advice?

drag
03-24-2015, 10:22 AM
if your going to hunt chilliwack try bench road and go up thurston mt rd off bench rd go high up . Hard place to hunt unless you walk in from the roads lots of poeple and weekend shooters

greenhornhunter
03-24-2015, 10:28 AM
Also willing to go out to hope, any good spots out there?

Wild one
03-24-2015, 10:48 AM
You stand a chance in most areas in region 2 but your odds will increase heading out of the lower mainland. Head north of Boston bar into region 3 would be better.

Think of it this way do you want to run a lot of day trips close to home or take a few days at once farther out. Odds are you will burn less fuel and days to get a bear heading farther out than staying close to home.

two-feet
03-24-2015, 10:51 AM
Also willing to go out to hope, any good spots out there?
If there are several guys going then split on gas and get out of the fraser valley. If you leave at 3am you can be in great hunting by 8am. Odds of success will increase and you will get to see some new country.

Thats what i would do any how.

greenhornhunter
03-24-2015, 11:39 AM
Thanks guys, my problem is getting more time off work, hence the closer the better. But boston bar isnt out of of the question

Wentrot
03-24-2015, 11:41 AM
Nothing wrong with staying in the fraser valley. Plenty of bears, pick an fsr and go explore.

heatherdaddy
03-24-2015, 12:11 PM
For the Hope area try the Skagit, I am heading out on the long weekend to the Skagit to try for Bears and put out my trail cams. Lots of Bear sign there.

greenhornhunter
03-24-2015, 01:00 PM
Thank you so much

ducktoller
03-24-2015, 07:04 PM
Thank you so much

Try and check in on FSR status, can be sketchy in some places this time of year. Washouts. Gonna rain a lot the next couple days.

Sea to sky country can be good too, but TOUGH TOUGH country. I also only see bears there when I DONT have my rifle.