PDA

View Full Version : Just a backpacking food thread sheep hunt

leadpillproductions
03-23-2015, 10:06 PM
Lets do a food list for backpacking sheep hunt 10-14 day trip

leadpillproductions
03-23-2015, 10:13 PM
BREAKFAST 2 oatmeals daily 14 total
SNACKS 14 granola bars/energy bars, (dehydrated beef jerky not sure on amount? yet)
like a few cans of oysters nice to have 2 cans
dehydrated bananas
DINNER 14 mountain house
14 energy shots
28 water supplements (e-mergency)
This is what I have so far

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
03-23-2015, 10:35 PM
oh perfect . id love to hear this in detail . .brands ,amounts , flavors , homemade . .im trying to put together a shopping list !. So far i have Poptarts , Trail mix , Instant oatmeal . Starbucks ready brew , Kind fruit bars .

Duidery
03-23-2015, 11:10 PM
A Days Worth of Food on a Sheep Hunt

1 Mountain House blueberries and granola breakfast
1 package Honey Stinger energy chews
1 snack size ziploc of Peanut M&Ms or chocolate covered blueberries
1 energy bar (Clif or Power Bar)
1 Mountain House pro pack dinner
1 Nuun drink tablet (will try Emergen C this year)
1 cup hot chocolate

I may also add some homemade elk or moose jerky this year too.

mudbud
03-24-2015, 12:23 AM
Typical day for me:

Breakfast - dried fruit, choc coffee beans, fig newton bar - if I ever eat another pack of oatmeal it will be too soon, plus it saves on needing to cook
Lunch, choc bar (better than most protein or energy bars), cliff bar, trailmix, jerky, fruit bar, hard cheese and dry sausage and pita
Dinner, homemade dehydrated meals, best thing I ever did, you actually look forward to dinner, and actually eat it all. I found most of those Mountain House meals so bad I threw half the meal away every night, plus they are grossly overpriced.

Oysters must be popular, I seem to find the cans everywhere.....

.264winmag
03-24-2015, 09:02 AM
X10 on the oatmeal staying at the store, can't force it down anymore and burns up more fuel. Switched to Vector for breakfast, add water and done.
for ten days:
11 mountain house meals
20 40g vector bars
600g vector cereal
200 ml Mio sport
300g cashews
40 8g hot rods
200g banana chips

Harv
03-24-2015, 09:11 AM
with all the typical stuff, i also brought a small jar of penut butter on my last hunt. it really sticks with you. also a couple different types of cured meats and cheese (baby bell), you can add them into your mountain house dinners to spruce them up a bit because they start to get pretty bland after 5 or 6th day

Tenacious Billy
03-24-2015, 09:16 AM
It's good to sneak a few beers in the pack of your hunting partner without them knowing. Once you summit a bitch of climb and said partner lets you in on the plan, you've never tasted anything so good.....

Rubicon500
03-24-2015, 09:21 AM
58 Grams Beef Jerky ED
45 Grams Mixed Salted Nuts ED
2 Quest Protien Bars ED
MH Blueberry Granola Breakfest
MH Dinner Assorted Flavours Pro Pak
MH Deserts 3 for 12 Day Trip
5 Mr Noodles for 12 Day Trip
10 Grams BCAA Powder ED
3 Packs of NUUNS Electolytes For 12 Days
1 Chocolate Bar EOD
1 Sunrype Bar EOD
Packets of Instant Ice Tea , guy gets thirsty up there and the water taste like Shit some areas
Keep bag Steak Spice in pack as well I found myself eating it at random times Dip a finger in haha

This is my refined list after last year , Never went hungry and actually didn't loose to much weight managed to only drop 7 lbs not the 20+ like usuall
Some of you guys are picky eaters , have never had a bad mountain house dinner and Ive ate close to 200 of them now haha

Rob
03-24-2015, 10:01 AM
Breakfast:
Granola with dried fruit and powdered milk in a ziplok baggie

Throughout the day:
trail mix
cliff bar or substitute
sun rype bar
jerky homemade
emergen C

Dinner:
Homemade dehydrated dinner in a ziplok

RoverHound
03-24-2015, 11:41 AM
Typical day for me:

Breakfast - dried fruit, choc coffee beans, fig newton bar - if I ever eat another pack of oatmeal it will be too soon, plus it saves on needing to cook
Lunch, choc bar (better than most protein or energy bars), cliff bar, trailmix, jerky, fruit bar, hard cheese and dry sausage and pita
Dinner, homemade dehydrated meals, best thing I ever did, you actually look forward to dinner, and actually eat it all. I found most of those Mountain House meals so bad I threw half the meal away every night, plus they are grossly overpriced.

Oysters must be popular, I seem to find the cans everywhere.....

How you making these homemade dehydrated meals? I'm real interested in doing this myself. Definitely get gut rot from all the salt in mountain house.

Rob
03-24-2015, 12:02 PM
How you making these homemade dehydrated meals? I'm real interested in doing this myself. Definitely get gut rot from all the salt in mountain house.

Pretty easy actually, Sidekicks come out to about 5 oz when dehydrated, lots of good recipes to be made with Mr Noodles (not the seasoning). A can of Libby's brown beans weighs 1 lb out of the can but comes in at 5 oz when dehydrated, just add some water and dehydrated veggies etc.. I keep my food in a ziplok then add water and eat it out of the bag. Im not a fan of the mountain house, ill eat it but prefer to make my own. Buy a dehydrator (I just picked one up at Canadian tire foe 55 bucks as mine died) and start playing with recipes

.264winmag
03-24-2015, 12:25 PM
Quite enjoy MH, pretty sure it's freeze dried not dehydrated? Tough to get similar characteristics just dehydrating I'd think. Anyway I'll leave that to the professionals for now, homemade jerky is all I'd DIY...

mudbud
03-24-2015, 12:38 PM
Home dehydrated is very easy. Make yourself chilli for dinner, exactly how you normally would, but try to keep the big chunks down to a minimum, dehydrate the leftovers, put in ziplocks in the freezer, they last forever. Do the same thing with spaghetti, kraft dinner with sausage, sidekicks, thick soups dehydrate very well, rice meals dehydrate well, can add chicken, tuna etc.

Another bonus is you don't have a 1 oz tinfoil bag and oxygen absorber to deal with either.

mudbud
03-24-2015, 12:45 PM
To rehydrate I throw my meal (for 2) in a titanium pot, put in just enough water to cover. I usually let it sit for awhile to minimize cooking time. Set up the tent and get all that ready, then cook dinner. 1 Esbit tablet will usually cook a meal for 2 of us.

warnniklz
03-24-2015, 12:46 PM
My feed bag usually consist of (per day)

Breakfast:
1 vector bar
1 powerbar

Lunch:
Beef Jerkey
Cliff Block Shots
Snickers bar
Dried cranberries
Ritter sport bar

Dinner:
Mountain House

I also toss in a couple itchiban for those cold wet days, seems to bring up the morale. I may also go from emergen-c to milo sport... not sure yet

I mAy switch from cranberries to bananna chips. Been also thinking pretty seriously on a small thing of peanut butter.

I always seem to have a craving for coke and A&W whenever I get off a mountain. So I usually have a bottle of coke back at the vehicle.

teelt
03-24-2015, 01:03 PM
Typical for myself each day
1 oatmeal - handful of sliced almond and apricots
1 coffee (Starbucks pouches)

lunch -
trail mix
Jerky
2 bars (cliff/pro bar)
ichiban noodles ( has 400 cal compared to mr noodles which has 100)

dinner
mounttain house ( chicken Saigon, Jamaican bbq chicken, sweet sour pork) anything over 800 calories per meal

extras nuun tablets and e-mergenc packets. I like the mixture of both to change it up and give different nutrients
dark chocolate or some Candy.

Approx 1.2 lbs per day. I've done it without taking the ichiban noodles but it's great having the extra energy and food. Also depending on the time of hunt ill take only 1 ichiban per 2 days.

Barracuda
03-24-2015, 03:18 PM
surprised no one has mentioned whey protein . That's a standard for us . enough protein to make sure your body can repair is essential.

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
03-24-2015, 05:09 PM
oh by the way . Emergen -C Acai berry 1000mg packets box of 30 .. So good !. Way better than the Orange .

rifleman
03-24-2015, 06:28 PM
good to see what others like & use.

Each day

MH breakfast & dried fruit
granola with nuts & fruit

Lunch

energy bar
jerky
emergen-c
snickers
trailmix (nuts, seeds & fruit)

super
MH (good ones only)
dark chocolate

teelt
03-24-2015, 06:29 PM
Keep bag Steak Spice in pack as well I found myself eating it at random times Dip a finger in haha

haha
Good call. I forgot about that. I carry a jet boil pan with a montreal steak spice and garlic salt. Similar to the picture here! Yum sheep tenderloin with montreal steak cooked in sheep fathttp://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q623/teelt1/DSCF2858_zpsmlzociqp.jpg (http://s1167.photobucket.com/user/teelt1/media/DSCF2858_zpsmlzociqp.jpg.html)

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
03-24-2015, 08:55 PM
Sweet .. but i cant see myself packing the the rest of the cooking stuff ,the pan and everything . maybe one day i will . i dont mind eating and living like a bird for a few days if it means keeping weight down and moving faster. Dont get me wrong . i love to eat . I need to get some dehydrate recipes tho . anyone care to share some ? and how you make them excatlty ?

leadpillproductions
03-24-2015, 09:37 PM
Awsome pic
Good call. I forgot about that. I carry a jet boil pan with a montreal steak spice and garlic salt. Similar to the picture here! Yum sheep tenderloin with montreal steak cooked in sheep fathttp://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q623/teelt1/DSCF2858_zpsmlzociqp.jpg (http://s1167.photobucket.com/user/teelt1/media/DSCF2858_zpsmlzociqp.jpg.html)

leadpillproductions
03-24-2015, 10:20 PM
Breakfast oat meal 2 packs or mountain house breakfasts?

teelt
03-25-2015, 07:14 AM
Sweet .. but i cant see myself packing the the rest of the cooking stuff ,the pan and everything . maybe one day i will . i dont mind eating and living like a bird for a few days if it means keeping weight down and moving faster. Dont get me wrong . i love to eat . I need to get some dehydrate recipes tho . anyone care to share some ? and how you make them excatlty ?

jetboil pan weighs 10 oz. with the attached plate underneath so I don't mind it for fresh sheep tenderloin

.264winmag
03-25-2015, 08:02 AM
Home dehydrated is very easy. Make yourself chilli for dinner, exactly how you normally would, but try to keep the big chunks down to a minimum, dehydrate the leftovers, put in ziplocks in the freezer, they last forever. Do the same thing with spaghetti, kraft dinner with sausage, sidekicks, thick soups dehydrate very well, rice meals dehydrate well, can add chicken, tuna etc.

Another bonus is you don't have a 1 oz tinfoil bag and oxygen absorber to deal with either.

I only take one MH cooking bag with me, rest of meals get put into ziplocks. Always have the titanium cooking pot to use just in case. Cuts down enough weight/bulk to have an extra days worth of grub. Pick meals with the most calories for weight, same with snacks. Calories keep you going! Love the sheep cooking pic, nothing like fresh sheep liver/heart to lift the spirits!

leadpillproductions
03-26-2015, 08:46 AM
What do you think will be better to take along dehydrated apples or bananas

Wild Images
03-26-2015, 08:51 AM
What do you think will be better to take along dehydrated apples or bananas

Bananas for potassium

geoskier
03-26-2015, 02:14 PM
Last summer my buddy and I worked much harder than we should have on our early season sheep hunt. We didn't have complete beta on the area and ended up having to change drainages which was a serious effort. Basically 1200m of scrambling with 70lbs packs plus 10l (22lbs) of water just in case something happened. Either way, we figured that day alone we burned ~7500 calories (9 hours of non stop bushwacking then scrambling). Most days we figure were 2000 calories with the occasional 4000 calorie day (hike out). What I am getting at is that you burn a f. load on sheep hunts. Ideally, you aren't hiking that much and you are glassing most of the time. It doesn't always work out that way, especially if it is your first time in an area and you are trying to get a lay of the land.

So with that in mind, we both lost a lot of weight. I lost about 8lbs and he lost 12. We were both very fit (100 days of aggressive mountain biking last year). We found that all we were ever talking about was food. We had ~2000 calories a day in a similar meal plan as noted here: oatmeal (2) w extra honey, starbucks vias, dried fruit/nuts/candy/jerky mix, energy bars, rehydration crystals, mountain house for dinner, and a bunch of instant noodles/bagged peanut butter for lunch on bigger days.

I don't go sheep hunting to get in shape or lose fat so this year will be much higher calorie (3000/day with an extra 750 calories for half the days). Some things that did work out really well were premixing couscous with curry powder and dried veggies. It was nice to have a real meal opposed to mountain house (I think all freeze dried meals are absolutely disgusting except when flat out exhausted).

We recently started trying out other options. Dried potato flakes w bacon bits and dried green onions. Add a pack of gravy. That's a real quick snack that fills you up fairly well and can be done at lunch if you are hungry and have a big push to go.

Other things I will bring more of: Jerky (1/2 pp/pd, chocolate, more peanut butter, more instant noodles (much better varieties than mr noodles if you can get to an asian grocer), some bagged tuna, dense rye bread, butter/oil, flour/baking/salt soda mix (bannock).

I'm willing to add 5lbs of weight for super high density foods.

One goes sheep hunting on their vacation so they may as well bring some good food!

mudbud
03-26-2015, 03:56 PM
Check out "moose goo" It is corn flour, honey and peanut butter mixed together. It tastes great, packs pretty well and is crazy high in calories/protein/fat. I often eat it with dry tortillas or pita bread.

http://www.ultralightbackpacker.com/moosegoo.html

warnniklz
03-26-2015, 09:25 PM
Has anyone ever packed pemican or dry bannock mix out backpacking?

300mag
03-26-2015, 11:07 PM
We usually pack a dry bannock mix in. Store it in a safe location if we know we are going to come back the same way. We usually also pack in peanut butter packets and jam packets. It sure makes of an awesome dessert after some backstraps on the fire. Other than that we go super lite. Mountain house is purely by preference. I like the stroganoff but my partner likes the spicy meals. We also pack minute rice to complement the meals sometimes. It sure fills u up. Lots of trial an error to figure it out. The new gels and high energy snacks are a huge benefit for making the PUSh after an animal. I have a list of food for 10 days, if interested pm me.

.264winmag
03-29-2015, 05:53 PM
Last summer my buddy and I worked much harder than we should have on our early season sheep hunt. We didn't have complete beta on the area and ended up having to change drainages which was a serious effort. Basically 1200m of scrambling with 70lbs packs plus 10l (22lbs) of water just in case something happened. Either way, we figured that day alone we burned ~7500 calories (9 hours of non stop bushwacking then scrambling). Most days we figure were 2000 calories with the occasional 4000 calorie day (hike out). What I am getting at is that you burn a f. load on sheep hunts. Ideally, you aren't hiking that much and you are glassing most of the time. It doesn't always work out that way, especially if it is your first time in an area and you are trying to get a lay of the land.

So with that in mind, we both lost a lot of weight. I lost about 8lbs and he lost 12. We were both very fit (100 days of aggressive mountain biking last year). We found that all we were ever talking about was food. We had ~2000 calories a day in a similar meal plan as noted here: oatmeal (2) w extra honey, starbucks vias, dried fruit/nuts/candy/jerky mix, energy bars, rehydration crystals, mountain house for dinner, and a bunch of instant noodles/bagged peanut butter for lunch on bigger days.

I don't go sheep hunting to get in shape or lose fat so this year will be much higher calorie (3000/day with an extra 750 calories for half the days). Some things that did work out really well were premixing couscous with curry powder and dried veggies. It was nice to have a real meal opposed to mountain house (I think all freeze dried meals are absolutely disgusting except when flat out exhausted).

We recently started trying out other options. Dried potato flakes w bacon bits and dried green onions. Add a pack of gravy. That's a real quick snack that fills you up fairly well and can be done at lunch if you are hungry and have a big push to go.

Other things I will bring more of: Jerky (1/2 pp/pd, chocolate, more peanut butter, more instant noodles (much better varieties than mr noodles if you can get to an asian grocer), some bagged tuna, dense rye bread, butter/oil, flour/baking/salt soda mix (bannock).

I'm willing to add 5lbs of weight for super high density foods.

One goes sheep hunting on their vacation so they may as well bring some good food!

Did lots of research before last seasons trek. 7500 calories is burnt on an average day from what I've found. My daily intake was calculated out to 5000 calories, good number to shoot for. It's not so much what you enjoy but what keeps you going! I'm only 165# and I'll burn 10# easy on a ten day hunt! that's the price you pay and what keeps the traffic in the mountains down:)

leadpillproductions
03-29-2015, 06:18 PM
Think last sheep hunt I was on lost 21 lbs lol

longstonec
03-29-2015, 06:37 PM
Try dehydrating some bull kelp hair/fronds. Fairly high in salt, and tastes like a good mushroom almost. Its great to add into stuff. Not the stuff you find on the beach. Have to pull it up fresh.

Stone Sheep Steve
03-29-2015, 07:23 PM
Generally I lose about a pound/day...give or take depending out how the hunt plays out. I'm okay with that.

Dre
03-29-2015, 08:36 PM
All right. Not too original, but here it is per day.

Breakfast:
1 coffee from single packet
1 granola bar
1 fruit/nut bar

Lunch:
1 cliff bar
1 nut packet 57g or granola bar
40-50g home made jerky or dried sausage
30-40g cheese

Dinner:
1 MH dinner, most are good, I like the pastas the best
1/2 choc/nut bar (30g)
1 coffee from single packet

I always bring 1 day extra, which allows me a little extra here and there as needed and once in November, I had to spend an extra night and needed all of it. I also add some variance by substituting an apple or 2 for the first day or 2, Noodle Time soup (re-packaged for compactness) and some different flavour bars.

I loose about a lb a day, but only if I'm climbing a lot.

leadpillproductions
03-29-2015, 08:57 PM
Ill prob have a bit extra food at lake if I do a loop trip

kitnayakwa77
03-31-2015, 12:04 PM
Breakfast: oatmeal with nuts, hemp seeds, powdered milk and butter; coffee
Lunch: homemade jerky, pepperoni, Clif Bars, couple of Babybel cheese, butter tea in thermos, Vega Sport hydrator
Dinner: homemade dehydrated curry or chili, and minute rice, chocolate

Big fan of butter. Weighs a lot but pays off in energy over the course of the day. Plus you can use little pieces of the foil wrapper to oil your gun.
If I had to choke down all the MH people are talking about I would only go in the mtns for day-trips. Homemade dehydrated is way better and cheaper.

BearStump
03-31-2015, 03:58 PM
A dehaydrator is a must have. I've got two of em. Cook up some ground beef/venison/chicken, whatever you want. dehydrate it and portion it out into small baggies. bring along a bag aof rice or noodles and spices. DONE! No need to eat mountain house every day.

leadpillproductions
04-19-2015, 08:09 PM
Makin some jerkin tonight. How much jerky do you like to take on your hunts?

Stone Sheep Steve
04-19-2015, 08:30 PM
Makin some jerkin tonight. How much jerky do you like to take on your hunts?

About a pound per week.

Taylor329
04-20-2015, 10:19 PM
I've been on one sheep hunt so far and we used oatmeal, protein bars, trail mix, mountain house, instant cup of soup packs, tuna snack packs, and beef jerky to name a few. One thing that didn't work out so well for me was that mountain house uses milk as an ingredient. I have a slight intolerance to milk and it made my allergies flare up (runny nose, sniffles, sneezing, itchy eyes) not so good when trying to spot and stalk sheep!! Does anybody know of a milk-free alternative? It would be great if it was something you could buy off the shelf, but if I have to make it from scratch, so be it.

.264winmag
08-16-2015, 06:03 PM
Just getting sheep gear ready, brought vector cereal for breakfast last year, left a bit to be desired with just water even though still better and faster than oatmeal. Came up with this concoction yesterday.
1 cup 'edge' protein cereal
1/4 cup vector granola
4 tbsp powdered milk
1 cup water and mix up, down the hatch. Tried a bowl and actually finished it.
store individual portions in sandwich ziplocks then stuff all into large freezer ziploc ready for mornings.
could substitute any cereal/granola and maybe an extra tbsp of milk but this mix has the following stats per breaky:
110grams by weight, 450 calories, 30grams protein.
Cheap, easy n quick to get ya back glassing first light.
Happy hiking and good luck to everyone.

wsquared
08-16-2015, 10:33 PM
Have a look at Backpacker's pantry, similar packaging to MH.
In my opinion, much better tasting, and more higher calorie options.
Recently did a taste test( at home) on some Heather's Choice dehy meals. Found out about them in Journal of Mountain hunting.
Supper meals are net 4 oz, small packaging, approx. 600 calories and 20-30 g of protein. Does have higher(900) calorie planned, not yet available.
BUT, ship from USA, so depends how bad you want some variety.

StuBrown
08-16-2015, 10:40 PM
For years when I was on the road working where we had to bring all of our own food with us I would put a scoop of protein powder in my morning oatmeal. Its a good way to get it in you and depending on the flavor you get it makes it a little better to eat after eating oatmeal 10 days in a row.

NorBC
08-16-2015, 10:51 PM
I bring up olive oil to add to my meals. Very calorie dense. A couple tea spoons adds a
couple 100 extra calories to your freeze dried.

.264winmag
08-17-2015, 07:00 AM
Olive oil is a great trick, I prefer butter though:)
Heathers' choice sounds like a great product but pretty pricey! Would try my own dehy first, no time for me so mh and bp it is. I also like a box of hot rod pep sticks, they have a few calories lol

2tins
08-17-2015, 11:33 AM
What are you guys using for energy bars? I think I've eaten my last Cliff Bar.

.264winmag
08-17-2015, 11:37 AM
Vector bars for me, should change it up a but before sick of them too!

wideopenthrottle
08-17-2015, 11:38 AM
It's good to sneak a few beers in the pack of your hunting partner without them knowing. Once you summit a bitch of climb and said partner lets you in on the plan, you've never tasted anything so good.....

especially if you slipped them into his pack before the hill climb...heheheheh

.264winmag
08-17-2015, 11:39 AM
especially if you slipped them into his pack before the hill climb...heheheheh
Yesssssssss

wsquared
08-17-2015, 08:04 PM
Too many Clif bars on a trip, it'll be like trying to pass a dry brick!
Found ProBars at a local Health food store, MEC carries them as well. About 350 calories /bar, no chalky after taste.
I usually eat two/day on a sheep trip and no issues:-D!

.264winmag
05-19-2018, 07:33 PM
Looking for a good thread to bump regarding backpack hunting grub. I've got my go to stuff like backpackers pantry Pad Thai, couple different mtn house, vector cereal with powdered milk and protein powder, vector bars, apple chips, emergen c, jerky, salt n pepper for fresh oil filter n pump;)

Always on the lookout for other lightweight choices. Stumbled upon some of these visiting some family today:

https://www.livestrong.com/article/439186-how-to-prepare-roasted-soybeans/

I picked up a quart Mason jar full expecting it to weigh as much as peanuts etc. Light as a feather! Tried a few, these were not salted or seasoned at all and they were pretty darn tasty!
Looked up some nutritional info and they sound like a good addition to the arsenal.

Also wondering if anyone has a secret weapon for a potassium supplement? Help fend of cramps on those tough days...

Currently have my 12 day pack down to 55# and that's with a 10# rifle but no water. I'm pretty much fasting at that weight lol, usually lose 10# in 7+ days. Fall through a storm grate after HA. Like to start bringing some more lightweight grub.

In light, out heavy :)

Cheers

Andrewh
05-20-2018, 09:08 AM
*****GET A DEHYDRATOR*****

It will pay for itself after the first trip of not having to pay for crappy mountain house meals.

The way I do it -

dehydrate 'base' separate:
- cook rice as normal then dehydrate
- cooked pasta noodles (little shells work very well, lots of surface area)

Dehydrate 'mains' as follows and make dinners that will make your partners drool. I did this last year and I could barely finish my meals and the nutritional value was not even in the same ballpark as a mountain house meal.

- sheep curry in slow cooker
- butter chicken in slow cooker (shred chicken after cooking and before tossing in dehydrator)
- tomato sauce with large amount of veggies and cooked venison grind.
- pulled pork
- stone sheep chili

Basically you can make a meal and toss in dehydrator until totally crisp. I start by putting the 'sauces' on parchment paper until it hardens up and then remove and place directly on screen so it dries from both sides. Dry until 'crisp' and easily breakable. I then pack the mains with the bases in separate bags for each day. It is IMPORTANT to dry the bases and mains separate as they have significantly different drying times.

I weigh out portions and find this is about 1.4 times the amount of food as a mountain house and weighs less with less waste after the fact. 6oz is the total for each mixture and I usually end up giving away my leftovers to the people forcing down a mountain house and still looking for more;)

To rehydrate, simply empty ziplock into this bowl, close lid and wait for 8-10 minutes. https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5050-849/Fair-Share-Mug-II

Other notables to dehydrate:
- pineapple slices (better than bad sex)
- mushrooms slices (add to any meal)
- zucchini (entire zuc fits in palm of hand after drying, I took a total of 4 zucchini on last trip)
- yam slices

andrew

KBC
05-20-2018, 09:38 AM
Since I’ve recently cut a bunch of stuff out of my diet I need to start making my own dehydrated meals. A recent episode of the Hunt Backcountry podcast was with the guy that has the website backpackingchef.com. Lots of great info on dehydrating your own meals.

Jrax
05-20-2018, 10:31 AM
I started dehydrating my own last year as well, made a large pot of elk chili and butter chicken then dehydrated. I put in quality ingredients and made two servings per bag - I tend to eat little during the day so I like to pack it on at dinner. Even at basecamp it was nice not to do a cook up but just boil water, add the package and enjoy with a beer.

howa1500
05-20-2018, 11:29 AM
For breakfast, I prepare at home a mix of Hemp Seed, powder peanut butter (PB2), flax seeds, oatmeal, cinnamon. Mix with water at breakfast (hot or cold) and its awesome.

I bring a lot of snacks, bars, trail mix, etc, as I find I enjoy little bites throughout the day.

Also it's always worth it to me to bring hot sauce with me.

.264winmag
05-20-2018, 05:00 PM
I started dehydrating my own last year as well, made a large pot of elk chili and butter chicken then dehydrated. I put in quality ingredients and made two servings per bag - I tend to eat little during the day so I like to pack it on at dinner. Even at basecamp it was nice not to do a cook up but just boil water, add the package and enjoy with a beer.

Beer in sheep/goat country? Yer tougher than I;)

.264winmag
05-20-2018, 05:11 PM
I do run a couple dehydraters, got jerky and fruit dialled in but the meals are usually a flop and don't rehydrate for shit. Tried the smallest pasta noodles too. So far not worth my time n effort:(

.264winmag
05-20-2018, 05:24 PM
Hmmm maybe I need the fair share mug 2, I just been reusing freeze dried meal bag...

huntfish
06-10-2018, 01:17 PM
Hmmm maybe I need the fair share mug 2, I just been reusing freeze dried meal bag...

You can buy 5mm bags from 72hours.ca, I have a vacuum packer, buy these bags and repack the #10 cans, into personal meals

Astepanuk
06-10-2018, 01:41 PM
I understand the oatmeal haters but I still enjoy a nice warm breakfast after waking up from a chilly tent. I pack the typical mountain house meals per day. One thing i really enjoy is the Idaho powder potatoes they are really filling and taste great. Also pack the same most trail mix and cliff bars during the day.

todbartell
06-10-2018, 01:48 PM
chocolate coconut chews, mango pomegranate chews, reese mini cups, 147kal per oz (turns into an unappetizing smashed bag of chocolate shit, likely will change this one out in future)
Trail Mix with almonds, cashews, cranberries, blueberries, cherries, chocolate almonds, & chocolate acai berries, 142kal per oz
Cliff Bar, nut butter filled, 127kal per oz
dry salami, 120kal per oz
Lipton chicken cup a soup, 115kal per oz (nice to cook up midday when glassing)
Cliff Builder protein bar, 113kal per oz
Mtn House dinner, various, avg is approx 77kal per oz

Coming in at 1.4lbs per day (w/ MH) , 2680 kcal . Approx breakdown of 28% fats, 56% carbs, 16% protein

mmckimmi
06-10-2018, 02:21 PM
For anything less than four days / three nights I like cook pretty decent meals. Doing so means you're carrying a bit more weight but I feel it's worth it.

Burritos, breakfast or dinner:

Dehydrated black beans and ground venison
Deli meats
Bell pepper - optional but they keep relatively well at elevation.
Old fort cheese
Pesto torts

Deli meats keep pretty well in the cool alpine environment and can be used with dinner / breakfast.

Breakfast bagels:
Have you ever noticed the little Nalgene bottles that MEC sells. They come in various sizes, shapes and neck diameter? A bomb proof way to bring eggs- real eggs into the back country is to crack the eggs into these small Nalgene bottles. I can fit two small eggs into the bottles I have with little to no air left over.

Everything bagels
Deli meats
Cheese
REAL eggs
Bell pepper - optional

Pro Bar makes satchels of peanut and almond butter. They're 32 grams. Good fat content.
DIY trail mix can far exceed the kal / ounce value of most bars out there. Might be heavier...
Nuun tablets are a must.
landjaeger to go with lunch or deer/ bear pepperoni. Good salt content for those high output days.
Starbucks Via packets for coffee
Honey stinger waffles are way to tasty and very addictive, haha!

Here is a pretty cool article with recipes discussing the stoveless method. If you wanna go all out in terms of ultra light and zero comfort look no further haha.
It includes a 1200 calorie breakfast shake. I've been using a modified shake recipe and it's pretty good.
https://www.gohunt.com/read/skills/the-stoveless-backcountry-hunting-food-list#gs.l41NGGs

Big guns
07-19-2018, 12:08 PM
A few things I add is chocolate covered coffee beans and some pre workout powder before those nasty long climbs, really helps out. And salt pills as I get older really keeps the cramping away in the legs.

twoSevenO
07-26-2018, 09:49 AM
Switch it up .... last time I brought dried mangoes and cashews and pepperoni as my daily lunch .... for like 4 days in a row. I cant even stand to look at another fricken cashew.

Stipid thing to do not switching it up and bringing some peanuts and almonds etc.

Jordan f.
08-25-2018, 09:04 AM
Anybody eating the Solo bars? My buddy who sheep hunts introduced me to them on a bear hunt. Never buying a cliff bar again.

twoSevenO
08-25-2018, 11:31 AM
guys does baybel cheese or any similar type keep well out of the fridge?

I want to take more fat & protein snacks and less complex carbs foods.

Thanks!

Blockcaver
08-25-2018, 01:15 PM
Hard cheese like Asiago does well for me sheep hunting for 10+ days...not so for aged cheddar. It turns to a greasy mess that falls apart. I ate it anyway on a recent hunt, but back to Asiago for the future.

Frank grimes
08-25-2018, 02:41 PM
Anyone looking for some mountain house alternative for dinner should check some of Andrew skurka recipes. Cheaper and they digest way better. I like the beans and rice, and the peanut noodles.

mod7rem
09-01-2018, 02:38 PM
After 15 years of sheep hunting I think I finally have the food figured out for me. This year for a 14 day trip we took:

-one MH granola with blueberries for breakfast
-one Greenbelly meal bar package for lunch
-one MH meal for dinner.

My brother ate just these three (just over 1 lb/day) and never felt like he needed more.
We always carry calcium with magnesium tablets for leg cramps, works great.

I also took 3/8 oz packets of olive oil that I found at Outdoor Herbivore. I added one packet to the breakfast and one packet to the dinner. I also added one clif bar per day and one small 28g package of Oberto beef jerky from Costco.
There was enough fats that I never had any distracting hunger problems and I probably would have been fine without the Clif bar and jerky. The clif bar I just had as a feel good treat after dinner even though I didn’t feel I needed it, and the jerky was a really nice addition to lunch even though the Greenbelly meal bars are filling.

This is the simplest, lightest, most hunger satisfying meal plan we have had yet.

In our early years of eating instant oatmeal, sidekicks, pita bread, chocolate bars, etc, hunger was a constant battle and distraction.

Most of the food I normally eat is vegetables, so I know it would be better to get into dehydrating home cooked meals, but for now I’m just not willing to spend the extra time cooking and dehydrating.
I may get into dehydrating veggies to add to MH meals to start with though.

AgSilver
10-15-2018, 04:50 PM
I'm going to try to word this in such a way as to not breach advertising rules....but if anyone's looking to buy a bunch of MH meals, there's a certain warehouse's US site that current has a great deal on (if you can get it shipped to a US address). Mine arrives on Wednesday. Works out to roughly $6 CAD/pouch. Pretty good price.

warnniklz
03-21-2019, 12:18 PM
Doing some sheep spread sheeting. Not even eating the food yet and I'm looking for a little more variety. I do have a dehydrator I gotta get going again. I'll be experimenting with that soon enough. But here's what I've got so far...

Day 1 (1.85 pounds, 3924 calories or 132 cal/oz)
POP TART - 52grams - 190calories
ALMONDS - 100grams - 576Calories
TWIZZLERS - 100grams - 356calories
MR. NOODLE - 84grams - 380calories
JERKY - 28grams - 80calories
90% DARK CHOCOLATE - 100grams - 600calories
AVOCADO OIL - 25ml - 221calories (to be poured in Mountain House)
PARMESAN CHEESE - 100grams - 431calories (to be added to instant potatoes)
IDAHOAN INSTANT POTATOES - 114grams - 440calories
MH BEEF STROGANOFF - 136grams - 650calories

Day 2 (1.85 pounds, 4015 calories or 135 cal/oz)
POP TART - 52grams - 190calories
PEANUT M&M -100grams - 504calories
BUTTER -100grams - 717calories (added to instant potatoes)
PARMESAN CHEESE - 100grams - 431calories (added to mountain house)
DRIED BANANA CHIPS - 34grams - 170calories
MtnH SPAGHETTI - 128grams - 575calories
PURE PROTEIN CHOC BAR - 50grams - 200calories
SNICKERS - 52grams - 254calories
REESE PB CUPS - 51grams - 264calories
GOLDFISH CRACKERS - 100grams - 504calories

Day 3 (1.92lbs 3939calories or 128cal/oz)
ALMONDS - 100grams - 576Calories
AVOCADO OIL - 25ml - 221calories (into mountain house)
PARMESAN CHEESE - 100grams - 431calories (into instant potatoes)
RITTER SPORT BAR - 100grams - 560calories
MtnH PASTA PRIMIVERA - 136grams - 525calories

Day 4 (1.88lbs, 3947calories or 131cal/oz)
90% DARK CHOCOLATE - 100grams - 600calories
BUTTER -100grams - 717calories (added to potatoes)
BABYBEL CHEESE - 20grams - 45calories
GOLDFISH CRACKERS - 100grams - 504calories
MtnH BEEF STEW - 122grams - 475calories

warnniklz
06-23-2020, 09:45 AM
I was told people have been playing around with baby food on the mountain.

That got me to thinking of pureeing food and dehydrating... Not sure if that's the way to go??

264mag
06-23-2020, 12:22 PM
Baby food, interesting. Based on the diaper changing days I don’t think I want to try that! I started making my own dehydrated meals a couple years ago and it is a game changer. I have a 12 day sheep hunt coming and we likely not have to eat the same menu item twice for dinner. You can cook whatever you want and adjust the portion size to accommodate individual appetites .