PDA

View Full Version : a week for bears

Steelpulse
03-23-2015, 05:41 PM
Well hunting is again upon us, bear sighting? Kamloops area? Anyone? I know the leh numbers need crunching but we still have to hunt next week, so what are the plans I know I'm gonna get another bear out of 319 and hoping for a hawg this year, not a blonde like last year but might take a blonde hawg, (not a bar joke), this year,

But seriously is kamloops area greening? Anyone seeing activity? Probably won't actually shoot one until june but never know

604ksmith
03-23-2015, 05:49 PM
I was in the area North of Kamloops and East of Clinton last weekend. Not much green that I could see, but with the rain it should be coming soon.

I didn't see any bears, but I did black bear scat in two different areas. I'd say they're out and about.

Trav
03-23-2015, 06:50 PM
Saw a sow and two cubs on the hill above my house on March 6th. Not much green above the valley bottom yet though.

emerson
03-23-2015, 08:52 PM
Just seeing the first hint of green in the bowl in PG. Probably a few weeks for the FSRs to be snow free still.

caddisguy
03-24-2015, 07:24 AM
I was hiking around about 10 days ago hanging Region 2 cams. I didn't see any bears or signs, but there was a fair bit of green. It might be tough hunting in my valley this year, as I do not expect they will be as concentrated in the valley bottoms, but there will certainly be some. Ticks were out and grouse were drumming up a storm. I'll be taking a crack at it on opening weekend.

604ksmith
03-24-2015, 07:44 AM
Just seeing the first hint of green in the bowl in PG. Probably a few weeks for the FSRs to be snow free still.

I drove the 700 road around Bear Lake on Sunday. Lakes still hold a thin ice, creeks are free-running, and about 50% of the road itself is still covered in about 2-5cm of fresh snow. However, cutblocks and open slopes have long been snow-free, but the shaded and thick areas still have 18 inches of snow or so.

Saw a few good bear tracks. One went for about 6km straight down the road. Lots of wolf sign out that way to. But it's 7-16 so thats expected.

Gone_Fishin_
03-24-2015, 07:49 AM
Was out Saturday for a 6 hour hike with the pup. Did not see any sign, some fresh growth starting in the open south slopes, this was Region 2 close to home..

Lots of deer sign though, firts time having the pup out where i let her work the roads/forest by herself. Found 1 grouse, 2 bunnies and pointed them out like a champ, hopefully good things to come with her.

thought i spotted my first BB but after 20 minutes of squinting and the pup wining "lets go dad" i determined it was in fact the elusive and dangerous "stump bear", many more of those to come.

Seen my first few robins, so only have 996 more to go before i see any game... lol

itsy bitsy xj
03-24-2015, 08:44 AM
thought i spotted my first BB but after 20 minutes of squinting and the pup wining "lets go dad" i determined it was in fact the elusive and dangerous "stump bear", many more of those to come.

Be very careful, those things move fast and will get you when you're not looking

two-feet
03-24-2015, 11:00 AM
Saw my first bear yesterday, Smithers area. Not much green yet though

Ltbullken
03-24-2015, 12:12 PM
With the early snow melt, the slopes should be greening up sooner than last year in Reg 3. Wouldn't hurt to go check the productive spots for activity in early April. Still lots of snow in the high country though.

walks with deer
03-24-2015, 08:06 PM
They taste awfull in April in my experience let them eat then kill them.

Trigger Happy
03-26-2015, 01:47 AM
I'm 2 hrs north of Prince George and the bears HAVE awakened :). Good luck

Backwoods
03-29-2015, 02:40 PM
just seen a large grizzly today up in the peace region, was out shed hunting, spotted him roughly 600 yards away, seemed like he just woke up