PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly hunt in Revelstoke, any tips?

DarekG
03-23-2015, 10:19 AM
Hey All,

I am still quite new to hunting, my brother and his hunting partners are not. My brother managed to draw a tag for a Grizzly in the Revelstoke area and I was wondering if anyone had any tips or tricks for hunting them, things to be aware of, etc? Are they just like hunting any other big animal?

While my bro will have a .300, I will likely be carrying a 30-06 as that is what is available to me.

I will also have a tag for a black bear, and am hoping to get mine on the same trip. Ambitious I know, but why the hell not!
I'm trying to get as much knowledge beforehand as possible.

Liveforthehunt
03-23-2015, 10:27 AM
What region revelstoke ? Could be a start... not quite like hunting any other big game... the main difference is if that bear gets ahold of you one heavy hit with those claws and it will take your head clean off. Lol no big deal. Lots of grizz and Blackies around Revy I could help you out more if you told me the region

monasheemountainman
03-23-2015, 10:54 AM
you will get your black bear for sure! good luck Id try to go early like 2nd-3rd week of april and look for any green growing in the avalanche chutes, bring snow shoes and hope to be lucky with your timing!

Seeker
03-23-2015, 03:30 PM
You will have a blast on your first G Bear hunt. There is something pretty exciting about actually pursuing the big bruins rather than chance encounters. When it comes to black bear, you are most likely to fill your tag first before your brother does. Loads of black bears in the Revelstoke area.

Which MU would be beneficial in trying to help you out.

Find south facing slide paths in the area and glass those. Same for clear cuts, but they love slide paths.The ones just prior to foliage emergence aids in visualizing the bears. Once the alders start to green up, visibility goes for a shitter. They are similar to other animals in that they don't like human encroachment, so if you can find an area with limited human influence, that would be a great place to start. The country around Revelstoke is incredibly beautiful and rugged. Vegetation is thick and sight lines limited. One thing you can count on is steep, oh did I say steep!

As for your calibers, both are fine, 150 grain plus in the TSX, 180 plus in most other bullets seems to be the general consensus here on HBC. As for timing, that is the magic question, the locals I know normally look at around 3rd week in May for that area, this year most likely will be a little earlier. Good luck.

GrandA
03-23-2015, 04:16 PM
What area? I may be able to help. Got one out of there. .

BCHunterTV
03-23-2015, 04:23 PM
ask Srupp aka the grizzly whisper

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
03-23-2015, 10:40 PM
Im free . anytime im only 2 hours away . would love to come scope out a grizzly . be your personal photographer .

moosinaround
03-23-2015, 10:55 PM
Tuna sandwiches in your bros pack! May be considered baiting though!��moosin

DarekG
03-24-2015, 03:15 PM
Thanks for all the advice so far guys, exactly the sort of info I was looking for!

MU is 4-40.

@Golden Top Sniper: I appreciate the offer but I think the plan is to hike out and possible camp a couple of nights, my brother actual does some filming for hunting shows so we're all geared out for pics and video. That being said Hopefully I can post a cool story for everyone in a few months. :)

Rackmastr
03-24-2015, 03:23 PM
Thanks for all the advice so far guys, exactly the sort of info I was looking for!

MU is 4-40.

@Golden Top Sniper: I appreciate the offer but I think the plan is to hike out and possible camp a couple of nights, my brother actual does some filming for hunting shows so we're all geared out for pics and video. That being said Hopefully I can post a cool story for everyone in a few months. :)

Looks like a cool MU for sure when I was researching the area. Having a good boat/barge system to get access into a lot of it looks important.

Hope the hunt goes well, cant provide any specific info for you but guessing a few guys around here will have some info to share.

coach
03-24-2015, 03:58 PM

MU is 4-40.

There's a bunch of pictures of the northern end of 4-40 - wood arm area of Kinbasket lake in this thread: http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?77031-My-2011-R8-Boner-WT-buck

Golden Top Sniper probably has good Intel on the southern end - accessed through Donald.

Good of luck on your hunt. Looking forward to a full report!

Kopper
03-24-2015, 04:09 PM
That is a good draw as it is remote and has a great population of bears. Lots of big ones have been taken out of there. Your access is limited to driving the Bush River fsr up and take the land bridge across the Bush Arm. I have seen this road closed before the land bridge in the past. Haven't been to the drive able end in some time so I can't comment there. I think taking a boat across from Mica is your best bet as it allows you to get farther up 4-40 and easily can hunt the shoreline as it greens up. At this time of year the reservoir is low which yields a big ass green up. Big griz and black bears on the shoreline alone. Plus all the great hiking you can do up the valleys.

REMINGTON JIM
03-24-2015, 04:24 PM
Tuna sandwiches in your bros pack! May be considered baiting though!😜moosin

Wrong :p these are Mountain G Bears - not coastal bears - they like Rainbow Trout over tuna ;-) RJ

Salmon Belly
12-30-2015, 09:32 AM
How did you make out??

SB

Hey All,

I am still quite new to hunting, my brother and his hunting partners are not. My brother managed to draw a tag for a Grizzly in the Revelstoke area and I was wondering if anyone had any tips or tricks for hunting them, things to be aware of, etc? Are they just like hunting any other big animal?

While my bro will have a .300, I will likely be carrying a 30-06 as that is what is available to me.

I will also have a tag for a black bear, and am hoping to get mine on the same trip. Ambitious I know, but why the hell not!
I'm trying to get as much knowledge beforehand as possible.